‘Fake’ Snow Rumored to Be Falling All Over United States

'Fake' Snow Rumored to be Falling All Over United States

It has been going around the internet that fake snow that has recently fallen all over the United States, that it is somehow “geo-engineered” or “plastic”. Numerous videos have even showed up on various conspiracy theory websites and also YouTube saying the white stuff is also unable to be burned.  Some individuals are saying the fake snow is because of HAARP, which many conspiracy theorists thinks is a project created by the United States in order to control the weather and even cause earthquakes.

Most of the video clips are of an individual holding a flame next to a portion of snow and show the camera that it does not melt or drip any kind of water. Instead the snow turns black, and the person being filmed exclaims the snow is bogus. Many also state that the snow even has the smell of burnt plastic after they tried to light up some of the alleged counterfeit snow. The majority of people trying to light up the snow are using butane lighters.

Many who believe this is a hoax state that lighters are simply not a good way to try and burn snow. They state that the butane lighters will make a black mark under beneath almost anything that does not outright burn. They have put up videos which showed different people trying to burn ice pieces out of the freezer, and they too went black. The debunkers say that butane always ends up burning dirty. The smell does not come from the snow, nor does the snow turn black because it is plastic, all this happens is due to the butane.

People have tended to panic out after the events of this winter so far with the strange storms. It is not surprising that videos such as the ones above have went viral. There actually is a story for everything that has happened, and it is reality. For anyone that wants to listen to science, what is happening with the snow is explained in a process which the United States Geologic Survey calls “sublimation”.  Steve Ackerman, who is just a normal scientist, and who does not work for any group associated with the U.S. government, was able to explain what sublimation is a bit more in detail.

Ackerman is a professor of oceanic and atmospheric sciences at the University of Wisconsin, and he is laughs off the idea of fake snow. He enlightens that whenever there is an interface of both water and air, either solid or liquid, there will be molecules attempting to leave the water. Additionally, the intense change that happens in temperatures when snow or ice is affected by something, such as a lighter, causes the solid to transfer to a vapor.

Sublimation is apparent inside of a freezer, where ice cubes can eventually shrink with the passage of time, or out in fields where there is snow. They can sooner or later disappear without melting. A person will see that there is not any liquid water nor is there any hard ice which comes from melting, but the snow still is able to shrink.

So the absurd idea of snow being fake is just that, absurd, it is not “geo-engineered” or “plastic”, no matter what any website or YouTube video has to say.

By Kimberly Ruble

Addicting Info News

FOX News

The Epoch Times

22 Responses to "‘Fake’ Snow Rumored to Be Falling All Over United States"

1. Eric Grondahl   February 10, 2014 at 5:24 am

A butane lighter has no where near the heat needed to make snow sublimate into gas instantly. A propane torch BARELY has the heat to do so. MAPP Gas has a BETTER chance but not even then is it likely. You’d need something like Oxy/acetylene to make this happen.

2. Eric Grondahl   February 10, 2014 at 5:13 am

So I just went outside and grabbed a snowball. I live in MN. No lighter marks, and melted EXACTLY how it should. So I am guessing the fake stuff has to be “real”

• Anne Sauvie   March 6, 2014 at 9:40 am

It is “real” fake snow. It’s being dumped all over the USA this winter. Geo-engineering via chemtrails.

3. Mike   February 6, 2014 at 1:49 pm

There are people in other parts of the world make this same test and the snow simply melts. You mean to tell me that their snow is special and doesn’t adhere to the laws of physics?

4. peaches   February 4, 2014 at 6:59 pm

Something is going on I do not care who believe it or not or who try to cover it up as usual people need to use common dam sense and stop being a dam fool believing all the in high paying people to dispute it to us I can’t believe how many are blind to what’s all happening and really truly going on out here in the world

5. David   February 4, 2014 at 1:39 am

whats happening? we drive, almost all 7 billion of us and we wonder whats going on? we are changing the chemical composure of our atmosphere with combustion tech that is well over a hundred years old already. get with it. we burn tons of quantifiable co2 into our tiny atmosphere every single day. tell me, is it plastic or is water bonding with something it shouldnt in the air?

6. Bryan Elliott   February 3, 2014 at 10:39 pm

If you treat low-density ice with superheated water vapor and carbon oxides, you’re going to get sublimated water vapor and deposited carbon. And partially-burned butane stinks like plastic. My god people are stupid sometimes.

• David   February 4, 2014 at 1:42 am

Bryan is the only other person to comment here that has a clue as to what science is.

• Ian   February 7, 2014 at 1:39 pm

Ok so I tried this test with a match, and let it burn off the magnesium to the point it was only wood, then put it up to the snow. I also burned it from the side so the carbon was being put into the air, not the bottom of the snow. It still smelled like burning chemicals…. explain this to me science man. Oh and by the way, Ive consistently scored in the 97th percentile in the nation in science….

7. Rod Czlonka   February 3, 2014 at 7:00 pm

The issue is not if the snow will melt, it will. The issue is that it takes much longer to melt than normal snow. I do not believe that sublimation can account for so that will not melt when subjected to an open flame. Why is it not plausible that the snow has been altered so that it reacts differently to natural conditions? Before any of this was brought to my attention I heard people complaining that the highways were not being salted and there were numerous multi-car accidents. If the melting threshold of the snow was altered, perhaps salt would not have the same effect? I find it hard to believe that after thousands of years of snow exposure someone just discovered now that it won’t melt when you put a lighter under it? Really?

8. Mike   February 3, 2014 at 3:00 pm

Oh! As for your source the professor at the University of Wisconsin, I will like to give him the benefit of the doubt and guess that he himself have not attempted this experiment.

9. Mike   February 3, 2014 at 2:49 pm

Actually, this article is bending the TRUTH!! Snow does melt and can form both water and vapor (the gaseous state of H20, water). The state of water depends on temperature and pressure, as it is with other liquids. I tried this experiment recently as I recalled doing when I was young (always been curios) and certainly the snow didn’t melt and did smell like plastic. I’m a scientist by nature (engineer by profession). I thought maybe it may be contaminated by the lighter and heat source. So I took some clean snow and placed in a spoon to isolate the heat source and snow and attempted to liquefy it. Certainly, the snow melted to some form of clear liquid, but unlike the snow from childhood it contained an unpleasant odor. Less just say I won’t dare put it in my mouth and taste it. If was a kid who ate snow, you’ll understand. So what exactly is this? Honestly, I don’t know. I do know that you can chemically create the proper conditions to artificial simulate almost anything. As for the polymer like smell, what a coincidence that sodium polyacrylate is used to make fake snow. Yes it’s a type of plastic that happens to be clear. And how does it work you may ask? Simple add water to sodium polyacrylate and just like that the appearance of snow that feels and looks like the real thing. So let’s just say I knew I had the right atmospheric conditions, say enough precipitation so it will certainly rain and then I sprinkle just enough mist of sodium polyacrylate in the air, as a scientist thinking a little crazy, I think I could give you guys a nice white Christmas. If you wondering where you have seen something similar that can absorb water and solidify in such a way, simple, have you ever bought the water crystal air freshener. Well same thing!

10. nicole   February 3, 2014 at 2:11 pm

Sounds like John just likes to bully behind his computer.

11. Geneva   February 3, 2014 at 1:03 pm

If it is plastic, why isn’t it still on the ground. Plastic don’t melt, it should still be on the ground!

12. Dave J   February 3, 2014 at 10:39 am

Put this to the test, and you can see the results in this video:

To better understand why snow melts like it does (leaving a residue and not much liquid), read about: thermodynamics, sublimation, and hydrocarbons.

Totally normal.

13. Lee   February 3, 2014 at 8:25 am

Jayne, just go ahead and say it was evil Republican’s fault. They are out to get you. And Obama, blessed be his coming and his going, is going to save us from these evil Repiblican invention of fake snow (after he makes everyone in the ‘hood rich). Just be honest, you’ll feel better. And feeling is what makes reality, right? Did you not read the examples in the article? Ice from you very on freezer, left for a long time, will get smaller. Why is this Jayne? Sublimation! And it has nothing to do with limons, or subs, LOL.

14. Hec   February 3, 2014 at 3:33 am

The rumors are happening all over the United States so something is telling me that this has to be real in some type of way.

15. Mike Gonzalez (@clumpdud)   February 2, 2014 at 8:27 pm

Explain this fake snow please? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IF2MWkM3ao

16. John   February 2, 2014 at 8:05 pm

You are a poor excuse for a writer .. maybe try something else .. wow

17. Kathi Lance Parlier   February 2, 2014 at 3:41 pm

Well I sure hope it was not fake snow, even though I could not make a snowball out of it here in GA , I sure made a huge bowl of snow cream and ate it and several snow snows, Sure was good.. So on that note I hope it was not fake LOL

18. John   February 2, 2014 at 1:19 pm

Judging by your name jayne you’ve yet to be diagnosed with down syndrome. It’s usually the poor people who jump to conspiracy theories because of their lack of education.

19. jayne   February 2, 2014 at 12:55 pm

Ok so why when i made a damm snowball and pressed it between my hands hard wirhojt the use of a lighter did my hands smell of plastic. It is a fact.. there is somerhing very wrong here.. and by rhe way rhere were no water drops from fhe heat of my hands.. it just hardened like a plastically rubber ball.