Oil Pulling Craze Now Has Dentists Weighing In

Oil Pulling

A recent craze in oil pulling, the ancient process of swishing oil in around in ones mouth to improve dental hygiene, now has some dentists interested and weighing in on whether the method is actually effective.

The trend, which comes from the holistic practice of Ayurvedic medicine, originated some 3,000 to 5,000 years ago in India. According to the practice, the oil (coconut oil, or sometimes sesame oil, are often what are used) helps to kill bacteria in a person’s mouth, keeping it healthy and essentially free of germs. Ayurvedic practitioners also often use natural products such and herbal tree leaves to keep their mouths germ-free and healthy as well.

Experienced oil pullers may often pull oil for anywhere from 15 to 20 minutes, but it is recommended that people new to the practice start with five minutes or so and gradually work their way up to longer. All of the alleged benefits of this medicinal technique have led many who have never before tried oil pulling to attempt it. Practitioners of Ayurvedic medicine claim that the process, in addition to improving dental hygiene, can also help to cure a multitude of issues, including acne, hangovers, and even diabetes.

In light of the spread of the oil pulling craze throughout the western culture, the trend now has dentists weighing in the subject. Patients who are eager to try oil pulling have been asking their dentists how it works and if it is even effective. Claims that it prevents cavities, whitens teeth, and removes toxins have people asking if it is a better alternative to mouthwash for killing bacteria in a person’s mouth. In addition, people are also asking if it is perhaps even a better alternative to whitening strips.

The verdict with many dentists is that, although there is no concrete evidence to back up the effectiveness of oil pulling, it still appears to be a safe and easy practice with no side effects. Swishing a teaspoon to a tablespoon of oil is said to be effective, particularly coconut oil, in the removal of plaque from teeth. However, dentists recommend to start off slowly, working up to more oil day by day, as the sensation can at first be hard to take, and even cause nausea or gagging if too much oil is used initially. They also recommend to brush and floss after the oil pulling process, as the bacteria and viruses pulled from the mouth and teeth will now be in the oil, and the residue may be left over. It is a good idea to get rid of the residue, dentists say  perhaps even in the garbage instead of in the sink. In addition, dentists still recommend getting two dental checkups a year and not using the oil treatment as a dental routine replacement.

As dentists have said as they have weighed in on the oil pulling craze, there seem to be no known side effects. One of the advantages to Ayurvedic medicine cited by practitioners is that it commonly has no side effects or adverse reactions in people, as opposed to many of the medicines or remedies of the Western culture. Ayurvedic medicine focuses on removing toxins from the body to promote good health, and uses all-natural substances in the body as remedies instead of anything which includes chemicals. The principle of Ayurveda is that good health of a person will be reached when a person’s body, mind, and spirit are at one with the universe.

By Laura Clark

The Huffington Post

KWWL.COM

WebMD

8 Responses to "Oil Pulling Craze Now Has Dentists Weighing In"

1. Fleet Dentist   May 12, 2015 at 4:32 am

I’m a dental student and I wasn’t aware about this oil pulling process. It sounds beneficial as it helps keep our mouth germ-free and healthy.
    Glad I found this information. Thanks.

2. Rihana   January 16, 2015 at 1:29 am

this is new to me.the best thing about going Ayurvedic is there are no side effects like medical drugs

3. Lance Porteous   September 2, 2014 at 5:33 pm

This is absolute garbage. Oil puling does not work. Go read a published research article and inform your self about what is really truth.

Erin:
    The topical fluoride (tooth paste like form applied directly to the teeth) used in a dental office is NOT harmful in any way at all. It is absolutely of greater benefit in protecting your teeth than oil pulling. The fluoride has a long term advantage in modifying the chemical composition of our enamel to make it less susceptible to decay (acid decay produced by bacteria in our mouths). Oil pulling with coconut oil might have some antibacterial capacities lending to some possible benefits similar to a Listerine mouth rinse, but this WILL NOT affect the bacterial plaque build up on our teeth. Hence, not a substitute for routine dental visits or brushing or flossing. And how do you measure teeth whitening objectively? Do you have before and after pics? If anything; probably just reflect more light after being covered in a layer of oil.

Vanessa:
    No, this would not make a normal/typical crown come off.

Gemma:
    Please DO NOT mislead the public at large. Folks, Periodontitis is a severe and advanced oral complication. A dentist will objectively measures pocket depths at 6 individual sites around each individual tooth to determine the amount of bone loss [imagine a lake (the bone height) receding down the shore line (the long axis of the tooth) in the late summer]. Generally, greater than ideal depths indicate Periodonitis. Greater and prolonged infection leads to more bone loss and deeper uncleansible pockets depths. The infection can be resolved but the pockets and Bone Loss will NEVER be restored without further dental intervention. BOTTOM LINE: Oil Pulling HAS NEVER AND WILL NEVER cure Periodontitis! As for the implant story; fighting the infection,not probable, I wont even begin to speculate on that one except that again folks, the oil pulling had nothing to do specifically with any bone growth or osseo-integration of the bone with the implant.

~A Concerned Dentist

4. danoj   August 30, 2014 at 11:08 am

Every dentists should first advise it to their patients . If that doesn’t work then only should he she prescribe antibiotics.
    Because oil pulling really does does whiten teeth, remove plaque, removes bad breath and it DID make my gums strong and bleeding stopped. Took me almost 2 years to bring myself to try it and I’ve never looked back (Plus I’ve not had the need to descale my teeth with was a biannual necessity) Did I mention that it removed the brown stains on my lower teeth because of my addiction to green tea?

Was this close to doing laser whitening procedure and quiting my beloved herbal teas, but thank God for coconut oil, there are no stains now and I can still indulge in my 3 to 9 cups of herbal teas all through the day.

My sleep is better and my memory has become sharper and no brain fog, these I did not attribute to oil pulling but after I left off oil pulling for a month most of these problems surfaced and receded again after I restarted the oil pulling. Also I gained 3 kilos afterbirth left off and now I’ve slimmed again. So that could be also due to oil pulling. My H pylori problem, bloating and burping and bad breath also disappeared.

I’m on the oil pulling band wagon for Ife and I recommend it to anyone I meet, its a public service that I have taken upon myself. STOP aspartame and msg and start oil pulling.

5. Erin Sinclair   June 29, 2014 at 8:19 am

I am currently using this technique and while I still brush and floss I’ve eliminated flouride from my dental hygiene routine because it is so dangerous. My teeth look very white. Kong term use? Time will tell. I use organic cold pressed coconut. The taste is neutral but the texture and sensation takes some getting use to.

6. Denise   May 9, 2014 at 3:55 am

Honestly speaking first time i heard about this…looking forward to more and detail information about this..And i would also going to discuss with my dentists…lets see they also know about this or not..

7. Vanessa Thehairdressa Martocchio   March 17, 2014 at 1:53 pm

I heard it can make crowns fall out, is this true??

8. gemma huang   March 17, 2014 at 10:51 am

I first discovered oil pulling about 8 years ago when had a horibble sinus infection, I was trying to avoid antibiotics because they make me sicker when try to take them. They kill infection but also destroy all the good bacteria we need for a healthy immune system. Then I began oil pulling for my peridontitis which months after was completely healed. My dentist was shocked at how perfect my gums became. I used oil pulling also to heal a old infection from a dental implant. i have x-rays that were taken in 4 month intervals to monitor the bone growth and was able to save a $7000 implant that was almost rejected by my body because of the bacteria deep inside the bone.