Stephen King ‘It’ to Be Remade

Stephen King
Stephen King’s clown slasher film, It, is being remade and revamped in a two-part series. Talented newcomer Cary Fukunaga will be co-writing (along with Chase Palmer) and directing. This horror classic turned the iconic childhood figure of a friendly clown into a child-eating monster.

Stephen King published his bestselling horror novel It in 1986 under Viking Press. After great reviews, It was developed into a TV miniseries aired on ABC. Tommy Lee Wallace directed and co-wrote, along with Stephen King and Lawrence Cohen. The series was a hit and even won an Emmy for its musical score composed by Richard Bellis. The cast included a number of very talented twelve-year-old child stars, and Tim Curry as the killer clown himself.

To some, clowns are extremely scary even when they are not evil, but to most they are funny thespians painted up. Therefore, the idea of a monster clown is very silly, and most movies that portray the concept do an awful job. That is, until Tim Curry’s legendary performance as Pennywise the Dancing Clown. Curry brings a lot of energy to every bizarre character he plays, but Pennywise showed a dark demented side to his acting never before seen. This role could have easily made scary look more like ridiculous, but was flawlessly executed by the seasoned actor. Although fans rave how Curry should stage a comeback with the new films, that most likely will not be the case. This leaves fans eager to see who will be the new face of this classic killer.

Cary Fukunaga definitely has his work cut out for him if he is going to please the crowd. Although Fukunaga has only directed a handful of films, his track record is untarnished. His first big film, Sin Nobre, was a popular 2009 movie released in Mexico. However, he did not come into the limelight until Jane Eyre in 2011. The dark romance film was nominated for an Oscar for its costume design. Since then, he has been working with HBO on their popular True Detective series.

Stephen King’s new “It” remake is already shaping up to be increasingly more violent and bloody than the original. The film follows a group of people who were attacked by Pennywise as children one summer but survived. 30 years later, they return to their hometown to reunite the Losers Club.  Pennywise has returned and started taking children again, leaving behind nothing but blood splatters and body parts. Although no one in the group remembers what happened during their encounters with Pennywise, it is up to them to somehow stop him.

From the sounds of the plot, the new It movie could easily be a sequel as opposed to a remake, considering the first movie followed the kids and not the adults. One of the most creepy things about It was that he hurt children, which is one of the few subjects that can still elicit a reaction out of horror movie goers. Horror movies are making a fierce comeback, and Stephen King’s It remake is rumored to be released sometime in 2015.

By Morgan Louchen

IMDB
Hollywood Reporter
Shortlist

30 Responses to "Stephen King ‘It’ to Be Remade"

1. akbar   October 17, 2014 at 9:45 am

Agree with Daniel…I mean, you almost had it Morgan. The original movie does in fact follow both the children and adults. Honest mistake. Anyway, you should get around to reading the book and watching the movie sometime. They’re actually very good.

2. Andrew   September 28, 2014 at 10:13 pm

Very pleased with the choice of Carey Fukunaga. His work on True Detective is phenomenal (in addition to his previous creations). I believe his unique artistic vision will translate very well into the realm of supernatural horror!

3. Thomas Anthony Borja   August 29, 2014 at 8:10 am

if clowns are “funny thespians” then why do they need bright colors and painted smiles to attract people….they are all psychos

4. Daniel   August 16, 2014 at 3:35 pm

From this article, I gather you haven’t actually read or followed the original correctly. The story is not a sequel; the story follows the characters through their childhood AND their adulthood. Get it right if you’re going to write about it.

5. Gina   August 13, 2014 at 8:15 pm

it is a slasher film??? are you serious??? … insulting

6. cool   August 4, 2014 at 3:54 am

nice! cool

7. clair perera   July 26, 2014 at 10:39 am

Should use Neil Young ‘s song Hey Hey My My on the soundtrack as King quotes from it in the book- ‘out of the blue and into the black’

8. kristi   July 20, 2014 at 8:06 pm

Did you even watch “It”? The movie begins with the adults getting together and trying to remember what happened in their childhood, because the magic of the creature caused them to forget. The book itself is HUGE and gives a detailed background of each character right up to when they went back to Derry to battle “It” once again. To say that this new movie will be more like a sequel rather than a remake just shows your lack of knowledge of the subject matter. Do some research before you write and for godssake read the book before you watch the movie!

9. Stormi D Johnson   July 11, 2014 at 8:02 pm

Nobody but Tim Curry can be Pennywise and that is that..if they make him scarier to try and get people to accept it’s not him..won’t make the clown better just worse..why not leave good movies alone.

10. Bob M   July 10, 2014 at 9:10 am

I think a lot of people are more into Tim Curry than they are into the actual story…

I also am a fan of Curry, but a novel or film is bigger than any one actor. I don’t think that Pennywise is going to look anywhere near as human in the next one and if that is the case, I doubt many would be able to really tell who the actor is anyways.

Whatever the case, Curry has already proven he can do it, and that says something. I think that they should release more info on this film. No info usually is a bad sign.

• Cody Hart   July 10, 2014 at 9:39 am

I agree with that dont get me wrong and yes I did love time curry as pennywise as I mentioned but I for love the story line I loved the book and yes with this one If they do it right they should follow more of the book and more in depth but in my opinion I really think curry could do it again,I dont think anyone else besides him should play pennywise,look at how the newest nightmare on elm street came out,and I liked the guy who played freddy,he did a good job as Rorschach in The Watchmen but it did not do well as a remake bandits mainly cuz nobody can replace the original freddy no matter how good it is and everyone can agree it would have done and made 100% more especially to original fans if Robert Englund came back and played it again,I get that the point was to start over but it just didnt work out,same with “IT” they should just not ruin a movie and let curry play as pennywise,he was scary to alot of people then and could play the weird psychotic part just as we seen in rocky horror picture show,or even fern gully and that was just just voice,and I am 99.9% sure he could do it again and would LOVE to even at his age,yes as I said they do need to focus more on the story and stuff but they should not take away the one person that MADE “IT” as pennywise popular by his acting

11. Cody   July 7, 2014 at 10:42 pm

Tim curry may be older than he should be in certain movies….BUT at the same time this was HIS and Stephen King AND everyone else who did this movies golden ticket,sure the graphics and stuff weren’t the BEST but what do you expect from an early 90’s movie,in my opinion and I love tim curry as an actor,and every other film he’s in and like I said may be to old for SOME films but I think as one HUGE bring-back and HUGE movie and comeback before he retires or decides anything else THIS would be the BEST come-back and redone movie in HISTORY if he came back to redo IT and play pennywise the clown one last time,it would be a HIT and prbably movie AND horror movie of the year it is released and MANY years to come just as the original has been for 25+ years!

12. Bob M   July 4, 2014 at 12:46 am

I would say that as long as it is made into a quality movie, it will do fine if it doesn’t do a couple of things: it shouldn’t make people ashamed to watch it and it shouldn’t stray from the real story.

I think the original was really good but that doesn’t mean they have to use the same actors, even Curry. He was awesome, no doubt and if he did the new one it would be cool as long as the upped the quality of makeup and effects and whatever, but people shouldn’t get hung up on it. Its a really long and thought out book and it ties into the most interesting parts of King’s universe. I look forward to this one but like I said, things can always go wrong if they turn people off to it by focusing on the really bad aspects of the story. Using background developments is usually better than focusing in on truly terrible things.

I also look forward to The Stand remake, at least as much.

13. Ashley1993   June 30, 2014 at 4:11 am

Curry was good, but they focused way too much on Pennywise, they didn’t show the manifestations enough and the casting overall wasn’t very good. Looking forward to the remake.

14. Brad   June 28, 2014 at 6:17 am

To truly make it as great as the original they should absolutely satisfy the fans needs and use Tim Curry again!! Im sure he would do it even more amazing! You never see original characters brought back and its a shame. Jack Nicholson could have done the joker again, Robert Englund could’ve doñe freddy, and Michael Keaton can still do beatljuice. Dont make the same mistake. Use Tim Curry, complete his legacy

15. Michael   June 26, 2014 at 9:54 pm

I wonder if people will angry at the film industry for allowing it.
    I wouldn’t though

16. arh4321@gmail.com   June 26, 2014 at 3:26 pm

will not be the same without tim curry as penny wise

17. Haileigh Martin   June 26, 2014 at 12:52 pm

I really don’t think this movie should be remade because it has a really good scarce source. If they remade it, then it HAS to be good. pt 2 better allow kids and adults like it did in the first one

18. Celestia Ludenberg   June 26, 2014 at 1:19 am

Regardless of this opinionated article, I hope that Fukunaga finds someone who can live up to Curry’s performance, if not Curry himself. This remake is a long time coming, so I hope that they stay true to the novel and understand the value of this franchise. I know that this film has the potential to be one of the scariest we have ever seen, and I implore the staff to take it seriously. If they believe that a mediocre performance will do, they are sorely mistaken. Please do not disappoint us, Mr. Fukunaga.

19. Doug   June 21, 2014 at 9:40 pm

I really hope Cary pulls it off. Nothing will ever compare to the book but maybe he’ll open it up a bit a bit more than the miniseries. More character development, The Barrens etc. Casting is almost life or death, especially Pennywise. May the cards be in the right place.

20. Lucy Kate   June 14, 2014 at 3:10 pm

Has the author of this article even read the book, or watch the movie? The story of It follows the characters as both kids and adults; the brief plot synopsis in this article is pretty much the basic gist of the story. Also, the movie scared the crap out of me as a kid, but after reading the book as an adult, and rewarding the movie, the movie doesn’t hold a candle to the book. Too much story to fit in to a TV miniseries. I’m curious about a remake, but tentatively so. The book is so much more than the story of a killer clown, it would be hard to translate it all to film.

21. Garrett Morrell   June 9, 2014 at 11:13 am

Just cast Javier bardem and were good!

22. Ryan   June 4, 2014 at 10:25 am

The person who wrote this article didn’t do his homework. What a drambus!

23. Josh   June 3, 2014 at 10:32 pm

The first movie followed the adults as well. It was a 2 part series and part 1 focused on the kids mostly and part 2 the adults.

24. max   June 3, 2014 at 12:54 am

I am so sick of everbode going on about how that crappy 1990 mini series was so good and how it should never be remade, if there is any king movie that deserves to be remade it is the one, the 1990 mini series was about as scary as an episode of scooby doo featuring a bunch of washed up actors, lousy script and editing and acting. also the series deviated so far from the book there was barely any resemblance to the book at all and so many good parts in the book didn’t make it into that miserable made for tv lame duck mini series, but what can you expect when “WITH MADE FOR TV”

25. Dave   June 1, 2014 at 8:07 pm

I am hoping that if he has recovered well enough from his stroke, that Tim Curry comes back as Pennywise.

26. ladynightshayde   May 26, 2014 at 5:43 pm

A remake could never live up to the original!

27. wesley rodgers   May 26, 2014 at 5:47 am

I worry about king sequels, i worry a lot.
    Salems lot, children of the corn..have they reached double digits yet?.
    But an IT sequel sounds good. atleast it will be a step up from the tv films special effects.
    Good luck to ’em.

• Melissa   June 2, 2014 at 3:50 pm

lol I dig the “I worry a lot” reference. 🙂

28. Rob   May 22, 2014 at 5:41 pm

“From the sounds of the plot, the new It movie could easily be a sequel as opposed to a remake, considering the first movie followed the kids and not the adults.”

The first movie followed the adults as well. Still, rumors of a remake have been bandied about for years. It would be nice for one to come to fruition.