Long Island Medium Actually Big Time Fraud?

Long Island Medium

A private investigator continued to make claims this week that Long Island Medium star Teresa Caputo is actually a big time fraud. Private investigator Ron Tebo claims that Caputo does not have psychic powers, and engages in the kinds of con games that fake psychics have been using for hundreds of years.

Tebo claims the Caputo uses techniques like cold reading, eavesdropping, and plain old background checks on audience members to get her information. He has been interviewing Caputo’s clients and associates for over a year now, and has come to the conclusion that she is perpetrating a fraud on the public.

Teresa Caputo has just completed her fifth season of Long Island Medium. The show, which is one of TLC’s highest rated programs, is a mix of scenes from Caputo’s home life, her encounters with random strangers in public, and her group readings. Caputo’s shows are edited to remove all of her misses. Many of the complaints against the Long Island Medium are similar to those leveled against John Edward, host of the show Crossing Over, and phone psychic Miss Cleo. Edward, who admitted to using tricks to appear psychic in a Dateline NBC episodeMiss Cleo was brought up on federal charges for fraud.

One of the more tried and true methods of faking being a psychic is cold reading. Cold reading is a technique where the so called psychic will throw out bits of information, looking for people to confirm what the medium says. After the medium gets a hit, they will use context clues to make it seem like they are speaking to the person’s dead relative or friend. For example, a young woman wearing a wedding ring could be at an event looking to hear from her husband. A cold reader will say, “I am hearing from a young man,” hoping that the young woman has lost a husband. Or for an older woman, the cold reader could talk about an older gentleman who died of heart trouble. Heart disease is the number one killer of men in the country. It is not exactly a crap shoot. Eavesdropping is even easier. A false psychic can send out assistants into the crowd before the show and pick up information. It does not get any easier than just sending out someone to ask strangers, “Who do you hope to hear from?”

Perhaps the assertion that is most troubling for fans and believers of Caputo is that she does background checks on her audience members. When purchasing tickets to a Long Island Medium event, audience members give up their phone number and address. The venue will then feed Teresa Caputo this information, allowing her to come into appearances prepared. It does not always work, though. Tebo talked to people who attended Caputo’s April 5 show and were disappointed. They said she was disjointed and stuck only to the first floor of a three tiered arena. The audience members remarked that this seemed awfully convenient of the ghosts.

While it is impossible to say conclusively that Teresa Caputo is not psychic, all evidence points to the Long Island Medium being a big time fraud. How TLC and her fans deal with the situation remains to be seen.

By Bryan Levy

Sources
Radar Online
Jezebel
La Voz

238 Responses to "Long Island Medium Actually Big Time Fraud?"

1. James Turrill   May 14, 2016 at 5:02 pm

I have A very dear well-educated friend who recently lost his husband and she spoke to him about details that absolutely nobody could possibly know and nobody could possibly print A very dear well-educated friend who recently lost his husband and she spoke to him about details that absolutely nobody could possibly know and nobody could possibly predict. There will always be people who try to grab 15 minutes of fame by blowing out somebody else’s candle. But as my grandma used to say, blowing somebody else’s candle out will not make yours burn any brighter.

2. Gordon   May 2, 2016 at 10:36 pm

That’s stupid I wonder how many people bought tickets for it to go see her

3. Lorraine Foubister   May 1, 2016 at 11:58 pm

i dont care what any stupid investigator says i believe in Theresa i have a friend that lives here in the Yukon who is also a medium she does it for free can even read people online & has helped people just like Theresa does

4. Annamarie   May 1, 2016 at 2:21 am

Crap, this lady is geniun and I am sure if you reveal your religious beliefs we will see why you would like to claim that Theresa is a fraud!

5. Shelley   April 25, 2016 at 8:21 pm

Its entertainment it is no different her getting rich off lies as WWE formerly WWF, Little People, Honey Boo, come on its TLC that are the real thieves.

6. Lisa   April 18, 2016 at 12:29 pm

Oh please leave the lady alone. How does she hit names and places one-on-one with people without ever meeting them? She just confused in a large group

7. Williams   March 7, 2016 at 10:28 pm

She shouldn’t be getting rich off lies.

8. RICHARD   December 22, 2015 at 5:30 pm

Anyone who truly believes this woman has psychic powers is an idiot.

9. Liz Johnson   October 20, 2015 at 10:08 am

The end result is that she brings immense comfort to the bereaved! What can be better than that? I believe in her.

10. sandy   April 10, 2015 at 3:13 am

Do we ask u if your a good mom? A legit tax payer? No
    We don’t ask cuz it’s not our bussiness leave her alone I believe
    In what I believe and u believe what u want to believeevil can take all shapes
    And sizes as love and good do. If you believe support her if not don’t.
    Your opinion won’t change mine as mine won’t change yours.

11. Trish   February 5, 2015 at 10:16 am

Weather she is legit or not- I certainly do not want to have HER as my interpreter from my dead loved ones. She makes jokes, doesn’t take this seriously, her whole gig is a mockery of the afterlife- she is a circus act.

12. buzz4t   January 1, 2015 at 5:05 pm

“While it is impossible to say conclusively that Teresa Caputo is not psychic”
    Of course it’s not impossible. She conclusively is not psychic. It is incumbent on her to prove otherwise. However, just looking at the comments above mine, its easy to see how easy it is to fool people.

13. sena   December 12, 2014 at 10:47 am

I thinks she is great

14. Amparo Espinosa   December 9, 2014 at 12:03 pm

I would like to get a reading with Teresa, she looks rely good person, what happening always is going to be envy peoples, and made others feel bad.

15. w s   November 14, 2014 at 4:58 am

Het maakt haar niet uit als je het gelooft of niet gelooft de mensen die er wel in geloven die weten drommels goed als ze een reading krijgen dat ze gegevens heeft of niet vooral als ze ergens binnen komt er zijn er genoeg bij die er niets van wilden weten en na de reading wel mensen die een kind hebben verloren gaan echt niet voor de show mee werken bij sommigen is ze dan zelf helemaal van de wijs

• Lori   November 16, 2014 at 12:00 am

Fake or not – she makes people feel better about their lives & what’s wrong with that?

16. Christina   November 5, 2014 at 7:15 am

People just can’t accept that there are things not known in this world, and they’re always looking for the “answers”. I have no idea whether this woman is genuine or not, but I have encountered true psychics a couple of times in my life and they are wonderful.

17. Benita   October 29, 2014 at 11:29 am

I don’t care if she real or not I like her show and family so keep your head up Teresa.

• mailinmurray1974 @gmail.com   October 30, 2014 at 12:54 pm

I think Teresa great in has did a lot of healing for families. I would love to have a reading with her.she no’s way to much to be putting on

18. Dan   October 22, 2014 at 1:41 pm

The malarkey is that you clowns actually believe this crap, LOL!

• Christina   November 5, 2014 at 7:17 am

Clearly you’ve never experienced magic in your life, Dand, and I would feel sorry for you but you’re also an insensitive jerk. Hmmm, maybe that’s the reason…

• Christina   November 5, 2014 at 7:18 am

Your name isn’t worth getting right.

19. Christina Balsam   October 21, 2014 at 10:34 am

I wish I could get her to come to my town for a reading.

20. LA   October 19, 2014 at 9:30 am

She doesn’t claim to be psychic ….. She’s a medium, she connects With spirits…. He’s an idiot

21. LA   October 19, 2014 at 9:26 am

Why doesn’t this man just go and have Theresa give him a personal reading so he can stop trying to discredit her with out any real proof….

22. starmarie10   October 16, 2014 at 11:33 am

your story is malarky. No solid foundation for your accusations. What a dope.

23. crystal   October 5, 2014 at 11:14 pm

I don’t know if theresa is real or not but I do believe she is, I’ve had a reading before and the woman( not theresa ) told me things she could have not known about . I did not give her or anyone else around any info about me, not my name , not anything . She had me in tears. So I believe with all my heart some people can talk to the dead.

24. Lori   September 29, 2014 at 2:29 am

Whether Theresa is a fake or not, Larry cracks me up! I can see how the internet could make it easy for Theresa to research people she’s going to read, but she seems to leave people with a good feeling & that can be huge when you’re hurting! She seems like a nice lady! I’d LOVE to have her “read” me & see if she could convey what my screwy bunch is saying from beyond the grave, haha.

25. Lynn Smitley   September 29, 2014 at 12:59 am

The thing that comes to my mind about weather she is or is not for real. this is not for me to judge or anyone else to judge. Jesus said let all of you who are sin free cast the first stone.Is is between Teresa & God as to what she does.

26. EG   September 24, 2014 at 5:14 am

All “reality” shows are fake. Who ever came up with the idea to call shows like Long Island Medium a reality show was very smart. It pulls people in thinking the show is all real. These shows are scripted, they do retakes, homework is done ahead of time. People are gullible enough to believe it. Sad

27. Diana   September 23, 2014 at 10:10 pm

Ron Tebo is the only fraud. He should be sued by Theresa Caputo for Slander an ddefamation of character. He probably doesnt believe in God either What a total moronic liser scumbag !!!

• Mary   September 25, 2014 at 10:43 am

So….people who don’t believe in the same God as you are moronic scumbags? That is very Christian of you.

28. Chrystal   September 21, 2014 at 11:12 pm

I agree with Andrew Clinton. Do your investigation by having her “read” you. I believe she has been tested on national television with an MRI of her brain during a reading and the evidence showed marked changes in her brain that are not normal. So do a little more investigation before discounting her. Putting someone down for what they do is not proof of your skills.

29. andrew clinton   September 20, 2014 at 3:10 am

The wife and I have both contacted clairvoyants over the phone and one to one and they have said things that only we could possibly know.I realise that there are fraudsters out there .I am not naive.Why don’t you go see her for yourself then make a judgement.After all your “investigations” you still can’t conclusively say that she is a fraudster.Perhaps we should doubt your credentials as a “private investigator” (?)

30. Cynthia   September 20, 2014 at 12:44 am

I think she’s real she seems that way any how I would love to meet her one day to ask her questions
    of my own about 2 lost family members that’s been bugging me a lot leave her alone and get a life and to her keep up the good work I hope your not fake but only her and god knowl

31. Judy Kay Fielding   September 16, 2014 at 11:57 pm

I think Theresa was born with this gift from GOD !!! She has helped so many people to be able to go on in this tough old world. I hope someday I get to met her. Her shows have blessed me. JUPA

32. nancy   September 14, 2014 at 11:49 pm

I want to believe too, but I do believe that there are people who are blessed with the gift of sight. It’s just so many out there running a game and playing with people feelings, don’t know who is real and who is not.

33. Andy.   September 14, 2014 at 6:28 pm

Why would you take somthing away from people that need it?? Fake or not, looks like everyone is happy at the end of her session.. Nothing wrong with a postive feed back.

Everyone needs a job and Teresa is very good at hers. Move on pal and write a story that means something.

34. Brandon Mclean   September 14, 2014 at 1:52 am

Dumb article. If you are a medium in a group of people especially 100 plus! Think about how many spirits that could be coming through!! Until this stupid writer of this article has their own session with Theresa they need to shut the hell up. She might miss something but you try to communicate with the deceased and see how you do. You really think she would be fake with people who lost children? If so that would be extremely hard to live with yourself if you were. Extremely hard. I doubt as a mother that she could do that. Whats more disgusting is people like yourself tjat think someone could do that. To me your more despicable for thinking such a thing. As long as people feel healed afterwards is what counts. Not your pathetic soul..

• John Middleton   September 14, 2014 at 2:21 am

Dude, she’s a fake.

35. Hardie B. Matthews   September 4, 2014 at 8:41 pm

I’ve always wanted to believe in the paranormal, but the older I become, the more I question the authenticity of mediums; etc.

36. Hols   September 4, 2014 at 1:19 pm

So what if she is a fake? I enjoy the show for the entertainment value of the show, just like I would with any other show on television. At least she isn’t doing the readings naked, beating the snot out of someone or cheating on her husband. For the sake of argument, say that she is a fake and getting paid for it. The only difference between what she does and what politicians do or wealthy business men do is that the method is different, nothing else. And to Kel… if you think those of us who believe in an afterlife are delusional, I personally invite you to come stay in my house for a week. I promise you’ll be delusional too by the time you leave.

• Bryan Levy   September 4, 2014 at 1:20 pm

If she was naked, I’d like it more.

37. Frank   August 31, 2014 at 12:11 am

I don’t know if it’s real or not, but if it makes my wife feel better that is all I care about and you can’t put a price on that.

38. MaryAnn Foley   August 17, 2014 at 12:05 pm

I was disappointed when my request for a private reading- here in Honolulu- after her show in May, but now, I am glad that she did not grant me a private reading. I saved the 175.00. I did not feel like too much of a fool, as there were 1200 people in the audience!
    I stopped watching her TLC show. I am more upset with her children taking part in the
    show- but they certainly benefit monetarily. I was also surprised to hear that her mother is alive and living next door with her father who does appear on the show.

39. Kel   August 11, 2014 at 10:16 pm

We don’t need an ‘expert’ to tell us she’s a phony. Of course it’s all fake. Anyone who believes that people are psychic or can contact the dead is either susceptible because he or she wants to believe (confirmation bias), or delusional. Let’s not even get into the argument about the existence of an afterlife. All too often, people fall prey to cold reading. From what I’ve seen, she just makes general blanket statements that could apply to most people. It’s also a known fact that she often misses on her guesses and they just edit it out.

People should really read up on their critical reasoning skills. These so called ‘psychics’ or ‘mediums’ are gaining a profit by exploiting the emotions of people who have lost loved ones, and even go so far as to claim it’s because they care. It’s sick.

40. ulla   August 2, 2014 at 12:56 pm

At eleven years old I had an experience. My parents didn’t believe me and told me not to worry. everything I had told my parents was things an eleven year old or any child would have no or any knowledge of. Shortly after my prediction came true. At 32 years old I had a reading that was very detailed. In my mind I said “no way” and went about my business and didn’t think more of it. To my surprise and disbelieve the detailed reading came true. I had made the appointment from a payphone and gave a falls name (1994 no caller ID) .
    Its impossible to prove but I think she is very, very real.

41. Andrew Johnson   July 27, 2014 at 12:40 pm

The shoes are a part of the act. FAKE like the rest of the show.She wears them so people think that is a good reason not to leave the first two rows.

42. Lori   July 22, 2014 at 8:15 pm

Apparently those who think she is a fraud hasn’t really seen her show! And, to make money off of her gift…..I think she does a lot of FREE readings from what I seen from her show. And, research how could see research that many people…I don’t see any evidence of any leading questions….some things just come out of the blue. I have had things happen to me that had to have come from the other side…..and until you experience it you probably won’t believe it!

43. Fran   July 20, 2014 at 4:34 pm

I think she is the real deal

44. Donna JK   July 17, 2014 at 6:53 pm

I went to one of her shows. When I got home my dog for 15 minutes was sniffing my clothes like crazy. She mentioned that even if people did not get a reading that your loved one would reach out to you somehow. Well sorry but I had my mom’s picture from when I went to see her three days earlier in my purse, I was driving down the road and out of no where this teenage kid in a bike too small for him rode right in front of me, and he should not have been there, somehow I missed him. I got myself together and looked down and staring up at me was the picture of my mom that had fallen out of my purse. Also found out I happened to have 5% of my brakes left. I found her very fascinating and i believe she is not a fraud. donna

45. Donna   July 15, 2014 at 3:00 pm

I’ve been to one of Theresa shows in Beverly Hills Ca. I’ve been watching Theresa for a few years now and I think she is amazing. I did notice that she kind of stuck to the lower levels during the show. At one time she did make it all the way to the very top tier. My son that was with me mention that the reason she reads the lower levels, are due to the fact that the lower levels paid more for their sets. I think it’s because of her shoes. Look how high they are yikes. She could brake her neck. No matter what is said about Theresa, it’s to be expected that some one is going to talk smack about her. For year I’ve seen them all come and go, but Theresa is totally different. The only thing that could ever change how I feel about Theresa is to hear it from Theresa herself. I’m a total believer until then.

46. teresa   July 15, 2014 at 1:30 pm

in the end who really cares? She is obviously providing something for people that they need and are searching for. Regardless of the method of delivery, she is making people feel better. If people are willing to spend their own funds on such things, what do you care? Also, if you are small-minded enough to really think that no one person is able to feel things better than another, i.e., an empath, then I suggest you seek guidance on the issue. Some of us are more “connected” than others,

47. the greatest wizard psychic to ever live ever   June 27, 2014 at 10:38 am

this is news? Duh she’s faking it. She does cold-readings just like every other fraud (oh i mean psychic) in the world. Plus, she has a reality show? gimme a break, she-like every other fraud like her- consciously takes advantage of vulnerable people and their emotions to make a buck.

48. Carly   June 25, 2014 at 10:21 am

This is a reality TV show played on cable people; you really don’t think there are writers and backstage work done to make this seem even remotely real? This woman’s living in the lap of luxury not because of some “other worldly” gift, but because she was spunky enough to hop on the TLC lame-show band wagon.

49. Kristine Arvotti   June 23, 2014 at 6:10 pm

No way…I don’t believe it. I was read by her 3 times & she was extremely accurate with the things she told me! I think she’s the real thing!!!

50. Jane   June 23, 2014 at 12:11 pm

looks like her 15 minutes are about up…

51. Geoff Offermann   June 16, 2014 at 7:12 pm

The term medium is apt. They are neither rare nor well done.

52. Ryan Sizz   June 16, 2014 at 7:05 am

Saw her do a live reading.. It’s so fake.

53. Bobbie Gallo   June 15, 2014 at 11:21 am

Ron Tebo real name must be Thomas, I am not a doubter, I am a believer and Teresa Caputo should just walk away and ignore you. You are the fake not Teresa. Stop trying to make money on her coat tails. , You lose!

54. knowitallnanna   June 15, 2014 at 7:13 am

Cameron Blake McDaniel needs to find something else to do. There are other comment sections, in other articles, that he can police for grammatical errors, punctuation snafus and run on sentence nightmares. You, sir, are annoying. You are also contributing absolutely nothing to the conversation.

55. kelly   June 15, 2014 at 6:13 am

She gives people closure. Fraud or not, some people need it. I’ve seen some of her shows on TV and she’s helping people move on. Some think the death was their fault or some weren’t able to say goodbye and the guilt is too much. She’s helping either way.

56. Chantel   June 15, 2014 at 3:43 am

Unless the entire show is fraud and every single person is in on it, I have a hard time believing she isn’t a medium. She walks into random stores and grabs people up to tell them their grandma is there saying something that only the person knows. I don’t believe all of them are real, I have seen some shady ones. But I really think she is real.

57. Jc   June 14, 2014 at 12:03 pm

I truly hope for the children she has read for that in the troubled worlds and all that they have gone through that she wouldn’t lie to them.

58. Lisa Beasley   June 14, 2014 at 8:43 am

Read his sources… enough said.

59. DB   June 13, 2014 at 5:15 pm

This comments section makes me weep for humanity…

60. The Zottoli's   June 13, 2014 at 1:42 pm

Amazing that she could remember all of that info on all of those people?

61. Gabby   June 13, 2014 at 11:43 am

I agree with Kris. I recently went into a reading with a local medium with a friend. My mother in -law had just past away and I told my friend that I wasn’t going to say anything at my reading and see if she picked up on it. Within, five minutes of my reading she mentioned my mother in-law. My girlfriend was shocked. I’m a believer.

62. Chris   June 13, 2014 at 9:39 am

I totally disagree. I believe in Theresa 100%!!! Private Detectives always look for Crap in the real truth!! This guy is a skeptic…. Go get a reading then tell us what you think.

63. Kimberly Araujo   June 13, 2014 at 9:07 am

I don’t believe this. This is for all the non believers. You can’t tell me she brakes into people’s homes and knows where that person keeps things and I could debate this on other points all day long! Wow investigated her for a year? Who’s money paid for that? Are you being honest, should we go by your word??

64. Kris   June 13, 2014 at 7:17 am

I’ve had experience with mediums who never ask me anything are dead on. Those who have had readings done will know if it’s real or not. You can’t fake a personality or personal details that can’t be discovered through the internet or eavesdropping.

65. Brandy McGeehen   June 13, 2014 at 5:18 am

There is no way, she gets too many details right. Nobody could guess all that, I believe she does have the gift.

66. Eileen   June 13, 2014 at 4:50 am

You’re article is right in one respect…she is not a physic she is a Medium. A cousin of mine whose neighbor was to attend a baby shower couldn’t get her car started. My cousin offered her a ride to the baby shower where Theresa was hired to do readings. The Hostess of the baby shower asked if my cousin would stay since she would have to drive the neighbor home. To make a long story short my cousin was read by Theresa and was spot on. There is no way my cousin was investigated prior to because she was never suppose to attend in the first place. Unless the investigator for Theresa investigates people neighbors there is no way Theresa could have known anything about my cousin. If the person who did the investiagtions for this article would like to confirm this with my cousin I will be more then happy to give him her information. You should really stop trying to trash peoples lives and rip them apart without the all the facts and information.

67. Greg   June 13, 2014 at 12:25 am

So she claims to be psychic …. and is a fraud …. o_O
    And it needed a private detective to find out.
    … that she actually is a fraud amongst ALL THE REAL PSYCHICS.

That so much fullfills the prejudice, Europeans have about Americans.

@Debra: Nope, its not that easy. She makes pretty much money out of the pain of other people by telling lies.
    Thats nearly like telling the parents of a deathly ill child, that you have a miraculous medicin, that will cure the child, taking a thousand dollars, and saying afterwards: Well, I know it doesn’t work, but there was nothing to help this child. At least I have given them hope, so its ok I lied to them. … they didn’t have to pay after all.

68. Debra   June 12, 2014 at 6:49 pm

Who is she hurting ! Whatever she is Psychic/Medium she has made many people feel at peace with losing someone …it’s very simple… Don’t watch her show or pay to see her…

69. Erin   June 12, 2014 at 5:52 pm

I always thought she was a fraud. I mean come on. They have a “edit” button in television for a reason. It’s for the mess ups, mistakes and misses. People don’t get to see what happens when the record button isn’t on. Only the finished product..the perfect reading..every single time! I forgot which talk show it was, but it was a show on psychics and mediums. They had a separate room full of people and a complete amateur went in and was doing a “cold read” saying he was picking up on a sister that was murdered and other things and this woman confirmed that everything he said was true and “how could he possibly know that??” and then after he admitted he didn’t have a vision or “see” any of those things. It’s a real shame because mediums are making money off people’s grief and raw emotions.

70. chad W   June 12, 2014 at 3:09 pm

Call Long Island Private Investigator LLC

631-619-LIPI or 516-395-6101

71. Christie Pepe   June 12, 2014 at 12:56 pm

She is a Medium not a psychic. So, whoever wrote this article is really not trustworthy to me since they can’t get that simple fact straight 🙂

72. Lorinn   June 12, 2014 at 11:42 am

Bull she’s the real deal and I don’t care who says otherwise!

73. RealityTvScandals (@MissAmiaSays)   June 12, 2014 at 8:33 am

Theresa claims to be a medium – not a psychic.
    I did allot of research. You can click my name or go to realitytvscandals(dot)com and see.
    What I found troubling was her “fan club” that members have to pay to be in. They get nothing.

74. RealityTvScandals (@MissAmiaSays   June 12, 2014 at 8:31 am

Theresa claims to be a medium – not a psychic.

75. Erik Bundy   June 12, 2014 at 5:59 am

Is this site like the Onion. I mean what else but a fraud could you be if you pretend to be a Medium. There is no such thing has a non-fraudulent medium. The biggest fraud here is the video attach to thew article that seems to be a video related to the article but is only a publicity.

76. amber   June 12, 2014 at 5:50 am

I love teresa and I’ll never believe this bs ! Lol ♡

77. Kathleen Roberts   June 11, 2014 at 10:30 pm

I watch her show all the time. I have never seen her in person but she was on Dr, Oz’s show (twice) and they hooked up electrodes to her brain to see if the brain waves changed when she did a reading and it did. I do not believe she is a fake because I do believe a person’s energy is still around us after they die, Energy is not created nor destroyed, it just changes form.

78. Christian   June 11, 2014 at 9:07 pm

Please read this article. Educate yourselves! http://www.wired.com/2012/04/opinion_randilimedium0409/

79. Natalie Coffee   June 11, 2014 at 7:59 pm

I Believe in her ,there is no way she’s a fake!
    You’re just Trying to stur up a so called investigation on her
    So you can get ratings and attention. Everyone know’s how
    the game is played.
    Just leave her alone and let her continue to do her job!

80. nikki   June 11, 2014 at 7:05 pm

I. Believe in her and I don’t think at all she is a fake. Get a life people

81. Jackie talley   June 11, 2014 at 6:28 pm

She is not a fraud. I went to one of her shoes and was disappointed to see the amount of people there. My tickets were gifts , so she had no idea who I wanted to hear from. She started by asking, “Who had the mother and sister that were murdered by their husband?” I raised my hand (in the nose bleed section) as well as another women on the floor. Theresa started to read the other women but then again asked the same question. The person shd was looking for was me. My best friend and her daughter were both murdered at different times by different men. She told me things no one would have known. Like I have a blanket that belongs to my friend and several other things. She is not a fraud. People are just jerks. They do not believe in anything but themselves.

82. Ashley Waterstradt   June 11, 2014 at 5:06 pm

Cj, your spelling shocks me. Ha. She’s not psychic, that’s pretty obvious. But people are just as silly for believing in a great many things.

83. Nancy   June 11, 2014 at 5:03 pm

I believe her 100 percent !! if you don’t watch the show .

84. Christian   June 11, 2014 at 4:43 pm

They should change the title of this article to: Long Island Medium Obviously Big Time Fraud.

85. Gretchen   June 11, 2014 at 3:50 pm

She has stated in many of her shows and has shown her ledger that she only has first names and phone numbers. Looking up a background by using just a first name is like looking for a needle in a haystack, and looking it up by phone number is not entirely easy. What does it matter anyway? Being a Medium isn’t an exact science, maybe how she interprets the information from spirit gets a little misconstrued. Even the dead are human. We all make mistakes. Some people believe in god, others spirits. TLC is going to back her in this. People have doubted mediums forever now.

• anon   June 11, 2014 at 4:13 pm

Yes, because she certainly wouldn’t lie about it to keep receiving buckets of cash from TLC.

86. pw   June 11, 2014 at 3:29 pm

Cj, it isn’t foolish for people to have believed her. I guess when you feel like an idiot for believing her yourself its easier to act like you never did. People simply look for answers to questions anyway they can. Trusting in someone’s psychic abilities is one of them. Shame on them for betraying people’s trust and Shane on you for being a immature jerk about it.

87. Chis   June 11, 2014 at 2:29 pm

Lol at anyone actually thought she was psychic?

88. Bp   June 11, 2014 at 1:06 pm

Cj, you believe in heaven… Your just as bad as people who believe in psychics.

Anyway, this is no surprise and not even print worthy.

• Samantha   June 11, 2014 at 7:55 pm

Who are you to judge someone’s beliefs! Just because there not yours doesn’t make it right to tell someone heaven isn’t real. You don’t have proof just like other don’t have proof it is.

89. Cj   June 11, 2014 at 10:52 am

You people are just ignorant believing she is taking to people who are supposedly in heaven. So you would rather believe instead of being with God and in peace there here talking to this lady. Wow the foolish naive of some of you people shock me.

90. Debby   June 11, 2014 at 9:33 am

Blanketly saying that NOONE can speak to the dead is very close-minded in my opinion. I have many friends who can. They have nothing to prove. I like Teresa. I haven’t yet seen her, but I think she is a nice woman, and I do believe her. There are some phonies out there, but the real ones shouldn’t have to pay for the other’s fraud.

91. rosalie Gonzalez   June 11, 2014 at 9:06 am

I dont think Teresa Teresa Fans will not believe she is fraud..it is just the non believers making up stories…

92. Janky   June 11, 2014 at 8:54 am

Anyone that thinks psychics are telling the truth are letting themselves be duped. No one can commune with the dead. No one.

93. Michelle   June 11, 2014 at 8:43 am

I don’t believe it I saw her live and I seemed very real

94. Marie   June 11, 2014 at 8:36 am

I personally witnessed Teresa giving my dear friend a reading and there is no way in hell she could have known such personal information. The tickets were last minute, so no time to prep, we walked in right as it was going to start, so no conversations for eavesdroppers. There was no way she could have guess such personal informaton. She was and is wonderful!!! Go find something else to do cause your wrong here!

95. Lamont   June 11, 2014 at 7:52 am

Miss Cleo got in trouble with the FTC because she was selling a product on TV. This woman has an “entertainment” show. Big difference.

96. Christine   June 11, 2014 at 6:21 am

It’s a show. If it brings closure to people who have lost a loved one that’s a gift. Stop wasting your journalism skills on things like this and go find a cure for cancer.

• Cameron Blake McDaniel   June 11, 2014 at 11:00 pm

That is not how cancer research works.

97. Defcon5ive   June 11, 2014 at 5:07 am

All mediums are not psychics. If that were the case ahe would introduce herself as a psychic and not a medium. She cannot tell the future which is what psychics want you to believe. Mediums are a channel for the deceased to be heard once more. Theres only one i can think of that claimed they did both and that was Slyvia Browne who was also a fraud

98. Melissa's Psychic   June 11, 2014 at 4:16 am

Melissa, THAT’S NOT REAL.

How do I know? Maybe I’m psychic. What? You don’t believe that I could be psychic? I knew that.

99. Nick E.   June 10, 2014 at 8:54 pm

There are no such things as psychic abilities. They are ALL frauds. Anyone who believes otherwise is a moron.

• Cameron Blake McDaniel   June 11, 2014 at 11:02 pm

*is no such thing*

100. Courtney Lynn   June 10, 2014 at 8:32 pm

There is no such thing as psychics or mediums.

101. Dorene Molleur   June 10, 2014 at 6:26 pm

He needs to get a life and apparently he has nothing else to do beside spread lies she is real and I believe that so get a real job buddy and leave people alone

• Courtney Lynn   June 10, 2014 at 8:33 pm

Mediums and psychics are not real. They are all fakes. If you believe they are real then I do not feel sorry for you when they take your money.

• Melissa   June 10, 2014 at 9:38 pm

Its one of those things that if you do not believe in them, it can’t happen to you. You have to get your head out of the gutter and accept it for what it is. Psychics and mediums are the same thing first off, all mediums are “psychics” and a lot of people make it to seem what we typically picture a psychic is foretelling the future, whereas Theresa can speak with the deceased, and until you personally have an interaction with a medium/psychic or a ghost/spirit you will never believe. And I’ve been to one of her “tours” and my friend I was with got “read” and her grandmother came through. We did not pay extra to tell Theresa information prior, we did not get paid to give information prior, nor do we have any prior relations with Theresa… so you tell me if thats not real.

• Cameron Blake McDaniel   June 11, 2014 at 11:16 pm

Run-on Sentences. Suck it education!

102. susannj30   June 10, 2014 at 4:36 pm

I think she’s the real deal….everyone has psychic ability..did the investigator read her book..she had it as a child..she heard spirits..you can’t make that up..she put her kids thru school from the show and remodeled her house..where she lives next door to her parents..if she had a big head why stay in her average size home and not move to a mansion..?is any psychic 100% of course not..

• Cameron Blake McDaniel   June 11, 2014 at 11:23 pm

You can easily make that up. J.K. Rowling wrote the Harry Potter books from scratch, so imagine what someone with little to no talent could do.

103. Maria Seminara   June 10, 2014 at 4:28 pm

Well, I don’t know about Theresa Caputo, but I know for a fact that John Edward made me sign a contract that I will NOT. Talk about my deceased relatives while on line or in the arena. He also did not know my name or number because I used someone else’s ticket, AND he read me, knowing about a fire on a farm in the mountains where animals died and the farmer was an amputee… Which happened to be true … When I was 12 … In Europe… 40 years ago! THAT could not be researched , nor could it have been a lucky guess. Also at all of his shows, there was not ONE miss, and nothing was general either, he comes out with unique messages at all times. VERY hard to disprove him. I believe!

• Cameron Blake McDaniel   June 11, 2014 at 11:26 pm

I am a believer. It is hard to dispute Final Cut Pro.

104. L D   June 10, 2014 at 2:37 pm

People are surprised she’s not really psychic? I’m surprised people are that gullible.

105. saskkat   June 10, 2014 at 10:20 am

Though I have never been to any of her shows, A long time ago, I felt she was a fraud. As far as I am concerned she is a loud mouth phoney. That has actually got caught up in her own self importance. It makes me sad to think of all the people’s money and hopes she has squandered. On her show, she would get to excited when she actually got (guessed) something correctly, more so than the one that was getting read. It was then that I
    started to suspect she was a fraud. I no longer watch any of her shows any more.

106. Pattie Wilson Caddell   June 10, 2014 at 8:14 am

I’ve been to two shows at different locations and was not impressed with her. Before that I watched everyone of her shows. In one show I attended, she kept guessing and guessing and was wrong. Never got it right. I think some of the info she had been fed was wrong. Neither show did she move around much. I no longer watch her shows. Very disappointed.

107. Evelyn Rody   June 10, 2014 at 8:10 am

My goodness. People if you like the show watch it if you dont just change the channel. Real or fake its an awesome show.

• Cameron Blake McDaniel   June 11, 2014 at 11:30 pm

Was your first husband The Apostrophe?

108. Michelle   June 10, 2014 at 5:51 am

I’ve been to Teresa’s show and she didn’t stay on the first floor. She went up and down a couple if times. There will always be non believers….

• Cameron Blake McDaniel   June 11, 2014 at 11:35 pm

I figured her viewers would expect her to know how to performf as a “medium” right? An up-and-down is usually how one would convert the non-believers, am I right?

109. Elginet Photos   June 10, 2014 at 5:00 am

That’s his personal opinion. This is more about Ron Tebo’s possible 15 minutes of fame than it is about Theresa Caputo. She’s just the victim this week of the psychic nazi.

• Cameron Blake McDaniel   June 11, 2014 at 11:37 pm

Thank the Lord Baby Jesus Christ it is only the one Psychic Nazi. Imagine how that war would have gone.

110. Alissa   June 9, 2014 at 8:47 pm

Then how does she walk up to random strangers and read them?

• Cameron Blake McDaniel   June 11, 2014 at 11:38 pm

Future world leader here, folks.

• EaglesQuestions   September 21, 2014 at 3:06 pm

How DOES she? I googled for this and am disappointed that yours was the only “answer” here.

111. sarah   June 9, 2014 at 8:06 pm

Did you check RON TEBO’S BACKGROUND? GOOGLE HIS NAME OR better yet GOOGLE SCIFAKE.

• Cameron Blake McDaniel   June 11, 2014 at 11:39 pm

You may, or may not, have accidentally pressed the CAPS LOCK key SARAH.

112. Jesus   June 9, 2014 at 6:32 pm

Well I’m a firm believer in the truth and of course she is a fraud it’s so obvious if she was a real psychic she wouldn’t try to profit from other’s misery and pain I’m sorry to break it to all of you but that’s all she does she doesn’t care about giving closure but getting paid instead if she didn’t get paid for it she wouldn’t do it at all but she only cares of herself no one else.

113. Daniel Crimmins   June 9, 2014 at 5:51 pm

This is the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard of. Of course she’s a fraud. All psychics are frauds.

114. Skyler   June 9, 2014 at 3:46 pm

This is so stupid! I’m sorry but how does Theresa know what the person just did alone?? I Remember an episode where she was at a mattress store and asked if a certain person died. He said that was his wife’s relative. So he brought her over. Theresa talked about stuff NOBODY. Knew…she even asked if they were looking at photographs and they were astonished. They just looked at photographs the other day. She also asked if they seen a letter and she told the details. It was on point..The couple were also alone the other day they did this..they told her she was absolutely right. And yes, Theresa does bring closure, peace, and happiness for people. She is NOT fake! There is lots of evidence that she’s real! Don’t believe the skeptics out there! They are too into reality…there’s always miracles…and there’s always spiritual mysterys about the universe. Trust your intuition…

• Jim   June 9, 2014 at 5:41 pm

100 bucks says those pictures were posted on Facebook.

• John   June 9, 2014 at 6:41 pm

“They are too into reality”!?!?! That’s possible? To be “too into reality”? So you admit then that psychic power is not part of reality. I don’t think that’s probably what you meant to say.

• Cameron Blake McDaniel   June 11, 2014 at 11:43 pm

“It was on point.” Unlike your GED, which was on your mother’s wallet.

115. Shannon   June 9, 2014 at 2:29 pm

She helps people find closure, peace and happiness…….however she does it, I would consider it a blessing not fraud.

116. jamie2462   June 9, 2014 at 11:40 am

ya i watched Tebo’s rehashin of the ellen show… he said No one else turned there head, well 2 of the women in both of the rows behind the 2 turned their head..just wondering, but was he there and saw what they were staring at?? Because they look like they’re looking at something to the front left of the stage to me…all six of them…unless the 4 laides behind the guys were in on it too? Some people just want to hate. I have an idea…do somehing positive..anything instead. Oh and this was SUCH an original article.. *rolls eyes* – didn’t see all this with Sylvia Browne either. 😛 people. sheesh. Either believe it or not, but go find something worth writing about maybe. 😛

• Cameron Blake McDaniel   June 11, 2014 at 11:49 pm

I have an idea; do something positive, like take a few college-level English courses. Your local community college should have a remedial program for you.

117. Shari   June 9, 2014 at 7:29 am

I think if she gives people closure and comfort that is not fake. These people have had extreme hardships in their life and nothing can bring their loved ones back so peace is a big deal to them. I love the show!

• Shay   June 9, 2014 at 11:30 am

Agreed!

• Jim   June 9, 2014 at 5:45 pm

Is it ok if said closure is nothing more than lies though?

• Cameron Blake McDaniel   June 11, 2014 at 11:50 pm

#FirstWorldClosure

118. Susan   June 9, 2014 at 4:21 am

You may want to use spell check, or have a proof reader check your work before its printed.. How ironic… You are calling Teresa a fake, & you are a writer who can’t write!!

• Jackie   June 10, 2014 at 8:31 am

Was thinking the exact same thing myself!! Guy can’t even spell!

• Cameron Blake McDaniel   June 11, 2014 at 11:58 pm

Its = the possessive form of it. As in, “Only an idiot would incorrectly use “its” in the same post as ironic without comprehending said post’s actual irony.”

119. K   June 8, 2014 at 7:46 pm

SaMe thing happen when we saw her in Dec in Westbury….stuck only to her VIP section and admittedly by 4 ppl she had read them previously….she got pissed, making her look bad

• Sue   June 8, 2014 at 7:49 pm

Can you rewrite that in English, please?

120. Lucille   June 8, 2014 at 7:39 pm

This is absolutely false Teresa read for me at my home with 9 people there before she was even famous and she said things that no one in a millions years could ever know and come up with she was awesome and right on target with each one of us So don’t believe this crap !!!!!!!!!! She is the real deal if your a skeptic believe as you want but I know for a fact she is the Real deal !!!!!!!!!!! I love Teresa Caputo !!!!

• Cameron Blake McDaniel   June 12, 2014 at 12:02 am

Trust me, I speak for most levelheaded people when I say I don’t believe this crap.

121. A. E.   June 8, 2014 at 12:51 pm

There is a need for that question mark in the article title? Really?

There is no such thing as a “medium” who is not a fraud.

122. Joebee   June 8, 2014 at 12:02 pm

Its TOTAL BS. There are no such things as REAL psychics. ANYONE can do what she does. Take a look at this video where a MIND reader tells people whats going on in their lives with AMAZING detail. Stuff like this is what she likely does.

• Karen   June 8, 2014 at 1:59 pm

thats ridiculous Teresa doesnt even know the peoples names that she reads on the street in grocery stores wherever she happens to be

• Cameron Blake McDaniel   June 12, 2014 at 12:03 am

I tried reading on the street, but I was quickly struck by a car.

123. kennbeck   June 8, 2014 at 11:05 am

Didn’t she see this investigation coming?

124. butterflyblue85   June 8, 2014 at 11:01 am

Anyone who profits from people’s grief like she does should be ashamed of themselves, pretending to have conversations with people’s loved ones is just taking things way too far.

• Jackie   June 10, 2014 at 8:34 am

Never saw her collect a penny from the strangers she’s run into on the street.

• Cameron Blake McDaniel   June 12, 2014 at 12:04 am

I’m sure her insurance company begs to differ.

125. Steve   June 8, 2014 at 10:17 am

A medium is a fraud??? Weird, who would have thought?

126. holly   June 8, 2014 at 10:10 am

YOU ARE wroung she is real all u wants to do is ruin someone life to make money get a life or go by one loser

• Cameron Blake McDaniel   June 12, 2014 at 12:05 am

HOT TAKE!

127. Ivy Francis   June 8, 2014 at 10:08 am

Never any doubt for me that she is a fraud….bottom line is MONEY, MONEY ,MONEY!!!!

128. geoff   June 7, 2014 at 8:37 pm

Isn’t “fake psychic” kind of redundant?

129. Chas   June 7, 2014 at 7:29 pm

And are psychics real? Harry Houdini already did the heavy lifting and settled this 100 years ago. A well trained psychic taking on a person desperate to contact a loved one is the same as a professional boxer taking on a senior citizen. You might think your flavor is the best but it still all comes from the same pile of BS.

130. Chas   June 7, 2014 at 7:06 pm

She feeds on insecurities?! I’m curious how many oppose her yet believe in talking snakes and men living in the belly of a “great fish”. She is no different than your local pastor… Only thing that separates them is that the pastor works out of an outdated manual.

131. Rob   June 7, 2014 at 5:02 pm

I CANNOT BELIEVE THAT PEOPLE ACTUALLY THINK THAT THIS FRAUD IS THE REAL DEAL!! PEOPLE, ARE YOU REALLY THAT NAIVE?

132. Rosemary eaves   June 7, 2014 at 4:27 pm

Teresa does a great job,I notice watching her that her face expression changes and details that she is getting from the spirits , she is not making this up she is seeing and talking to them. They are directing her

• Cameron Blake McDaniel   June 12, 2014 at 12:07 am

…straight to the asylum.

133. Lisa   June 7, 2014 at 3:44 pm

ditto Nikole!!!!!!!!!!! opinions are like as$holes, everyone has one!!! and if you don’t like Teresa, GET OFF THIS SITE AND KEEP YOUR COMMENTS TO YOUR SELF!!!!!!

• Jason   June 9, 2014 at 5:58 am

You keep your comments to yourself Lisa. This story criticizes a fake and you can only come up with bs like “and if you don’t like Teresa, GET OFF THIS SITE AND KEEP YOUR COMMENTS TO YOUR SELF!!!!!!” If YOU don’t like people commenting on this woman’s fakery and taking money from grieving people then you should go back under the rock you crawled from under. If you can’t handle opinions different from yours, too bad. Grow up or shut up.

134. Jason   June 7, 2014 at 3:30 pm

All psychics are phony there is no such thing as a real psychics they are all a bunch of phonys using other people’s pain to make a dollar put that fake in jail.

135. rhuth cooper   June 7, 2014 at 2:51 pm

I HAPPEN TO BELIEVE GOD GIVES PEOPLE GIFTS AND IF U DO NOT UNDERSTAND THE SPIRIT WORLD THEN U MIGHT THINK THIS I HAPPEN TO BE A PSYCHIC/MEDIUM HAVE BEEN DOING SPIRITUAL WORK FOR OVER 30YRS AND RELATE A LOT WITH THERESA I DO NOT FEEL SHE IS PHONY

• magictrickshirts   June 7, 2014 at 4:19 pm

Using ALL CAPS implies yelling and very strong feelings behind what you’re typing. You must be working very hard to be convincing. Just who are you trying to convince. I think it’s yourself.

• Jason   June 9, 2014 at 6:19 am

ANOTHER SELF PROMOTING FAKE! YOU SCARED OF THE COPS THROWING YOUR SORRY REAR IN JAIL ARE YOU? THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO BELIEVE IN YOUR BS ARE DESPERATE OR STUPID… I GUESS THERE ARE PLENTY OF SUCKERS OUT THERE READY AND WILLING THROW CASH AT FAKES LIKE YOU!

• Cameron Blake McDaniel   June 12, 2014 at 12:10 am

Helpful Guide.

136. Aaron   June 7, 2014 at 1:33 pm

in other news, Clorox brand bleach was determined to be bad to drink

137. harrisongreenbaum   June 7, 2014 at 1:15 pm

I’ve been saying that she was a fraud for a very long time. Here’s a video of me demonstrating her “techniques” in Times Square to unsuspecting strangers – you won’t believe how easy it is to fool them:

138. Audrey Ansell   June 7, 2014 at 1:15 pm

Bryan, Have you ever lost anyone close to you? I don’t think so or you would not negate how powerful it can be to be comforted that they are alright and still with you

139. brenda markus   June 7, 2014 at 10:09 am

I live in Ontario and my son committed suicide last year, I reached out and wrote her and all she had to do was respond to me, or the writers, or her agent, anything. She could have lied to me and made me feel better, she could of just responded and told me what I wanted to hear. Guess I wasnt pre- rehearsed, nor did she get paid for it. Yeah it hurts me because I reached out to her. A mom that lossed her son and just wanted validation as she calls it. 🙁 I don’t need anyone to tell me that my son is okay I know he is. I believe in my God, I was stupid to reach out to someone like her. Maybe she is a fraud, maybe she isn’t, but what she is, is ignorant and money hungry in my opinion. So in true fashion of my true Ontarian roots, FUCK YOU Caputo. 🙂 there, now I feel validated

• Karen   June 8, 2014 at 2:14 pm

Very Sorry for your loss but your being very selfish and rude to be saying things like that to someone who probably never even caught a glimpse of your letter…. do you realize how many people lose children and loved ones and write her on a daily basis for strength or comfort in the situation. I really dont know the pain of losing a child and would never want to Im sure its unimaginable BUT in all fairness I think your being unreasonable by calling her money hungry and ignorant. Her fees are so reasonable that calling her that is unjustified. Again sorry for your loss and I completely understand your frustration but think that you are directing it at the wrong person

140. Fay Lind   June 7, 2014 at 10:01 am

100% Real deal! I sat 2nd row at her Beverly Hills engagement and was blown away. She reminded me of things I had even forgotten about my mother. She gave me a message from my mom that contained information she could have never known and I didn’t give her any leading information what so ever. Not a single person spoke to me besides the people I came with before or during the show. I did not purchase my ticket myself, my friend that took me as a guest did.
    I sat right next to my friends daughter who was wearing the earrings of her grandmother. Earlier in the day my friend had got them out and gave them to her to wear. As soon as Teresa was done speaking to me she looked around me and said “who’s wearing their grandmothers earings”. Of course my friends daughter gasped and grabbed her ears. She went on to say, without any lead, “know that your grandmothers spirit was there with you when your mom gave you the earings this afternoon”. It was bone chilling and without a shadow of doubt I am convinced she is real.
    Question to the writer: Have you ever had any person experience with this woman? Have you even been in her physical presence? I would bet the answer is NO. Until you have some concrete FACTS, you should keep your ill-advice to your self.

• Karen   June 8, 2014 at 2:18 pm

THERE YOU GO FAY WELL SAID. I cannot stand that these skeptics base their facts on some of the frauds that are around trying to steal money off people. It’s so prejudice to put all psychics into the same category.

141. Sandy   June 7, 2014 at 9:05 am

I won’t believe what this article says not because I’m a huge die hard fan of Theresa Caputo, but because if you’re going to write an article claiming that someone is a fraud and you have “factual information”, make sure you reread your article and check for typos. The minute I see more than one, I won’t believe the entire article.

142. brad   June 7, 2014 at 8:00 am

She said she talked to the dead which is a medium not a psychic

143. Nikole   June 7, 2014 at 7:15 am

She never claimed to be a psychic as$hole. She is a medium. Shame on you for writing such trash. You’re the fraud.

144. shyla   June 7, 2014 at 5:56 am

The show may be about her “powers” but it’s still a good show. She looks like she has a great family. And enjoys her life. I mostly watch this show because she and her family are funny. A high maitnece mom trying different things with her family is always funny.
    But whateves.

To each their own.

145. Michelle   June 7, 2014 at 4:00 am

I don’t believe this for a minute….

• Karen   June 8, 2014 at 2:19 pm

perhaps you should open up your mind thats how you become educated Michelle

146. Mistress of Citrus (@Mistress_Citrus)   June 6, 2014 at 11:59 pm

Bryan Levy…spell check and proofreading are your friends. “Edward, who admitted to using tricks to appear psychic in a Dateline NBC episode.” is NOT a sentence. “Te audience…” Seriously?

147. JD Stewart   June 6, 2014 at 4:41 pm

A woman who claims to have psychic powers is a FRAUD?? Dang, what are the odds? Just more proof that the idiotic American public will believe *anything*.

• Karen   June 8, 2014 at 2:20 pm

i feel sorry for you

148. Tim Cadell   June 6, 2014 at 2:43 pm

149. Lisa   June 6, 2014 at 2:35 pm

where’s my comment? agree with katelyn, thankyou

• Bryan Levy   June 6, 2014 at 2:49 pm

Lisa, this is the first comment I’ve seen from you all day. But, you probably shouldn’t brag about agreeing with Katelyn.

150. Copernica7   June 6, 2014 at 2:00 pm

a person pretending to have psychic powers but doesn’t? so, every ‘psychic’ ever? Every physic that takes money should be charged with fraud. If you think otherwise, show me the science.

• Karen   June 8, 2014 at 2:22 pm

hahahahaha Are you serious? Your looking for a science in this? There is no science in dying and communicating with loved ones??? And she isnt professing to be a Scientist!!!

151. Michael Schultheiss   June 6, 2014 at 1:55 pm

Excellent article, Bryan! Thank you for this critical look at a professing psychic. People like Caputo are frauds and shysters, and they deserve to be called out accordingly.

152. george w   June 6, 2014 at 1:38 pm

i always knew it that she was a con.

153. MICHELLE   June 6, 2014 at 1:23 pm

does this private investgator not have a life who cares if shes making people feel better about something sad or tramatic whats the harm in letting someone know that thier loved one is ok REALLY GUY MUST NOT BE DOING GOOD IN THE PI BUSINESS SO HE HAS TO SPEND YEAR???? INVESTIGATING HER GET A REAL LIFE AND LEAVE PPL ALONE TRY INVESTGATING SOMETHING THAT REALLY HARMS PPL!!!!!

• Bryan Levy   June 6, 2014 at 1:26 pm

You’ve certainly convinced me.

• Michael Schultheiss   June 6, 2014 at 1:57 pm

Is it not a funny thing that some people care so little for the truth that they will loudly defend those who sell them comforting lies?

• george w   June 6, 2014 at 1:39 pm

it don’t take a genius to see she’s a con.

154. Marilyn   June 6, 2014 at 12:25 pm

What do you expect from Discovery Networks?

• Bryan Levy   June 6, 2014 at 12:30 pm

MOAR MERMAIDS!!!!!1!!!ONE

155. Ronald James Padova   June 6, 2014 at 12:14 pm

Why come she don’t win the lotto every week? LOL. She and Dione Warwick have combined to pick 0 Superbowl winners over the last 40 years.

• Sue   June 6, 2014 at 12:16 pm

Why come?

• Katelyn   June 6, 2014 at 12:20 pm

Shes not a fortune teller…. Personally knowing people who speak to spirits, their there to tell us something whether its for healing or advice not knowing the future.

156. Katelyn   June 6, 2014 at 12:02 pm

This is ridiculous. When people don’t believe something and want to make others know this something isn’t real, this happens. I’ve watched many of her shows and there’s a lot you can’t just “cold read”. I agree with Christine, even if you believe it’s fraud, shes healed many people.

• Bryan Levy   June 6, 2014 at 12:11 pm

You’re right, cold reading is just one of her tools. Her staff will also pre-interview people as well. I also disagree with the notion of healing. It is hard to live life without our loved ones. It takes faith, introspection, and hard work to get through the grief process. I think letting some charlatan wave away that process is a disservice to ourselves.

• karen   June 6, 2014 at 5:19 pm

SOOOOO what your saying is that we have to grieve alike? The people that she reads for are still grieving the loss of their loved one, what your saying makes no sense and is silly. The only thing shes comforting with is that her loved ones are still around her( WHICH I BEG YOU TO PROVE IS UNTRUE) ANDDDDD that they are doing fine in the after life Now tell me just how Bryan this a disservice to anyone? Are you God? Can you, like I said earlier, scientifically prove that there is no afterlife? When you can prove that there isnt then you may be on to something UNTIL THEN YOUR DOING PEOPLE A DISSERVICE by telling them something they find comfort in IS UNTRUE!!!!!

157. Christine   June 6, 2014 at 11:35 am

No matter if it is fraud or not, she touches people in a way that others cant. She has the power to actually heal. Be it fake or not, she comforts people and brings them peace. And That my friend, is priceless.

• Bryan Levy   June 6, 2014 at 11:38 am

What do you mean by the power to actually heal, Christine? And if it is false comfort, is it actually comfort? I don’t think so. Also, I hope that my dead relatives are doing something way more interesting with their time than watching my boring self.

• karen   June 6, 2014 at 2:30 pm

BEAUTIFULLY SAID CHRISTINE!!

• karen   June 6, 2014 at 5:24 pm

Well said Christine. I agree completely Death is so final and if people who lose children or anyone for that matter can find a little peace of mind in what she tells them so be it. Some people love to upset the apple cart

158. Chris   June 6, 2014 at 11:34 am

This comment thread is hilarious! I believe some people have the gift but I agree this woman does not. The point of providing personal information in advance is a valid one. Why would that be important to a true medium?

• Bryan Levy   June 6, 2014 at 11:41 am

Chris, what equals a true medium, and how would you prove it?

159. Sue   June 6, 2014 at 10:15 am

I happen to know Theresa and her family and she is not a fraud.

• Bryan Levy   June 6, 2014 at 11:38 am

I happen to not believe you.

• Sue   June 6, 2014 at 11:51 am

Whatever.

• Bryan Levy   June 6, 2014 at 11:52 am

That proves it!

160. Rebecca Savastio   June 6, 2014 at 9:58 am

Outstanding article Bryan! Cold reading is a skill, but just that–a skill. She’s very good at it as is John Edwards. She utilizes what’s called “confirmation bias” to her advantage; that’s when people look for signs that confirm what they want to be true or what they believe is true. This allows their brain to make order out of chaos. It’s the same reason we see faces in toast and “see” ghosts. Our brains synthesize information into order we can understand. So, for example, if I say “Who lost someone with an “J” in his name?” there will be someone in the audience who lost someone named John, almost guaranteed. But to the person who lost the man named John, it seems as though the message is just for them. They go home and say “there’s no way she could have known his name started with a J!” Their brain will look for the hits and discard the misses. It’s simple psychology. I am very impressed with your article. Great job 🙂

• karen   June 6, 2014 at 5:40 pm

It would be a great article if it were factual but you are both wrong Teresa is not that general in her reading sorry Do more research!! Let me know when you come up with something better than what skeptics have been saying for years abougt cold readings etc etc. I can very well tell you Bryan that what you did by writing this article is you went after someone who’s very popular at this time and repeated whats been said for years about psychics just to earn yourself some attention in perhaps a boring routine. You have provided no PROOF of what your stating. You have no evidence of what your saying about pre interviews etc. I would love for Teresa to do a reading for you an my guess you’d be one of the ones with their mouth hung open at the end of it Now that sounds closer to the truth than your article

• Rob   June 7, 2014 at 4:41 pm

You are obviously a fan which makes you (strange?) to begin with. Learn how to use proper grammar, learn how to spell, and stop having continuous run on in sentences! And, let’s be honest here; she could do a reading on Bryan or me for that matter and I guarantee she would NOT get a single thing right, do you know why? Because she’s a fraud!

• Karen   June 8, 2014 at 2:40 pm

Whoa Rob didn’t know this was english 101 hahahahahaha. I am typing my thoughts as they come and foolish people like yourself would worry about my grammar and run on sentences. Typos upset you?? There is medication for that, Your using a very good tactic taking the focus off the the matter at hand that you have absolutely no knowledge about. The only strange person that you should be worried about is your partner for being with you and apparently whoever raised you to be such a negative individual. I can clearly understand why you don’t believe in this type of connection and its probably because you have no one that would want to communicate with you on this side let alone the “other”. Have a great day

161. Jenn   June 6, 2014 at 9:18 am

If people choose to believe in something that may or may not be real that’s their own decision is it not? Some times belief/faith in something (ie psychics, god, diffetent religions etc) is all a person needs to make them feel better. Even if deep down they know its not real.

162. Peter   June 6, 2014 at 8:28 am

It’s pretty laughable that there is someone out there with enough time on their his that he actually plans on trying to prove that this the Long Island Psychic is a fraud. Maybe when he’s finished with this one and really wants to up his game, he can try to prove that Criss Angel wasn’t really walking on water or levitating over the Luxor?

163. Karen   June 6, 2014 at 7:32 am

that’s total ridiculous. Apparently whoever wrote this article has never seen Teresa. Teresa does not use generalizations. She has told people that their relatives have drown (not very common) have been shot or murdered etc. If you don’t believe in communication with the afterlife than maybe you shouldn’t be giving scientific advice about the matter and base it on personal opinion of your own.

• Bryan Levy   June 6, 2014 at 7:38 am

Except, Karen, that she researches the people she wants to talk to. She gathers information and then throws it out to the audience, letting them confirm what she already knows. I’ve seen the show. I think all of her on the street encounters are set up by producers. I strongly encourage you to do a google search for “cold reading”. I think the similarities will shock you.

Also, I’ve given no scientific advice on communication with the afterlife, for a couple of different reasons. 1. It’s not science, and 2. I’m not a scientist. Also, I kept my beliefs completely out of it, reporting on only what is actual fact.

• Debbie   June 6, 2014 at 8:02 am

I’m not saying that I believe or not but I read the three ways to do a cold reading and I just don’t think that she’s smart enough to be able to follow the steps. JMO

• Bryan Levy   June 6, 2014 at 8:07 am

Just so I’m clear, it’s easier to believe a woman can talk to the dead than it is to believe she can follow steps? Which are really just throwing out information until someone says, ‘Yeah, that’s me”?

164. Patrick Houston   June 6, 2014 at 7:23 am

Someone does/doesn’t have psychic powers?!?
    Hmmmm.
    Sounds like the world might be flat too… Oh, no?
    The fact people believe everything that is on TV is absolutely baffling to me.
    I guarantee she has no powers and has made several million people fall to her false livelihood.
    Sorry to all that wasted their time. You need to shirk up and realize that it’s NOT possible.. Damn

165. nancy   June 6, 2014 at 7:08 am

I honestly don’t believe it.
    Though it may be true….I just can’t find it to be true or at least I hope not.

166. Dylan Evans   June 6, 2014 at 6:06 am