Joan Rivers Dead From Propofol Like Michael Jackson?

Did Joan Rivers Die From Propofol Like Michael Jackson?

The Clinic which administered the surgery of Joan Rivers claims the comedienne was a recipient of the same drug blamed for the death of music legend Michael Jackson. The 81-year-old Queen of Comedy was being sedated for an endoscopy procedure when she slipped into a coma and never regained consciousness.

The comedy legend was given propofol as an anesthetic before she died. Propofol is common for simple medical procedures and is the same medication that was the leading cause of death for the King of Pop. This same drug gained national attention after Jackson had taken a cocktail of drugs that included propofol.

Patients of the clinic where the Rivers fell ill confirmed propofol is commonly used for endoscopy and colonoscopy procedures. One patient who received an endoscopy following Rivers said the staff continued to use the drug. One staff member even referred to the drug as the “Michael Jackson” drug.

It was not until almost the end of the procedure when medical personnel realized the comedienne’s oxygen level was crashing. Although it was not clear what led to the breathing problems, propofol is known for having a small margin of error between respiratory arrest and sedation. Reports said it could have been the anesthetic or even a complication of the procedures being performed. They tried to stabilize Rivers, but were unsuccessful.Did Joan Rivers Die From Propofol Like Michael Jackson?

The Department of Health in New York State immediately launched an investigation into Yorkville Endoscopy where Rivers went into cardiac arrest. The clinic has cooperated fully. Staff said Rivers just stopped breathing while under anesthesia. Paramedics, who were called to the clinic, rushed in to find doctors frantically trying to place a tube down the comedienne’s throat in hopes of getting her to breathe again. Paramedics took over and were able to intubate her and perform CPR before she began breathing again. At that time, Rivers was said to have been in bad shape.

Recent reports state an ear, nose and throat specialist (ENT) was also present during the procedure that was not authorized to practice medicine at the clinic. The specialist was invited in by Ms. Rivers’ gastroenterologist to check Rivers. The specialist examined the comedienne’s voice box before and after the gastroenterologist performed the upper endoscopy. Although the ENT specialist was not authorized to practice at the clinic reports state neither the gastroenterologist nor the specialist has been accused of wrongdoing.

Rivers passed away on September 4th peacefully surrounded by close friends and family. Her only daughter, Melissa, announced her passing simply by saying, “It is with great sadness that I announce the death of my mother, Joan Rivers.” She said what made her mother the happiest was making people laugh. That is what she loved to do.

Widely known as Joan Rivers, the comedienne was born Joan Alexandra Molinsky in June 1933. She was mostly noted for her comedic and often controversial persona but was also a writer, television host, producer and comedian. She rose to prominence as a guest on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson in 1965. Rivers was given her own show The Late Show With Joan Rivers in 1986, making her the first woman to ever host a late night television talk show.

More recently Rivers starred in a reality series called Joan & Melissa: Joan Knows Best (with her only daughter) and co-hosted the E! Celebrity fashion show called Fashion Police. The woman who has made the world laugh for many decades may be gone but her ability to bring joy to the world will laugh forever through the legacy she left in the earth. It is not clear whether propofol is to be blamed for the death of Joan Rivers as is was for the King of Pop but reports state the drug was used as an anesthetic during the procedure.

By: Cherese Jackson (Virginia)

NY Times
Radar Online

18 Responses to "Joan Rivers Dead From Propofol Like Michael Jackson?"

1. Deb   September 17, 2014 at 7:29 am

ok Propofol IS a very common drug used in ICU’s when a patient is intubated and them want them in a medical coma. As a medical professional It is my understanding that she was undergoing this procedure to check her vocal cords period. She has had a raspy voice for years and honestly if I were her Dr. I would have wanted a scope done years ago to check for polyps and get a biopsy of any suspicious tissue. She sounded a lot like people with throat cancer. I am curious why a Gastro Doc was doing this outpatient. I know there are many freestanding clinics that do relatively minor procedures BUT to my knowledge they do have either an anesthesiologist or a Nurse anesthetist do the sedation. My 5 yr old daughter was given propofol for an MRI of her ankle BUT she had her own personal anesthesiologist with her giving her just enough to keep her under but not compromise her breathing , you will have a slowing of breathing with any sedation, and I can tell you what… when have to have my colonoscopy, I hope to H**l I hope they give me it so I have NO idea what is going on, just the sound of a nurse saying “you’re done”. MOST of the time people fine, some r more sensitive, she had a heart condition,she had a heart attack?? as for Michael Jackson? he was using it as a SLEEP AID and HIS Dr. WAS negligent. AND BTW, they do plastic surgeries, breast reductions and tummy tucks in outpatient facilities. SO, don’t judge the staff without doing your drug research.

2. Marlene K   September 16, 2014 at 5:22 am

My deep sympathy, first to family friend and fans. There are so many rumors but I’ve wondered why she took her own Dr? Michael Jackson died from a cocktail including propofol. There has been no indication Ms
    Rivers had anything but propofol. It is known Ms Rivers had a heart condition that she was careful being put to sleep. So, yes , she should been in hospital. My husband had a endoscopic procedure, demerol,was used in hospital setting. Was she.allergic to propofol ? It is a tragedy… So Many questions..why do u on think government at fault?

3. Julie Anderson   September 15, 2014 at 11:00 pm

I was given propofol for my last colonoscopy. Having had 10 surgeries, I thought it to be a weird sedation drug, you go to sleep quickly than wake up quickly, no recollection of anything in between.

• Deb   September 17, 2014 at 7:31 am

my kind of colonoscopy.. bring it on, you go thru H**L with the prep you might as well ride the white pony to sleepy town.

4. Sandy eille   September 15, 2014 at 10:20 pm

She was receiving conscious sedation and obviously no one adequately managed her airway! Unfortunate!

5. jeffery   September 15, 2014 at 12:39 pm

The clinic was reckless; and the system allows for recklessness; she went to a boutique clinic for a procedure she didn’t need or at least that could have been done in a hospital; it’s not her fault; it’s the lack of proper regulation in the US for those kinds of things.

6. gracey77   September 15, 2014 at 10:15 am

The govt killed her over the obama gay comment its a threat to him and the country…..was a message

• Jim   September 15, 2014 at 6:45 pm

Yep, you hit the nail on the head with that comment. Rivers spilled the beans on obummer and his drag queen and bingo, she is gone man.

• deb   September 17, 2014 at 7:14 am

you are ridiculous..many people r angry with Obama for one reason or another. EVERYTHING seems to be HIS fault. I am sorry but your moment is ignorant. just sayin

7. kady   September 15, 2014 at 9:31 am

I think you mean consciousness, not conscientiousness.

8. Chris   September 15, 2014 at 8:58 am

Who can control when life will end?

9. ARLEEN THOMAS   September 15, 2014 at 8:04 am

I”M MISS YOU SO MUSH,REST IN PEACE QUEEN OF COMEDIC MS. JOAN RIVERS, TO MS.MELISSA BE STRONG FOR YOUR FAMILY,

10. Ed Davis   September 15, 2014 at 7:03 am

Propofol is a very safe drug when administered in the appropriate setting by competent trained personnel.
    Every medical procedure carries a risk. In fact the consents the patient must sign almost always list death as one of the risks.

11. Kenneth P. Finan .   September 15, 2014 at 6:43 am

Kenneth in Birmingham UK .
    My condolences, -to Melissa,
    +Cooper, +extended Family.
    This is an International,
    -MAJOR loss, -to The World.
    We are completely devastated,
    -with Joan’s death.
    She was a GIANT, -of this World,
    +in The Entertainment Industry.
    But I’m very very suspicious.
    Why was Proposal used ??
    Not supposed to be administered,
    -outside of a Hospital setting ?
    And when we were all hit,
    -with The crushing death,
    -of another Giant, -Robin Williams,
    -what does one do, -or think.
    We are left bereft of words.
    I was shattered, -to hear if The Wonderful Lady’s death.
    I will never get over this. Or Robin’s death.
    I could cry forever.
    Two most Wonderful +critically important people.
    Lost, -long before their time. What are we to do …………….. .
    Ms. Rivers, -should have had this procedure, -carried out,
    -performed in a Hospital. Not sure what happened there.
    Perhaps inadequate advice, -given Ms. River’s.
    We have to go on now, -without Joan + Robin.
    These deaths, +Michael Jackson’s , -are as big as ;
    HRH . Princess Diana .
    Joan +Robin, -lit The way, -for us.
    Now The light is out, +it’s dark. Who’s able to re light ?
    Whoopi +Billy will have to help.
    I lived in New York City +Connecticut, -30 year’s.
    I ran into Joan +Elaine Stritch , -a few times, -over the years.
    Manhattan. -Here +there. UES +UWS .
    I simply cannot believe, -this has all happened.
    The sadness, -is crushing.
    But Joan +Robin, -were excellent teacher (s) .
    I have learned well, -from them.
    And completely +fully understand,
    them, -so much, -so well.
    Thank The God’s for them.
    And all other Giants, +good people, -EVERYWHERE.
    I wonder if Joan knew Dawn French, -Jennifer Saunders ,
    +Catherine Tate. Matt Lucas +David Williams.
    All Giants.
    Farewell Joan +Robin.
    I Loved you both, -soooooooooo much.
    I don’t want to stop scripting here, -there’s never enough said, -to say.
    I must carry on , -without.
    I did not know, -Mr. Robin, -or Ms. Joan, -personally.
    I’m so crushed, -that’s all.
    Be safe everyone. Life is shaky.
    My Love to all.
    Thank you, -for reading.
    There should be permanent Bill board Pics,
    -erected , -in Times Square, of Joan +Robin together.
    That might help light The way.
    Thank you.

12. missingJoan   September 15, 2014 at 6:38 am

The problem isn’t the drug Propofol.. It’s when incompetent people administer it. I’d like to know if a board certified anesthesiologist was giving the drug. This GI doctor Lawrence Cohen wrote several papers arguing that Gastroenterologist can safely give Propofol without anesthesiologiat. I’ll be he’s rethinking that theory today.

13. Elizabeth   September 15, 2014 at 6:09 am

I feel the same. Rest in peace, sweet Joan.

14. Michael Harriso   September 15, 2014 at 4:39 am

I totally agree with you David, I feel the same way. Never has a celebrity death had such an impact on myself.

15. David Popp   September 15, 2014 at 1:45 am

well, I would have thought by now we would have known exactly what happened to our precious Joan, I’m sure it would help her family be able to be at peace because this was so sudden, not to be narcissistic, but I didn’t realize how much of an impact this would have on my life and feeling so depressed over this loss, I used to uplift myself and others by saying her jokes, and now I can’t because it makes me feel sad, sometimes I just cannot understand how so much wrongs happen and to think it was meant to be I cannot accept either. I cannot help when I think of Melissa kissing the coffin and to know who was in the coffin brings me to tears. I am motivated now to do what I want to do in life and to fight hard