Scarlett Johansson has been all over the headlines recently as many accuse her of having a conflict of interest by representing the Israeli-based company, SodaStream, and serving as an ambassador for Oxfam. That fact alone combined with her stunning beauty makes her interesting to many, but there are at least 10 more ways that the superstar stands out.
1. Johansson is a twin. Born alongside her brother, Hunter Johansson, on November 22, 1984, Scarlett has the edge as the older sibling by just three minutes. It seems that the pair both have a bit of the acting bug, as they appeared together in the 1996 dramatic comedy Manny & Lo. They also have an older brother, Adrian, who was born in 1976.
2. Johannson attended the famed Manhattan Professional Children’s School. The school claims a number of stars among its graduates, including the likes of Carrie Fisher and Sarah Michelle Gellar.
3. She was rejected by New York University’s Tisch School of the Arts. The now superstar was reportedly turned down in 2003, and following the rejection decided to just focus on her career. By all accounts, it seems to have worked out alright for her in the long run.
4. Johansson is a talented and accomplished singer. She recorded an album of Tom Waits covers in 2007 titled Anywhere I Lay May Head. Also in 2007, she reportedly joined the Jesus and Mary Chain on stage at the Coachella music festival. She released a second album, Break Up, in 2009 that consisted of a collection of duets with Pete Yorn. In addition, a song she recorded, Before My Time, for the film Chasing Ice was nominated for an Oscar for Best Original Song in 2013.
5. Johansson landed her first television appearance at the age of 8 when she appeared in a skit on Late Night With Conan O’Brian in 1993.
6. Johansson was deemed just too beautiful to pull off the role of Lisbeth Salander in the film adaptation of Stieg Larsson’s best-selling novel The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.
7. A fact that is perhaps known to many, but may have been forgotten by some, will be interesting to both fans of Johansson and fans of another superstar, Ryan Reynolds. The two were quietly married in 2008 and quietly divorced thereafter in 2011. Johansson is currently engaged to a French journalist, Romain Dauriac.
8. Johannson’s political interests are not just limited to her work with Oxfam. She has been a staunch supporter of President Obama throughout both of his terms of service. She even spoke in support of Obama at the 2012 Democratic National Convention.
9. Lindsay Lohan beat out Johansson for the lead in Disney’s 1998 remake of the classic The Parent Trap. Fans of both stars can only speculate as to how the two actors’ trajectories to stardom may have been different had Johansson won out.
10. Johannson is terrified of cockroaches. She reportedly woke up with one on her face at one time and now can’t abide the mere thought of the creeping creatures.
Johansson has proved herself interesting as an actress from the time of her earliest film debut in 1994’s North. Perhaps these 10 facts will serve to make her even more interesting to the masses as a human being.
By Michele Wessel