Washington State Police Recover Bodies Of Two Men Killed At Waterfall

 pilchuck falls

Washington State police and emergency workers have recovered the bodies of two men who were killed on Saturday night at a waterfall. Pilchuck Falls is located in Skagit County and is a dangerous place even for experienced woodsmen. A hiker, age 25 is dead as is a search and rescue volunteer, age 61, who had been part of a group who was attempting to save two hikers who both had fell at the waterfall. The terrain there is extremely rugged and dangerous. It lies near Pilchuck Creek, which is east of Highway 9 and numerous miles to the south of Sedro Woolley, Washington.

The names of the two men are being withheld at the present time until their nearest relatives can be informed, stated Washington Chief Deputy Don McDermott. He is the lead investigator and takes care of media information responsibilities for the Skagit County Sheriff’s Office.

Pilchuck Falls is nearly 15 feet high and 60 feet wide inside a steep ravine. The trail leading to it involves using numerous ropes in order to reach the bottom. Back on May 31, a media site spoke of the trail to the falls and a post in response said that the route itself was slippery and very steep. It even declared that one area of the trail was nothing but a huge mud hole.

A news release was sent out to the media on Sunday, June 29 and it explained that Chief McDermott said the Skagit County Sheriff’s Office, the Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office, and Skagit County search and rescue personnel had been informed about an event at the falls around 9:38 p.m. on Saturday, June 28.

Chief McDermott stated that the first information they received was that a group of four individuals had been together on a logging road close to the falls when two of the people attempted to trek their way down in movement toward the falls. As they were moving along, one of the individuals, the male that was age 25, ended up falling about 100 feet. His partner attempted to reach him to provide aid but he ended up getting in some sort of trouble and had to cling to a tree until he was rescued.

A group of Skagit County Search and Rescue team volunteers happened to be training close by on ATV’s, so they responded to the distress call. Tragically, as the search and rescue team attempted to get to the two hikers, the rescuer that was age 61 ended up falling to his death as well. After the two deaths had been officially confirmed late Saturday night, rescue teams decided to stop  any attempts at body recovery until dawn returned on Sunday morning.

They were able to retrieve both of the victims bodies by then. The rescuers explained that darkness and the dangerous terrain kept them from being able to recover the two deceased men the night before. Washington State police and emergency workers recovered the bodies of two men who were killed on Saturday night at a waterfall. 


By Kimberly Ruble

You must be logged in to post a comment Login