‘Alaskan Bush People’ Brown Family Faces PFD Fraud Charges

Alaska

Each year qualifying Alaska residents receive a Permanent Fund dividend (PFD) check, distributed to those eligible for nothing more than living there. The Brown family, who stars in the Discovery Channel show Alaskan Bush People, is currently in trouble with the state, facing 60 counts of felony charges due to false statements made on PFD applications between 2010 and 2013.

The PFD money comes from a percentage of the proceeds on the Alaska Permanent Fund, created in 1976 as a savings account for oil revenues. The principal is used for income-producing investments, and a portion of the proceeds are distributed among eligible residents. This year the amount will be $1,884.00. In order to qualify for the payment, applicants must have been a resident of the state during the previous year, and intend to remain in the state indefinitely. They must not have claimed residency in any other state, and have not been sentenced or incarcerated as a result of a felony conviction or misdemeanor. If absent from the state for more than 180 days it must have been an allowable absence, such as school or military service, and even with an allowable absence the applicant must have been physically present in the state for at least 72 consecutive hours at some time during the previous year.

The Brown’s problems stem from the “physical presence” requirement, which the state believes the family did not meet, even though they received PFD checks. Scott Stair is an investigations manager with the Alaska Department of Revenue. He said Thursday that an out-of-state fraud tip prompted an investigation into the Browns eligibility. Stair said that between October 2009 and August 2012 the Brown family did not meeting the “physical presence requirement,” meaning the state believes that they spent more than 180 days each year living outside of the state, and that they lied on their applications to hide this fact.

The Discovery Channel’s director of communications, Sean Martin, wrote in an email that they do not divulge their shooting dates, so they cannot advise when the filming concluded on season one. He did confirm that they are “currently filming new episodes,” although air dates are not yet announced.

A grand jury in state capital Juneau has charged six of the seven family members with a total of 60 counts of first- and second-degree theft, and first-degree unsworn falsification. Billy Brown, 61, faces 24 of the charges, linked to PFD applications filed between 2010 and 2013, and for the theft of over $13,000 in dividend money. Other charges have been filed against Amora Brown, 51, Joshua Brown, 30, Solomon Brown, 27, Gabriel Brown, 24 and Noah Brown, 22.

Alaskan Bush People describes the Brown family, consisting of Billy, Ami and their seven children, as a “recently discovered family that was born and raised wild.” According to Discovery’s website, all nine sleep together in a one-room cabin, refer to themselves as a “wolf pack,” and have developed their own accent and dialect.

Nov. 4 is the scheduled date for the Alaskan Bush People family  to appear in court on the PFD fraud charges. First-degree unsworn falsification and second-degree theft are class C felonies that carry a maximum penalty of five years and up to a $50,000 fine, according to the state Department of Law.

By Beth A. Balen

Alaska Dispatch News
KTVA
Alaska Department of Revenue
Alaska Department of Revenue
Alaska Dispatch News
Alaska Permanent Fund Corporation

153 Responses to "‘Alaskan Bush People’ Brown Family Faces PFD Fraud Charges"

1. Tim   July 18, 2016 at 3:27 pm

It’s interesting the mother, as a home schooling teacher, was able to teach Rain about the solar system and astrological arrangements, but was unable to teach Noah the “genius who has no contemporaries” to write, my 6 year old does a better job

2. Diane   July 5, 2016 at 3:11 am

I enjoy watching this show and I’m not a big reality show watcher. I’m surprised by some of the negative comments especially those that relate to the boys, how they relate to girls and their speech. Shameful.

3. David belknap   June 10, 2016 at 9:11 pm

First of all all of u that have commented on this post are really treating these people unfairly and its yogi the bear lol I would love to see each of u try to survive in the bush! Only God can judge ! !

4. Ralph   June 10, 2016 at 7:06 pm

The whole family are fake. They should pay for the crime that they are charged with.One the boys said he does know anything about a computer but I heard on tv that he went on line and had a good time talking online. Your right Noah is a joke how he dresses and what says about dating a girl.I hope the judge finds them guilty and give them the max. in prison.

5. radarman67   May 6, 2016 at 5:26 pm

If I were them they are to do the right thing. The Boys make Bad sailors and should never let them run the Boat. Their accents are really stupid!!!! Just use your own talking, I can speak three foreign languages, Speak with a English accent, Australian , Yokie the Bear, Donald Duck.
    T can throw a Knife better then all 5 of them. As a Texan you never leave your camp unattended No matter what.!!!! Bears or Not.
    Noah is a JOKE, with that Cane and his ways with girls, He talks really stupid even with that accent,

6. lisa   April 22, 2016 at 5:15 pm

who taught them how to do the illuminati sign with their fingers the moms even doing the hand sign of the devil

7. Christine   March 4, 2016 at 9:39 am

I’ve seen too many inconsistencies during the process of this show. Check the credits: four loggers were hired to build the home. Each member of the family is paid enormous amounts of money per episode so why push the poor factor? Plus when the Integrity went into drydock, that didn’t come cheap. Then, revenue from Billy’s novels. Great kids…to bad the premise is a fraud.

8. gary huff   February 25, 2016 at 6:15 pm

would love to find out how billy is doing now on 2/25/16. health wise

9. Charles Collins   January 19, 2016 at 2:25 pm

The show is a farce, and the Browns are a bunch of clowns that could not make it 3 days in the “bush”. There is something lacking in the mentality of the boys. How many boys of that age would still be at home, separated from women? Give me a break.

10. ABIGAIL   January 15, 2016 at 11:58 am

01/15/2016

YES, I PRAY THEY GET WELL. I WISH EVERY FAMILY STUCK TOGETHER AND HELPED EVERYONE WHEN YOU ARE DOWN. THE BROWN FAMILY IS ONE OF THE BEST FAMILIES I HAVE EVER SEEM. THAT’S THE WAY IT WAS WHEN MY DADDY DIED. IT WAS BETTER WHEN HE WAS ALIVE, HE LOVED US, BUT THEN MUCH, MUCH LATER, YOU DIDN’T HAVE MUCH AND WHEN YOU CAME HOME FROM SCHOOL YOU TOOK OFF YOUR SCHOOL CLOTHES AND PUT ON YOUR PLAY CLOTHES EACH AND EVERY DAY AND MADE SURE YOU HELPED AROUND THE HOUSE AND EVERYTHING WAS CLEANED AND IF IT WASN’T, YOU WERE WOKEN UP EARLY IN THE MORNING AND YOU HAD TO TAKE ALLLLLLL THE DISHES, PANS, ETC. AND WASHED THEM ALL IN HOT SUDSY WATER AND IF THEY WERE NOT DONE LIKE IT WAS SUPPOSE TO BE, WELL U CAN GUESS THE REST OF THE STORY, EVEN IF U WERE 6 YRS OLD!!!!!! EVEN TO THIS DAY AFTER WORKING HARD COUNTING OVER COUNTING AND SWEATING OVER THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS, IT USE TO BE A TOUGH JOB, BUT DUE TO HAVING SURGERY & HAVING 1 OF 2 BULGING DISC REMOVED 04/07/2009 I ENDED IN SHORT , THEN LONG TERM DISABILITY. GOD HAD A REASON FOR THAT.
    THANK GOD FOR THAT! I FOUND OUT ALOT OF THINGS I HAVE. BUT, GOD TAKES CARE OF ME & MINE!! MANY BLESSINGS TO U & URS!!!

ABIGAIL

11. Ann Sherman   January 12, 2016 at 4:06 am

They wear jewelry tooooo?????

12. John McCarthy   January 7, 2016 at 3:15 pm

The show is entertaining…but I never quite believed they live completely in the wild., i.e, the girls wear make up, fingernail polish, etc. I really don’t think our great great ancestors did that!! Just saying…..

13. Jeff   January 7, 2016 at 10:20 am

Ann just continue to watch Days of our life and stay off computer. If you are so possitive it is bull why don’t you take and trip up there and prove it instead of bashing something you know nothing about. Give them a break. These are real people just trying to live the way our great, great, grand parents did. One thing I am sure of is that the kids will not grow up like some city kids that do drugs, rape people and shoot there friends and neighbors and school mates. So with that said we should be helping them as we do when people in lower 48 that has had there homes burn down or something else bad happens. As far as the law suit goes. REALY how many people in USA take advantage of our welfare programs and chairity’s every day to the toon of millions of dollars not just a few thou and if they did indeed due wrong give them a chance and I am sure they will make it right.
    Just my thoughts.
    Billy’s get well soon.

14. Ann Sherman   January 7, 2016 at 6:18 am

Phony!!!

15. Gene   January 7, 2016 at 2:24 am

Enjoy the show. Hope they can get there health needs taken care of, so they can return to Brown town. Enjoy seeing what there up to next. Take care Brown family

16. Kathy   January 1, 2016 at 8:14 am

Whay can’t the goverment just leave people alone.
    My god thay lost there home in Oregon, because of the goverment, and I know for a fact this can happen there, because I had a good friend that the state of Oregon did the same thing to. He came home and the place was burnt to the ground.
    Thay lost there one home in Alaska because of people being JURKS. They work hard witch is more then I can say for most people in the lower 48. and thay do a good job at the work thay do.
    At least there not coming to America ilegall, or trying to blow up somthing or somone.
    Leave them alone, let them be themselves, If this is the way Alaska is going to treat there people, I won’t be going there like I planed to, and I know someother people that will fill the same way I do once I tell them what the state of Alaska is doing to people.

17. bruce   December 16, 2015 at 1:32 pm

My gosh they stole from those who truly deserved the money. Why is their any discussion?

18. judy   December 10, 2015 at 3:29 pm

Good grief leave them alone and back off. They are hard working people and are honest . Isn’t there anyone else that is a real crook ? Like welfare fraud?

19. Teddy   December 2, 2015 at 10:04 am

God believers , I know no family that would do what they do as far as living in bush . They work hard, so they fudged a little. No harm , they could all be in welfare line.
    Maybe Obama’s family could do the same in November 2016!!!!!!!!! Look at how much this family cost us tax payers……………….

20. Robinheath   November 15, 2015 at 10:59 am

This is a great series .. A family living their own lives the way they choose .. Outside mainstream .. Corrupt .. Greedy … And violent .. There are far more Americans robbing money from govt than this family .. Good luck the Browns ..

21. Tina Patterson   November 13, 2015 at 10:27 pm

I love the Brown family . They r loving n believe in God.

22. Frank   November 7, 2015 at 1:45 pm

Money and jealousy ruin everyone and everything ! The more I here of people the less I like people! Leave the Browns be! They share their life with us . MORE

23. Patty. Niten   November 7, 2015 at 10:34 am

I really like the show.i am always interested in people living a life different from most people. I think the show is great.you can’t be lazy and live their lifestyle.everything they do is harder than regular peoples daily lives.you can’t be lazy in the bush and survive.girls that get the brown boys are giong tone very lucky

24. pfd reciever   November 4, 2015 at 10:25 pm

then why do they not go after all the people that spend their winters outside Alaska at their winter homes in Arizona?? I don’t think anyone who leaves Alaska in the winters should get the PFD! They come back one time for a weekend and that requalifies them is just BS..
    Give it to those of us that don’t have second homes and actually spend our full time and money here in alaska

• Eric GF   November 12, 2015 at 3:10 pm

Dear pfd receiver,

The article states that to get the PFD you need to reside in state for 181 days. The 72 hours (long weekend) allowance is stated as for students (ie going to college out of state) or people in the military (ie serving abroad). There are probably other exceptions such as taking care of sick parents or other medical health reasons.

But if you don’t believe that people should be allowed to winter in a warmer place, well that’s another issue.

The article seems to be written a year ago unless it is a typo because the comments are all rather new. If it really is old then I hope Beth Balen can give an update.

25. John Doe   September 27, 2015 at 3:22 pm

It’s very interesting that this supposed family living in the alaskan bush are on tv and yet nobody seems to be finding anything about them as to several questions that people wondered about. Something isn’t right. And give me a break, owning a large boat they are supposedly living in,you have any idea how much fuel cost plus insurance?

26. Debbie Pearce   September 19, 2015 at 6:17 pm

Dear Billy, Ami and family.some people can be down right rude and as Valerie says jealous. My family and I wish you all the best, it is just one of those bumps in the road you will prevail.

27. SisterLilli Gower Wingate McAllister   September 15, 2015 at 11:54 am

I AGREE SHEILA AND ANGELA

28. Big Dan   September 12, 2015 at 3:28 pm

They are frauds. They do not live like a pack of wolves. They live in a luxury lodge in the village of Hoonah Alaska when they are not filming this stupid show. I hope they make them pay it all back and prevent them from ever getting another one. They all also got busted by the Alaska state troopers this spring for providing false information when applying for fishing/hunting licenses.

29. Valerie Anthony   September 4, 2015 at 12:06 pm

Who ever reported them was probably jealous about there new found popularity, and wanted to cause them trouble. Wouldn’t be the first time someone caused trouble over jealously. Really, after all this time you think the Browns would do something stupid to make themselves look bad on TV. They know they would get caught.

30. Shiela   August 19, 2015 at 11:15 am

I would be looking at the person that reported these years. How would they know? Was it someone they had contact with during that time and has a grudge? Anyway it should all come out at the hearing. My prayers to the family.

31. Gene   August 5, 2015 at 5:29 pm

I missed the last teo episodes. Will they be replayed?

32. B . RANSFORD   August 4, 2015 at 2:37 pm

THERE IS ALWAYS SOMEONE LOOKING TO “GET” SOMEONE MAINLY FOR THE PUBLICITY I BELIEVE. IF THEY DID SOMETHING WRONG, HAVE THEM PAY THE MONEY BACK THEN LET THEM ALONE. NONE OF THEM ARE CRIMINALS. THE POLITICIANS ARE WAY TOO MUCH WORSE THAN THE BROWNS ARE. I LOVE THE SHOW VERY MUCH.

33. David   August 1, 2015 at 3:20 pm

Did they ever go too court? What was the outcome? I like the show

34. Todd saunders   July 26, 2015 at 7:49 pm

Well, many months later, they are still doing the show. These charges don’t appear to suggest high crimes to me, but they don’t even appear to be well-founded. The Browns are who they are, and they are real, in all of their complexities. Reality is much cooler than fiction any day. Even if all of the innuendo and aspersions the “theorists” are casting is true, that makes it even cooler. This is my kind of TV, and my kind of family. Thanks for this Discovery Channel.

35. Todd   July 24, 2015 at 2:03 pm

Noah is the biggest pussy I have ever seen, I hope he reads this and comes to boston, fake cane u cunt

• Vicki   July 25, 2015 at 1:09 pm

wow what the hell is your problem. Mommy didn’t breast feed you enough. Prick.

• Nick   July 27, 2015 at 10:02 pm

I bet gabe would whoop your a s s!! Hahaha

36. c.porter   July 24, 2015 at 5:30 am

Why can’t people just leave them alone…they have enough bad luck without any help from jealous nasty neighbors!!

37. chuck k   July 19, 2015 at 9:04 pm

probably their neighbor….

38. Saltylady66   July 18, 2015 at 9:31 am

There is no mention of where they spent the time away from Alaska… I had heard that they also do not live in the wilds of Alaska but on 5 acres close to another home who has been bothered by helicopters filming… FIVE acres is hardly enough to call it “Browntown” and in the wilds of Alaska.. I still enjoy the show but these facts bother me a lot….

39. Lonnie Daugherty   July 17, 2015 at 11:45 pm

I love this show. My question would be who and what self serving person turned them in???

40. Jo-ann sanchez   July 17, 2015 at 9:12 pm

Gosh people,let the Browns be happy there not hurting anyone there just living how they want..as soon as people come out on tv people run to say dirt on people people need to look out for there self..

41. martin   July 17, 2015 at 7:32 pm

Oh good grief. If you are really buying into to this manufactured tv, please raise your standards. These people are not reality. My biggest issue is how poorly these so called “bush people” can’t even hold a rifle or shotgun properly. Protip: Take the scope cover off your rifle if you seriously intend to hit your target. Ugh. Please use some common sense. You are being lied too.

42. Pat Roller   July 15, 2015 at 5:10 pm

These people have grit & this is how they choose,most could not even cary there water. Believe nothing you hear & only half of what you see.God Bless the Brown family.

43. Diana   July 13, 2015 at 8:44 pm

How very sad…..I’m sure Ami’s “mother” had something to
    do with this.

44. Chris   July 13, 2015 at 9:56 am

Jealousy is a dangerous beast. I would be curious as to the ‘tipster’. As the other commenter posed, I question if Ami’s ‘family’ isn’t liable for these charges.

45. Truman   July 3, 2015 at 6:11 pm

“out-of-state fraud tip prompted an investigation” I wonder if Ami’s family had anything to do with this fraud tip. The most recent episode had her family doing a welfare check on her even though she left home when 17.

46. Geraldine Carol Fenton   July 2, 2015 at 4:45 pm

sickening! Every time a family or any good person is trying to do well or better themselves there is always someone coming along to try to drag them down. I bet the do gooder who is after them is a democrat who claims to be for the poor people.. Why don’t you leave them alone and let them live? You know they are not the kind of people who would intentionally fraud someone yet you want to give them a bad name and a record and cost them grief and money, You are no good!!! I hope whoever is causing this grief gets it back 10 fold over!!

47. Lisa Kay   June 30, 2015 at 3:48 am

Mike, the trials have been postponed again until Jan. of 2016.

48. Mike   June 29, 2015 at 8:31 am

Date on article was Oct 2014, what happened??

49. Nathan   June 27, 2015 at 5:26 am

I wander where they were living over 180days a year at? I love the show and the browns

50. Linda Rainbolt   June 26, 2015 at 8:09 pm

I wait all week for that one show. I love the entire family. Oh that I were young enough to be in on the matchmaking fun. No question I would choose Gabriel as he is the sweetest. strongest and easiest to get along with. I hope he finds a wonderful match.

51. Jackie R.   June 24, 2015 at 10:49 pm

I love the show, you have to look further than just outside appearances. Guys keep up the good work and don’t let haters discourage you. They have good family values and beliefs. If any disbelievers can do a better job of living in the bush…prove it, and maybe they’ll make a show of you.

52. Lynn. Johnson   June 22, 2015 at 10:34 pm

Dentist for all. Really especially Snowbirds front tooth. And make a shower. I know they can Noah did a great job on that one but I would run more pipeline with holes. Hey just my opinion.

53. Deb Gerard   June 22, 2015 at 10:30 pm

Dentist recommended for all them.

54. Kenneth mcguire   June 17, 2015 at 2:18 pm

I’ve watched one show I can’t believe it’s still on . Discovery you can make better tv

55. Nicky L   June 17, 2015 at 9:26 am

Too bad they didn’t use any of that money to fix their daughter’s teeth

56. Mary Roberts   June 13, 2015 at 5:47 pm

For Pete’s sake! If they made a mistake, whether accidentally or intentional, give them a chance to make it right. We all deserve that chance!

57. Bob Hartman   June 13, 2015 at 9:12 am

I recommend a good dentist!

58. Emma   June 12, 2015 at 10:34 pm

I think everyone makes bad choices for what ever reason and I think they may have to but it doesnt make them bad people I commend them for what they stand for and for the way they live at least their happy leave them alone

59. Lisa   June 12, 2015 at 10:12 pm

These people have had it hard enough, leave them alone.

60. Anthony H.   June 12, 2015 at 7:37 pm

I think that the Brown family is a absolute joke to people who actually can and do survive in a situation like they claim to be in. Discovery channels trailer is probably raided daily for food by those fools. I have seen wilderness shows on Discovery that clearly show people who thrive and survive the Alaskan ways and do not disgrace the States beauty. Bill Brown is a fraud .

61. Belle   June 10, 2015 at 9:32 am

Somehow the Discovery Channel seems to have missed this part of the “Bush People” story. Now that the boys are looking for wives, it should be amusing to see them get married behind bars. Too bad these “cute and clever” people turned out to be sideshow frauds.

62. Marie   June 8, 2015 at 11:24 am

Maybe they can barter with some Cariboo meat? To pay their fines?

63. SamuelAdamsFan   June 6, 2015 at 6:19 am

They’re not going to have $50,000 to pay a fine. Maybe they could cut some wood or catch some fish?

64. Lucella Thetis Bennett   June 2, 2015 at 10:51 am

How Sad for my favorite T.V family. I agree law enforcement people, leave them alone! After watching their show I have this amazing urge to move to Brown town my dang self. 20 years of living in a city is 20 years to many. I would love to experience the freedom this family has of being in the bush.

65. Freddie   May 30, 2015 at 10:26 am

Thank goodness the new show started last nite love the show please everyone leave these people alone they have it hard enough . They are law abiding citizens just need to take care of that problem . I know someone who lives in the south gets his money with no problem hardly ever goes back just now and then nothing is being done to him strange these people are being bothered . This state should be proud how these people are showing Alaska at its best and worst good advertising for there state.

66. judykay119   May 29, 2015 at 6:23 pm

If something is wrong, let them fix it

• Judy Daines   May 30, 2015 at 10:31 am

I agree! Let them fix it, if they are in the wrong its their business. I personally like this show.

67. judykay119   May 29, 2015 at 6:20 pm

Good people (would love to know more about them) such as schooling, have they ever met their extended family?…keep this show on, we really love a real show….

68. Freddie   May 20, 2015 at 8:08 am

So glad the Brown family will be back on at the end of this month these people have had enough grief in there life and while trying to live in Alaska. I would like to see the records of others there who go and come for other reasons. I hope the Discovery channel will take care of this to secure there filming that so many people enjoy watching. I know someone who lives out of Alaska just goes back now and then receives a check when it is time for it being sent to his address where he is living out of Alaska what is wrong with this picture? They need a attorney to clear this up from someone being jealous of there good luck filming . Alaska stop this foolishness trying to hurt these people , they have built enough homes with jealous people burning them out there they deserve a break give them one

69. Missy   May 19, 2015 at 6:26 pm

I think that they are just picking on them because of there new fame! Shame on the Alaskan. Gov. Back off and let this family live in peace! May God be with the Browns. From Va.

70. Freddie   May 11, 2015 at 5:36 pm

Thank goodness they are returning this month missed them hope they have better luck this time than they had . They are former Texans from Fort Worth list all his family in a private airplane crash not sure what age they was very well know business people I am sure had money not sure what happened with there estate for him . He is not stupid by any means . Best of luck Brown. Family

71. Diane   May 10, 2015 at 3:34 pm

It has always been the American dream to break away and start fresh
    If the state wants / needs the money since the show is growing in popularity make
    a deal with the Browns accountant and work it out
    I have seen worst shows that show less family values
    Good luck to all parties involved

72. utah15   April 19, 2015 at 4:49 am

The Brown Family could not be more Alaskan and have done more to promote Alaska than the folks pursuing them.

The State of Alaska owes the Brown Family money for promoting tourism and
    the great state of Alaska.

The bureaucrats that behind this nonsense should be fired.

The State’s actions are suspect and disappointing.

73. Rocco Hardy   April 12, 2015 at 11:13 pm

leave them alone they are goodwill for Alaska

74. muriel anderson   April 11, 2015 at 10:23 am

leave the people the hell alone!!!

75. Annie   April 5, 2015 at 4:23 pm

What about Matt? Why is he out of it?
    BTW I love the family, hope they do well and have new shoes to watch

76. patriotic   April 2, 2015 at 12:48 am

What’s the problem? No problem..the state of Alaska received much free publicity, enticing visitors to the state..all is triviality….Bet if some of the lawmakers, etc in Alaska . were looked into, would open up everyones eyes to the real meaning of fraud…This must be an Obama kind of tactic…Do an indepth independent check on his and others connected to him whether or not their are any discrepancies.

77. Amanda   March 29, 2015 at 12:53 pm

Why send them to jail? Just to waste more money? If found guilty why not just make them pay back the 13,000?There’s tax fraud all over this country, they are not the first.

78. Paul   March 28, 2015 at 7:58 pm

Just leave them alone.didn’t like them at first,but after reading all of this now I do,leave them alone not hurting no one but themselves not you.find something to do with all your lives

79. Kenneth   March 28, 2015 at 5:47 am

This is not a family, it is a clan, right out of “deliverance” Naming your kids Merry Christmas Catherine Brown” – snowbird, Raindrop ? When the boys get a bad tooth, they pull it with pliers ? Come on !!!! The old man and his wife should be locked up !

• Lori Jo   March 28, 2015 at 11:50 am

Locked up?? Because they are all happy with their lives? Not materialistic?? Because they don’t care what other people think about their appearance? Because they are content with and proud of who they are as human beings? Because they are stronger and more resilient and more capable of survival under difficult circumstances than most people are?? Any of those adult children can freely and legally leave the bush and leave the family and start their own lives elsewhere if they wanted to. Yet they are still with the family even though it means great sacrifice in OUR eyes. In their eyes…seems to me they truly believe that THEY live the good life…and it is their choice. More power to them!

• Echo   March 28, 2015 at 12:53 pm

really? maybe you should do a search of the unusual names of kids today? hell just do a search of unusual names, period…… i know readers digest did a story years ago about names, Ima and Ura Hogg, someone named their daughter Snow because their last name was White and then there was the one whose last name was Potts. a girl named Moon last name Beam, a guy named Blue last name Waters the list goes on and on.
      seems to me that i remember a article about a convention for people with unusual names being held somewhere.

and there are plenty of people who resort to using pliers to pull a tooth. my x pulled more than a couple of his that way!

• Echo   March 28, 2015 at 12:55 pm

about the Potts name, forgot to say that the girls first name was Flower.

• Annie   April 5, 2015 at 4:20 pm

the Judge in Harzard, Ky, was named F. Bird Hogg, He named his daughters, Ima and Ura

• Echo   April 5, 2015 at 9:40 pm

yep, i mentioned them. 🙂

80. Freddie McPherson   March 26, 2015 at 10:53 am

Gee I keep reading these comments , for those who question any of this show and its boats lol you have to watch each show to understand about these different boats . These people have had no good luck so far , just one thing after the other . This family never looses hope no matter how bad things get , they just keep getting up fighting all this bad luck . They are a good family for people to watch if they think they have had bad luck wonder just how many people could pick up and go for a another new life moving hundreds of miles to achieve there goals. Do not say bad things about this family until you have lived there lives. Hope there show is not dropped .

81. lyndall canter   March 25, 2015 at 9:37 pm

I know just how many days i spend out of my state each year. That withstanding I hope this proves to be false

82. tom carter   March 24, 2015 at 12:00 am

How about the boat Osprey? They abandon the Tolly Craft and continue in the Osprey, Next thing you know they no longer have the Osprey, and the only boat they have is the abandon TollTally Craft, but the Tally Craft had two blown engines when they abandon it ?

83. Tyia R. Brown (no relation)   March 23, 2015 at 11:50 am

I don’t care if this is real it is still one of the best show’s for family viewing no cussing no X rated anything to have to contend with and do any of u know how many days we have spent out side of our state when we have things to get done. hope they can get this taken care of and move on. looking forward to watching more of it next season. GOT IT PRODUCERS.

84. JUDY CLEVELAND   March 21, 2015 at 6:43 pm

UNTILL PROVEN????????

85. Lori Jo Trautman   March 21, 2015 at 6:53 am

Va…I like your comment. I watch the show faithfully and what you say is true. I never even considered that this show is truly “watcher friendly” and for all ages. I hope this all works out for them. I do not yet know their side of story regarding these charges…maybe I have missed that if it has been reported. But I believe in innocent until proven guilty. I will wait to hear the final testimony and outcome before changing my opinion of this unique and very close knit family. How many families are there out there that wish they could be even half as close and supportive of each other as the Brown family is? That part of the show is inspirational in itself.

86. Va   March 16, 2015 at 1:48 pm

I agree the family is at least showing some unity, which most other shows lack! There is no sex scenes, F Bombs, or content that is inappropriate for young tweens to watch. Hunting is a part of alot of peoples lives and if that offends you then turn to one of the other hundreds of other shows on cable you can watch. Go Browns!!!!!!!!!!!!!

87. Echo Moon   March 13, 2015 at 11:01 am

ya know i really like Discovery, Nat Geo and those type of channels/shows. but some one them??? are either total fairy tales or totally lack entertainment values. i think you were talking about the honey boo boo show? if so i totally and 100% agree, then there is swamp people and turtle man those are the other 2 that come to mind. i watched a little of those 2 and that was enough of that….

88. Freddie McPherson   March 12, 2015 at 9:31 pm

Moon is correct these people will work through the problem in Alaska maybe they just miss counted how many days they may have been out of the state . Mr Brown stated he use to work off shore on boats going to other countries this could possible be the problem . Surely the state allows for a mans job out of state like that . We really do not need to worry how they will solve this , I believe the Discovery Channel will take care of this problem as the Brown,s are very popular have great ratings they want them to continue the shows. Better than that stupid bunch in Georgia living the most ignort life I have ever seen booboo Bear or what ever they called it. Let’s leave these people alone let them entertain us in Alaskan style, I love to see Alaska this way I will never be able to make a trip to see all of this. Thanks Discovery Channel keep up the good work and help the Browns out of there problems.

89. Echo Moon   March 12, 2015 at 6:58 pm

just got done reading the previous comments and all i can say is ‘wow’! there are some really nasty judgmental people here.
    if you think that the show is so fake? why even bother to watch it? turn your channel and watch something else.
    if you actually believe that any of these reality shows are real? then “you” have some serious mental problems and need help.
    do ‘i’ think the show is all that real to life? no, but then i guess i’m not as gullible as the nasty commenters here are.
    do i believe that some of the show is real? yep, i do. but i also think a lot of it is blown out of proportions but i think the basics are real.
    don’t you think that for even one minute that Discovery Channel and the producers haven’t pressured the Browns to act the way they do for ratings and “holy crap” reactions? then you had better think again.
    the show is as real as the Channel and producers are going to allow. but it is a shame that they pushed the family into seeming like most of them had mental problems.
    i liked the show and i liked the Browns. i hope that they have more episodes.

and i hope the Browns come out on top of the lawsuits!!!

90. David   March 8, 2015 at 6:41 pm

How can they keep the children out of school?

• Echo Moon   March 8, 2015 at 7:05 pm

they home schooled them.

91. Echo Moon   March 7, 2015 at 4:42 pm

is there any other news as to how the court date turned out???

just watched all the episodes on my laptop and really enjoyed it.

92. sandy   March 4, 2015 at 9:31 am

it was only suppose to be a short show showing 57 days of billys book….discoveru has pretty much done away with all things brown..they have reruns on the 8th an the 15th

93. Ruth Smith   March 2, 2015 at 7:32 am

I love to watch the Alaskan bush people. I watched it last night again 3-1-15 . Now I guess they will be taking it off the air. I am wondering if it will return and when ??? My two favorite shows are Alaskan Bush People & Alaska Last Frontier. I will never make it to Alaska but love watching these people and how they live .I was raised on a farm hard work but wouldn’t trade it for anything. So let us have these shows ,at least we aren’t watching murdering people and drugs and etc . Just good clean entertainment. Bring it back PLEASE.!!

94. cats42301   March 1, 2015 at 9:39 pm

Richie did Discovery send you an inventory of their tools?

95. Richie   February 28, 2015 at 1:22 pm

Build a house without a level, give me a break

• robert delk   March 12, 2015 at 5:26 pm

You know, I have heard alot of gossip and angry people about the browns in alaska. I read the article about an out of state person calling the alaska revenue office and all they said was the browns were not in alasks for more than 180 days and that’s the way alaska does things, I guess. Here let’s call the revenue guy and tell hI’m that sarah pellie , theor ex governor in alaska, was out of alaska for 7 to 8 months and that shod make her ineligible to be alaska governor, because after 180 days, your considered a non resident of alaska, basically same crap as the browns. I think revenue department in alaska, needs to go after the alaskan dead beat dad’s that flock to alaska, so they don’t have to pay child sup port to there kids and revenue office better have really hard evidence that can prove all these allegations against the browns, because if they have an attorney that has balls, this case will be thrown out and the browns will finally have the loaded gin and if their attorney is as God as leads to be, they will file one of the biggest lawsuit in alaska history, all stemming from probalbly a lieing person that’s jealous of the show and figured that if they can verify the person who called the revenue investigator. All the negat I’ve people talking smack about the browns, need to be quiet and have some respect. I really hope that all of this is ai

96. Sharon Gracia   February 27, 2015 at 8:47 pm

I live the life that is so called normal.I am 58.I Earn a hot $30.000 per year.I work from 8:45 AM until 5:30 pm. I stand the whole day walking back and forth all day taking xrays like a slave .If I am caught sitting I am threatenend glared at and sometimes I am told STEP UP YOUR GAME. REMEMBER THERE ARE PLENTY OF APPLICATIONS !Every day we gather to hear the latest goals and how much we need to bring in .Sound like the life the Browns deserve? I get a 30 minute lunch,no 10 minute breaks.No Benefits,No raises ever.No vacation pay. No paid holidays.My Boss lives in a 15 colum newly built extreme Antebellum style Mansion.His 25 Feresian horses live in a $ 160.000 Dollar barn it has chandeliers,Air conditioning and heat .During Christmas my boss who gave me a whole $50.00 gift card after 3 1/2 years.was on his million dollar boat in Florida.My Christmas was ruined for the lack of money.Sound like the Browns deserve this? I took a heart attack Dec 3rd 2014 because of this wonderful normal lifestyle.I have no benefits so 2 days later I went to work Blue lips,palate,and the whites of my eyes were blue.Imy legs felt like they weighed 1000 lbs.I was promised a hot 50 cent raise because of the heart attack I was exhausted. at the end of the day I had to wait for the other employees.I sat for a moment and dozed. It could’nt have been for more than 4 minutes.Co workers saw me they took my picture and sent it to my Supervisor I lost the raise and was written up.Sound like the Browns deserve this GREAT AMERICAN DREAM.Oh yeah sounds dreamy.They are trying not to work until the day they die.only to give a wonderful future for the Corporate scumbags.AKA EMPLOYERS and there oh so deserving children.GOD BLESS THEM .STAY FREE Mr Brown or come see me I have a wonderful American dream for your girls.I can even train them.Then they too can wish they were never born just like me.

• tim   February 28, 2015 at 3:22 am

Very compelling, very well said, sorry for your difficulties. I as well struggle just to get by from day to day the one difference is I am a slave to Christ. My future is rich and it’s with Him in Glory. The Browns represent a freedom many of us can’t have now but can have soon.

• For real   March 3, 2015 at 7:15 pm

Sounds liKe you need a new job! And a new life…. You also need.Physiatrist !

97. Bill   February 26, 2015 at 5:10 pm

I think the brown family is all mentally challenged! The one boy bear has adhd for real who runs around like that rolling all over the ground and stuff. And Noah thinks he is a genius? Did he even graduate? Did any of them ever see a school? And do they brush their teeth? Um brown family the human race came out of the woods and caves about 20 million years ago! Its time for u guys to let your children know there is more to offer in the world then bears and deer!

• Freddie McPherson   February 27, 2015 at 5:04 am

Gee Bill give them a break they are making a movie they all have been home schooled with the last one going through now. I know plenty of children home schooled finished college in great jobs today . There life is not for me not everyone is made for the same things let them enjoy there freedom if that is how they want to live most families lived that way many years ago yours did also. They do brush there teeth cut there hair take baths you must not watch this show regularly. This is how America was started with Indians living under the same conditions did you study history? If they like that it’s there business not yours turn your channel to something else. I would not live like that although I enjoy seeing all the wild life and Alaska I will never go there . Let those of us who enjoy seeing Alaska in the raw continue to see this.

98. Freddie McPherson   February 24, 2015 at 11:24 am

This is ridicules I have watched this show as long as it has been on., it appears these people have had to move around in Alaska due to people not liking the filming crew . These people are ignort for resenting this family making a home there . They are not hurting anyone but gives us out siders a way to see how rustic Alaska really is and how hard it is to live there. I admire them no way would I give up my life to lead such a hard life leave these people alone let them live there lives in peace they are great God fearing people. They make great movie material those bothering them are just jealous.

99. pileof64   February 24, 2015 at 5:44 am

Don’t worry. They are “in town” more often then you think. Ever seen five hungry boys eat. Probably go thru 75 lbs of food a week. Where are they storing all of this stuff. Holes in the grown?

100. muneshadowe   February 20, 2015 at 6:10 pm

And how many illegals has Washington allowed across the southern border of this nation getting full boat benefits?

101. Arlene ellis   February 20, 2015 at 4:42 pm

Love them

102. Barbara Stock   February 20, 2015 at 9:51 am

Doesn’t look like they have much to me. At least they are legal Americans and not illegal aliens. Leave them alone.

103. Brian Reynolds   February 20, 2015 at 5:50 am

if they get convicted so should the other 80% of the other people who claim this money.

104. Cindy   February 8, 2015 at 2:19 pm

I think Discovery would have more worthy programming than following a family that at best is “living the life off the grid” as Discovery would want you to believe. I find it hard to believe the Brown family is not being compensated and enjoying their celebrity status.

105. Deborah   February 8, 2015 at 7:05 am

The program “Alaskan Bush People” is very refreshing!!!!! The Brown’s appear to be good people just trying to raise their family the natural way, away from greed and the hustle bustle of the city. If I was 20 years younger I would give up everything I have in the lower 48 and moved to Alaska and live like the Browns. If any member of the Brown family is reading this……. Don’t let any negative remarks you read from ignorant people bother you, and live your dream!

106. Jolly Green   February 6, 2015 at 9:41 pm

Wow!! Doesn’t everyone like to the finger. To all who bash the Browns get a life. Stop complaining over wither it’s false or not does it really matter as long as it entertains you. And what evidence do you have that they were not in Alaska especially if they live in the bush. Plus I don’t know about you but there some dam good actors that I’ve never seen before if it’s fake. For those comparing the Browns to other Alaskans are you a frontier Alaskan? Has anyone met them in person if not stop judging. All I see is people attacking them with opinions not fact’s. If you live in the wilderness or all for most of your life don’t you think it would be hard to track wither they were in the state or not I mean its not like they have an permanent address with mailbox outside their front door lol!!

107. Gus   February 6, 2015 at 8:03 am

It is tv escapism at its best

108. M.Lipani   February 2, 2015 at 5:03 am

Also on last nights show the 2 oldest boys who lived on a fishing boat with their Father since they were young got lost on the water because they did not know how to figure out the tides,(Father Brown said it right on television). I don’t live there and I knew enough to say how bad they are and how fast they move in and out. If you are a true fisherman in Alaska these would be things you would learn right away. Don’t take us for such fools, please as for the Brown’s they have already made fools out of themselves.

109. tim   February 2, 2015 at 1:49 am

Wow I guess when your to soft to chase real bad guys this is who you pick on. I could of cared less about Alaska and knew little about it until I started watching the brown family on discovery. If anything they should be paid for putting Alaska in the spot light. Let them barter it off and leave them be.

110. Wendy   February 1, 2015 at 5:27 pm

Hey to each there own sounds like Jennifer has to stop And look at her life
    Think it’s great Birdie .can shot any women should know how to use a gun. Love the show and good luck to the family

111. Sasha   February 1, 2015 at 3:56 pm

The Browns are a refreshing change from the current, disgusting TV family, Fartdashians.
    I love the Browns — they are a wonderful example of what FAMILY, faith and togetherness means. Not sure many of us have slept in 20 below temps, killed our own food, or pulled our own teeth out with pliers.

• M. Lipani   February 2, 2015 at 4:35 am

Are you kidding me, you must not get out much, this family is a joke. They make Real Alaskan people look bad, watch the Kilcher family who have lived on family land in Alaska for over 80 years they know what they are doing they know how to prepare for harsh winters and they don’t put their family members in jeopardy everyday beacuse they are running from someone and can’t live in society. They let there childrens teeth rott out and are on the border of starvation several times, this at one point or time could have been child abuse when the girls were younger. I can’t believe anyone would hold them up as good honest hard working people they are lazy and pitifull liars. The parents send their children out to kill and bring home food and also the majority of the work is done by the kids. Sorry, pitiful, pitiful human beings, shame on the Brown family

112. s. holbrook   February 1, 2015 at 12:50 pm

I really like the show. I couldn’t live like that, but I like watching how it’s done.

113. Jennifer   January 26, 2015 at 9:37 am

They are not self sufficient like the other Alaska shows, living on their own. Instead of an outhouse they should have been preparing for winter. A smoke house, clearing land for crops. If they have to rely on a 20 year old girl to bring home the “bacon” for nine people they’re screwed. They have no business being anywhere but town. This is entertainment for stupid screw ups on each of them. And very bad teeth!

• M.Lipani   February 2, 2015 at 4:37 am

AMEN!!!!! Love your comment!!

114. Jesse LeMay   January 24, 2015 at 3:24 pm

If they are guilty then they should pay for it. As for the show its fake. This weeks episode was about “getting meat”. The oldest girl shot a deer which was great. But what about Gabe who “missed” his shot. Kind of hard to kill a deer with a rifle when your scope cap is closed and you cant see the target. Then they didnt even know to process the meat by removing fat and connecting tissue. It all set up for TV. Pretty stupid.

115. s.lambert   January 19, 2015 at 10:08 pm

i happen to like the browns and i like the show any body who doesnt change it , as far as money they need it just like the others who get it and if they didnt live in the state they sure didnt flim it in texas , dumm…how stupid can u get .

116. D. Caruso   January 18, 2015 at 5:07 pm

Last I heard Alaska is in the United States of America, where you are innocent until proven guilty. Any fool who thinks reality shows are real needs to consider buying some investment property in the Florida everglades. I like the Browns and wish tem well.

117. Patricia   January 17, 2015 at 4:58 pm

I also live in Alaska like them. They are nothing but frauds. They even filmed near me saying it was the bush. That was a flat out lie. They suckered you people in. It is just a staged show. They say we ran them off. B.S. They just didn’t have our support on their lies. The show pas them. Why should it be any different for them to get away with fraud when others face the same consequences.

118. arlenedennyhall   January 15, 2015 at 1:39 pm

I enjoy the Brown’s and if they have charges against them, leave it to the law enforcement..If they buy needed tools, Bravo is certainly giving them money…Those old boats they buy aren’t worth much in the open market..No yachts by any means! We know there are camera men around so they aren’t alone…If you can’t enjoy the show and enjoy their hard work, caveman survival tactics, change the channel or just watch the scenery!Go Alaska shows….Arlenedennyhall…Calif.

119. Helen   January 11, 2015 at 5:26 pm

I would like for all you ppl out there to take your kids out in the cold with no heat and still see how close that family is. Can you say that about your family. Not to many ppl can say that they have that love and closeness. As for the money they say the Browns took. How much money does your state give to ppl who try to live alone with only your kids. With not a lot of income. I would like to be able to talk to them and ask them questions to see how they are. Not just watch the TV. They seem like good ppl

120. Belle   January 11, 2015 at 3:24 pm

In addition to the money they are getting from the production studio/film makers.

121. sacrbh   January 11, 2015 at 2:06 pm

there not living completly off the grid $16,965.00 to buy gas tools food and what every they might need. to do what there doing.

122. larry   January 10, 2015 at 1:45 pm

they need yo be prosicuted to full extent of the law. how about their osprey boat? its probably worth about 100,000.00 dollars! how about the tolly craft they left behind? new chainsaw, guns, money for the land, food. are they living off the rest of alaskans?

123. Belle   January 9, 2015 at 1:27 pm

Where did they live prior to 2010? They say they have “always lived in the wild”. If they left Alaska, where did they go and, more importantly, how? I believe the state of Alaska has done their homework, and it leaves me pretty disappointed in this ” wild family”. I thought they had no use for money. Apparently they will do anything for money except work.b

• Bev   January 10, 2015 at 7:07 am

Good point! But what was the outcome, obviously they haven’t been convicted. And has anyone noticed Matt has more upper teeth this season??

124. tbone1926   January 9, 2015 at 12:36 pm

Where else would they move to another state with no money..all they have is a boat…so if the state is probably making this up..they just don’t want to pay people.

125. Petra Cornell   January 5, 2015 at 9:50 pm

Kema Murph… You are thinking of Billy Clyde Tuggle the pimp on All My Children played by Matthew Cowles. Matthew Cowles died in May of 2014.

126. Richard   January 3, 2015 at 9:33 pm

If they was black, living in a ghetto, claiming all kinds of crap to get government money, that would be fine.

127. Hope   January 2, 2015 at 11:05 pm

No, you have it wrong. Similar in looks, but that guy died already. He was 69.

128. kema murph   January 1, 2015 at 5:21 pm

Billy Brown used to play in the soap opera – all my children known as aka ( billy ), he was the pimp who had donna as his hooker and she was in love with chuck a doctor who then she married but billy blackmailed her for money to keep her past a secret.

129. Barbara   January 1, 2015 at 11:28 am

Where were they supposed to have lived?

130. ed   December 27, 2014 at 7:53 am

if the browns rec any money at all they should try seeing a dentist for sure snowbird ……..

131. Beaulieu   December 27, 2014 at 5:13 am

Who runs thru the Alaskan bush wearing black leather jackets!! Bunch of idiots, so fake! Looking for anybody to fund their way of life……free rides for the whole family! Not impressed!

132. Elizabeth   December 24, 2014 at 11:01 am

This family is pathetic in their efforts to seem ‘wild’. They seem more like con artists to me. How much is the network paying them for their series?
    They also try much too hard to justify their way of life and seem very defensive about it. Maybe it’s because they’re such losers they couldn’t make it in a civilized society. (I enjoy some of the Alaska shows, but in most of them that same defensiveness is present and if they are so at home there, why do they need to try to convince the viewers that theirs is a better way of life? Each to his own.
    The one who climbs trees really thinks his weird antics are admirable? They seem rather retarded to me. These parents have raised children who will likely not fit into everyday society anywhere and that’s sad.

133. Don   December 24, 2014 at 8:07 am

I don’t know what it is about these people …but not just because the live and move so much in the wild. There is just somthing wrong with this family. It seems that there is more to this family than meets the eye…

134. Bev Nelson   November 16, 2014 at 5:42 pm

So does anyone know what happened on Nov.4th in court???

• Beth Balen   November 16, 2014 at 7:23 pm

According to Alaska Courtview the case is still open.