Alec Baldwin has deleted his Twitter account (again) and has said that he will tweet no more! This was after he’d gone on the attack against a Daily Mail reporter in an expletive fuelled tirade and has said that this time, he’ll not go back to the social network this time.
Vanity Fair asked the 30 Rock star if he’d ever tweet again and the 55 year-old actor said, “Never.”
Baldwin explained his reasons. He said, “I went to Jimmy Gandolfini’s funeral, and when I was there I realized Jimmy Gandolfini didn’t have Twitter. Jimmy Gandolfini was so beloved as a person, and he was so admired as an actor, and he didn’t give a **** about social media.”
He continued, “I really learned a lesson at the funeral. I said to myself,” ‘This is all a waste of time.’ “Meaning it’s fun sometimes, but less and less, and less. It’s just another chink in your armor for people to come and kill you. I stopped and said to myself, I’m going to try where I just don’t do this anymore.”
Baldwin’s Twitter tirade came about after the English paper The Daily Mail published an article where a reporter accused Baldwin’s pregnant wife Hilaria of using her Twitter and tweeting upbeat messages during the late James Gandolfini’s funeral last week in New York.
Daily Mail reporter George Stark wrote in his article that, “The pregnant yoga instructor’s social media feed was full of upbeat posts while the ‘Sopranos’ star’s friends, family and co-stars were gripped with grief at a New York Catholic church. Messages included a request for ideas about wedding anniversary presents and promotional notes about her upcoming appearance on the ‘Rachael Ray’ show,”
Alec Baldwin’s temper shot into the stratosphere and he responded by calling Stark a “lying little bitch” and “toxic little queen.” He did apologise later for his language used in the tweets and he told GLAAD that the “ill-advised attack” on Stark “had nothing to do with issues of anyone’s sexual orientation.”
But Baldwin will tweet no more, whether it’s an angry one or not. Even though he’s obviously still upset at the English reporter.
George Stark’s Daily Mail story has since been taken down. Some have speculated that there may have been confusion over time zones, with Hilaria sending tweets on Eastern Time and Stark viewing them in Pacific Time.
Besides quitting Twitter, Baldwin says that he’s thinking of quitting the limelight for a while.
In an interview with Vanity Fair he said, “I’m having a baby. And everyone has seen how certain things have played out with my daughter [Ireland], which as been very painful — it’s been really unpleasant. That has consequences, and I do not want that to happen with my next child. I have one dream in my life and that is that this daughter I’m having — she comes to me about 7 or 8 years from now, she has a friend, and she’s at her house and she says, ‘Daddy, Susie’s mom says you used to be on TV. Daddy, is that true?’ She has no knowledge of me as a public person. That would be heaven for me.”
Vanity Fair then asked him if that meant he wanted to quit acting, he said, “I’d love to if I could, yeah. That would be the greatest thing in the world.”
So for now, at least, Alec Baldwin will tweet no more, to anyone. As for the acting break? Well he will be back on the big screen in the Woody Allen film “Blue Jasmine,” arriving in theaters July 26.
By Michael Smith