Former How I Met Your Mother star Neil Patrick Harris is said to be the host of an upcoming reality show that is based on British television personalities Ant & Dec’s series, Ant & Dec’s Saturday Night Takeaway. The show is said to be hosted on NBC, although any kind of release date time period has yet to be revealed.
The program is said to be being filmed in front of a live audience, not unlike most other variety shows. It will also follow traditional variety show protocol in that it will feature musical numbers, comical sketches, small game shows and subject their guests to hidden cameras in order to better provide a sense of candid filming for their viewers. All of these show techniques are reportedly based on its UK predecessor. Watching the aforementioned variety show, hosted by Anthony McPartlin and Declan Donnelly, reportedly filled Harris with joy and brought such a smile to his face for so many years that he in turn could not wait to pay homage to the British variety series if in any way possible. In a recent statement, Harris quipped that he had smiled so much throughout the series that his face was now in a state of permanent pain, and therefore he was eager to return the favor to American lovers of said show and of variety show fans in general.
It has been reported by New York Magazine that Harris has been extremely sought after by various networks since his role in the hit CBS show HIMYM wrapped up back in March. Fellow CBS network show The Tonight Show With David Letterman was said to have pulled out all the stops in an attempt to lock down Harris to host the show, but he graciously turned them down and informed them that a talk show was just simply not what he was interested in at the current time. The 41-year-old later explained that being involved in a talk show just did not lie within his interests and therefore he felt he made the right decision to turn down the offer, regardless of the fame or fortune it may have brought him had he accepted the network deal. In the war for Harris’ attention, NBC won the war due to their acceptance of the actor’s suggestion of said variety show based on one of his favorite programs.
Harris has been making quite the name for himself in terms of his solo career regarding the end of his hit CBS show. Last year, the actor won over millions after he took the role of 2013 Emmy Awards host, for which he garnered an immense amount of respect in the comedy world outside of primetime television. Paired with such world renown comedic geniuses as Conan O’Brien, Harris managed to garner more views for the award show than had been achieved in the history of the award show’s existence.
It remains to be seen if or when Neil Patrick Harris’ proposed variety show will hit airwaves on NBC. More details surrounding the program have yet to be revealed.
By Rebecca Grace