Don't like to read?
Deep tissue massage is a targeted form of massage therapy that focuses on the deep layers of muscle and fascia in the human body. It has been recommended by many doctors and proven to be a very beneficial treatment option for a variety of conditions. The therapy is administered via deep finger pressure and firm, slow strokes, which helps stimulate and relieve tension in injured and/or damaged muscle tissue. As a result, deep tissue massage can be used to treat a variety of physical ailments. Here are seven potential benefits to explore in relation to deep tissue massage.
1. Rehab Injured Muscle Tissue–Deep tissue massage can be a very effective treatment for injured muscles. This form of therapy facilitates the purging of toxins from the muscles and helps elongate muscle mass that has become distorted due to injury/stress. As a result, deep tissue massage can help promote healing of the injured areas. Moreover, since massage also helps relax muscles, it can reduce the amount of pain and inflammation caused by injuries as well. This is one reason deep tissue massage is often used to rehabilitate sports injuries.
2. Chronic Pain Relief–This is one of the most crucial benefits to this type of therapy. Deep tissue massage helps stimulate blood flow through the body. As a result, it helps reduce the amount of inflammation in affected and/or injured areas that cause pain. Moreover, this form of treatment can also help alleviate muscle tension, as well as the characteristic muscle tissue knots and/or clusters that are often associated with chronic pain. In fact, this treatment has been deemed so effective that several medical facilities, including The University of Maryland Medical Center, contend deep tissue massage is more beneficial and affordable in terms of chronic pain treatment than many conventional medical treatments.
3. Post-Surgical Recovery–Due to its ability to stimulate blood flow, massage therapy is often recommended for post-surgical patients to aid recovery, as well as deter scar tissue development. Thus, deep tissue massage not only has therapeutic benefits, but also could be considered a preventative form of treatment.
4. Scar Tissue Remedy–Another important potential benefit of this type of massage therapy is that it can help break up and eliminate scar tissue from the body of an affected and/or injured patient. It achieves this feat via improving lymphatic circulation and drainage in the body, which in turn, helps improve range of motion and flexibility in the injured and/or affected area(s). The process of breaking up and eradicating scar tissue in the body is gradual and achieved over time. This is not an immediate benefit of the therapy, but rather a long-term improvement for the injured individual. Additionally, it is also important to note that scar tissue is often considered a source of ongoing pain and stiffness in an affected patient’s body. Therefore, deep tissue massage has proven beneficial in improving such symptoms.
5. Blood Pressure Stabilization–Since deep tissue massage helps alleviate tension and stress, it makes sense that it also has a beneficial effect on an individual’s blood pressure. Some patients who had massage therapy experienced a significant drop in both their systolic pressure (by more than 10 mm Hg) and diastolic pressure (more than 5 mm Hg).
6. Improved Mood–Another lesser known benefit of deep tissue massage is that it can increase the body’s production of serotonin, which is a hormone generated in the brain that is responsible for feelings of happiness and euphoria.
7. Stress Relief–Deep tissue massage is a treatment option frequently used for stress sufferers. Chronic stress can affect the body in a number of ways. Some of the physical symptoms displayed in stress sufferers include agitation, tight muscles (particularly in the neck and shoulders), and tension headaches. Massage therapy has been proven very beneficial not only for stress management, but also for biological and psychological reasons.
Despite the fact that deep tissue massage has been recommended by many respected physicians and proven as a very beneficial treatment option for many conditions, there is still reluctance in prescribing such therapy on a widespread basis. Massage therapy can be used to treat a variety of physical and other related ailments. There are numerous potential benefits associated with deep tissue massage, particularly its effective rehabilitation of injured muscles. Since this form of therapy aids the removal of toxins and scar tissue from the muscles, deep tissue massage can also help promote healing. Moreover, given that massage therapy also helps relax the body and manage stress levels, it can help reduce the amount of inflammation and pain experienced by the body. For these reasons, deep tissue massage is a form therapy with a number of potential benefits worth exploring.
By Leigh Haugh
Enjoy Other Articles by This Author: