In honor of the 25 year anniversary of the Hubble Space Telescope, NASA has planned a number of events leading up to, and even after the big day. For 25 years, Hubble has been capturing awe inspiring images of the solar system. Many of these images have become as iconic as the piece of equipment itself.
For a quarter of a century, this telescope has gone through the highs and lows. There have been a number of thrilling moments and just as many disappointments. Now it is as much a national treasure, as it is an international wonder. Sitting 350 miles above Earth, Hubble is one of the most successful science projects of all time.
April 2015 is NASA’s month of celebration and events in honor of Hubble’s anniversary. From featured programs to movies and even special interactive events, NASA is honoring one its greatest accomplishments.
- Throughout the month of April select theaters across the United States are offering special showings of the IMAX movie, Hubble 3D. The movie celebrated the first 20 years of the telescope and went along with astronauts during a mission to service the iconic tool.
- The Smithsonian’s National Air and Space museum will be featuring the Hubble Space Telescope. There will be any number of events throughout the month, including a family day, lectures, ask an expert events and more.
- In Baltimore, Maryland, the American Visionary Art Museum is hosting an imagery exhibit. The exhibit is known as the Heaven’s Carousel, which runs from April 23 to May 2, was created by the European Space Agency (ESA).
- On April 23, NASA intends to unveil the 25th anniversary image from the Hubble Space Telescope. The unveiling will take place in Washington, at the Newseum. At the time there will also be a number of individuals on hand to discuss the achievements of the iconic telescope. These presenters include Jennifer Wiseman, the Senior Project Scientist for Hubble, and Charlie Bolden, a NASA administrator.
- The Smithsonian’s National Air and Space museum will also be holding an event with astronauts called Family Day. This is set to take place on April 25.
- The University of Maryland Day at College Park will also have a table set up with both displays and information regarding Hubble. This will also happen on April 25.
- On April 22, the Washington Nationals have a block of tickets especially set aside for NASA Day. Baseball fans get a chance to combine their love of the game, with their love of space.
- Cape Canaveral in Florida will also be hosting a number of events in honor of Hubble’s anniversary. On April 24, a number of events will be occurring, including an image gallery, activity and education stations and speakers such as astrophysicists and scientists involved in the project.
- To go along with the assortment of events there will also be new videos and specials. NASA is offering video clips on their Instagram account. Plus, there will also be a new feature released about Hubble on the National Geographic Channel.
For the past 25 years, the Hubble Space Telescope has been acknowledged as one of the greatest scientific achievements. To honor those many achievements, NASA is dedicating the month of April (and the beginning of May) to showcasing not only its journey, but also some of the many images it has captured over the last quarter of a century.
By Kimberley Spinney
Featured Photo by Flickr License–