Fibromyalgia Mystery Finally Solved!

Researchers Find Main Source of Pain in Blood Vessels

Fibromyalgia Mystery Finally Solved! Researchers Find Main Source of Pain in Blood Vessels

Researchers have found the main source of pain in Fibromyalgia patients, and contrary to what many believe, it does not stem from the brain. The findings mark the end of a decades-old mystery about the disease, which many doctors believed was conjured in patients’ imaginations. The mystery of Fibromyalgia has left millions of sufferers searching for hope in pain medications. Up until recently, many physicians thought that the disease was “imaginary” or psychological, but scientists have now revealed that the main source of pain stems from a most unlikely place- excess blood vessels in the hand.

The discovery may lead to new treatments and perhaps even a total cure in the future, bringing relief to as many as 5 million Americans thought to have the disease. To solve the Fibromyalgia mystery, researchers zeroed in on the skin from the hand of one patient who had a lack of the sensory nerve fibers, causing a reduced reaction to pain. They then took skin samples from the hands of Fibromyalgia patients and were surprised to find an extremely excessive amount of a particular type of nerve fiber called arteriole-venule (AV) shunts.

Up until this point scientists had thought that these fibers were only responsible for regulating blood flow, and did not play any role in pain sensation, but now they’ve discovered that there is a direct link between these nerves and the widespread body pain that Fibromyalgia sufferers feel.

The breakthrough also could solve the lingering question of why many sufferers have extremely painful hands as well as other “tender points” throughout the body, and why cold weather seems to aggravate the symptoms. In addition to feeling widespread deep tissue pain, many Fibromyalgia patients also suffer from debilitating fatigue.

Neuroscientist Dr. Frank L. Rice explained: “We previously thought that these nerve endings were only involved in regulating blood flow at a subconscious level, yet here we had evidences that the blood vessel endings could also contribute to our conscious sense of touch… and also pain,” Rice said. “This mismanaged blood flow could be the source of muscular pain and achiness, and the sense of fatigue which are thought to be due to a build-up of lactic acid and low levels of inflammation fibromyalgia patients. This, in turn, could contribute to the hyperactivity in the brain.”

Current treatments for the disease have not brought complete relief to the millions of sufferers. Therapies include narcotic pain medicines; anti-seizure drugs, anti-depressants and even simple advice such as “get more sleep and exercise regularly.” Now that the cause of Fibromyalgia has been pinpointed, patients are looking forward to an eventual cure. Other expressed frustration about how much they had suffered already:

“When are they ever going to figure out that things are never “all in your head?” said one commenter. “Whenever something doesn’t fit in their tiny little understanding, they belittle the patient and tell them they are crazy. People have suffered through this since they were invented. Prescribing SSRIs for everything is not the answer any more than a lobotomy or hysterectomy was.”

The announcement has the potential to unlock better future treatments and undoubtedly has patients all over the world rejoicing that the mystery of Fibromyalgia has finally been solved.

RELATED: Fibromyalgia: Proof of Physical Origins Vs. Two Danish Psychiatrists

By: Rebecca Savastio

Source: Redorbit

Source: Womenshealth.gov

Source: Yahoo News

2,932 Responses to "Fibromyalgia Mystery Finally Solved!"

1. carol Beadle   February 11, 2016 at 7:37 am

I was diagnosed with fibro 11 years ago. I was tanking all kinds of meds, all listed in these comments. I believe with everything in me that its inherated. I watched my Dad and my Aunt,[ his sister} suffer for years. I always wondered what the problem was. My dad lived all his life on the couch suffering from mystery pain. No one could help either one of them.

2. Kimble DeMoss   February 2, 2016 at 4:05 am

I have suffered with fibromyalgia now for Six years following Two Hip Replacements . I was in a lot of Pain for a year and a half before they found out my problem,bc I was also diagnosed with DDD in my Back and was on Crutches a year before they finally replaced my Hips. But after Surgeries my Pain continued and I’m still dealing with my pain. I had to give up my Buisness that I had & loved doing , My life has never been the same . I now stay home all the time, fighting the pain…

3. Joy   January 31, 2016 at 1:41 am

I too believe my fibromyalgia was triggered by surgery, I had 3 surgery a in 2 yrs., was fine before , now I can’t even work.

4. Jan barker   January 27, 2016 at 3:41 pm

Sufferers please go to wwwfibromyalgiatreatment.com and read this book What your Dr may not tell you about Fibromyalgia. The “Protocol” worked for me n I suffered for 25yrs. Now 5yrs way less pain no drugs, it’s a strict protocol but way worth it. Please try for your own sake. Jan Barker.

5. Cheryl Rose   January 22, 2016 at 12:26 pm

I am so pleased to know that the mystery has finally been solved. I was diagnosed with HORSESHOE kidneys in 1987, Fybromyalgia in 2005 and Acoustic Neuroma in 2013. The pain that I endure with the three is overwhelming. I am a person who fights back and I have a strong pain threshold. I am eternally grateful God for His hand that rests upon .me , and the fact that Fybromyalgia is finally understood.

6. scallop2016   January 18, 2016 at 12:32 am

I’m so glad research has come so far I’m a suffer from 2002 and it’s old that some of my drotors think I’m nuts but I’m one of the ones that have an extreme time with the cold

7. Sharon   January 16, 2016 at 2:07 am

My sister has fibromyalgia & I am sure this was brought on by trauma to her body after surgery in her neck for bulging discs.
    Mood can make my sister feel worse but isn’t thT the same for any illness. If you are in hospital & your family or friends visit it makes you feel better. No mystery. I will keep you all in my prayers. Be kind to yourselves

8. Mary   January 13, 2016 at 11:47 pm

I have suffered with fibromyalgia for three decades now. I get relief from the chronic pain from ingesting medical marijuana I a coconut oil basement which I maker myself from ground up, or bud form. I have far less fibromyalgia pain, and less frequent Raynauds attacks now that I stopped using cymbalta, lorazepam, lyrica, ativan, ssri’s, and all the other pain causing terrible bad medications forced on me. IT NEVER WAS A SYNDROME. SEEK HELP WITH CHINESE HERBAL REMEDIES. I FEEL BETTER. NOT CURED, BETTER.

9. Jeff   January 13, 2016 at 6:28 am

I’ll believe it when I see it! Til then, I’ll be painfully waiting! I am a Male patient that developed it from a major shoulder surgery. Prior to the surgery I was perfectly normal!!