Fibromyalgia Mystery Finally Solved!

Researchers Find Main Source of Pain in Blood Vessels

Fibromyalgia Mystery Finally Solved! Researchers Find Main Source of Pain in Blood Vessels

Researchers have found the main source of pain in Fibromyalgia patients, and contrary to what many believe, it does not stem from the brain. The findings mark the end of a decades-old mystery about the disease, which many doctors believed was conjured in patients’ imaginations. The mystery of Fibromyalgia has left millions of sufferers searching for hope in pain medications. Up until recently, many physicians thought that the disease was “imaginary” or psychological, but scientists have now revealed that the main source of pain stems from a most unlikely place- excess blood vessels in the hand.

The discovery may lead to new treatments and perhaps even a total cure in the future, bringing relief to as many as 5 million Americans thought to have the disease. To solve the Fibromyalgia mystery, researchers zeroed in on the skin from the hand of one patient who had a lack of the sensory nerve fibers, causing a reduced reaction to pain. They then took skin samples from the hands of Fibromyalgia patients and were surprised to find an extremely excessive amount of a particular type of nerve fiber called arteriole-venule (AV) shunts.

Up until this point scientists had thought that these fibers were only responsible for regulating blood flow, and did not play any role in pain sensation, but now they’ve discovered that there is a direct link between these nerves and the widespread body pain that Fibromyalgia sufferers feel.

The breakthrough also could solve the lingering question of why many sufferers have extremely painful hands as well as other “tender points” throughout the body, and why cold weather seems to aggravate the symptoms. In addition to feeling widespread deep tissue pain, many Fibromyalgia patients also suffer from debilitating fatigue.

Neuroscientist Dr. Frank L. Rice explained: “We previously thought that these nerve endings were only involved in regulating blood flow at a subconscious level, yet here we had evidences that the blood vessel endings could also contribute to our conscious sense of touch… and also pain,” Rice said. “This mismanaged blood flow could be the source of muscular pain and achiness, and the sense of fatigue which are thought to be due to a build-up of lactic acid and low levels of inflammation fibromyalgia patients. This, in turn, could contribute to the hyperactivity in the brain.”

Current treatments for the disease have not brought complete relief to the millions of sufferers. Therapies include narcotic pain medicines; anti-seizure drugs, anti-depressants and even simple advice such as “get more sleep and exercise regularly.” Now that the cause of Fibromyalgia has been pinpointed, patients are looking forward to an eventual cure. Other expressed frustration about how much they had suffered already:

“When are they ever going to figure out that things are never “all in your head?” said one commenter. “Whenever something doesn’t fit in their tiny little understanding, they belittle the patient and tell them they are crazy. People have suffered through this since they were invented. Prescribing SSRIs for everything is not the answer any more than a lobotomy or hysterectomy was.”

The announcement has the potential to unlock better future treatments and undoubtedly has patients all over the world rejoicing that the mystery of Fibromyalgia has finally been solved.

RELATED: Fibromyalgia: Proof of Physical Origins Vs. Two Danish Psychiatrists

By: Rebecca Savastio

Source: Redorbit

Source: Womenshealth.gov

Source: Yahoo News

2,357 Responses to Fibromyalgia Mystery Finally Solved!

1. You know who. October 23, 2014 at 6:39 pm

Stormfighter, I challenge you to explain, keeping in mind that there is no definitive ‘test’ for Fibromyalgia, how in the name of all that is logical it can be determined that babies are now being born with it. What? Do the doctors ask (in baby talk, of course) for newborns to describe their symptoms?

If babies are now being born with something resembling Fibromyalgia, which I seriously doubt, it’s almost certainly because their idiot parents were on pharmaceuticals when they conceived or during pregnancy, which they ended up pumping right into the bloodstreams of their innocent babies during the critical stages of development.

By the way, I do appreciate the fact that you rose above your contempt for me by admitting the possibility that I’m trying to help.

Keep searching your lifestyle for possible contributory factors. I’m telling you this condition is avoidable like virtually all that Americans, IN PARTICULAR, suffer from.

• Paula J Countryman October 23, 2014 at 7:30 pm

Surely you are jesting in your reply to ‘ Stormfighter’ http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2581184

• You know who. October 23, 2014 at 8:09 pm

I stand by my theory regarding pinched or tickled spinal nerves. They are most likely, the primary contributory factor. I’ve already proven that they are the cause of Restless Leg Syndrome. However, the data you linked to lies in a ball park far too wide to be relevant here. After all, the word ‘Fibromyalgia’ doesn’t appear anywhere on that page. No implication whatsoever is made.

• Paula J Countryman October 23, 2014 at 8:55 pm

You do understand that fibromyalgia can be compared to running a 5K marathon, but instead of relaxing, our muscles remain taut? This is the reality of just some of the pain and inflexibility endured. Some then turn to muscle relaxants for sleep, and pain medication to perform normally during the day.It is thought we have “lower levels of the muscle-cell chemicals phosphocreatine and adenosine triphosphate (ATP). Such chemicals regulate the level of calcium in muscle cells. Calcium is an important component in the muscles’ ability to contract and relax. If ATP levels are low, calcium is not “pushed back” into the cells, and the muscle remains contracted.” This makes more sense to me than how we sit or stand. I have scoliosis, so I don’t find sitting up straight to be comfortable in the least.

2. Fibro police October 23, 2014 at 5:02 pm

I have been living with this for 20 years and any info i can get is awesome as long as it comes from a positive source .You know who … you are a dick .You presume that the gentleman was blaming his probs on fibro probs when IN FACT WHEN YOU SUFFER SEVERE PAIN ALL OVER YOUR BODY REGULARLY THE REST OF YOUR BODY SUFFERS AS WELL YOU IGNORANT PERSON.Have you ever heard of when one goes it all goes and itès just not a physical prob but it;s also a mental one when you live a life with no controll,where you can really plan nothing ahead of time because you hate to cancell yet again .And if you dont think that this man has sought propper help then by all means help but until then stay off the site.

• kimberley horning October 23, 2014 at 7:28 pm

Hi there, I too was diagnosed with fibromyalgia about 25 yeats ago and it was very difficult to get supportive treatment. Many healthcare providers kind of blew it off as a mental issue which not only didn’t help the suffering, usually only managing to make us feel worse and irrevelent. I was fortunate, my fibro kind of outgrew itself, the pain just went away after about 3 years. Good luckt to you.

• You know who. October 23, 2014 at 8:28 pm

I’m glad you recovered. But it didn’t just happen. Something significant about your lifestyle changed within that 3 years. Whatever it was, it probably resulted in a more healthy back.

I am curious why you would visit a page like this 22 years later. I showed up specifically to give advice.

As expected, as usual, it has not been taken seriously.

3. Bill October 23, 2014 at 12:11 pm

If this is the main reason that’s great news because I’ve be dealing with this for 15 years and my life has be a living hell. I also have back,hip,neck and ankle problems and I never know when the fibromyalgia is going to flare up but when it does all hell breaks lose and my body just wont do what I want it to do.Simple things like walking gets difficult sleeping is non existent and the pain is unbearable. So if this is the beginning of treating fibromyalgia patients this is excellent news. And all these doctors that didn’t believe their patients and told them that the pain was all in their heads are quacks and I hope they get this ailment and I also hope they are not going to get treated for the amount of time that their patients had to deal with their pain.

• You know who. October 23, 2014 at 1:59 pm

Another ‘fibro’ case with a back problem. Gee what a shock. Don’t you people make even the slightest attempt to think outside of your ‘poor little me’ ‘fibromyalgia’ boxes? How can you live with pain for 15 years and STILL be unaware that back problems alone have been known to cause pain all over the body? Look at a diagram sometime. You will see that most of your nerves run up your spine. So if those nerves are disturbed anywhere along the way, they can send pain signals right to your brain just as if they were being sent from another part of the body. You wouldn’t even know the difference. But it is well known within the medical and chiropractic fields. If you people are going to let yourself go and pretend as if Mother Nature is going to excuse your weight, inactivity, bad posture, bad form, bad work habits, bad sitting, resting, and sleeping habits, then you have nothing to complain about.

See a chiropractor, take a few weeks to get in decent shape, then re-evaluate. If your chiropractor gives you a clean bill of back health and you STILL have the same degree of pain, then maybe you do have a legitimate condition. But you need to rule these factors out first.

Regardless of which came first, the fact is that inactivity, poor flexibility, and/or bad form are literally enough to CAUSE pain all over your body.

SEE A CHIROPRACTOR.

• Mshell October 23, 2014 at 2:29 pm

You are obviously a chiropractor who is in desperate need of business, and with a bedside manner like that I can see why. Do not presume to think you know anything about everyone with fibro, I am not overweight, in fact under by every test, I excersise everyday, work fulltime + hours, have a family and a household to run, I have tried chiro, physo, naturopath, herbalist and from time to time conventional medication when the pain was truely unbearable. As for this “poor me” tgT again is a load of crap if you ask how many people with fibro tell people they have the condition it would be very few and a lot of the reason is due to small minded opionated pratts like yourself.
        I believed this thread was for those that wanted to he updated on any information regRding this study not to be made feel worse by trolls.

• You know who. October 23, 2014 at 3:58 pm

I’m being censored again. Unable to post reply. Click my name and read it there.

I’m not a kyropracter (I know but I’m being censored again) and I have NOTHING to gain. So find the courage, click my name, read my detailed reply, forget about my attitude and consider the possibility that I’m trying to help you.

• Stormfighter October 23, 2014 at 4:56 pm

Giving theory upon theory isn’t really helpful. you don’t know everyone that has Fibro. You don’t know their stories, you don’t know what they’ve tried and hasn’t worked for them. and though your trying to help you don’t know everyone symptom’s. There’s even studies that babies are now being born with it. our bodies are made differently from normal people. Some people are born with Fibro and the symptom’s don’t kick in right away, it’s usually triggered and awaken at some point in their life. I was always sick as a kid and in eight grade I had one final sickness that activated my Fibro. it took three months to get an answer three days before my birthday. People who have Fibro don’t tell anyone outside their trust circle about their condition and even then they don’t even know. people are small minded and people with fibro just want to live their lives not under constant judgment from people who don’t understand. and people that have dealt with Fibro ( some) won’t be very open with accepting help outside the fibro community. But the one thing we need is some kind hope that there is a step toward a cure and we just need hope not theories that may or may not work.

4. Erik October 23, 2014 at 8:39 am

I wonder if those suffering with fibro would help answer another informal survey to see if this sheds light on the mystery of fibro:

1) Do you have silver (amalgam) tooth fillings, and if so, how many and for how many years?

2) How many vaccinations have you received, and do you get shots regularly?

My theory is that those with fibro will have above average exposure to one or both of the above.

• You know who. October 23, 2014 at 4:22 pm

Erik, good on you for thinking out of the box. I don’t know about your theory. But don’t expect much cooperation from these perfect little victims. Most of them just want to lay on the couch, take their meds, get fatter and tell each other how sick they are.

I’ve known over a dozen women diagnosed with fibro. Only one of them has ever made any attempt at all to take care of herself. She is active. Unfortunately, she takes LOUSY care of her back. Always mixing cat food with one arm leaned over the counter or table slightly and always bending over to pick up cats, cat bowls, cat toys, cat blankets, cat furniture ect. Her form is TERRIBLE.

To this day, I find it truly astonishing just how many people have no clue whatsoever about proper form, posture, or back health in general.

Anyway, good luck researching your theory.

• Patricia October 23, 2014 at 11:56 pm

Victims??? Moaning about their illness???? How dare you…do you have fibromyalgia…you have no clue with your theories…dont be so rude..I have no fillings….no vaccinations since I was a child…yes I believe we are born with it

• Stormfighter October 23, 2014 at 5:31 pm

Erik, I may not be much help but the first question is no I don’t have silver fillings. I’ve never needed them and I’ve also heard silver fillings are actually bad for you. the second question I’ve had my acquired shots from birth to adult and I get the flu shot every year but I don’t get shots regularly. I have Fibro but not from the above reasons I was really sick from a viral infection and my symptom’s kicked in from a body that has never worked like it should for a normal person. And actually not everyone has bad posture it’s actually stiffness from fibro so we always need to be on the move we can’t always be proper or have good form actually sometimes it hurts to stand or sit in a proper form because of stiffness. I dance all the time and eat healthy for Hypoglycemia, I don’t take meds for now I take herbal vitamins. anyway I hope this helps. good luck with your theory

5. Cindy October 23, 2014 at 7:39 am

article was added June of 2013. Really? def need to research origin..thought we had something to hand our hat on, but now, not so sure

6. Stormfighter October 23, 2014 at 7:30 am

If your not seeking advice for problems from others on this comment thing. I suggest stfu everyone is entitled to their own opinion but don’t share it with others who do have Fibro cause we don’t want to hear it. it’s called got nothing nice to say keep it to yourself. I’m reading the comments to see if others can help me but all i’m actually reading is arguments that help no one. and with the comments and responds this is just uncomfortable to even seek help. everyone is crazy. and I need to worry about me. I am sorry for what each of you are going through but this shouldn’t be for making points or saying it’s not what your going through. okay yes not everyone has this problem in the article above but it’s not an article to bash on cause it’s not your one of your issues. everyone has different problems when it comes to Fibro but come on arguing doesn’t help anyone except make you angry. that’s all I wanted to say goodbye. BTW I will not be back to see responses to this. Cause and I’m sorry for anyone that goes through Fibro it sucks I know I go through it too I was thirteen it was a horrible 14th birthday gift but I don’t care for the responses. so again goodbye.

• You know who. October 23, 2014 at 8:40 am

The answer is no. It’s a free country.

• Stormfighter October 23, 2014 at 12:25 pm

I don’t care for responses so good day.

Quantcast