The 2014 MTV Movie Awards were held last evening at the Nokia Theater in Los Angeles and the red carpet was on fire with hot celebrity looks. The show has always been a who’s who of the fashion world. As with any awards show, the red carpet is a place to see and be seen. Unlike the stuffier Academy Awards and Golden Globe Awards shows, the MTV Movie Awards allows celebrities to flaunt their edgier styles.
This is the 23rd year for the MTV Movie awards. What makes it interesting is that the winners are all chosen by the general public. Producers and executives at MTV decide of the nominees and the actual voting is done through MTV’s official website. Hosted by Conan O’Brien, some of this year’s categories include Best Male and Female Performance, Best Villain, Best Cast, Best Comedic Performance, Movie of the Year, Best Kiss, Best Fight, and Best Hero.
The night belonged to the younger generation. Stars like Shailene Woodley, Jessica Alba, and Lupita Nyong’o showed everyone how easy it is to be stylish without being trashy, a look that is hard to pull off (we are looking at you, Rhianna). Here are the top five red carpet looks from last night’s MTV Movie Awards.
5. Zac Effron – Let’s face it, Effron should be at the top of every best dressed list based on that winning smile alone. Last night he kept it simple in a fitted faded denim shirt, the better to show off those bulging biceps, and black jeans. Classic and understated. While presenting an award Effron had his shirt ripped off of him by co-presenter Rita Ora. An even better look, if you can believe it.
4. Rita Ora – Speaking of Ora, her plunging black dress was simple and perfect and fit her like a glove. Simple jewelry, long blonde locks and red lips rounded out her glamorous look. It also needs to be said that dresses with pockets are about the greatest thing ever imagined.
3. Jessica Alba – Another heavy hitter in the fashion world, Alba favors classic looks and clean lines. Dressed in a white bandeau top and a high waisted butter yellow skirt, Alba showed off just enough toned skin to make everyone at home watching from their couch jealous. Loose curls and dewy, flawless skin were the only accessories needed.
2. Lupita Nyong’o – Lovely Lupita gets it right every single time and last night was no different. Her turtle neck Chanel dress looked like it was covered in confetti. Nyong’O added a faux hawk and some sky high teal heels to the ensemble for a fun, fresh look. Eventually she will take a fashion misstep but it doesn’t appear to be happening any time soon.
1. Shailene Woodley – Woodley is having quite a year, so far. Divergent was a box office success and a million teens will be flocking to theaters this June to see her in The Fault in our Stars. Her look last night was young and hip. The olive green leather dress cinched just above her waist for a mere hint of skin. The skirt length was just right and her slicked back hair and natural makeup reminded us all of just how young she is.
The red carpet looks from the 2014 MTV Movie Awards was a little bit funky and a whole lot of fun. Exactly what you would expect from MTV.
by Mary Kay Love