Dylan Farrow has resurrected the molestation accusations against her father Woody Allen, and that has brought the Annie Hall filmmaker on Google News for the wrong reasons. The renewal of the allegation against the 78-year-old actor has gone viral just before the prestigious Oscar Awards, where the filmmaker is selected for best creative screenplay for his movie Blue Jasmine, featuring Cate Blanchett.
In an open letter to the New York Times, Dylan elaborated a lot of controversial things related to the physically abusive acts. She went on, describing several unwanted moments of how the director/filmmaker took advantage of her age and questioned his acclaim in Hollywood vehemently. Relevant to the accusations is the Mia Farrow comments which took the social media by storm a few days after the Golden Globe Awards 2014.
Woody Allen is not only a celebrity, but a very respected and renowned figure in Hollywood. Anything related to him becomes news in no time. Interestingly, he is a controversial figure and comes up to news for good reasons as well as for speculative controversies. Once again, Woody Allen is back in Google News due to the resurrection of the accusations made by Dylan Farrow.
According to the New York Times letter, Dylan Farrow said that when she was 7 years old, Woody Allen used to grab her by the arm and take her to the dim closet on the second floor of their house. After reaching the attic, he used to ask Dylan to lie on her stomach and play with her brother’s electric train set. Then, he used to assault her sexually, asserted Dylan.
The accusations are not yet proven in the court of law; hence, it would not be wise to believe anything that comes out on the Internet. It is the judiciary which has the right to judge such a raging controversy. Law should take its course and reveal the truth as proven by evidence.
Dylan said, “That he got away with what he did to me haunted me as I grew up.” She added she felt guilty allowing Allen to be near other girls. When contacted by the press, the legendary director refused to comment, and Mia Farrow also chose to remain silent for the moment.
Robert Weide, a director and screenwriter, made a long documentary on Woody Allen for the American Masters series. It was released on The Daily Beast a few days back and refutes the allegations against the 78-year-old director. After the Dylan Farrow letter went viral over the internet on Saturday, Weide said, “If I wrote it today, it would be exactly the same piece.”
The director’s adopted daughter clearly mentioned in the letter, as far as she could remember, “my father had been doing things to me that I didn’t like.” She said, “I couldn’t keep the secret any more.” Woody Allen has always denied all of these allegations, but only time will tell, regardless of whether he answers Dylan’s letter in public. Dylan Farrow’s comments have brought Woody Allen back to the Google spotlight, but these are only speculations and not yet proven.
By Sunando Basu