Sam Claflin Cast as Finnick Odair

By Danielle Mason
It’s finally the moment that Tributes worldwide have been waiting for since the first installment in the Hunger Games trilogy was released.
Film producer Nina Jacobson has allegedly confirmed that the role of Finnick Odair has been cast. So who is the lucky guy? Drum roll please… Finnick Odair is Sam Claflin!
Yes, Sam Claflin, the twenty-six-year-old British actor is officially playing the handsome and charismatic Finnick Odair in the next installment of Suzanne Collins’s best selling trilogy. Claflin is probably most recognizable from his roles in Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides and Snow White and the Huntsman. He also had recurring roles on TV’s White Heat and the miniseries The Pillars of the Earth.
In Collins’s novel Catching Fire, Finnick Odair is a previous winner of the Hunger Games who finds himself back in the arena during the Third Quarter Quell, the special event held during the 75th annual Hunger Games. He fights alongside Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark in the arena and becomes a key player in the rebels’ attempt to bring down the Capitol.
So the question is can Sam Claflin be a key player in the success of the Catching Fire movie? The casting of Claflin seemed to come out of left field as recent news indicated that the choice had come down to Armie Hammer and Garrett Hedlund.
The selection of Sam Claflin isn’t a bad choice though. Claflin had solid performances in both Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides and Snow White and the Huntsman. He should be nothing less than excellent alongside Jennifer Lawrence and Josh Hutcherson in Catching Fire if his past performances are any indication. But only time will tell.
Filming for Catching Fire is scheduled to begin late summer or early fall. The movie is set for a release date of November 22, 2013.
The Guardian Express would like to direct question about up coming productions to http://swathfansite.blogspot.com.

33 Responses to "Sam Claflin Cast as Finnick Odair"

1. Amy   July 21, 2012 at 6:24 pm

“Nina Jacobson has allegedly confirmed-”
    We don’t know anything for SURE yet until Lionsgate confirms it, I refuse to believe it

• Sea   July 21, 2012 at 9:52 pm

I agree I’ll believe he is a finalist but not officially cast

2. Ruth   July 21, 2012 at 6:03 pm

I’m quite happy with this choice!! In my opinion, better than Garrett or Armie…!

3. Sara   July 20, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Okay all you need to stfu I love HG but seriously I’m sick of hearing fans say ” I think _______ _______ should be finnick” like seriously shut up you making people like me starting to hate it but I’m gonna love it now matter what the casting is it’s just a movie! Like it or not just shut up!!!! An then you get made when the pick someone you don’t like so shut up and wait till the movie comes out and we will see if it’s good or not -___-

• Lizzie Bennet   July 22, 2012 at 8:45 pm

I think James Gaisford should play Finnick 😛 Glad “people like you” are getting tired of casting suggestions because people like you never bring something fun or interesting to the discussions. I’d rather hear who everybody thinks should play the part even if they aren’t cast than “shut up comments”.

Ï don’t hate this guy I still hate who plays Katniss, Peeta, and Cinna and still I´ll be there November 13th first row and when this guy appears I will shout: “Odair it is!” 😀

4. Lord Voldemort (@voldiepwns)   July 19, 2012 at 6:04 pm

I am so happy with this pick! Eeeee!

5. kkcoolcat   July 19, 2012 at 8:43 pm

I know someone who was born to play Finnick Odair Drew Van Acker. Look at all of the characteristics. He has them. So please fans and Nina Jacobson search him up.

• hannah   July 20, 2012 at 7:16 am

Absolutely!

6. ThisisasdisappointingasEdwardCullen   July 19, 2012 at 8:35 pm

MAX IRONS AS FINNICK PLEASE

7. Finnick101   July 19, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Nina Jacobson,
    Finnick is supposed to be very handsome and Sam Claflin is AVERAGE looking. As described in the book, girls faint for him and he is the handsome trident wielding tribute. If you want the hunger games fans to be disappointed then go ahead and cast him.

• Lee   July 19, 2012 at 8:31 pm

You are so RIGHT! I applaud for you! Does anyone know Nina Jacobson’s email? It will come quite in handy.

8. Kat   July 19, 2012 at 8:18 pm

BWAAAAAA! NOOOO! He looks like the doctor from Doctor Who please change him or I will have a riot in the set

9. Believe   July 19, 2012 at 8:14 pm

If you want me to die of depression then choose this guy for Finnick.

10. Lily   July 19, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Im so happy they finally cast Finnick!! I picture someone else but Sam will do. Just wait until they transform him, he will look the part!

• Phoebe   July 19, 2012 at 7:57 pm

This makes me Sooooooooooooooo HAPPPY
      I’VE READ ALL OF THE BOOKS AND FEEL HE IS GOING TO BE A PERFECT FIT

11. carolina   July 19, 2012 at 7:33 pm

noooo wtf.

12. Jill   July 19, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Ugh he isn’t finnick . This is a huge letdown .

13. Avengersrule   July 19, 2012 at 6:13 pm

I hope this is another rumor because I would be yelling…… NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Grimmperson   July 19, 2012 at 6:11 pm

3 words.. WHAT THE HECK?

15. Hungergamesmaniac   July 19, 2012 at 6:10 pm

NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! PLEASE CHANGE HIM NOW!!!!!!!!!!

16. FinnickLover   July 19, 2012 at 6:08 pm

Seriously? Finnick is described as having sea green eyes, bronze hair, and tan skin. Sam Claflin has none of these characteristics.

• Meeee   July 19, 2012 at 8:39 pm

All of you who don’t think he looks the part – There are these new things. They are called hair dye and contact lenses. He doesn’t look the part? Neither did Jennifer or Josh, and practically everyone hated them to start with, but they dyed their hair and gave fantastic performances. I’m sorry but a lot of the ones that some of you wanted to play Finnick were really ugly. He isn’t, so he already wins there. I personally think he is an awesome choice.

• Smile   July 19, 2012 at 8:50 pm

He is average looking. you can’t change the character too much. Btw he has to also become buff and he isn’t and that will take 5-6 months. BTW he looks good to play shakespeare in love.

• Lizzie Bennet   July 22, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Sadly Josh didn’t get contacts and his hair wasn’t as blond as it should’ve been and Jennifer didn’t get a tan to get olive skin and her hair should’ve been darker so I don’t trust they will give this guy the right appearance. I went to see the first movie in spite of the cast not because of them , and because frankly there wasn’t any other movie worth seeing but I hate how for Harry Potter I was always “this is great” and for hunger games is always “let’s wait and see” and still think “this could’ve been better”

• Chloe   July 24, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Like other people have said, don’t judge him until you’ve seen him play Finnick :l He may not have the ‘Finnick’ characteristics, but neither did Garret Hedlund and Armie Hammer and they were fan favourites, plus theres always contact lenses/fake tan/hair dye. Jen + Josh weren’t exactly popular when the casting was announced, and they were incredible. Personally I think Sam will do a brilliant job as Finnick.

17. kkcoolcat   July 19, 2012 at 5:54 pm

NOOO! I am not happy at all he does not look like the character in the book. He looks like he should play stuff like Shakespeare in love. Please change him you are making a big mistake. I don’t know how will you guys transform him into finnick.

18. addios   July 19, 2012 at 3:03 pm

i love sam so much!!! just give him so spray tan!!!! can’t wait for the sugar cube scene!!!!!!!!!

19. Boboo   July 19, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Well, Garrett is first choice, but Sam isn’t that bad. He wasn’t exactly how I pictured finnick would be, but it could be worse.
    At least he’s still a looker and had star in two big movies

20. justME   July 19, 2012 at 12:02 pm

YES! YES! YES! 😀 first i wanted garrett hedlund as finnick but then i watched a few interviews with sam claflin and scenes from the movies he was in and he is soooooo amazing!!!! 😀 i love him as finnick!

21. kim   July 19, 2012 at 11:26 am

22. michellejadeee   July 19, 2012 at 11:22 am

Yes! He is a great actor, and even if he doesn’t look the part, he will be fantastic. Definately a better choice than Garrett or Armie.

23. KOPhaba   July 19, 2012 at 11:05 am

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha NO.

24. Do   July 19, 2012 at 9:30 am

Okay… not too happy about this. I was definitely hoping for Garrett Hedlund but alright. We’ll just have to wait and see.