Jennifer Love Hewitt Haters Put On Blast by ‘Criminal Minds’ Joe Mantegna

hewitt
Criminal Minds lead actor Joe Mantegna is putting the haters of new series regular Jennifer Love Hewitt on blast, informing them that they need to stop calling her the replacement of fan favorite Page Brewster, who left the show at the end of the seventh season. The actor took to Facebook last week to address the issue, telling fans that Hewitt is the replacement of Brewster’s replacement over two seasons ago, and that she needs to be treated as such and not be subject to so much ridicule. Hewitt replaced veteran actress Jeanne Tripplehorn, who played the role of SSA Alex Blake throughout seasons eight and nine.

The post detailed Mantegna’s claims that if viewers wanted to know if Brewster’s role as SSA Emily Prentiss would be making a comeback, to tune into the first episode of season 10. He also stated that if they wanted to know the reason behind her decision regarding re-entering the show, they should again watch the aforementioned episode. The reason behind Mantegna’s comment relates to the fact that the situation was addressed in the newest season’s opening episode, when one of the character’s makes the comment that Prentiss will not be returning from her work in the London officer to join them on their latest string of BAU adventures.

Mantegna’s Facebook update comes three weeks after the premiere of the show’s 10th season, in which newcomer Hewitt was first introduced. This new casting appointment was frowned upon by many even before the debut of the new season, with fans feeling that the former Ghost Whisperer star did not in any way fit in with the rest of the cast or its credibility. References were made to this being the second time that Brewster’s role has been filled by someone other than her, and diehard Prentiss fans attacked the CBS network for not listening to their wishes and bringing the original actress back to refill her spot.

They voiced their distaste for the new cast member via social network updates, stating their opinion that the show has never been the same since Brewster left for good at the end of season seven (she was first dropped from the cast at the end of the show’s sixth season, but reinstated not long afterwards.) Brewster herself gave an interview to TV Guide earlier this year informing her fans that, while she is happy to guest star on an occasional episode, she has no intentions of ever returning full-time. Mantegna has also shared the link to this interview via his Facebook to try to better convince people that it just is not going to happen, regardless of how bad they want it to.

Some upset viewers took the matter even further and began to harass Hewitt herself, tagging her directly in their Twitter posts stating that she should get off the show immediately because she will never fit in and nobody wants her there. There is even a Twitter account made solely for the purpose of spreading hate for the actress’s new part in Criminal Minds, with their account name even reflecting their disapproval of her as a series regular. The 35-year-old has not responded to any of these aforementioned public slams, choosing rather to focus on her new-found role as a cast-member and enjoy the company of her new co-stars.

It remains to be seen whether Criminal Minds fans will take Joe Mantegna’s advice to accept the loss of Emily Prentiss and leave Jennifer Love Hewitt alone. However, viewers do seem to be exhibiting signs of gradual acceptance of her character Kate Callahan, as last week’s episode focusing on her back story garnered the top spot in ratings for Wednesday night primetime television.

By Rebecca Grace

Facebook
Digital Spy
Enstars
Photo by DJ Andy W – Flickr License

47 Responses to "Jennifer Love Hewitt Haters Put On Blast by ‘Criminal Minds’ Joe Mantegna"

1. [email protected]   December 22, 2015 at 6:31 pm

Got that right

2. [email protected]   December 22, 2015 at 6:20 pm

Get rid of Jessica Parker. Nobody wants her. She’s a has been.

3. Keanamalia   May 25, 2015 at 10:15 pm

Hope they replace her with Stockard Channing

4. Lisa Elmore   April 15, 2015 at 8:14 pm

I like JLH and wish folks would just grow up! Pages Brewster made the decision to leave the show. She was my fave too, but people move on. Give the girl a chance.

5. bob   April 3, 2015 at 3:26 pm

I have enjoyed hewitts acting on ghost whisperers; never got why she had to wear the stillettos , plunging necklines even at wakes; like honey, put the stuff away; hopefully she is not thrusting breasts on criminal minds; a great, superb show, but no need for another character, Gubler is enough and most annoying. The show is about criminals, not cleavage, thank you.

6. Erol   March 17, 2015 at 10:50 am

she sucks and needs to get off the show before she gets it cancelled

7. LFjohnson   March 2, 2015 at 3:36 am

JLH just don’t sit in the role, and she looks like crap. She look like she had a baby and don’t know what to do with herself and I actually liked her and Ghost Whispers.

8. Caroline   February 27, 2015 at 2:32 am

don’t like her on criminal minds

9. Fred Keyes   February 24, 2015 at 1:22 pm

Love is a good addition although so far they seem to have used her sparingly as an equal member of the team. They’ve also understated her glamorous side compared to Penelope.

10. Donna Mitchell   February 15, 2015 at 6:32 am

I love Jennifer love Hewitt she is beautiful warm funny in every thing she does!

11. b   February 13, 2015 at 1:10 pm

I like her. I think she brings a very warm, light quality to an otherwise horrifying subject. She is like a cross between Emily and Penelope in her level of seriousness so she is a great addition. I am firmly in the “love Love” court.

12. [email protected]   February 5, 2015 at 8:25 pm

I feel she is miscast on Criminal Minds.

13. Xpira   February 1, 2015 at 12:02 pm

I don’t like her on this show! She doesn’t fit in, and she is trying to be all girly, when she is a 40 year old. Her figure looks like she sits on her butt all day long, not like an active FBI agent. What’s with the pink shinny lip gloss? Plus her hair style, like it was chewed up by a rat while she was asleep. What a hot mess!

14. Warren   January 31, 2015 at 6:35 pm

Hippo Hewitt seems distracted and not interested on this show.

15. Karen D   January 31, 2015 at 6:33 pm

She doesn’t bring anything to the show, she’s pretty boring.

16. Steven Kovick   January 30, 2015 at 4:43 pm

I think criminal minds should bring Brewster back and kill her character off like Gedion and then we could read all the posts on how fans petition to bring her back like fans were doing for Beth on walking dead lol.

17. brian   January 29, 2015 at 4:48 am

Its really simple. Hewitt’s character on CM is awful. She was great on Ghost Whisperer for two reasons. First, the show featured her and second, it was a feel good show with an ending each week that left you doing just that, feeling good.

She doesn’t work at all on CM because she isn’t suited to ensemble acting and she is lost among the better ensemble actors.
    We all know she got the job thanks to Erica Messer from their Party of Five time together twenty years ago.

18. Mikey Morfin   January 22, 2015 at 3:03 pm

Jennifer love hewitt is what this show needed. Period.

19. Gail   January 15, 2015 at 11:12 am

Prentiss fit the team – Love-Hewitt does not. I’m sure there’s a show she would be good on (I actually liked ghost whisperer), but this ain’t it. She’s more watchable than J. Triplehorn, but that’s not saying much. I, too, would love to see the return of Emily, but I understand Ms. Brewster doesn’t want to return. It seems to me Jennifer was hired because she can wear low-cut tops well. We’ve lost so many great characters on this show and a few who just didn’t work. The BAU family seemed right with Emily. All the replacement characters thereafter have failed for me and I won’t lie, I have found myself losing some interest. Hope we’re not about to lose JJ again.

20. Linda   December 11, 2014 at 8:40 am

I don’t like her in this part. She seems distant and not really interested in what’s going on in each episode. Aloof may be a better way to put it. She just doesn’t fit the part, in my opinion. I like her as an actress, just not this part.

21. Lily   November 29, 2014 at 4:19 pm

I love her. I just think the writers are not giving her good lines or relevance. She’s a professional. What’s wrong with people criticizing her weight? She looks real… like a pretty normal girl. I’m great on my field and I have a beautiful family. I do not have a perfect body. I’m happy though.

22. pat   November 28, 2014 at 8:04 pm

Her hairdo is horrible. She looks like she is trying to be a streetwise nerd. Her weight gain show alot. Her character does not seem to have a personality.

23. Brittany   November 28, 2014 at 5:42 pm

Honestly, she should stick to her crummy Lifetime movies.

24. copterdoctorndy   November 25, 2014 at 9:22 pm

I’m enjoying her , she (her character) seems a little bit more streetwise than the others who live in an ivory tower -very much enjoying the show year after year . Andy NZ / OZ

25. Louise Gallagher   November 19, 2014 at 6:33 pm

Don’t like her and don’t have to. There has been too many changes for Criminal Minds over the past several years and perhaps it is time to call it a day!

26. Mary   November 19, 2014 at 6:31 pm

Sorry, but her acting style does not mesh with everyone else’s on the show. They have her character come in and (more or less) take over. When others have come on, they waited until they got their feet wet before getting the lines that should go to other cast members. The writers have her (a regular cop) come to the BAU almost in an “all knowing” manner which was wrong for a newcomer. And they should have her following the dress of the other female agents – slacks, button-down shirt , and a blazer. The problem is not so much with Jennifer as it is with executives. They have done a disservice to her, the other characters/actors, and the show. Jennifer did a good job on “Ghost Whisperer,” but as of yet, (with reasons stated before) her character has not done her justice.

27. Tammy S   November 12, 2014 at 8:04 pm

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Jennifer’s looks or acting. I find it disturbing that so many people are so cruel to her. You dont have to like her but you should show a little respect and not be so nasty.

28. Gail   November 11, 2014 at 7:25 pm

Criminal Minds had a great cast with Paget Brewster as Prentiss – she was just the perfect fit. I’ve never seen anything from J. Love-Hewett except a push-up bra (otherwise, she’s not even attractive. Jeanne Triplehorn was a disaster on the show and needed replacing, however….not sure this is the fix we needed. Seems as if they keep trying to put a sex symbol on for good measure. Don’t need that, just someone who can play a believable special agent. Yeah, add me to those who would like to see Prentiss return. Love-Hewett can go back to Lifetime where she belongs. But then again, you’d probably replace her with Alyssa Milano!!!

29. Cindy   November 9, 2014 at 1:31 pm

I still can’t get used to JLH. Her character just seems so forced.

30. Pegi   November 7, 2014 at 6:11 pm

Don’t care for her anymore. I watched her on ghost whisper and loved her but since she went to client list. I lost a lot of respect her.

31. fatalreview   November 7, 2014 at 4:18 pm

how old is that photo she looks nothing like that anymore and of course the udders are shoved up front-didn’t then either it was 12 pounds of make up hair extensions and photoshop-sorry bee-yotch has always been no talent all boobs and D-list

32. Bobby   November 5, 2014 at 8:33 pm

I was skeptical at first, but giving the show and her a chance, I can honestly say I love JLH as a new addition! I think she fits in well and looks stunning! I want to know more of her back story and why she is here! Love love love it all!!

33. GrandmotherOwl   October 25, 2014 at 2:27 pm

I’m getting used to J.L.H. on Criminal Minds, but I have to ask WHY have you allowed your hair stylist to make your hair style (?) look as though it hasn’t been combed or brushed all day? It seems to be a fad, however bad taste it may be, for a lot of the beautiful women such as yourself and A.J. Cook. I think you and she are among the most beautiful as well as the most talented ladies on television these days and hate to see the two of you (and several others) showing up with such (literally) messed up hair! OK. Sorry, but it had to be said by someone!!

34. Robert Young   October 21, 2014 at 5:37 pm

JLH needs to be given a chance,and not blasted after episode one,she actually as Joe Mantegna stated:She replaced Jeanne Tripplehorn,Who I felt was not a good fit,as she wasn’t suited for episodic television.

35. Amy   October 20, 2014 at 7:40 pm

Mantegna as her defender strikes me as ironic given that I find him to be an awkward over actor vastly overshadowed in the role of the wise, aged profiler by his amazing and well-missed predecessor. I like Hewitt, but I wish they had chosen a lesser known and more tough seeming actress for the role. I’m having trouble getting into the episodes with my mind constantly evaluating her performance and trying to forget her as the Whisperer. She’s just too soft and vulnerable seeming to me to be believable as a seasoned FBI agent.

36. Zayrina   October 20, 2014 at 6:16 pm

Love her as Kate! I never watched her in anything else. I hope she lasts a long time in CM.

37. Zee Ward   October 20, 2014 at 5:14 pm

I quit watching – JLH is a really bad actress. No believability!! She ruins the show!!

38. brenda pollock   October 20, 2014 at 3:28 pm

I loved hewitt in ghost whisper but do nit particular care for her on criminal minds. I love all the other characters and it rmai ns my favorite s dries. I Thomas Gibson left , I would stop watching it period.

39. Gypsy   October 20, 2014 at 2:09 pm

JLH is an awesome addition to CM!!! She’s a great actor and the character she plays adds much needed levity!!

• Jenny   October 20, 2014 at 5:55 pm

Agreed, I think she’s doing a good job, and she’s not all sexed up. I really am enjoying her character, and can’t wait to see where they take it.

40. SCC   October 20, 2014 at 1:47 pm

I think JLH has done a fantastic job so far and am really glad that she has joined the cast. While I miss Paget and always will, I don’t see JLH as her replacement, just like I never viewed Jean Tripplehorn as Paget’s replacement either. I will miss Jean as well. But as in real life, people move on, and other people move in to their positions. BTW, I knew I liked JLH when her and Rossi were at the unsub’s front door and Rossi asked if they could come in. The unsub asked if they had a warrant and Kate says, “I knew we forgot something”. Just the way she said it was solid gold. Great job, Jennifer!

41. yoggee   October 20, 2014 at 11:03 am

I was not sure of her being on CM, since I had ready seem her on other programs. But I just fell in love with her. She bring a little spark to the show and it fun to see someone else with a sense of humor (beside Garcia). I totally fell in love with Kate Callahan, totally. Great JOB! Jennifer Love Hewitt loving it

42. Joyce Smith   October 20, 2014 at 10:20 am

Give her a chance. I was shocked be caused the announcement of JLH joining CM hinted ‘someone we’ve seen before’ or words to that effect. When I addressed my shock I was told on twitter by Mr. Harry Bing or Bring ‘BYE’. I cried and spent the next couple of months feeling stupid. I did watch the premiere though and she did just fine. The only problem I have is every story so far has been JLH heavy. Spread the love CM!

43. robert best   October 20, 2014 at 8:51 am

Hey people this is just a TV show. Actors move on in their lives and try different routes in their careers. Perhaps you didn’t like Jennifer Hewitt in a previous role due to the character she played. She fits in on this show nicely.

44. Kate Mendes   October 20, 2014 at 5:04 am

JLH fits amazing <3 She is a great actress and I'm pretty sure people is starting to accept her on Criminal Minds. And Kate Callahan is just adorable!

• yoggee   October 20, 2014 at 11:04 am

So true

45. Jared A. Chambers   October 19, 2014 at 9:21 pm

Jennifer Love Hewitt is not the second replacement of Paget Brewster. She is the third replacement of Lola Glaudini. Long live Elle Greenway!