World War Z Versus The Walking Dead Zombies

I Know I Would Die 4 Sure

World War Z Versus The Walking Dead Zombies

There has been some speculation on the inter webs the past few weeks. After the premiere of World War Z, and in anticipation of the new season of The Walking Dead, there is one question on every bodies mind: How do the zombies compare?

The best answer comes from this twitter user: “#walkingdead makes me believe that I would b able to survive the zombie apocalypse but after watching #WorldWarZ I know I would die 4 sure.” The user might be referring to the fact that the zombies in World War Z are lightning fast, can climb, and are just really aggressive. The zombies in The Walking Dead are just as deadly but go at a slightly slower pace after your life force.

Brad Pitt also wanted add his two cents:”We’re dealing with a genre that’s been pretty well mined and done really well. We’re not the gore of The Walking Dead. Ours operates more of as a thriller. Ours is really intense.” Many Walking Dead fans might disagree with this statement, and refute the statement by pointing out that The Walking Dead is just as intense. Maybe even more, because you have to be glued to your screen for a whole season worth of episodes, therefore the bond, and intensity will be much stronger than with a movie of a few hours.

Lets start our competition, with zombies of “World War Z

Zombies don’t like to work together. Every walking dead one fends for themselves. However World War Z actually have some working brain cells left, or a ghost form of that, and see the benefit in working together. They create a zombie type pyramid in order to climb over the wall. (They are drawn by the sound of signing, apparently their hearing hasn’t been affected either by their transformation from human to zombie.) As opposed to The Walking Dead zombies.

onto “The Walking Dead” in order to complete our versus list;

Zombies usually don’t attack animals. They like to dine on human flesh, but animals are taken out of the equation. Unlike vampires who need to control their human blood need. Apparently vampires, here’s looking at you Edward Cullen, don’t have any qualms drinking animal blood. However the zombies in The Walking Dead actually surrounded a horse and used the poor animal as an appetizer. This is not like World War Z. In the movie the zombies just stick to humans.

Scott Farrar, the visual effects supervisor, had a few more things to add before we wrap up the “World War Z” versus The Walking Dead zombies comparison: “The single hardest thing about that was just making those piles look right without something going wrong, you’re always battling with what looks good and cool in a movie and still feels real.” He added: “You can look at these shots every day for months and then all of the sudden you’re almost ready to go to final and somebody will spot something that’s wrong in the shot, it’s like Where’s Waldo?”

Scott also wanted fans to know that: “This idea of just stumbling around didn’t make any sense. So we broke with tradition in many ways, we weren’t trying to be like another movie, we were trying to be like, ‘What would be real? What would be the science behind it if this were real?’ They wouldn’t even put their hands out in front of them; they would dive for the prey with the teeth. They just keep going until they get that bite.” Most fans argue that the zombies in World War Z are more flexible, agile and faster but not as gory or suspenseful as the zombies in The Walking Dead. Who do you think should “win” in the World War Z Versus The Walking Dead Zombies competition?

By Georgina Pijttersen

source

8 Responses to "World War Z Versus The Walking Dead Zombies"

1. Zombie Hunter   January 31, 2014 at 12:16 pm

I hate the movie. It should never have been made, and if it did, another name should have been chosen. I wouldn’t have wasted my time because ‘that’s not what happened in the book’. I guess you can say the zombies in the walking dead resemble the ones in the book world war z rather than the movie

2. Jilian   October 27, 2013 at 9:43 pm

The zombies in World War Z did not eat humans, all they did was attack them and bite them, whereas the zombies in The Walking Dead actually have to eat live humans or animals to survive. There was not one scene in World War Z in which a zombie appeared to be eating a human. They are similar to the Walking Dead zombies in that they are both attracted to sound and they seem to run in large packs with the occasional straggler being seen alone. Thehumans that are bitten in World War Z turn into zombies much faster. They turn within seconds of being bitten, whereas in The Walking Dead, the bite is followed by a severe illness and fever that lasts for days before killing the host, and resurrection happens anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours after death. The kill method is the same in both TWD and WWZ, which is a head shot, or anything that destroys the brain. Other than the similarities in the zombies, there are many other similarities between TWD and WWZ. Gerry and Rick both head out in search of a medical research facility, in WWZ it is the W.H.O. research facility and in TWD it is the Center for Disease Control. Israel resembles “Woodbury” in that the people build what seems to be a fortress to keep the zombies out, The plane crash scene in WWZ where Gerry has the piece of metal stuck through his abdomen and then takes a tumble down a hilll onto the ground bears resemblance to the scene in TWD where Darryl is ouit in the woods searching for Sophia and takes a tumble down a hill and gets the arrow from his crossbow lodged in the same spot as Gerry, and then, like Gerry, he takes a downhill tumble with the arrow still stuck in his gut. In WWZ when Gerry hacks off the Israeli soldier’s arm after she’s bitten to keep her from turning in awfully similar to the time in TWD where they cut off Hershel’s leg after he’s bitten for the same reason. There are plenty of other similarities but these are just a few of the more obvious ones. Hope you enjoyed them both. I did.

3. Bonnie Howell   October 16, 2013 at 2:51 am

Love all shows with zombies. Let’s admit it..some are dumb..either by the writing or no story line. That being said, must say I live The Walking Dead. It scares me all week, until the next episode. World War Z did not scare me more than the time it took to watch. The zombies from The Walking Dead are way more realistic to me and follow George Romero’s vision of zombies more. The war I would envision them..dead, rotting corpses.
    Sorry for typos..working from a smart phone..wouldn’t let me correct.

4. Todd   July 22, 2013 at 7:18 pm

Interesting article. You should draw from the source material Max Brook’s Novel which gives greater description of the nature of his zombies than the movie. Also, spell check- you have typos.

5. Jay Emmcee   July 11, 2013 at 10:17 pm

My vote is for the shambling, rotting, feted hideous walkers in the Walking Dead. The park girl crawler (Season 1) and the well walker still give me da creepz. The kills in WWZ were no where near as satisfying as watching wholesale decapitations and between-the-eye shots from Darryl’s crossbow. +1 for the Walking Dead.

6. vanizork   July 10, 2013 at 1:30 pm

The zombies in The Walking Dead are more “realistic” in my opinion (as ‘realistic’ as sticking to the traditional conception of zombies as rotting corpses ready to make a gore-fest out of their unfortunate prey). The “fast-moving” types of zombies from 28 Days and World War Z never really scared me at all. Instead, what I find terrifying are the slow-moving, decomposing, gorey zombies of The Walking Dead and its ilk. Probably another factor is the TV series nature of the show (instead of a one-off movie), where, having more character development, one feels more “involved” and in suspense when a character dies.

7. J.   June 24, 2013 at 11:36 pm

I must say I disliked this commentary that the zombies from WWZ had some sort of intelligence, if anything them climbing over one another to reach their prey shows a disregard for one another. I absolutely loved how they poured over one another to get to a human, many zombie reiterations often have seemingly harmonious hordes waiting patiently in line to get their piece of the action. If I had one directive in life I would be going up, over, and through anything to get to it like the WWZ zombies. By the way I am a huge fan and supporter of both stories.

8. Mary Ann   June 24, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Brad Pitt can make a movie about zombies and turn it into an epic. What a guy! Thank God that neither zombie worlds (WWZ & Walking Dead) are real!!