Electric Daisy Carnival Incident Reports

Electric Daisy Carnival
The Electric Daisy Carnival in Las Vegas, also known as EDC, is one of the biggest events of the year for ravers. This year the festival was held at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway. EDC started in 1997 as a one day event for electronic music fans. The sold out events expanded to two days in 2009, and then to three days in the later years due to its popularity. EDC Las Vegas has become the largest festival of all, with approximately 400,000 people in attendance in 2014. Throughout the years, the Electric Daisy festival organizers have taken as much precaution as they can to prevent incidents, but reports have shown that with so many party-goers and fans, accidents are sometimes inevitable.

The first incident connected with EDC was in 2010, when a 15-year-old girl who attended the festival at the Coliseum in Los Angeles died of drug overdose. After the incident, the family of the teenager sued Insomniac- organizers of the event, the manager of the Coliseum and the stadium itself. They reached a settlement of $190,000 for the girl’s death. After this incident, Insomniac was no longer welcome to host EDC at the Los Angeles Memorial Stadium.

After the major incident reported, Insomniac continued to host the Electric Daisy Carnival at different locations throughout the U.S in the coming years. They stated that they have no tolerance for drug use, and the event changed its age limit from 16 years-old to strictly for those 18 and over. Unfortunately, with its popularity, and the amounts of individuals attending the festival, EDC was once again in the eyes of the news. In June 2011, another death was reported, this time in Texas. The 19-year-old Andrew Graf of Argyle died at the Dallas Fair Park where the Electric Daily Carnival was being hosted. According to the local CBS station, in addition, 30 people were also taken to the hospital for heat exhaustion and drug and alcohol related emergencies. The festival ended that night at 1:30 a.m., after someone pulled the fire alarm.

The worst case after the 2011 incident happened the following year in Las Vegas. This time two deaths were reported, and even though they did not happened at the actual festival, both of the individuals were at EDC before the incident happened. The first incident was a 31-year-old man who was hit by a truck on Monday after he was seen leaving the carnival and died at the hospital from the injuries suffered. The second incident was a 22-year-old med-student who fell from the 27th room floor and landed on the roof of the third floor.

In 2013, Insomniac caught a break from the death toll that seemed to follow the Electric Daisy Carnival in its previous years. According to Be The Rave report from Metro Police, there were still over 600 medical calls but less people were admitted to the hospital compared to 2012. Misdemeanor and felony arrests also went down this year, but criminal incidents went up from zero to 16.

In 2014 the Electric Daisy Carnival expected more than 140,000 fans each night, and even though Insomniac provided safety and medical facilities for all the party-goers, once again, another reported incident claimed the live of one of the participants. According to CBS Las Vegas, 24-year-old Montgomery Tsang died on Saturday after leaving EDC. Organizers of the event released a statement giving their condolences to the family of the deceased, and stated that one death was too many. Insomniac encourages guests of the show to use the buddy system, to alert medical staff if they see something wrong and to take care of one another. This was the fourth year that Vegas hosted the festival.

By Marcia Villavicencio

Find the Best
Review Journal
Huffington Post
Be The Rave

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.