Paula Deen Punished for Honesty by Dishonest Bigots

celebrity cook Paula Deen

Political Correctness (PC) has claimed another victim, it seems. The case of the Food Network celebrity whose career lies in tatters, following a fatal bout of telling the truth, once again highlights both the hypocrisy of the PC Police and the threat they pose to the First Amendment. In truth, Paula Deen has been punished for honesty, by dishonest bigots.

The concept of Political Correctness is a purely political one, as the term suggests; the Left uses it to censor free speech; the Right would see it done away with. There is no place in a free society for such fabricated notions as “hate-speech”; especially when those who are obsessed with throwing around accusations of racism are, themselves, guilty – on an almost daily basis – of using the most vile and disgusting language, towards those with whom they disagree. As for the N-word , which – to be historically accurate – was never originally a derogatory term; any prominent, black Conservative would be able to produce dozens of examples of it being directed at them by so-called ‘Liberals’ – the very people who use Political Correctness to silence their opponents. As Deneen Borelli, a prominent member of the Project 21 black leadership network, put it, when asked to comment on allegations by black lawmakers that they have been the victim of racial slurs: “Welcome to my world. I’ve been called worse than the N-word by alleged enlightened liberals for the outrage of expressing my views on topics such as the threat of government overreach on things such as Obamacare, climate change legislation, the Second Amendment and pro-growth economics.”

When black Conservative singer-songwriter Lloyd Marcus composed the American Tea Party Anthem, A selection of comments posted by Liberals on his You Tube page include : “Maybe this nigger should shut up and learn his place”; “Uncle Tom P.O.Shit!”; “Dance monkey dance”; “this dude a coon”. A brief glance at other postings by the people who made these comments confirms that they are, indeed, left-wingers who despise Conservatives and the Tea Party. Countless other examples exist of Liberal racism; alongside numerous obscene personal insults, not necessarily racial, that are regularly hurled by the Left.

Black Americans, in particular, have absolutely no right to complain about the use of the N-word; it is in common use within the black community. One cannot demonize – or criminalize – the use of a word by one ethnic group, whilst allowing another to use the same word; that, in itself, is racism.

Paula Deen has been punished for her honesty and those who have punished her are dishonest bigots, because they frequently turn a blind eye to the numerous occasions on which those on their own side of the political fence use the n-word, or similar racial slurs. Deen admitted to using the word during questioning, under oath,  by an attorney. The May 17th deposition was related to a discrimination lawsuit brought by Lisa Jackson, a former employee of a restaurant partly owned by Deen. At one point, the Attorney asked Deen if she had ever used the N-word. Deen replied “Yes, of course,” before adding, “It’s been a very long time.” Deen, it should be noted, is 66 years old and was born and raised in the South. Like everyone else, she is the product of her environment. She could easily have answered the question in the negative – although, technically, that would have been lying under oath. She could have answered by saying “not that I recall”, which would have gotten her off the hook without lying, but she chose to be honest; not just saying “yes”, but saying “yes, of course.”

It is likely that Ms. Deen has thrown away her career, and this fact is a damning indictment of modern American society. She is being dragged over the coals for using a particular word, years ago – when the very people who are supposed to be so offended by this particular word actually use it on a daily basis. There is a certain, disturbing insanity to this whole episode. Those who are now punishing Paul Dean are guilty of staggering hypocrisy; they themselves are the bigots and they are being dishonest. The N-word cannot be banished from use, for, if it is, then we are allowing the complete, politically motivated purging of the English language. In addition; if we are to practice true racial equality, then black people must also be punished for using the N-word – regardless of the context in which they use it; for to allow the use of any word in one context and outlaw it, when used in another, is both morally wrong and legally unenforceable.

If we allow the current trend of censorship to continue, the PC police will tear our society apart and impose truly Orwellian restrictions up our freedom of speech and, eventually, our freedom of thought.

Written by Graham J Noble

Source

24 Responses to "Paula Deen Punished for Honesty by Dishonest Bigots"

1. SanFernandoCurt   June 27, 2013 at 9:23 am

Amid all the sneering is suggestion Deen’s message is, “If you knew me, you would understand that these words are not a reflection of who I am.” Somehow, in reasoning known only to the pathologically sanctimonious who enjoy this wolf-packing, that intention is to condemn Deen, as well. Yet, on basis of words we never heard Deen speak, because of conclusions we have no evidence to make, we presume to know Deen, read her soul, and declare it toxic.

Deen has every right to be shaken and paranoid, as do we all, since new paradigm evidently holds that we can be punished by public humiliation and unemployment for anything we ever did which can be teased and mutated to violation of tendentious, corrupt “Tolerance”.

On “Today” this morning, Deen invoked the Christian “let him without sin cast the first stone”. But in our Millennial “tolerance”, we are to prove our cheap moral superiority by casting the biggest stones at our civic scapegoats. And we are never to forgive.

“Anti-racism” no longer is personal conviction or legitimate public crusade. It is pathology, and this is one of the creepiest, unjustified floggings on record.

2. Ms. D.F.   June 24, 2013 at 6:00 pm

We still have freedom of speech in this country! We have the freedom to change channels and choose who we buy from too! Therefore, I am exercising my freedom of choice. I am boycotting Smithfield foods (all of their brand names), and all shows on the Food Network channel. I’m boycotting them for the rest of my life. Yes, I’m very serious. I will read a book, watch a movie, or watch a different channel, during the time I was watching Food Network channel. By the way, I never watched Paula Deen’s show, and it was because I didn’t like her demeanor. I did buy one of her ceramic pans from Walmart. This issue is about way more than Paula Deen. I hope everyone who feels as I do, will join me in boycotting anyone who rejects Paula Deen for something she said.

3. Penny Marie Sautereau   June 23, 2013 at 1:02 pm

Er… sorry but no, you’re just spouting fear-mongering conspiracy theorist bullsh*t here. Freedom OF speech does not mean you’re free from the consequences of saying stupid things. She is NOT being “Punished for being honest”, nor are the executives of the Food Network “dishonest bigots” for firing her. This has nothing to do with political correctness either. If you can sit there and call this situation Orwelliam with a straight face you need therapy and medication for your unchecked paranoia, because this is about nothing but a BUSINESS protecting their BUSINESS. A sizable chunk of the Food Network’s audience is ethnic, and they run the risk o losing that audience, (and thus market shares), if they sit on their hands and do nothing while one of their EMPLOYEES, (and yes, that’s all Paula Deen is here, an EMPLOYEE), is making them look bad by saying racist hurtful things. They have EVERY right to terminate her employment if her behavior risks hurting company profits. That’s how business works. If you work for a company you follow their rules. Deen didn’t, and she got fired. IT IS AS SIMPLE AS THAT.

I’m going to go out on a limb here and guess the author of this conspiracy theorist nonsense is a middle-aged conservative white guy. Only explanation I can think of for this delusional, paranoid and racially clueless drivel.

• Graham Noble   June 23, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Your highly confrontational and aggressively-worded comment suggests, to me, that you are another Leftist who is merey driven by hatred for anyone who holds a point of view with which you disagree.

If you had taken care to read my article correctly, you would have seen that I did not – at any point – criticize the Food Network for terminating Ms. Deen’s contract; that is their prerogative. I actually understand exactly why they did so and do not consider it fair for the network to be criticized for that decision. When I used the word ‘punished’, I was referring to the general outpouring of phony anger against Ms. Deen.

I am not judging her as a person, either way; she may be a wonderful person or a dreadful human being. I am commenting on the hypocrisy of so much fuss being made by people who have so often turned a blind eye to the term being used by other people.

This woman admitted to having used the term, at some point in her life. So what? I hear the word used on an almost daily basis.

The Food Network made an expedient decision. As for the rest of the ‘outrage’; it’s phony, hypocritical and a waste of everyone’s time and energy.

4. KW   June 23, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Yes, people can say what they want…just be prepared for consequences. I do not go around calling people out of their name because it is not polite, and I can find other ways to express myself. When other people in my own family say something that is racist toward anoth person and/or people I call them on it. Some things are not right…protected by the Constitution or not. I DO NOT approve of it being used I the African American community either. There are other terms of endearment that would suffice.

• Graham Noble   June 23, 2013 at 12:28 pm

I cannot argue with your personal point of view on the matter. I never use the word and – frankly – it make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, every time I hear it. I just happen to think it sets a very dangerous precedent to punish someone for using a word, merely because it has been deemed to be ‘offensive’; where does that end? What other words will become ‘forbidden’? Already, the current administration is pushing a culture of eliminating ALL references to a person’s race (and I may write a detailed article about this, in the near future).

You could be forgiven for accusing me of being overly dramatic, here, but this entire incident has shades of George Orwell’s ‘1984’, where language, and, therefore, thought, eventually become strictly regulated.

• KW   June 23, 2013 at 12:49 pm

I would agree with you if she was just some Paula that lives down the street. Because there are people that say it all the time and aren’t losing their jobs. There are actually people that laugh along with them and then pretend to be your friend to your face. The difference is the fact that this Paula represents a network (whose audience is made up of different races). If she wants to say it they have no control over that. They do have control over having her represent them.

Question for you….there are words used to describe other people of color….would you be ok with them being used by anyone? They come from a place where people did not understand someone who was different from them and their aim was to make them feel lesser than.

I am not comfortable with this discussion taking a direction of who commits worse crimes. If certain recent high profile cases had the races switched I am sure that the person would not have been out on bail in order to flee the state. Most likely people would have wanted to see him hang. There are some horrendous crimes that are committed by people who are not African American. So, I think going off on that tangent is not a good idea. It is a far stretch to equate it to what is happening to this television personality.

Once again…she will be just fine. Maybe this will allow her to do some things that are out of the public eye and barring beinging illegal (which using that word was not) she will be covered by the Constitution.

• Graham Noble   June 23, 2013 at 1:07 pm

To put it as concisely as I am able; I deplore racism, regardless of which race is targeted. I also deplore censorship; every human being (in the so-called ‘free world’) has a choice, regarding what they watch on television; whom they listen to and with whom they associate. I do not believe that any speech should be ‘banned’, regardless of who is employing it or who finds it ‘offensive’.

The generally-accepted rule was always that the right to free speech ended at actually inciting violence; I’m happy to go along with that limitation. There is not one single word or phrase that I, personally, would like to see proscribed, based on it being ‘offensive’.

As for the Food Network dropping Deen; they have every right to do so and should not be blamed for that decision; I was more disturbed by the general outpouring of anger against her for having admitted that she had used the word, when it is used, in a derogatory manner, by many of the people who are feigning outrage.

I appreciate the non-confrontational nature in which you have chosen to indulge: This, for me, is not about point-scoring or attempting to ‘win’ an argument; sometimes, people just have to ‘agree to disagree’. Having said that; mature discussion and debate is always constructive.

• KW   June 23, 2013 at 1:18 pm

What would you think about a group of children using racial (or non-racial) terms to torment another child…would you think it words had no harm and be ok? They would be hateful and inexcuseable right? Not just words…but carry with them a pain that would essentially go for the jugular of that child. Hurtful words have no place and should not be tolerated. That word goes for the jugular of people that lived the experience of being called that to their face and denied entrance to public bathrooms, hotels, restaurants, etc. Ultimately as a private citizen she can go to town with the word (along with numerous others) just not represent a network.

5. KLH   June 23, 2013 at 11:43 am

I’m a little late to the party here but wanted to point out a few things to you and your readers …
    If Deen’s campaigning for Obama in 2008 can be taken at face value, the people you claim are attacking her are residing on the same side of the political fence as she. See, not every white women from below the Mason-Dixon is a conservative Republican.
    Additionally, I agree with most of what you’ve said here, though I never, ever use that or similar words. And, for the record, I am one of these supposedly hypocritical lefties you’re so gleefully disparaging in this piece. From the South. But I vehemently defend your right to your own opinions … and words, for that matter.
    As for the origins of the word in question … No, it hasn’t always been a pejorative but it has always been a word used to refer to persons based on the color of their skin. And it’s been a pejorative for more than 100 years now. So lets not fool ourselves, the word is offensive to a significant percentage of the population.
    Finally, a note on the wedding … I read the transcript … It was disturbing but not as disturbing as some have claimed.

• Graham Noble   June 23, 2013 at 12:11 pm

It is of no interest to me whether or not Deen supports President Obama. I am not a fan of the President – or his supporters – to say the least, but I will defend anyone’s right to free speech.

Yes, you are quite correct in pointing out that I am ‘gleefully disparaging’ the Left: It is the Left that has forced ‘political correctness’ upon us, and then decided that it doesn’t apply to them. The Right has no interest in it and no interest in censorship.

I agree that the ‘n-word’, despite it’s origins, is now considered a highly offensive term. However; those who are supposed to be offended by it are the very people who regularly use it.

In summary; I’m pointing out the absolutely ridiculous overreaction to this entire affair. It is analogous to gun violence: Each time a black person is shot and killed by a white person, it is some national tragedy and everyone wants to talk about gun-control – all the while, ignoring the fact that tragically high numbers of black people are shot and killed every year, by other black people.

Either condemn something across the board or do not condemn it at all, is what I’m getting at.

6. Scott   June 22, 2013 at 8:06 pm

Maybe she should have said, “In 1986 I was lost ,without Christ and hopeless . Them Jesus changed my life , and I no longer see color but I see content.The content of a soul measured in the weight of eternity. That same Jesus forbids me to lie about my past, but compels me to change it.”I am sure people would have been more forgiving then,instead of judging a person for what she said 27 years ago.

• KW   June 23, 2013 at 7:13 am

What she was responding to (during the deposition) was not just using a racial epitah. She was at the deposition because of how an employee was treated (by negative language and actions) at one of her establishments. I know her story, and I doubt her wedding idea was ’27 years ago’. So, I suppose you agree that a SLAVERY themed wedding is a neat (her words not mine) idea? She admitted to that also. Luckily the people around her shot it down. They could have easliy gone along with it becasue she was their boss. But, they understood how CRAZY and RACIST the idea was! I will say once again that being from the south is no excuse for continuing bad behavior. I have seen many behaviors In my life time that I have chosen (because we ALL make choices) not to continue. She has free will. She does now and and she did then.

7. jason   June 22, 2013 at 4:48 pm

I hate political correctness!! NIGER NIGER NIGER NIGER, NOW WHAT LIBS?!

• KW   June 22, 2013 at 6:03 pm

To the person who doesn’t even know how to spell the word correctly……I am an African-American woman, and I would dare to say that you would not be brazen enough to say that to me face to face. The internet is your hiding zone.

To the author,

What perplexes me is the fact that you use a person who has questionable morals as an example of someone who is being wrongly treated. She did not come out about her health issues (diabetes brought on by diet) until she (along with other members of her family) were under contract with a company to make money. She knew the way she was cooking was unhealthy, and she kept this up for two years. Maybe this happening to her is the just dessert fror being a not so nice and/or honest person. Being from the south is not an excuse. There are plenty of people who have evolved and seen that living your life in the a negative way is not healthy and wrong. Each individual has to learn what is not a tradition/behavior from the previous generation(s) that need to end because they are quite honestly primitive. That is the point of life….to learn.

I personally feel as if the word should be archived and used by no one. People using it (trying to take back it’s power) should still not use it. It might not have started out as having a negative meaning but I am sure you can agree that it is no longer the case. You can not honestly say that the word is used in a positive light by whomever is using it. Case in point…..the pathetic comment from the grammatically challenged individual above.

• Graham Noble   June 23, 2013 at 11:59 am

I’m passing no judgment on Deen as a person; she may be a wonderful human being or a monster – probably depending on who you ask. My article is nothing more than a comment upon the dangers of censorship and condemning someone for using a word that is deemed offensive. In addition, I felt the need to point out that many of those who promote ‘political correctness’ are often, themselves, guilty of directing the most vile ‘hate-speech’ against those with whom they disagree. As for the word in question being used in a ‘positive’ light: Here in the Deep South, the word is used with high frequency within the black community (and by some white people) as a term of endearment: Calling someone a ‘n***er’ being akin to calling them a ‘homie’ or a ‘bud’.

With regard to the individual who chose to repeat the name of an African country several times….I don’t know what to make of that!

• jason   June 23, 2013 at 4:15 pm

Im from Louisiana and half my friends are black we say it to each other all the time im a 260 cage fighter so if you think i would be scared to say it infront of your face you would be fooling yourself of that greatly. You better get on the right side cause those on the left will be taken out when the second American revolution starts. Later my Nigga

• KW   June 23, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Wow….seems as if the cage fighting has gone to your brain? The fact that you have no respect for women (especially women of color) tells me only one thing…. you are primitive in your thought process. Not sure if these so called buddies of yours would be pleased if you called their Mom that! Try that out and see how it sits with them. Do not be presumptive enough to think that you could say that to someone on the street and think it’s ok. Oh wait, you are a cage fighter so the first thing is get up into someone’s face (male or female) and call them a n****r? Again….WOW! The thing is, I have friends that have different political views than mine and we have discussions as adults. What we do for a profession (cage fighter?, lawyer, or school teacher) does not change how we feel about humanity. If they wanted to take a stance of ‘I have a machismo profession and I can kick your butt to prove a point because I’M A CAGE FIGHTER, then they we not friends.

Oh…and I am not your N**** and such disrespect is not Manly or anything to be proud of.

8. KW   June 22, 2013 at 12:33 pm

I am disturbed by this article because quite frankly it says it’s ok to use a word that has a negative meaning right now…in the present. It is not ok for anyone (including African Americans) to use the word. The problem that many have with Paula Dean is the fact that she also wanted to do a slavery themed wedding and thought it sounded like a good idea. To want to do something that is a scar in American History (and where a race of people were whipped, raped, sold, beaten down and worse) as a theme to celebrate the start of two people’s life together gives one a glimpse into the type of person she is and to say that she is being singled out is a view into your belief system. How about 0 tolerance for ANYONE who uses any derogatory words against another Human Being?

• Graham Noble   June 22, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Your point is well-taken. With regard to the slave-theme wedding; that seems a bizarre idea, displaying extremely bad judgement and poor taste.

The idea I was trying to convey in my article is two-fold: Firstly, that we should not be censoring speech at all; regardless of who is offended. This is my PERSONAL opinion, with which – of course – many will disagree. Secondly; we cannot sensor one group of people and give another group a pass. If the N-word is to be erased from our vocabulary, then it should be condemned across the board – regardless of who is using it, and in whatever context.

• KW   June 23, 2013 at 11:59 am

Yes, she can say what she wants to say. She was not arrested for her statements because she is protected by the Constitution on that. But, she has to be prepared to take the consequences. It can’t be Poor Paula…she is being short changed. She was under oath and should not be given more credit than she deserved by being honest. That is why you are sworn in.

In regard to the wedding….speaking as a person of color…I am offended that she wanted to use a theme (for a newly married couples celebration) that is a scar in American History. I wonder if a Hitler theme would have been acceptable and not as bad. Slavery was a bloody, violent, soul crushing part of the African American experience in this country. I speak from experience of the fact that we are often considered to be at the low rung of the pole. There is no such thing as being a little bigoted. If the rest of the people making the decision about the wedding went along with her….there would have been a SLAVERY themed wedding in her work history. When do we stop making excuses for grown ups?