Fibromyalgia Mystery Finally Solved!

Researchers Find Main Source of Pain in Blood Vessels

Fibromyalgia Mystery Finally Solved! Researchers Find Main Source of Pain in Blood Vessels

Researchers have found the main source of pain in Fibromyalgia patients, and contrary to what many believe, it does not stem from the brain. The findings mark the end of a decades-old mystery about the disease, which many doctors believed was conjured in patients’ imaginations. The mystery of Fibromyalgia has left millions of sufferers searching for hope in pain medications. Up until recently, many physicians thought that the disease was “imaginary” or psychological, but scientists have now revealed that the main source of pain stems from a most unlikely place- excess blood vessels in the hand.

The discovery may lead to new treatments and perhaps even a total cure in the future, bringing relief to as many as 5 million Americans thought to have the disease. To solve the Fibromyalgia mystery, researchers zeroed in on the skin from the hand of one patient who had a lack of the sensory nerve fibers, causing a reduced reaction to pain. They then took skin samples from the hands of Fibromyalgia patients and were surprised to find an extremely excessive amount of a particular type of nerve fiber called arteriole-venule (AV) shunts.

Up until this point scientists had thought that these fibers were only responsible for regulating blood flow, and did not play any role in pain sensation, but now they’ve discovered that there is a direct link between these nerves and the widespread body pain that Fibromyalgia sufferers feel.

The breakthrough also could solve the lingering question of why many sufferers have extremely painful hands as well as other “tender points” throughout the body, and why cold weather seems to aggravate the symptoms. In addition to feeling widespread deep tissue pain, many Fibromyalgia patients also suffer from debilitating fatigue.

Neuroscientist Dr. Frank L. Rice explained: “We previously thought that these nerve endings were only involved in regulating blood flow at a subconscious level, yet here we had evidences that the blood vessel endings could also contribute to our conscious sense of touch… and also pain,” Rice said. “This mismanaged blood flow could be the source of muscular pain and achiness, and the sense of fatigue which are thought to be due to a build-up of lactic acid and low levels of inflammation fibromyalgia patients. This, in turn, could contribute to the hyperactivity in the brain.”

Current treatments for the disease have not brought complete relief to the millions of sufferers. Therapies include narcotic pain medicines; anti-seizure drugs, anti-depressants and even simple advice such as “get more sleep and exercise regularly.” Now that the cause of Fibromyalgia has been pinpointed, patients are looking forward to an eventual cure. Other expressed frustration about how much they had suffered already:

“When are they ever going to figure out that things are never “all in your head?” said one commenter. “Whenever something doesn’t fit in their tiny little understanding, they belittle the patient and tell them they are crazy. People have suffered through this since they were invented. Prescribing SSRIs for everything is not the answer any more than a lobotomy or hysterectomy was.”

The announcement has the potential to unlock better future treatments and undoubtedly has patients all over the world rejoicing that the mystery of Fibromyalgia has finally been solved.

RELATED: Fibromyalgia: Proof of Physical Origins Vs. Two Danish Psychiatrists

By: Rebecca Savastio

Source: Redorbit

Source: Womenshealth.gov

Source: Yahoo News

2,247 Responses to Fibromyalgia Mystery Finally Solved!

1. Janice Adam September 30, 2014 at 1:31 am

I have been suffering now for 8weeks it has been the worst bout, then again i beleive i say that every winter, a doctor told me it has nothing to do with the cold…HELLOoo..I have lived with this shocking pain for at least 15years refusing to take antidepression tablets always eat well etc etc… but to get some relief i do take analgesics and rest it also effects my sleep pattern,and I truly get angry and fed up,as I find it hard to leave the house…god I there is a cure coming soon

2. C.B.Ross September 23, 2014 at 2:09 pm

It is my wife who has suffered for almost 15 years. However, it is not a ‘disease’, it is a ‘condition’!

3. sharon Atkins September 20, 2014 at 4:59 am

I really do hope there is a cure coming. Cus im fed up of pain. Fibromyalgia takes over your life.im a mother with two young boys who haf to stop hugging there mother.
    I can not be the mother I need to me to my boys because of fibromyalgia.
    I rarly leave the house.

• Ruth September 20, 2014 at 7:40 am

Sharon, I kno how u feel. Now 68, have Fibro since late 1980’s. It has only got ton worse plus now I also have MS. If not for my doctor helping me thru by being willing to give pain meds I don’t kno where I’ d be, still I rarely go out or do anything . Even a car ride to the doc leaves me recovering for a few days from that. Hang in there, ur family needs u. My kids now 42 and 31 still need me. I kno it’s hard to live, it hurts so darn much :( .for me sometimes I don’t know if MS or Fibro causes the pain….
      Hugs, Ruth

4. Marie Forrest September 16, 2014 at 4:46 pm

If you are really ready to fully and completely overcome FMS, check out The Chrysalis effect. It is a ME/CFS/FMS supported recovery program.

I completed this 9-month program last May and it has changed my life. I had been bed ridden from ME & FMS on and off for several years, but through this program, I have made improvements that no other medical or holistic program was able to help me achieve. I’m continuing to gain strength and stamina daily and do not have the incessant pain I did just a year ago. As I continue to follow their 8-phase program, I see myself entering the phase of full and sustained recovery. Their website is http://thechrysaliseffect.com/

• karen September 17, 2014 at 12:43 am

WELL SINCE IT IS ONLY IN EUROPE NO ONE IN THE STATES HAS THE MONEY. THEY HAVE ALREADY SPENT IT ON HUNDREDS OF PILLS, PROGRAMS, BRACES, ETC THAT DONT WORK :( XXOO

5. Peter Smith Talking Cures September 14, 2014 at 12:31 am

Perchance to dream, This paper is nothing more than searching for research for more funding by once again making a mysterious multifaceted illness biological in cause – when it is neither? When FM affects so many areas of the body how can any biological treatment be affected to all at the same time? This extremely painful and life destroying disorder is an expression of the entire body chemistry as instructed by the subconscious mind as the instructions never change yet the body attempts to cleanse itself of the now toxic and caustic chemicals it appears the condition is either affecting another area or gone away. http://talkingcures.co.uk/illness%20or%20Toxic%20Shock.html

6. Edna September 13, 2014 at 5:57 pm

I have run the gamut with fibromyalgia and pray there really is a cure on the way. I know too many people suffering with this and no one else understanding the pain we go through on a daily basis. My fingertips hurt just lightly typing on my smartphone so maybe there is something to the hand theory. For me destressing on a daily basis helps me cope along with my Cymbalta. Bring on the cure…I am ready.

Quantcast