Christianity and Liberalism Cannot Exist Together

christianity, liberalism

Can such a thing as a “liberal Christian” actually exist? Is it possible for Christianity and liberalism to co-exist?

Questions like this, when asked, may sound like they are meant in jest.  But actually, they are not meant to be funny at all. In reality, the question reflects a quiet serious inquiry. And furthermore, the answer has some serious implications for the millions around the world who call themselves Christians. Another way of asking the question is this: Is it a reality that one can be both a Christian and a liberal at the same time?

To answer this, one must first consider some basic theological tenets: Jesus came to this planet centuries ago with only one thing in mind. He wanted to provide an escape for humankind from being eternally condemned. God knew that the use of animal sacrifices, that at the time were being offered for the atonement for sin, was ultimately never going to really work in the end.  People were simply habitual sinners and had limited resources or patience for the endless sacrifices.  Something else had to be done.

So, Jesus came and died on the cross, and in doing so, created a permanent method through which any human being could be delivered from eternal condemnation.  This also made the road to salvation more direct, although not necessarily easier: One could simply be saved through faith in Christ alone. Without the cross, Christianity is without foundation and meaningless.

This is why truly dedicated Christians are known for quoting from the Word of God, the Bible, and trying to lead others to faith in Christ. Their salvation from hell is the primary motivation in everything they do.  Their desire to see others saved from the same eternal condemnation is priority to them above anything else in their lives.

A liberal Christian, however, is an entirely different thing. They choose to define themselves by their beliefs and involvement in liberal movements above anything else.  These liberal movements could be anything from abortion, to gay rights, to feminism, to racial advocacy, to affirmative action.  Maybe they choose to become advocates for large entitlements and exemptions from the government. Liberal Christianity can manifest itself in so many different ways.  However, one common aspect shared by all of these groups is that they are tied together by what they simply call the “love of Jesus.” This is a very nebulous term that is, in actuality, devoid of meaning.

Liberal Christians never talk about salvation. None of them talk at length about what Jesus did on the cross. Rather, they focus on something else. They seem to promote a type of lifestyle that is totally dependent on self. It is all about bettering one’s self, saving one’s self, relying on one’s own strength and action.

They will tell people that Jesus taught about accepting others, and for that reason, homosexuals must feel accepted and be allowed to celebrate their choice in lifestyle regardless of what the scripture says. They want to create a sort of utopia where everyone is fed and taken care of and nurtured.  In the mind of a liberal, the best way to accomplish that dream is through the government.

The liberal Christians who embrace this concept simply miss the whole aim of Christianity.  For them there is no accountability. There is no challenge for their ethos to line up with what the Bible outlines for mankind.  If one wants to do it and likes the way it feels, then go ahead.  There is a total embrace of everything in today’s society.  Liberal Christianity is not centered on Christ at all, but, instead, it is centered on the world.

What ends up being offered is a buffet style Christianity, allowing people to take the portions of the Bible that make them feel good while ignoring everything else.  When challenged on what they choose to believe, they tell the accuser that he is judgmental and misquote a verse in the Bible where Jesus told us to “judge not.”

In reality, the whole objective of that verse is not to inform the reader that it is wrong to judge, but, rather, to be painfully aware of the measuring stick that is being used.  It is, after all, very common for individuals to hold others to standards that are rather impossible.

For sure, there are many who profess Christianity who require perfection from those around themselves and ignore their own problems. There are others who will spend the majority of their time quibbling over the inconsistencies of others instead of following the commands of God in obedience.

In short, all of the warnings we find in the Bible do not mean that the act of judgment is always a negative action. The reality is that we will all be judged in the end by God’s standards as put forth in His Word.

The life of a Christian liberal is not centered on Christ nor is it based on the Bible. This is proven by their defending the right to murder an unborn child or for the homosexual lifestyle to be glorified. For this reason, a new way is needed to attract supporters.

The easiest avenue to take is often a very poorly disguised New Age form of spirituality. It gives all the right connotations of being loving and having a spiritual type theme.  They begin to use left-wing tactics to motivate their congregation and begin doing things that inflate a sense of self-worth and importance instead of the searching for and finding faith.

This New Age, feel-good type of faith, is not really faith at all. Rather, it takes the basic Christian structure of community and church and makes it into something more attractive to those who are secularists.  All through the history of the progressive movement are individuals who use their position inside their faith to garner support of causes that are extra-Biblical.

It is not enough for anyone to profess to be a Christian or even a Muslim.  To claim a faith is to actually hold to the core beliefs of that faith. Otherwise, God is being created in their image. He becomes a god who holds to what they want to be true.

In short, the answer to the original question is “no.”  Christianity and liberalism cannot coexist.  Once someone turns from faith in the scripture and from the laws of God, they have designed their own religion. This is America, and people are free to do that if they choose.  But please do not call it Christianity. Christianity is the coming to a relationship with God through a faith in Jesus Christ in response to the sacrifice He endured.  To call it anything else is quicksand.

Opinion by Rick Hope

Huffington Post

40 Responses to "Christianity and Liberalism Cannot Exist Together"

1. pastorjackwilson   October 30, 2014 at 10:31 pm

I think you all have missed the idea of what a Liberal is.One who believes in abortion, homosexuality, euthanasia, gun control, no religion in the schools but Muslim OK–These are totally depraved individuals. Yes, you would not call them conservatives but Liberalism is meant to help not to hurt. Unfortunately, it is those ascribed to above, of which we hear the loudest. Some liberals do not believe in any of the above but they are against big business making tons of money while their workers are cheated. They are against animal abuse. They are for a clean environment. These are good things unless the methods you use to fix the problems hurt the people. I believe we can find many things we agree on.I am a conservative. I gave up my life to go into the mission field. I help the poor and destitute. Some people think I am a liberal because I preach love thy neighbor and give him a helping hand.Jesus was a conservative liberal. He fed the poor and kicked the money changers out of the Temple. On the other hand he told off the pharisees and and laid down the law.Let’s fight against the things we hate, not people.

2. Ivan Popovich   September 15, 2014 at 9:48 am

Liberal “Christians” seem to think that God will change the rules based on their desires. They openly sin without repentance, and they “convert” others by telling them that they too can sin without repentance. They cannot rationalize away what the Bible.

I will never understand “Christians” who say that they have to support homosexuality, transgenderism, the redefinition of marriage, abortion, and so on. God opposes things that run contrary to His natural order, and you cannot redefine “natural” and expect God to abide by what you desire. You have to ignore the Bible to reach the conclusion that supporting and propagating unbridled hedonism is a Christian activity.

If you embrace and flaunt your sins and those of others, are you really saved?

3. Pearl Shongwe   August 27, 2014 at 1:08 pm

If you read and comprehend the Bible, you know the truth. Yes, there are various ways of worshiping God, but don’t be ignorant. FACT is, there is only ONE way to God and that is JESUS. Accept Him and you’ll know how to worship Him properly – wholeheartedly.

4. helen   August 4, 2014 at 7:57 pm

There is only one path to God. Jesus said it. Case closed

• Rev. Ray Dubuque   August 6, 2014 at 12:51 pm

There are at least 30,000 Christian denominations because they all claim the OTHERS have missed the boat. And YOU know the only RIGHT ONE, right??? See my posts under “Older Comments” below…

5. Geraldo   August 4, 2014 at 6:00 am

I love Jesus. He is my God.

6. shirl   July 31, 2014 at 7:07 am

Liberalism and religion ..do not mix. Religion seems to be pretty fixed. Jesus was once thought to be rouge in his day. John the Baptist a nut. I feel you do not judge those who worship differently from you. Everyone has their own path to God.

7. Rayosun   July 31, 2014 at 5:52 am

I had nothing to do with the link at the end of the post above, which just leads back toTHIS page. The link that I put in my post BELOW, or cllcking on my name, DOES WORK.

8. Rayosun   July 30, 2014 at 9:26 pm

If conservative “Christians” were about Jesus Christ, why do they always seem to quote just about everybody BUT Jesus, most often Paul of Tarsus. Rick Hope is too busy pontificating and promoting “the Word of Mr. Hope” to quote even Paul, let alone Jesus. Don’t pay any attention to what people like ME have to say about the liberalism of Jesus. Read what HE himself said, in the 16 posts below :

• Rayosun   July 31, 2014 at 5:38 am

(This post is a correction of what I posted at 2:00 A.M. last night:)

If conservative “Christians” are about Jesus Christ, why do they always seem to quote just about everybody BUT Jesus, most often Paul of Tarsus?
      Rick Hope is a great example, so busy pontificating and promoting “the Word of Mr. Hope” that he can’t even quote Paul, let alone Jesus!
      Conservatives can try to ignore what liberal clergy like ME have to say about the liberalism of Jesus. But what’s their excuse for ignoring what Jesus HIMSELF said, in the 16 posts below :
      There’s even MORE at LiberalslikeChrist.org at http://guardianlv.com/2014/07/christianity-and-liberalism-cannot-exist-together/#Afpp1QGhmmxRC41C.99 .

• Neil D   October 25, 2016 at 10:42 pm

“If conservative ‘Christians’ are about Jesus Christ, why do they always seem to quote just about everybody BUT Jesus, most often Paul of Tarsus?”

Okay, then. Here are some things Jesus said unlike what you believe:

“I tell you, use worldly wealth to gain friends for yourselves, so that when it is gone, you will be welcomed into eternal dwellings,” (Luke 16:9 NIV).

“Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword,” (Matthew 10:34 NIV).

“From that time on Jesus began to preach, ‘Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near,'” (Matthew 4:17 NIV).

“You should not be surprised at my saying, ‘You must be born again,'” (John 3:7 NIV).

Conservatives tend to be more charitable than liberals on average, BTW. It says in 2 Corinthians that God loves a cheerful giver. Socialism would hinder the ability to give freely and out of your heart instead of compulsion.

Additionally, the reason why Jesus “hung out with” sinners is that He wanted to change their evil ways and put their faith in Him:

“Jesus answered them, ‘It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick,'” (Luke 5:31 NIV).

“‘Haven’t you read,’ he replied, ‘that at the beginning the Creator “made them male and female,” and said, “For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh”? So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate,’” (Matthew 19:4-6 NIV).

So Jesus certainly did not support gay marriage.

“Jesus answered, ‘I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me,'” (John 14:6 NIV).

So much for the relativism that liberalism is inseparable from.

And if the Pentateuch is too conservative for you, just remember that when He was tempted, Jesus quoted from Deuteronomy every time.

Liberalism came from the pagan Enlightenment, not Christianity. You strain a gnat and swallow a camel, as Jesus would say to you.

You dare call yourself a good clergyman, fool? Shame on you for believing the lies of the liberal apostates. You say you are clergy, yet clearly you know nothing about the Scriptures, nor do you know God.

If that is the case with you, then this describes you quite accurately:

“For certain individuals whose condemnation was written about long ago have secretly slipped in among you. They are ungodly people, who pervert the grace of our God into a license for immorality and deny Jesus Christ our only Sovereign and Lord,” (Jude 1:4 NIV).

“But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let them be under God’s curse!” (Galatians 1:8 NIV).

9. Rayosun   July 30, 2014 at 9:17 pm

Ever since 1996, I have been urging people to check out my http://LiberalsLikeJesus.Org where I provide overwhelming evidence, for the most part in the form of Jesus’ own words, that Jesus was far more liberal than conservative.
    But since so many people seem to be unable or unwilling to click on a link to that site, I’ve decided to lay out the evidence right HERE, where it can’t be missed,

Contrary to what Rick Hope claims, i.e. “Jesus came to this planet centuries ago with only one thing in mind, etc. etc., THIS is what Jesus himself said was on his mind:

1) According to Luke 4:18 Jesus described his mission in life : ]
    “The Spirit of the Lord is upon me;
    he has appointed me
    to preach Good News to the poor;
    he has sent me to heal the brokenhearted
    and to announce that the blind shall see,
    that captives shall be released
    and the downtrodden shall be freed
    (i.e. liberated) from their oppressors.”
    If that sounds like THE LIBERAL AGENDA, that’s because Jesus was one of the greatest liberal leaders of all time ! as any true follower of his should know!

• david2460   August 9, 2014 at 3:28 pm

I could not agree more and dare I say the Christ was an activist also, for example Matt. 5:34 – end?

10. Rayosun   July 30, 2014 at 9:11 pm

2) { According to Matthew 11: 2-5, Jesus described himself in similar words to his own cousin, John “the Baptist” :]
    ” When John heard in prison what the Messiah was doing, he sent word by his disciples and said to him, “Are you the one who is to come, or are we to wait for another?”
    Jesus answered them, “Go and tell John what you hear and see: the blind receive their sight, the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the poor have good news brought to them.”

In response to the question, “Sir, which is the most important command in the laws of Moses?”
    3) { According to Matthew 22:36-40 Jesus replied (Jesus explicitly identified his and the Bible’s highest priorities) : :]
    “This is the first and greatest commandment: ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, and mind.’
    The second most important is similar: ‘Love your neighbor as much as you love yourself.’
    All the other commandments and all the demands of the prophets stem from these two laws and are fulfilled if you obey them. Keep only these and you will find that you are obeying all the others.”

11. Rayosun   July 30, 2014 at 9:10 pm

4) [ According to Matthew 25: 31-46 ]
    “When I, the Messiah, shall come in glory, and all the angels with me, then I shall sit upon my throne of glory. And all the nations shall be gathered before me. And I will separate the people as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats, and place the sheep at my right hand, and the goats at my left.
    Then I, the King, shall say to those at my right, “Come, blessed of my Father, into the Kingdom prepared for you from the founding of the world. For I was hungry and you fed me; I was thirsty and you gave me water; I was a stranger and you invited me into your homes; naked and you clothed me; sick and in prison, and you visited me.”
    Then these righteous ones will reply, “Sir, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you anything to drink? Or a stranger, and help you? Or naked, and clothe you? When did we ever see you sick or in prison, and visit you?” And I, the King, will tell them, “When you did it to these my brothers you were doing it to me!”
    Then I will turn to those on my left and say, “Away with you, you cursed ones, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his demons. For I was hungry and you wouldn’t feed me; thirsty, and you wouldn’t give me anything to drink; a stranger, and you refused me hospitality; naked, and you wouldn’t clothe me; sick, and in prison, and you didn’t visit me.”
    Then they will reply, “Lord, when did we ever see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and not help you?”
    And I will answer, “When you refused to help the least of these my brothers, you were refusing help to me.” And they shall go away into eternal punishment; but the righteous into everlasting life.”

12. Rayosun   July 30, 2014 at 9:10 pm

5) [ According to Matthew 5: 2-12, Jesus proclaimed :]
    “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
    Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
    Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.
    Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.
    Blessed are the merciful, for they will receive mercy.
    Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.
    Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
    Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
    Blessed are you when people revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who went before you.”

13. Rayosun   July 30, 2014 at 9:09 pm

6) [ According to Luke 16 : 19-31]
    “One day Lazarus, a diseased beggar, was laid at the door of a rich man’s house. As he lay there longing for scraps from the rich man’s table, the dogs would come and lick his open sores. Finally the beggar died and was carried by the angels to be with Abraham in the place of the righteous dead.
    The rich man also died and was buried, and his soul went into hell. There, in torment, he saw Lazarus in the far distance with Abraham. ‘Father Abraham,’ he shouted, ‘have some pity! Send Lazarus over here if only to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, for I am in anguish in these flames.’ But Abraham said to him, ‘Son, remember that during your life-time you had everything you wanted, and Lazarus had nothing. So now he is here being comforted and you are in anguish.”
    “And besides, there is a great chasm separating us, and anyone wanting to come to you from here is stopped at its edge; and no one over there can cross to us.’
    Then the rich man said, ‘O Father Abraham, then please send him to my father’s home – for I have five brothers – to warn them about this place of torment lest they come here when they die.’ But Abraham said, ‘The Scriptures have warned them again and again. Your brothers can read them any time they want to.’ The rich man replied, ‘No, Father Abraham, they won’t bother to read them. But if someone is sent to them from the dead, then they will turn from their sins.’ But Abraham said, ‘If they won’t listen to Moses and the prophets, they won’t listen even though someone rises from the dead.’

14. Rayosun   July 30, 2014 at 9:08 pm

8) [ According to Luke 3:11-14 ]
    In reply he said to them, “Whoever has two coats must share with anyone who has none; and whoever has food must do likewise.”
    Even tax collectors came to be baptized, and they asked him, “Teacher, what should we do?” He said to them, “Collect no more than the amount prescribed for you.”
    Soldiers also asked him, “And we, what should we do?” He said to them, “Do not extort money from anyone by threats or false accusation, and be satisfied with your wages.”

15. Rayosun   July 30, 2014 at 9:08 pm

9) [ According to Matthew 19:16, 21-26 ]
    Someone came to Jesus with this question: “Good Master, what must I do to have eternal life?
    “If you want to be perfect, go and sell everything you have and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.” But when the young man heard this, he went away sadly, for he was very rich.”
    . . . Then Jesus said to his disciples, “It is almost impossible for a rich man to get into the Kingdom of Heaven. I say it again – it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of God! When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astounded and said, “Then who can be saved?” And Jesus replied, “For mortals it is impossible, but for God all things are possible.”

16. Rayosun   July 30, 2014 at 9:07 pm

10) [ According to Luke 16:13-15]

” No slave can serve two masters; for a slave will either hate the one and love the other, or be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth.” The Pharisees, who were lovers of money, heard all this, and they ridiculed him. So he said to them, “You are those who justify yourselves in the sight of others; but God knows your hearts; for what is prized by human beings is an abomination in the sight of God.”

11) [ According to Luke 14:33-35]
    “So therefore, none of you can become my disciple if you do not give up all your possessions. Salt is good; but if salt has lost its taste, how can its saltiness be restored? It is fit neither for the soil nor for the manure pile; they throw it away. Let anyone with ears to hear listen!”

17. rayosun   July 30, 2014 at 9:06 pm

12) [ According to Luke 12:15-21]

And he said to them, “Take care! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; for one’s life does not consist in the abundance of possessions.” Then he told them a parable: “The land of a rich man produced abundantly. And he thought to himself, ‘What should I do, for I have no place to store my crops?’ Then he said, ‘I will do this: I will pull down my barns and build larger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods. And I will say to my soul, ‘Soul, you have ample goods laid up for many years; relax, eat, drink, be merry.’
    But God said to him, ‘You fool! This very night your life is being demanded of you. And the things you have prepared, whose will they be?’ So it is with those who store up treasures for themselves but are not rich toward God.” “Yes, every man is a fool who gets rich on earth but not in heaven. Sell what you have and give to those in need. This will fatten your purses in heaven! And the purses of heaven have no rips or holes in them. Your treasures there will never disappear; no thief can steal them; no moth can destroy them. Wherever your treasure is, there your heart and thoughts will also be.”

18. rayosun   July 30, 2014 at 9:05 pm

13) [ According to John 16:1-3]
    “I have said these things to you to keep you from stumbling. They will put you out of the synagogues. Indeed, an hour is coming when those who kill you will think that by doing so they are offering worship to God. And they will do this because they have not known the Father or me.”

19. rayosun   July 30, 2014 at 9:05 pm

14) [ According to John 8: 2–11 ]
    “Early in the morning he came again to the temple. All the people came to him and he sat down and began to teach them. The scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in adultery; and making her stand before all of them, they said to him, “Teacher, this woman was caught in the very act of committing adultery. Now in the law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?”
    They said this to test him, so that they might have some charge to bring against him.
    Jesus bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground. When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, “Let anyone among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.” And once again he bent down and wrote on the ground. When they heard it, they went away, one by one, beginning with the elders; and Jesus was left alone with the woman standing before him. Jesus straightened up and said to her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?” She said, “No one, sir.” And Jesus said, “Neither do I condemn you. Go your way, and from now on do not sin again.”

20. rayosun   July 30, 2014 at 9:04 pm

15) [ According to Luke 18 : 9-14 ]
    He also told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were were righteous and regarded others with contempt:
    “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee, standing by himself, was praying thus, ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people: thieves, rogues, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give a tenth of all my income.’
    But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even look up to heaven, but was beating his breast and saying, ‘God, be merciful to me, a sinner!’
    I tell you, this man went down to his home justified rather than the other; for all who exalt themselves will be humbled, but all who humble themselves will be exalted.”

21. rayosun   July 30, 2014 at 9:04 pm

16) [ According to Luke 6: 37–8]
    “Do not judge, and you will not be judged; do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven; give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap; for the measure you give will be the measure you get back.”

22. rayosun   July 30, 2014 at 9:03 pm

18) [ According to Matthew 21: 28-32 Jesus made a similar point in this parable : ]
    “What do you think? A man had two sons; he went to the first and said, ‘Son, go and work in the vineyard today.’ He answered, ‘I will not’; but later he changed his mind and went. The father went to the second and said the same; and he answered, ‘I go, sir’; but he did not go. which of the two did the will of his father?” They said, “The first.” Jesus said to them, “Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of god ahead of you.

23. rayosun   July 30, 2014 at 9:02 pm

19) [ As for what the bible thinks about liberalism, according to Isaiah 32: 1, & 5-8 KJV : ]
    “Behold, a king shall reign in righteousness, and princes shall rule in judgment. . . . The vile person shall be no more called liberal, nor the churl said to be bountiful. For the vile person will speak villainy, and his heart will work iniquity, to practise hypocrisy, and to utter error against the LORD, to make empty the soul of the hungry, and he will cause the drink of the thirsty to fail. The instruments also of the churl are evil: he deviseth wicked devices to destroy the poor with lying words, even when the needy speaketh right. But the liberal deviseth liberal things; and by liberal things shall he stand.”

24. mkchristMichael   July 30, 2014 at 11:27 am

If I consistently support morals based on culture, not based on the morals of God i.e.what the Bible says, then how can I say I am a child of God? Being holy, separated for God, means being different from any worldly practices which differ from God’s commandments. If my beliefs are no different from the “pagans”, then I must dig deep and question my relationship with God through Jesus.
    If I love God with all my heart, soul, mind and strength, I will abhor any anti-God practices, regardless of popularity in the culture. I can judge what is right or wrong, but speak the truth in love when challenged.

25. Richard Ingersoll   July 29, 2014 at 3:53 pm

The Way is straight and narrow….true followers of Christ will be putty in the hands of the potter…we conform to His ways ….God does not bend to our proclivities…be Holy as He is Holy. Mr. Hope knows where and who his hope is.

26. daves   July 29, 2014 at 2:57 pm

Shame on you Mr. Hope, you will know the truth some day.

27. Simon   July 29, 2014 at 6:07 am

I’m a liberal and a christian! I understand the author’s need to protect his political stance, but it’s so hurtful. I’m a thoroughly bible-read Christian, and I’m voting with my conscience; the “love” mocked in this article was the same love Christ had, Mr. Hope. He visited prostitue’s and told people to stop praying loudly outside and to do it in privacy to avoid being hypocrites. We can’t use religion to keep a status quo–Christ was clear about that. He wasn’t worries about the silly tithings of this world that get conservatives angry (getting the right to carry a gun, keeping food stamps away from children, what gender a person has, opposing immigrant children, etc.) if anything, one might argue that, according to your definition, Christ couldn’t be a christian, since he’d be advocating for social programs a lot faster than advocating for corporate tax beans and defunding child are.

28. Will   July 28, 2014 at 6:20 pm

Come on now–isn’t writing an article defining your religion by political views the definition of what you’re accusing liberals of, namely of “defin[ing] themselves by their beliefs and involvement in liberal movements above anything else” what this article is doing (in terms of your conservativism)? Jesus said that two commandments were most important–loving Him and others—I do this best by being liberal.

29. W. Michael Biklen   July 27, 2014 at 6:00 pm

Indeed. Mr. Hope totally mischaracterizes “Liberal”. I take, literally, what Jesus says. It is completely because of Jesus and his behavior that I am a pacifist, feminist, affirmative action, justice for all, regardless of race or sexual orientation, and just about anything that Mr. Hope uses to characterize me as having my beliefs derived from secular thinking rather than from Jesus, himself.

30. God & Family (@Jn3_16_21)   July 27, 2014 at 10:26 am

I found nothing wrong biblically with anything the author wrote. Scripture is not a salad bar, we can not pick and choose what we like and forget about the rest, for if we do we indeed do create our own worldly religion. Now that said, this can also be applied to any political ideology, not just Liberalism. When we start to view scripture through a lens of political ideology or propaganda we fail to see God’s true Word. God’s Word trumps mans in any and all situations.

31. Rick Hope   July 27, 2014 at 7:15 am

K.Allen Sipe, I believe I was misunderstood. I must not have made myself as clear as I wanted. I do not mean that Christians do things to escape hell. We escape hell when we enter into a relationship with Jesus Christ. I didn’t mean that we do things out of love and gratitude for what Jesus did for us on the cross that enabled us to skate help. I hope I make better sense. Thank you for calling on me to clarify.

32. S. Allen Sipe   July 27, 2014 at 6:57 am

I am a Christian and would be labeled a conservative by most definitions of that term. I certainly agree with some of the author’s conclusions. However, he paints a picture with far too broad a brush and in doing so muddies the water instead of bringing clarity. As with most opinion pieces, one must learn to read with discernment in order to draw out what is worthy and dispose of that which is not. As a theologian, I would take issue with the author’s statement that a Christian’s “primary” motivation for everything he does is salvation from eternal damnation. That is simply not biblically accurate. While it is certainly true that a driving motivation to respond to the gospel and the cross is the release from bondage to sin and eternal judgment, according to the overall message of redemption a believer’s primary motivation once repentance and profession has occurred is to live a life of thankful service to the Master and honor Christ’s mandate to share that gospel story to all possible. To state that a Christian’s primary motivation is driven by escape from hell is to impose a paradigm of fear onto a life that should be set free from fear of judgment. The author would do well to re-think his themes and re-state them with more of a scriptural dynamic.

33. Mike Winslow   July 26, 2014 at 8:03 am

Your thoughts appear to demonstrate the continued relevance of stories of the pharisees and how their feelings of self righteousness kept them from understanding Christ’s teachings . While no law or word of God is diminished, and any sin is sufficient for the condemnation of a person without christ, he made it clear which two laws remained the most important. Please be careful with your reluctance to forgive, and in your judgement of others that you forget to seek the will of God in all things. Keep those things which aree good and righteous foremost in your thoughts, but also use care that you do not cause another to stumble with your quite limited and narrow understanding of God’s will and plan for each man. God is awesome beyond our understanding – try to not limit or interfere with his work, lest you find yourself a pharisee in God’s eye. Practice love first of God, and also to love and forgive your brethren – just as you may also wish to be forgiven.

34. Paul Turnbull (@chigaze)   July 26, 2014 at 7:05 am

The proper title of this piece should be “Christian Fundamentalism and Any Other Belief System Cannot Exist Together,” as the Christianity described is one that demands obedience.

As for Rick Hope’s Christianity and Liberalism, of course they can’t coexist. One is illiberal in it’s contention that right and wrong are dictated from one source that must be obeyed no matter what the results. It denies humans the liberty to discover fundamental ethics and morality to guide us. Perhaps the headline should have been “Christianity and Liberty Cannot Exist Together” because ultimately any belief system that demands obedience to a single authority is certainly not about liberty.

35. philspin   July 26, 2014 at 6:15 am

In liberal Christian teaching, which is not Christian at all, man’s reason is stressed and is treated as the final authority.

Liberal theologians seek to reconcile Christianity with secular science and modern thinking. In doing so, they treat science as all-knowing and the Bible as fable-laden and false.

Genesis’ early chapters are reduced to poetry or fantasy, having a message, but not to be taken literally (in spite of Jesus’ having spoken of those early chapters in literal terms). Mankind is not seen as totally depraved, and thus liberal theologians have an optimistic view of the future of mankind.

The social gospel is also emphasized, while the inability of fallen man to fulfill it is denied. Whether a person is saved from his sin and its penalty in hell is no longer the issue; the main thing is how man treats his fellow man. “Love” of our fellow man becomes the defining issue.

So Liberalism and Christianity are competing belief systems and can’t co-exist.

Regards
    Phil

36. Richard Ashby   July 26, 2014 at 1:15 am

Quite frankly if this is the intellectual and theological level of conservative thought then liberals have nothing to worry about. So much of this is just wrong, both biblically and theologically that it is difficult to know where to start. The author belongs to the ‘if you don’t agree with me you aren’t a Christian’ school of belief. It’s just not worth further comment.