An earthquake, measuring 4.3 on the Richter scale, has hit Chile’s port city of Coquimbo. No immediate reports of casualties and injuries have been confirmed. This is the second time the coastal town has been rocked, as there was the 8.3-magnitude quake recorded on Sept. 18, 2015.
Unconfirmed reports from Coquimbo suggest that the earthquake displaced hundreds of people. Some residents told reporters that the mild quake made people “run in all directions,” as they feared for their lives. A fortnight ago the BBC reported that at least 11 people died after the 8.3 M quake and left many homeless.
The town’s Disaster Management Team told reporters that the tremor lasted a “few minutes and was strongly felt here in Coquimbo.” Some restaurant owners were forced to close early as they feared the worst would happen. A patron at the beach restaurant told reporters that the fear is the secondary wave could cause a tsunami. People have been moving to higher ground since the earthquake had hit the port city of Coquimbo.
Chile has had a number of devastating disasters in recent history. According to reports, close to a million people had to be evacuated, after authorities had sounded a tsunami alert following an earthquake, earlier this month. A 12-year-old girl told the crew with Red Cross that she felt trapped inside a cage. This earthquake in Chile’s port city of Coquimbo has caused fear and devastation, according to eye-witness reports.
By Shepherd Mutsvara
Earthquakes and Tsunamis Tracker
BBC News: Chile Quake: State of Emergency Declared in Coquimbo
Top Article and Featured Image Courtesy of Diego Ibacache’s Flickr Page – Creative Commons Licence