Young Children Find Parent’s Dead Bodies in Tragic Murder-Suicide

Don't like to read?

Young children find their dead parents in tragic murder-suicideA husband and wife were found dead in their home by their three young children in apparent murder-suicide. Both Kyla Ryng and her husband Alexander Ryng had gunshot wounds to the head. The medical examiner has determined that Kyla was murdered and her husband’s death ruled a suicide. The couple’s three children were home at the time the murder-suicide occurred but were not injured.

The couple had been married for close to six years and had young children ages four, three and 20 months. Kyla filed for divorce just five days before their bodies were found. In the divorce papers the 27-year-old mother said their marriage had broken down irretrievably. Kyla request alimony and child support from her 26-year-old husband. She also wanted their debts and property to be split along with joint custody but requested the children primarily live with her.

Kyla was a stay at home mother; and according to Col. John T. Wiltse Alexander was a first lieutenant and platoon Children Find Dead Bodies of Parents in Murder-Suicide leader for an engineering unit in New London. Wiltse, the director of public affairs for the Connecticut Army National Guard, called the deaths a terrible tragedy. Alexander had been temporarily working at the Stones Ranch Military Reservation in Easy Lyme. Wiltse released the following written statement:

We extend our sincere sympathy and condolences to the families and friends of Alex and Kyla Ryng. This is a tragedy that affects many communities, including our Guard. We mourn their loss. The Ryng family will remain in our thoughts and prayers.

A neighbor of the couple, Kyla’s mother, called police about 7:15 on Wednesday morning after two of the three children ran to her home for help. Police arrived within minutes to the Ryng’s home located at 73 Henderson Street in Bristol.

A student at Bristol Eastern High School, 16-year-old Devon Judge, was waiting with other students at the bus stop at Lexington and Henderson when he heard a lady screaming, three loud bangs, a loud thump and then silence. Nancy Gagne, a neighbor, said she saw a police officer and medics outside of the house. Later she saw the ambulance leave empty and a priest enter the house. Gagne said she is sick about the kids seeing their parents like that.

Communications and public policy specialist with the Connecticut Coalition Against Domestic Violence, Liza Andrews, said this is the first murder-suicide and the eighth homicide from domestic violence or intimate partner violence, in the state this year. Karen Jarmoc, executive director of the Coalition said there have been three attempted murders and two murders which stemmed from this type of violence since the end of April. Jarmoc released a statement of sympathy and warning:

We are saddened by yet another tragic loss stemming from domestic violence. We know that one of the most dangerous times for victims of domestic violence is when they are attempting to leave. We urge anyone who thinks there is even the slightest amount of abuse or controlling behavior in their relationship to reach out to us. We can help you plan for your safety.

Three young children found their parents dead in a murder-suicide on Wednesday morning. Although Kyla and Alexander both suffered gunshot wounds to the head, the medical examiner determined that Kyla was murdered while Alexander’s death was ruled a suicide.

By: Cherese Jackson (Virginia)


Civil Inquiry
NY Daily News