Ferguson Protesters Anticipate Officer Wilson Not Be Charged


Ferguson protesters anticipate Officer Darren Wilson will not be charged. He is the police officer who shot and killed Michael Brown, age 18, in August. They believe Wilson will not be indicted. Most of the demonstrators think that there will be widespread rioting if a grand jury decides to exonerate the police officer.

A group of about 100 individuals assembled on Monday near Florissant Road, with most wanting the arrest of Wilson, who killed Brown in Ferguson on Aug. 9. Two protesters, one of whom was a state senator, were booked into the county jail after they obstructed the street and would not move.

Wilson’s case is presently under evaluation by a St. Louis County jury, which has until Jan. of 2015 to choose whether they plan to charge Wilson or not. The jury is currently accepting evidence about the case on the identical schedule as law enforcement. However, police are investigating independently.

As the demonstrations which started soon after Brown’s death continue on into autumn, the masses have thinned out and the nationwide media attendance has all but faded away. The military-esque vehicles that were commonly seen as a response to protesters have now changed. The automobiles have been replaced by law enforcement in regular police uniforms.

However, on Monday, in a parking lot that was near the police station, protesters delivered chants that appeared aimed toward the station. Several of the activists, as well as Ferguson officials, are getting ready for any news about Wilson’s outcome that may reactivate immense demonstrations all over the city. The protesters mostly believe Officer Wilson will not be charged. That conviction has been supported by several different news sources that state forensic evidence has backed up the police officer’s own personal account of his original struggle with the teenager.

One protester that refused to give her name stated that it would be a war if they did not indict Wilson. Early Monday evening, Missouri State Senator Jamilah Nasheed and a young man named Jefonte Nelson were both taken into custody. They each had been warned they were in violation of a Ferguson city ordinance and were told many different times to move from the street. They both failed to do so and were each arrested without incident. Nelson and Nasheed were both handed charges of walking along a street where sidewalks are available. They were released from jail  on Tuesday.

The majority of demonstrators told the news media that they were not impressed with Nasheed’s arrest. They felt it was nothing but a publicity stunt. Nasheed claimed that she was trying to present a message that people did not have to participate in fierce protests. However, it was reported that she was carrying a 9 mm handgun when she was arrested.

When a preacher attempted to update the crowd about Nasheed’s arrest, he was disturbed by other protesters who told him they did not care about the Senator and informed him to “shut the h*ll up.” On Tuesday, citizens of Ferguson planned on gathering in a meeting hosted by a partition of the Justice Department that aids in soothing pressures in separated societies. They may be the only hope Ferguson has at the moment. In the long run, the answer will depend on what the grand jury decides in Officer Wilson’s situation.

By Kimberly Ruble


The Washington Times

UPI News

The Huffington Post

You must be logged in to post a comment Login