In Alabama Three People Killed in UPS Shooting

 Three People Killed in UPS Shooting

In Alabama, three people, including the gunman, were reportedly killed in a shooting which occurred on Tuesday at a United Parcel Service (UPS) warehouse. The shooting took place at 4601 Inglenook Lane, to the north of Birmingham. Police also stated that all of the deceased appeared to be UPS personnel.

Police officers discovered the victims and one individual thought to be the shooter who had died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound, explained Birmingham Police Chief A.C. Roper as he talked to the media. He also declared that no motive was known at the present time. However, the shooter was wearing a UPS employee uniform. The gunman had on the uniform when he began shooting either inside or close by offices that were located in the warehouse.

Police Lieutenant Sean Edwards also spoke to the media and he confirmed that the shooter was an employee of UPS. The company is based out of Atlanta, Georgia and it released a news brief that stated the shooting happened about 9:40 a.m. CDT on Tuesday. The business headquarters stated that it was fully cooperating with Alabama law enforcement into the investigation.

Personnel who were inside the warehouse at the time of the shooting were moved to a different location so that they could be interrogated by police detectives and also provided with counseling, stated Chief Roper.

It was late on Tuesday morning when a lengthy row of police cars with lights flashing left the scene as part of a motorcade. They were moving along with a white school bus. A wrecker which had a police escort was also driving away and towing a red Honda SUV.

Chief Roper also told the media that the event was extremely troubling for the victims’ families and for the city of Birmingham. He explained that to have such a tragic occurrence happen to people while they were inside their place of employment, just doing what they were basically supposed to do by society’s standards, was very troubling. He spoke about how the victims were just doing their jobs, not attempting to do anything risky. The event was very sad.

The police chief went on to say that as of the present time they still did not have any information about a motive but they did have a fairly good idea about what happened. Chief Roper stated that he had heard the shooter was allegedly fired on Monday but was still attempting to confirm that specific information. All three dead were adult white males. Their identities have not been released to the public at the present time.

Chief Roper noted that no one other than the three were hurt and law enforcement did not fire any shots. However, as a protective measure, the grounds of both Springville elementary and middle schools were momentarily placed on lock down because there was an association between one of the individuals involved in the shooting and a child at the school, explained St. Clair County School representatives. They stated that it was just for precautionary measures.

The Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives was also at the scene of the shooting. ATF officials explained they were providing technical backing, and any guns that were used in the shooting would be traced as well as surrendered to the NIBIN to establish if they had ever been used in any other shootings besides the one which happened on Tuesday at UPS.

By Kimberly Ruble


NBC News
The Washington Post
ABC News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.