This banana bread is a huge hit in my house. The secret is the cinnamon sugar crust and the small amount of sour cream for that moist interior. Sour cream may seem like an odd ingredient to add, but it puts this banana bread over the top. Whether you eat it plain or warm with a little butter, this banana bread is a delicious comfort-food treat. These loaves are great for gift giving if you can keep your household off of them long enough to wrap!
Makes: 2 loaves in 9″ x 4″ pans. Different sized pans will need different baking times.
1/4 cup white sugar mixed with 1 tsp cinnamon to coat pan
1 tbs butter to grease pans
2 tbs honey
2 and 3/4 cups white sugar
3/4 cups butter
9 mashed bananas
1 cup sour cream
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
3 tsp baking soda
4 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Coat two loaf pans with butter and cinnamon sugar and set aside.
2. Mash bananas and mix with cinnamon, vanilla extract, eggs, and sour cream.
3. Cream together sugar, butter and honey in a large bowl.
4. Add the banana mixture to the sugar mixture and combine well.
5. Mix salt, baking soda and flour. Slowly add to the banana mixture until all the flour is integrated.
6. Pour half of the mix into each pan and place in the oven.
7. All ovens vary, so start with a 60 minute timer. After that, check the bread at least every twenty minutes, rotating the pans as necessary to cause even browning. It’s done when a tooth pick can slide cleanly in and out of the bread.
8. Use a knife to loosen the bread from the sides of the pan, and allow the loaves to cool on a cooling rack. Slice and serve.