Zombies Apocalypse: Top 5 Theories That It Can Actually Happen

zombies

The world is obsessed with zombies and many have taken actions to survive what they perceive as an inevitable apocalypse. Many more people who believe it could happen, also believe that it will not be in their lifetime. The following are true stories of how zombies may have already been living among us, and how it is feasible that an outbreak could occur. In our lifetime? That is anyone’s guess, as we all know, life is stranger than fiction.

Zombies Theory Number One Comes From Haiti: The word zombie started out in Haiti where humans have died and been brought back to life. There are drugs like alkaloids that can and will, reanimate a human. After a poisoning, like from a neurotoxin which is found in blow fish for one, the reaction is that it slows the bodily functions to the point that the person appears dead. These alkaloids will revive that person and bring them back to life in a trance-like state. They will have no memory, and will only be able to perform simple tasks, thus taking on the form of the walking dead. One such true life story that happened in Haiti, was about a guy named Clairvius Narcisse who was declared dead by not just one doctor but two. He was buried in 1962, and 18 years later they found him wandering around the village! It seems the local priests of voodoo had used a chemical found in nature, and brought people back to life to work on sugar plantations. That sugar packet one may use in their coffee each morning could have been handled by real life zombies!

Zombies Theory Number Two Comes From Rats: Parasites of the brain is a terrifying phrase, but they are very real. There is a particular parasite called toxoplasmosa gondii that lives in rats. The infected rats can only breed the parasite within the intestines of cats. This all-consuming and terrifying toxin gets the rat to put itself in the position to get eaten without the rat even knowing it is putting itself in danger. So how does this translate to a zombie apocalypse? Well, scientists say that a good percentage of humans have this toxin already in us, and if an even more evolved strain of this toxin appears mankind could end up like the rats. It is not so far-fetched as rats are pretty close to humans and that is why they use these rodents in medical testing.

Theory Number Three Comes from The Rage Virus: There have always been a number of brain disorders that can turn a person violent, however they have also never been contagious, until humans encountered mad cow disease. When a person eats the infected meat, there are a number of symptoms that sound suspiciously like being a zombie. Some of the symtoms are, muscle twitching, delirium, changes in how the affected person walks. If mad cow disease got out of control and it turned our delirium into rage, and it could be transmitted by blood, well then, humans are just a bite away from a zombie apocalypse.

Zombies Theory Number Four Comes From Stem Cell Research: Neurogenesis is the regrowth of brain cell tissue, that was previously dead. This is done in a lab and regeneration does not happen in a real human, right? Currently this is correct but doctors have been able to use comatose patients with head trauma and have re-grown brain cells to the point where the person will wake up and walk. Taking this news and coupling it with the reality of suspended animation and it is possible to reanimate the world into a zombie apocalypse. Scientists working on reanimation, state there is a problem with the brain dying from the outside upon reviving it. This is essentially the nice parts of the human psyche and what is left is a primitive brain with just basic motor control and a survival instinct. It just might be time to sign up for a zombie survival reality show.

Theory Number Five Comes From Nanobots: These are tiny self multiplying robots that can destroy anything. Scientists have created what is call nano-cyborg, which is essentially a chip fused to a virus. These little chips can function almost a month after the host is dead, and there are studies that state that nanobots are will be a reality and that they will be able to crawl into a brain and replace damaged connections. Well, how could this possibly go wrong, and who would sign up for this?

Will it happen, when will it happen, and how will mankind survive? Some of the questions on the lips of many including the CDC which has advocated a zombie apocalypse survival kit. OK, it will also be useful for pandemics and other world shattering catastrophe’s, and includes the use of camouflaging oneself with chemicals to trick the undead into thinking a survivor was one of them. Two such stinky chemicals are cadavarine and putrescine, and their names alone make one think of the walking dead. So if it comes down to real life zombies and an apocalypse, at least we have a little bit of science on our side to fight for humanity.

By Kristi Cereska

Cracked.com
Movie Fone
Mother Jones

105 Responses to "Zombies Apocalypse: Top 5 Theories That It Can Actually Happen"

1. demonsty   August 10, 2016 at 5:34 am

I like turtles.

2. poof9428   August 7, 2016 at 8:32 pm

You know we’ve already figured out how to stop zombies, chop off their head. But the real question is “if by some chance the was a skeleton apocalypse (“living” moving skeletons bent on world destruction) How would we stop them?

3. Martin Kirby   May 10, 2016 at 2:17 pm

I believe that a zombie apocalypse is coming to the world and will be upon us very soon

4. varun   December 23, 2015 at 8:00 am

i belive in zombies but m still confuced when is it gonna occur..?

5. Tom   December 12, 2015 at 12:42 pm

I think the movie “Contagion” has it right. Some fool scientist makes rabies morph into a highly contagious and quick acting virus. It changes the brain to make it less active but uses blood to preserve and energize nerves. Thus you can shoot the body and no blood comes forth. The body continues to be working only because the nerves are stimulating the muscles but without the blood to supply the muscles with energy. Hence they (zombies) are twitching and jerking but can still walk. In order to stop a zombie you have to destroy their brain where most of the virus is and possibly being replicating or multiplying. To keep nourishing the disease it feels hunger, and will eat flesh. I don’t think it digests the flesh, it absorbs the flesh, thus it keeps on walking. The disease regulates the heart to the point the it seems to have stop. The virus is making the muscles work and doesn’t need blood pressure to make the body move. It stimulates the heart when needs to like when it sees or hears something that whats left of the brain thinks there is flesh to be had. Also, the sense of smell detects either non living persons and doesn’t attack or it senses that living flesh and attacks.

6. Ava   October 2, 2015 at 7:40 pm

I’m a zombie BRAINS k sorry I’ll just leave now

7. ileana snyder   September 14, 2015 at 8:45 am

zombies don’t exist. god will send them to you be bad. so be good and you will see god instead of zombies !

• ileana snyder   September 14, 2015 at 8:50 am

You forgot to write ‘if you’ between ‘you’ and ‘be’ ileana!

• katy nysa   September 14, 2015 at 8:52 am

why are you correcting yourself ileana?

• ileana snyder   September 14, 2015 at 8:57 am

sorry katy! should have changed the name if I wanted to correct myself !

8. Michaela   August 24, 2015 at 4:29 am

Cortyceps….where have I heard this? Ahh, yes The Last of Us. Nasty disease…the fungi literally becomes you.

9. Alex Ducharm,e   June 5, 2015 at 6:50 am

look into Cortyceps… it’s a fungus that is able to mutate ants and is contagious.

10. sierra Vasquez   June 4, 2015 at 5:02 pm

I think Ebola will cause the zombie apocalypse but I guess it is possible for the other five to cause a zombie apocalypse to happen.

11. summer   May 22, 2015 at 6:30 pm

I watch alot of the walking dead.. I think that there will be a zombie virus in about 20/10 years from now.

12. sawan   May 12, 2015 at 5:32 am

Hmmmmmmmmm.i say it could be Happen in Zoombie virus..

13. TopShot   May 8, 2015 at 8:24 am

So the zombie apocalypse is possible but instead of hordes of dead people chaceing you its a bunch of living people that are infected with a evolved virus

14. Vlad   May 8, 2015 at 7:09 am

Puffer fish poison was administered by voodoo priests, whom later cure the condition after doctors have been fooled, This is done in order to appear all powerful. And clearly authorities wouldn’t allow this sort of activity on a global scale. So no apocalypse there.

Diseases don’t make zombies, they make corpses. Anything that can attack the brain and disable all be the primitive side, will inevitably kill the host a short time after. And the infected people cannot survive without someone to properly care for them. As is with all people wandering around in a trace like state, they don’t properly care for themselves, not keeping warm or properly fed, end in further sickness and death.

Nano bots are science fiction, and will be for a long time. And even if they do become available, human stem cells are still very hard to come by in even trace amounts. And lacking them a nano bot can’t fix dead cells.

None of these scenarios would end in anything but a global epidemic, where the virus and the elements are the only real killers, rather than people killing people.

15. patrick   May 5, 2015 at 9:21 am

this can never ever happen even though i believe in zombies i still don’t think it will happen.(i hope)

16. Damien   May 1, 2015 at 12:10 pm

it will happen

17. sam winchester   April 29, 2015 at 10:03 am

it won’t

18. MatthewDong123   April 23, 2015 at 7:11 pm

I keep dreaming That it will happen

19. diba   April 23, 2015 at 6:33 am

it wont happen

20. Crane   March 30, 2015 at 6:29 am

If and when it happens I probbably will be a grown up and have a katana wich is the other word for a samurai sword. It would maybe be caused of rabies and yes i have been playing a lot of dying light it is a zombie game. OH I will help my dad reinforce our fence .I’m 13

• Hailey   April 22, 2015 at 3:41 pm

It pry won’t happin I mean maybe but I’m only 9 so Im well I watch walking dead so I’m fine but still it won’t happen

21. haydenmarlar   March 14, 2015 at 1:16 pm

I think this therory could be correct but one other think if there was a disease wouldnt we have it by now cause i would be a zombie

22. KnowsEnglish   February 25, 2015 at 12:43 pm

You are all a bunch of idiots. None of you can spell or type. I hope there IS an apocalypse so the world isn’t doomed to be run by a bunch of morons.

23. Diana Fleming   February 22, 2015 at 3:43 pm

So i have a question. When the apocalypse does happen, will the zombies eat human flesh or just roam around dead? i probably wont be alive when it does happen, but i’m just asking. because the philosophy of zombies has always been that they will EAT our flesh, blood, and brains. so i’m just wondering because if my future children are alive when this happens, i would like a heads up so i could let them known what’s going on.

24. MooCowBeLikeMOOOO   February 11, 2015 at 8:43 pm

Well, in The Walking Dead, AKA worlds best tv series, it was, from what I understood, a disease the scientists caused making people, DEAD PEOPLE, wake up with a craving for flesh and blood. Then explained is the disease wakes up your brain when you die… all of your brain except what makes YOU you. lol. Anyways that theory could very well be possible. So one last thing, THANK YOU GREG NICOTERO! lol.

25. conner   February 11, 2015 at 8:52 am

are zombies real

26. Katie   February 11, 2015 at 5:41 am

And how the hel do you know

27. Howie connors   January 5, 2015 at 6:27 am

There will and it will be from a disese

28. Isabella   December 31, 2014 at 10:03 am

I do believe there will be a zombie apocalypse mostly because of the show the walking dead which I have notices many of these pictures are from and I think the only way there could be a zombie apocalypse is if there would be a deadly disease that some how makes you form into a zombie or also known as walkers in the walking dead.

29. carolina   December 30, 2014 at 1:46 pm

I find that sort of scary what if the zombie apocalypse really DID Happen? To bad there’s a possibility that it can…….I might as well enjoy life for as long as I have it.

30. Michael Flores   December 24, 2014 at 11:44 pm

Its possible well viruses,canabolism.just think one day all you hear is the neighbors screaming and you see there 3 year old walking biting people first get in my car drive to walmart and live in walmart where the Diaper aisle is there problem solve

31. fil   December 19, 2014 at 10:24 pm

Zombies will happen just wait people…..

32. DreamNologyIX   December 19, 2014 at 6:55 am

I believe zombies are exists,They’ve proof it at haiti..The Island full of zombies..If I in zombies disaster,I’ll get some weapons and run away to find a good shelter like Police Station

33. Diana   December 15, 2014 at 12:33 am

Guys we never know as why would people make up stuff like this(vampires,ghost,zombies,were wolfs,aleins,etc) so it could be true..

34. Imogen   December 10, 2014 at 8:28 am

There is never going to be zombies

35. KAEA   December 9, 2014 at 12:32 am

Im not scared of zombies well..a bit but zombie apocalypse can happen whether u believe it or not the most thing that would start a zombie apocalypse would be a virus like if u get injected with something,plus when it comes to a zombie apocalypse it all about survival and teamwork the 1 common things you would need is food,water,weapons(any thing hard or can shoot)a go leader that knows everything and again teamwork, and I think God created zombies soo he can test our survival skills

• robert   December 10, 2014 at 9:54 am

and Bill,Zoey,louis and Francis or Nick, Rochelle, Coach and Ellis

36. Taylor   December 7, 2014 at 8:25 am

Zombie apocalypse seems scary butt it’s appropriate because I’m only 11but luckily I have a plan which is run to the freedom school down the road and grab all the neighbors and have them grab their supplies like knives rope food water and electronics

37. matty   December 2, 2014 at 9:38 pm

Zombie Apocalypse? It’s doesn’t scare me i’v seen them all Resident Evil, The Walking Dead Zombieland Night Of The Living Dead Etc…… All films have independent causes off outbreaks Resident Evil (lab experiment) 28 Days Later (Rage Virus)so I know how to survive or do I? So i’v watched every episode as far of The Walking Dead and to watch a film for hour and thirty mins it looks easy to survive, but to watch a series where their 2 to 4 years in to the Apocalypse and zombies and humans who trying to get get you in certainly wouldn’t want the Zombie Apocalypse but if it happens I will survive

38. the Dustin   November 29, 2014 at 10:11 pm

Um this the same guy that sentences ppl to burn forever?

39. Smith   November 24, 2014 at 6:08 am

I’m terrified on zombie what’s the point on movies that include it I’m watching walking dead looking behind me every 5 secs afraid I’m watching it so I have a good Idea on how to survive I love the world god does to would he really willing to do this?

• Phillip   December 8, 2014 at 2:32 pm

Zombies are more realistic than god

40. Hasasoga   November 17, 2014 at 3:53 am

If zombies are real , we’re all screwed. There is no humanity , no cilvilzation , no nothing. We wouldn’t want our piece to be gone and humans from extinction , right?

41. cocokid   November 17, 2014 at 2:42 am

Its an interesting thought and I’d be lying if I didn’t have my own idea on how to survive it, but with that said I’d never wish for something like this to happen. This would pretty much be asking for the extinction of the human species. If its not zombies then a number of another factors would kick in I.e. starving to death or hell just the plain old flu doing u in. Then add in crazy survivers or a simple injury going uncared for that later becomes infected. Lol too much food for thought eh.

42. Confused   November 16, 2014 at 5:36 pm

I honestly don’t know what to think about this… I have always loved the Walking Dead and thinking what it would be like to live and survive; but I also don’t wan’t it to happen because this would be very dangerous for many people and really scary. I have mixed feelings about this really… Comment what you think.

43. chad   November 16, 2014 at 4:19 pm

Truthful… I’d like to see it, but only cuz today’s society is such a horrible place, … this one is better than that one… I’m better than you and the like … fashion this! fashion that! … self_importance and obedience to the one who’s more important and the media sluts that dictate who those “important” people are…

44. joseph   November 16, 2014 at 10:30 am

If it does happen I have to protect my family and service I do have weapons but I have to train and get ready for it

45. Sarah   November 16, 2014 at 5:12 am

I hope ZOMBIES ARE REAL I wanna survive like Clemintine from the game

46. Paul Bayliss   November 14, 2014 at 7:58 am

Zombies cant be real… can they?

• KAEA   December 9, 2014 at 12:41 am

They can like say if a virus came out and turn u into zombie that can happen

47. Katie Walker   November 14, 2014 at 4:19 am

Im being honest i do want them 2 be real and i dont want them 2 be real because number 1 it will be a kewl adventure and survival game our something but the reason why i dont want em 2 be real is because what if …well i have a family and …you know I DONT WANNA DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• KAEA   December 9, 2014 at 12:44 am

Get a hold of your self soulder (SLAP) it’s going to happen weather u like it or not

48. Katie Walker   November 14, 2014 at 4:16 am

Nooooooo!

49. Alexandar Kotevski   November 12, 2014 at 10:27 am

IF a zombie apocalypse is possible ill take a extremely of roader like hammer mourdera and take a shutgun and live with my family, my mom dad and sister OF COURSE my dog too! I plan to live in the hammer!

50. Analise   November 11, 2014 at 8:03 pm

I really hope ZOMBIES are not real because I have
    A family that I love so I really hope scientist find out
    They are not real or NEVER WILL BE!!!!

• KAEA   December 9, 2014 at 12:46 am

Yea it can

51. Robbie Couillard   November 10, 2014 at 12:27 pm

IT IS SCIENTIFICALLY POSSIBLE

52. Brian   November 8, 2014 at 1:15 pm

Zombies??? Please. Remember when all we had to worry about was the Russians.

53. LOL   November 6, 2014 at 7:02 pm

*COUGH* EBOLA *COUGH*

54. Rebecca   November 6, 2014 at 3:46 pm

I think it might happen but keep darl and the walking dead in mine when it does they might have teached you something

55. tiffany   November 6, 2014 at 4:14 am

lmao never drinking coffee again.

56. Alex Stone   November 4, 2014 at 1:55 pm

Zombies are REAL!!! Wheres Daryl Dixon when you need him!!

57. Kayleigh   November 1, 2014 at 7:57 pm

I think the zombie apocalypse will happen one day and that you should believe in God and that the zombie apocalypse will happen one day and that their will be an end to this world I hope that God will keep his angels around us all and God bless you all.

• KAEA   December 9, 2014 at 12:50 am

I think God invented zombies 2 c how well our survival skills r these days like we kinda relied more on technology

58. Ramond cliff   October 30, 2014 at 8:43 am

I think that a zombie apocalypse would be interesting but not likely. But we said that about ebola… Look what happened.

59. Roman Reigns   October 29, 2014 at 4:53 am

It’s already happened in Bolton. A town where you get served by the dead wherever you go. Oh, the vacant facial expressions! Especially in Vodafone with their quality cadaver-esque staff hehe

• Ethan hunter   November 1, 2014 at 11:56 am

Hopefully it doesn’t spread into the United States if it does we’ll have to be prepared

• Ethan hunter   November 1, 2014 at 12:03 pm

And I hope they don’t run as fast as the ones in world War z then I could see why we would be screwed, even talking about zombies scares me sometimes. I know the comments later on are gonna say world war z isn’t real I know that it is just those zombies are really fast p.s demons can be real.

60. krislynn dickerson   October 13, 2014 at 5:18 am

I think there could be a zombie apocolypse we may think that theres no such thing but if you think about it if a gas or chemical gets in the air it could mess us up or turn us into zombies but we would need to find a plan in our lifetime to help cure the infection or to survive not to early and not to late

• KAEA   December 9, 2014 at 12:55 am

I’ve herd they trying 2 pepear 1 go 2 you tube and type up the deadliest warrior zombies vs vampires p.s. if u r wandering who wins it vampires.

61. Alan   October 8, 2014 at 1:51 pm

Could be a trick for halloween

62. Shell   October 6, 2014 at 3:48 pm

Scary stuff…

63. Mickenzi   October 4, 2014 at 2:26 pm

There’s no such thing as zombies, demon’s , faries and there is no such thing as ghost so grow up you pansies

• saad   October 5, 2014 at 11:47 pm

There’s no such thing as demons, fairies and ghosts, but zombies are a possibility, because that’s science, something chemically being altered in the brain and body. Its a very big long shot of a possibility, but it is still possible nonetheless

• jane   October 9, 2014 at 9:29 pm

don’t believe in demons? do believe in a God?

people don’t want to believe anything until its screaming in their face. wake up people, we’ve said nearly everything is impossible and we have all been proven wrong.

• LIGHTNING   December 9, 2014 at 12:57 am

Dude zombies can happen

64. €¥£££€£€£££££€¥€¥€£   October 1, 2014 at 11:44 am
  65. Johnny   October 1, 2014 at 1:08 am

sounds like a bunch of mumbo jumbo to me……??

66. dat lad   September 29, 2014 at 12:09 pm

Good theiry ariel

67. dumbanddumber   September 27, 2014 at 12:53 pm

I will come in 2025

68. ?????   September 22, 2014 at 11:32 am

Cool stuff

69. Ariel   September 19, 2014 at 6:11 pm

I think if people use to much drugs then they would die and be turned into a zombie I now it sounds stupid but that is just my thought

70. ///   September 15, 2014 at 11:38 am

cool

71. alcatraz   September 12, 2014 at 11:39 am

That should be the “WORLD WAR 3” with a virus

72. Artemis   September 9, 2014 at 10:19 am

A zombie apocalypse would be awesome!!!!!YOU CAN DO ANYTHING YOU WANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• eorgar   September 13, 2014 at 10:27 pm

to bad you will be fighting for your life or before you know what happened your all ready one of them

73. Tevia   September 8, 2014 at 12:28 pm

I don’t honestly believe that a zombie “apocalypse” will happen per say, at least not in the way most people think of it. I believe there will be isolated incidents of what people perceive to be the start… I.e. Miami ( the face eating druggie). People will see these and automatically start throwing out zombies. Its the people around us that think its an apocalypse that we will have to worry about….

74. rhiannon   September 8, 2014 at 12:19 pm

cool, this really helped me out

75. Miguel   September 7, 2014 at 11:32 pm

What is wrong with you people think about what would happen to your loved ones and besides if 75% of the earths population is infected what makes you think your gunna be that tiny 25% majority.

• eorgar   September 13, 2014 at 10:28 pm

at least someone understands

76. tylor cain   September 7, 2014 at 8:28 pm

It would be fun but loseing ppl would be the worst

77. SM   September 4, 2014 at 9:51 pm

Cant wait. This society can use some clean up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

78. Chaye Reid   September 2, 2014 at 6:13 pm

if there was a zombie apocalypse i would rob cash converters because they have 12 crossbows 7 swords and arrows. i would also go to school because i would rob the tuckshop for food and sharpen arrows and swords.I would then find a kitten and train it in the art of killing zombies. i would also have 2 pet zombies and live in toowoomba

79. Jamie   August 30, 2014 at 4:51 pm

Apart from resources, it would be fun living ina world like the last of us.. the UK and europe may struggle a bit though as weapons arent legal.. america would be full o carnage though so thats where i would be heading if an infecion broke out.. cus thats where the fun would be haha

80. Derek   August 30, 2014 at 11:52 am

I believe it’s possible, because all of the rising powers in the world are constantly fighting, forming and breaking alliances, etc. Warfare will never end. Everyone with the power to do so wants to make a bigger gun and a more powerful germ and/or chemical. In the ever-confrontational context of our times, this fact is endless in it’s ominous implications. Think of if a ‘zombie’ virus was created, like the movie The Crazies, it would be a perfect weapon; Targeted dispersal, high fatality, persistent effectiveness, deniability, and zero friendly casualties. With the attacking military’s surveillance keeping the a/o under control via long-distance strike capabilities such as artillery and air support, the a/o could be contained. The chaos created by the attack with severely hamper the defensive/responsive capabilities of the target.The concern here is 1. Who attacks, 2. Who is the target, and 3. Accidental outbreak.
    A weapon of this terrible capacity IS possible. Biological and chemical agents with psycho-active properties are proof of this. For example, mental health medications are proof that certain areas of the brain can be targeted to produce a certain effect. This ability will very likely be weaponized, if it has not already been. MKULTRA is proof of such interest. Whether it was to investigate a way to enhance our own soldiers, or to create a weapon, the fact that the military played a major part in the study clearly implicated the possible use of such inventory in a combat context. If given the opportunity to expand into a field that it’s obviously very interested in, why would a constantly-warring and ever-advancing military limit studies of such technology to only one incident?

81. Mike   August 28, 2014 at 8:24 am

I’d love a zombie apocalypse! No worry to work hard and pay bills anymore, keep fit and strong chasing the buggers, and be fun hacking them up hahaha!

82. dave   August 24, 2014 at 12:30 pm

exactly jay if the advancement of technology could go against us though if it does happen depending on zombies intelligence

83. Cedrick   August 18, 2014 at 1:16 pm

I am positive that the zombie apocalypse is gonna hapen and im ready for it so bring it on.

84. Erin   August 17, 2014 at 1:37 am

Thanks for the post, I found it very in lightening.

85. Kristi Cereska   August 11, 2014 at 5:15 pm

Good thinking Jay, there are a lot of “Zombie Hunters” out there just waiting for the apocalypse!

86. Jay   August 11, 2014 at 4:40 pm

Well if all of this happen the “zombie apocalypse” will not last long becouse of guns and technology.It will just last a few days or weeks before everything was back a to normal and controlled.