Columbus State University Fatal Shooting

Columbus State UniversityGeorgia’s Columbus State University police were involved in a fatal shooting on Sunday. Campus police responded to a report of a man with a gun near the student apartments at the school. The man, who was seen loading a gun, was shot and fatally wounded after leading the police in foot chase.

The officers were notified at 2:35 p.m. on Sunday that a man was seen loading a gun near student apartments on the University campus. Police were on the scene three minutes later. When they arrived the man ran, and officers began to chase him on foot. The foot chase did not last long. Officials say that the officers turned a corner, and the man turned to face the officers. Officials state when he turned to face the officers he raised his arm. Shots were fired, and the man was wounded. The man was taken by ambulance to a hospital around 3:15pm. He was later pronounced dead at 3:29 p.m. at the Midtown Medical Center.

The man who was fatally wounded in the Columbus State University shooting has been identified as 20-year-old Zikarious Jaquan Flint. Flint was not a student at Columbus State University. Stacey Jackson, the attorney and spokesperson for the family, says that Flint’s family has said that Flint was there with a group visiting friends. Flint’s parents disagree with the report of Flint turning to face the officers. Jackson claims to have spoken to three witnesses who say Flint was running when he was shot, and that there were no weapons visible in his hands.

Though they requested to, Flint’s parents have not been allowed to see the body. Jackson stated that Flint’s parents spoke to some medical personnel who described Flint’s injuries. According to the description, Flint’s parents say he was shot twice. The body will be sent to Atlanta for an autopsy, which should confirm if the bullets entered the front of the body, or the back. This will help determine if Flint did turn and face the officers, or if he was running when he was shot. Jackson would not comment as to why Flint would have been running from the police. Jackson said the Flint family has told him that Flint did not have a history of felony crimes.

There was not a lockdown ordered for the campus during the chase or shooting, because the events unfolded quickly. Officials also determined that this was an “isolated threat” which had been removed, so a lockdown was not ordered after the shooting. Officials claim that no students were in jeopardy. There were student witness, but there is no word as to how many student witnesses there were. Campus officials declined to comment on how many students were in the apartments or nearby at the time of the chase and shooting.

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation, a state law enforcement agency, will conduct an investigation of the shooting, as it does for any police-involved shootings in the state of Georgia. The University has said that it is fully cooperating with the Georgia Bureau of Investigation during this investigation. Columbus State University has also made it known that if needed, counselors will be available to help students handle this fatal shooting.

By Ashley Campbell


Alabama’s 13
Gwinnett Daily Post
Fox News

You must be logged in to post a comment Login