Dave Hester Returns to Storage Wars

storage wars
Controversial cast member Dave Hester has made his return to the hit A&E reality show Storage Wars. The mogul, as he is known, made his return on the August 12 episode of the series.

The decision to return has shocked many because Hester was involved in an all out legal war with A&E only a year and a half ago. In December 2012, following his departure from the show in the middle of its third season, he filed a lawsuit against both the network and Original Productions. He did so in an attempt to reveal to the public that, in his opinion, the show was rigged. In the lawsuit, Hester accused the Storage Wars producers of planting desirable items in certain lockers and staging the script to make it look as though certain teams discovered said items, when the items had previously been appraised weeks before the launch of any given episode. He also made claims that lower-income teams were secretly given cash in order to improve their ability to buy certain lockers and compete with the big-time bidders. He went on to claim that he and other Storage Wars cast members allegedly met with producers to voice their concerns regarding what he referred to as the violation of federal law, in that they were attempting to trick viewers while airing a show involving intellectual skills. The suit alleges that these worries were disregarded by the producers of the show.

Producers responded to the lawsuit by stating that the show’s composition was protected under the First Amendment, and that the Communications Act of 1934 is irrelevant due to cable television not existing in that time. While they did not agree with Hester’s claims that the show was scripted and rigged, executive producer Thom Beers did admit that many of the storage lockers originally investigated did not make their way on the show, due to the lack of substantial content inside and the limited amount of time to air lockers in an episode. A&E won their case regarding Hester’s claims of unfair business practices, with the federal judge assigned to the matter opting to throw it out.

The mogul won a small victory, however, when a Los Angeles Superior Court judge gave him the green light to pursue vindication against the network for what he thought was wrongful termination. This decision made Storage Wars fans feel absolutely certain that there was no chance of Hester ever returning to the series. In mid-July, however, it was revealed that he and those at A&E had agreed upon a settlement regarding the matter, and made the collective decision to add the former fan favorite back to the show. Many viewers, whether they loved or hated Hester, did not feel the show was the same without him and that it had lost its edge upon his departure. Different cast members were tested as his replacement, but ratings for the series suffered a serious decline upon his exit.

It remains to be seen how the return of Dave Hester will pan out for the rest of the current season of Storage Wars. Season five’s finale will air on August 19, 2014.

by Rebecca Grace

International Business Times
Design & Trend
Radar Online

45 Responses to "Dave Hester Returns to Storage Wars"

1. BEVERLY   January 12, 2016 at 3:18 pm

I WISH THIS SHOW WOULD COME BACK ON. I DON’T PAY ANY ATTENTION TO WHAT GOES ON BEHIND THE SCENES. I JUST ENJOYED WATCHING THIS SHOW.

2. Kathy Meadows   October 22, 2015 at 9:41 pm

i am sorry that he is back. i enjoyed the show so much more without his mouth running and dis-respect showing. i really dont want to watch it anymore..in fact, i am not watching it anymore.

3. Sue Roberson   September 22, 2015 at 5:50 pm

Yes!!! David’s back! I meant Yuup – love your new truck Hey are you on fb?

4. Jim   September 14, 2015 at 2:27 pm

Glad to see Hester back he makes the show.

5. Miles McMillan   March 26, 2015 at 12:44 pm

It is so obviously faked but then so is “pro wrestling” and millions watch. Come on, it’s just entertainment!

6. Joe Blowk   January 18, 2015 at 5:43 pm

I will watch again if Daves there!

7. rev jesse clinton (@revjesseclinton)   December 24, 2014 at 8:37 am

makes no difference to me either way, I don’t care

8. Go Hester   November 30, 2014 at 5:53 pm

I could not stand the arrogant idiot and stopped watching Storage Wars. When he left, I began watching again. Now that’s he back, so long A&E.

9. Jeanette Pufford   November 26, 2014 at 7:51 am

No more automatic record when Dave Hester is on. I will check schedule first. I was happy when he left the show. He can actually prompt stress. It’s unreasonable that a tv character can make me feel that way. Age has taught me that I can remove myself from such negativity. One does not have to have to accept someone like that in my atmosphere to get along with the world; even if it’s just a tv program. He says, “Yup,” I hear , “Oink, snort.” Dave Hester=Liability, at least for me.

10. Kelly Gardner   November 25, 2014 at 4:54 pm

I won’t watch the show with Hester on it.

11. Dave   November 18, 2014 at 7:16 am

YEEEP!

12. steve   November 11, 2014 at 7:10 pm

I hate that Hester is back on the show.

13. DJ   November 7, 2014 at 7:35 pm

I personnally can’t stand Dave Hester and can’t watch the show now that he is back. He is a pathetic jerk.

• ray_of_sunshine   November 20, 2014 at 10:59 pm

AGREE!!!!!

14. stan   November 5, 2014 at 11:06 am

let me know when he is gone, i’ll start watching the show again

15. nancy   November 5, 2014 at 2:55 am

get rid of this POS

16. Linda D   November 4, 2014 at 8:10 pm

Very negative and bothersome to watch. Don’t need this in my life

17. Phil   October 29, 2014 at 12:27 pm

Smug and conceit make me sick.

18. Karen Peters   October 22, 2014 at 8:01 pm

Dave has such a negative energy and I simply cannot continue to watch any more shows if he is included. So sad!

19. Lisa B   October 21, 2014 at 6:35 pm

Please listen to the fans A & E. Do not like Dave Hester, too much negativity and bickering. He is a hateful person.

20. Donna   October 6, 2014 at 8:23 am

Watched twice since his return – I HATE this guy and thinks he just shows the ignorance and disgusting side of business people – will not watch again as long as he is there

21. cindy cyr   October 1, 2014 at 12:10 pm

Cant stand Dave Hester, I refuse to watch as long as hes on the show

22. Wendy   September 24, 2014 at 1:32 am

Dave Hester has no idea what he is doing! He is arrogant, cannot pronounce the items he bought, and when he tries to add up his so called profits, he doubles and triples the amount, trying to make himself look like he actually made money on the unit! I did watch the show here and there but had to stop because of Hester! He ruins the show! He thinks he knows everything and when he supposedly makes other bidders pay more for a unit by running up the price on them, the idiot doesn’t realize, they make money on those units! Then when someone runs up the price on him, his reaction is always the same…Oh, I’m gonna make some serious money on this unit…they think they bid me up,when I know this here box of books is worth at least $75 a box and I got me 25 boxes, I’ll make money on this all day! Hester, paperbacks go for fifty cents a book…do the math! A&E, I will NEVER watch Storage Wars ever again! Oh,but I will be watching Brandi and Jarrods new show…love your family! Very funny, loving and entertaining!

23. Carol   September 23, 2014 at 9:12 pm

Dave Hester is a sick person and should be put in a nut house………………………

24. Dale Rice   September 20, 2014 at 10:05 am

Dump Dave. He leaves a bad smell. Bring back Barry.

25. kamala martucci   September 19, 2014 at 9:42 am

I love dave hester he adds the umph and desention that the show needs. makes it more interesting. I miss barry also

26. M   September 15, 2014 at 8:25 am

I can’t stand Dave Hester! The show was so much better without him! Without Barry,the show is just not the same. Will l stop watching now that Dave Hester is back?Yuuuuuuup! Bad decision A&E.

27. Robin (robvogt)   September 8, 2014 at 9:26 pm

He’s an attention needy drama whore, and personally, I won’t watch any episodes that include Hester. Especially after his bullying Laura. He’s a wanna-be JR without the balls. I change the channel when I see he’s on. Hope he stays gone!

28. Michael   September 7, 2014 at 8:18 pm

Hester was the most honest, though I would not want to spend time with him. The rest are far worse than Hester and that female auctioneer is absolutely horrible.

29. Bill t   September 5, 2014 at 6:08 pm

The show needs him

30. Biff   September 4, 2014 at 8:11 pm

I don’t need to watch A&E to see jerks in the workplace….Dave Hester ruins the show in my mind.

31. Mary   September 1, 2014 at 1:48 pm

I did not enjoy watching Dave Hester on the show. He was arrogant and seemed to take an attitude with the other bidders that added negativity.

32. Leslie banks   August 30, 2014 at 1:42 am

I won’t be watching either. So much better without him.

33. Penny Harris   August 26, 2014 at 7:28 pm

No more Storage Wars for me. Can not stand Hesters mouth.

34. Dguardianlv   August 22, 2014 at 10:55 pm

Glad Hester is back. He was a total jerk but the show was lacking without him. I like the others, but no chemistry without Hester. Also, It is obvious the show is helping Jarrod and Brandi. It was more fun when they started, now they are the top bidders and getting the top lockers? After reading this article my suspicions are confirmed, so disappointing but now that Hester is back I will start watching regularly.

35. Abner Wizzle   August 22, 2014 at 12:48 am

Hester is a dick.

36. wontbewatching   August 21, 2014 at 11:06 am

I wont be watching either. Dont like Hester.

37. palmetto   August 20, 2014 at 4:45 pm

Thank god he is back! Now only if Jarrod would have a wreck and do the world a favor with his chino poser self. After viewing the episode the auction chic picked that fight with him. As for the comment above I will post on my Facebook and I have almost a thousand friends and so do they so I think your ratings will be fine if not better than before!

38. barbrussbodnar   August 20, 2014 at 6:41 am

I cannot believe you brought this pompous, self-absorbed, liar, thief and lawsuit hungry pig back to the show. I will not be watching any more and I will post on my facebook wherein I have at least 100 plus friends, and they will tell their friends, and they will tell their friends, etc., etc., etc. I guess you will be losing a lot of viewers. your bad, not mine.

39. Gary   August 20, 2014 at 1:22 am

I never cared for Dave at all but I think that I am in love with Brandi !
    Sorry Dave. You can bet that I will be watching your new show.

40. Gus   August 20, 2014 at 1:06 am

Barry was FAR better..they should have brought him back and not bothered with Hester..loudmouth douchebag! Totally turned me off the show

41. ajp   August 19, 2014 at 10:12 pm

I’d say Dave is a lowlife belly crawling snake. But that is aviewerult to the snake. With back on the show they lost a viewer.

42. Kelly Donaldson   August 19, 2014 at 9:41 pm

Love storage wars for years, record every episode, Dave Hester’s back, sorry I’m done watching, delete recording
    It been fun but I’m done.
    Dave Hester, just a loud mouth loser not worth watching.

43. ron   August 19, 2014 at 7:35 pm

Dave rules

44. chico   August 19, 2014 at 6:59 pm

now that Dave hester is back, I will never watch it again