Accused Kansas Shooter Was Protected Federal Witness

Accused Kansas Shooter Was Protected Federal Witness

The accused Kansas shooter who has been arrested in the shootings of three individuals outside two Jewish facilities in Kansas last week basically came into existence at the age of 49 when he became a protected federal witness. Frazier Glenn Cross was given that name by the federal government when he got out of prison back in 1990. He also received a different social security number and a brand new place to live. It was close to the Missouri River in the western part of Iowa.

The reason this occurred was to attempt to erase any association to the man he was known as before which was Frazier Glenn Miller, a leader in the White Nationalist movement and a spreader of hate filled messages. He was also a Federal informant.

Miller was a fugitive from justice and the subject of a coast-to-coast manhunt after he declared war on Jews and blacks. He wanted the thousands of people who followed him to viciously overthrow the very government which would in turn become his very defender.

During the morning hours of April 30, 1987, over 36 federal and state law enforcement agents bordered around a mobile home in Ozark, Missouri. There was a van that had been newly purchased by Miller in Louisiana which had been spotted out near the trailer by one of the agent only a day before.

A shower of tear gas rained down and four men appeared and each gave himself up. Among the four was Miller. He was considered the organizer of the Carolina Knights of the Ku Klux Klan. The United States Marshals Service had sent out a countrywide bulletin looking for the arrest of Miller after he managed to disappear while he attempted to appeal his sentence for criminal contempt.

The agents ended up finding pistols, automatic rifles, flak jackets and hand grenades inside the mobile home, FBI statements read from back at that time. Explosive experts came in from neighboring Fort Leonard Wood to discharge a box which held around twenty-two pipe bombs.

So being faced with an assortment of charges that would put him behind bars for over 20 years, Miller decided to make a deal. After being in jail only eight short days and having to dry out from not having any alcohol, he stated he had learned tolerance. He declared vigorously that he would never hurt anyone, FBI agents wrote while narrating Miller’s testimonials from that time back then.

One of the individuals that was present for the interviews held with Miller was prosecutor J. Douglas McCullough at that time. He is now one of the judges on the state court of North Carolina.

McCullough explained that Miller tried to be self-serving but most defendants are in such situations at first. However he did finally open up about a lot of things that went on with the KKK. He told about a number of people who were tangled up in illegal activities who were associates of his. That is what the feds were looking for.

In a set of interviews Miller had with federal investigators, he did not deny his racist and anti-Semitic opinions, but he always stated that he condemned illegal activities and violence.

Miller explained that he wanted nothing else to do with the KKK movement. During a later interview with the North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation, he accused two of his former friends of murder and said that while he was on the run was nothing more than a prank.

He said he was basically on vacation having a good time drinking beer and flirting with women. However during the course of their investigation, authorities happened to find out the shocking details of Miller’s arrest only a year before. Miller had been caught in the back seat of an automobile, in the act with a male black prostitute who was pretending to be a woman.

McCullough stated it was very shocking due to Miller’s personal beliefs. However Miller was not indicted in association with the prostitution arrest and there was no public record of the event was able to be found. Eventually, McCullough approved a plea agreement with Miller which recommended a five-year prison term in exchange for assistance and testament against former friends. He would end up serving less than three years at a prison in New York.

In 1998, Miller ended up being a key witness in a high profile federal trial that charged over a dozen white nationalists in an alleged scheme to start a war against the United States government. It was called Operation Clean Sweep. Miller swore he got two payments tallying $200,000 from one of the main leaders of the alleged plot but each of the accused ended up being cleared.

However McCullough believes nothing would have changed the occurrences in Kansas because even if he had not do any deals with Miller in 1987, Miller would not have spent any more than 15 years in prison.

There is very little known about the years Miller lived in Iowa and Nebraska existing as Frazier Glenn Cross. McCullough stated that it was obvious Cross finally rejected the presumed identity given to him by the federal government and restarted his life as the aggressive, unrepentant white supremacist Frazier Glenn Miller, the person who would allegedly cause tragic consequences which would follow when he returned to being that person.

Miller should have stayed Frazier Glenn Cross, the person with the different social security number and the different place to live. The world might be a little better today if he had.

By Kimberly Ruble


The Daily Mail

The Drudge Report

ABC News