Singapore Cop Slays Two in Kovan (Video)


Singapore cop,  Senior Staff Sergeant Iskandar bin Rahmat, 34, a 14-year-veteran of the Bedok police force, was arrested at 11:30 Friday night at a restaurant in Danga Bay in Malaysia for the double slaying of a father and his 14-year-old son in Kovan.

The Singapore Police Force said that he is currently being held by the Royal Malaysian Police and plans are being made to extradite him.

Rahmat is accused of murdering Mr Tan Boon Sin, 67, who was found dead at his home in Hillside Drive on Wednesday, and his eldest son, Mr Tan Chee Heong, 42, who was found dead about a kilometer away outside Kovan MRT station, after being dragged by a car.

Both men suffered slash wounds to their necks. The getaway car was found abandoned in Eunos a day later.

There was a massive manhunt conducted for the murderer of the father and son. The suspect crossed over to Johor Bahru on a green Vespa scooter sometime on Friday.

The police were not certain about the relationship, if any,  that might have existed between the suspect and his victims, but they noted that Mr Tan had made a report to the Bedok police station, where the suspect was the duty officer, about a case of theft in November 2012.

The police added that the suspect was in debt due to personal domestic matters, though they didn’t say if that could have been related to the murders.

Iskandar bin Rahmat’s neighbors at his Kim Keat Avenue flat described him as being a very private man, who lived there in a  three-room unit with his aged parents and a woman whose relationship with the suspect is unclear.

Two neighbors, who did not want to be named, said Iskandar’s family always had “their doors and windows closed” and not much is known about them.

The neighbors added that the family moved in at the end of last year. A female neighbor several doors down said she had seen Iskandar a few times. He was always wearing black tops and did not smile at her.

After he was brought into the custody of Singapore police on Saturday, Iskandar was brought back to the alleged crime scene at 14J Hillside Drive.

A resident, Mr Sam Toh, 53, told Yahoo! Singapore, “I saw the suspect arriving with four police officers in a car. They went in to 14J for about 10 minutes.

“The suspect was wearing a black T-shirt and looked quite muscular.”

The businessman added that the suspect had both his hands and feet cuffed.

Toh is relieved that an arrest has been made – his 10-year-old daughter hasn’t been able to sleep on her own since the murders happened.

Announcing the arrest at a press conferemce, Police Commissioner Ng Joo Hee Ng said:

Today is a sad day for the police. Today, we have arrested a murder suspect who is also a policeman.”

Continuing, Ng added:

Even as we investigate the murders, the police also look to find out what has led an individual who has sworn to uphold the law to now stand accused of breaking it in the most grievous way.”

Also at the press conference, Deputy Prime Minister Teo said:

No one is above the law. Anyone who breaks the law, in particular officers placed in positions of trust or authority will have to face the full weight of the law. We have zero tolerance for officers who break the law.”

According to the police, Iskandar was a former Investigation Officer who was removed from his position as he was facing disciplinary proceedings. Prior to the Kovan murders, he was deployed to perform administrative duties, and was barred from carrying arms.

Below is a video of a news report about the Singapore cop who slayed two in Kovan.

Written by: Douglas Cobb

Source 1

Source 2