Organ transplants cellular memory is a premise which exemplifies that our brain is not the only organ that stores personality traits and memories because major organs may have self-contained brains.  This is not a new theory because imaginative writers have already written about this concept in the 17th century, which is long before organ transplants were even believed possible.

In our modern culture, cellular memory was first studied in heart transplant recipients when the patients displayed strange cravings, change in tastes, cravings and mild personality.  Major organs like the heart, liver, kidney, and even muscles are known to contain large populations of neural networks, which are self-contained brains and produce noticeable changes. Acquired combinatorial memories in organ transplants could enable transferred organs to respond to patterns familiar to the organ donors, and it may be triggered by emotional signals. Science discovered evidence that nervous system organs store memories and respond to places, events, and people recognized by their donors.

Gary Schwartz has documented the cases of 74 patients, 23 of whom were heart transplant recipients. Transfers of memories have not been reported in simpler transplants like corneas because they don’t contain large population of neurons. Dr. Andrew Armour a pioneer in neurocardiology suggests that the brain has two-way communication links with the “little brain in the heart.” The intelligence of neural brains in organs depends on memories stored in nerve cells.

Modern Examples

Cellular memory in organ transplants patients proving that major organs have self-contained brains were recorded by scientists with the help of hospital systems that forbids a transplant recipient to communicate with the donor’s family. One of the few cases was with a Claire Sylvia, who changed her food preferences after she received her heart, and lung transplants in the 1970s from an eighteen-year old male donor. When she woke up, she claimed to have profound craving for chicken nuggets, beer, and green peppers, foods she didn’t enjoy before the surgery.

Some documented cases were even extreme and perplexing like the 47-year-old man who was a recipient of a 17-year-old black boy’s heart killed in a drive-by shooting. This boy has an intense fondness for classical music, and the patient claimed his new heart was responsible for the sudden onset of eating disorder, which was indicative of the previous heart owner who was a 14-year-old girl.

One of the most stunning examples was found in an eight-year-old girl who received a heart from a ten-year-old girl who was murdered. The organ donor recipient was perplexed with vivid nightmares about an attacker and a girl being murdered. The psychiatrist believed that her memories are genuine and due to the violent recurring dreams, the recipient could describe the events, and the murderer was later apprehended by the police.

Other common recorded quirks have been changes in temperament, attitude, vocabulary, philosophies, patience levels, and tastes in music and food. The most notable was published in Near-Death studies magazine in 2002 entitled “Changes in Heart Transplant Recipients That Parallel the Personalities of Their Donors.”

How Cellular Memory Work

Personality changes that patient’s encounter after organ transplants were coined by doctors as Cellular Memory Phenomenon.  Some examples are even more spectacular but received little attention.

There are biological theories like the presence of neuropeptides, which is the way of the brain to speak to other bodily organs and for other organs to relay information back. Although the discovery that neuropeptides exist in all tissues, no one really knows if they can store memories. So, why do organ transplants recipient have these experiences?

While skeptics speculate that patients are under anesthesia, they hear nurses and doctors talking about the donor, no donor organs arrived with a complete personality profile. What part does the rest of our body play in our thoughts and actions?  On the assumption that major organs have self-contained brains, would organ transplants cellular memory change the life of the recipients?

Written by: Janet Grace Ortigas

19 Responses to "Organ Transplants Cellular Memory Proves Major Organs Have Self-Contained Brains?"

1. Man from Modesto   August 30, 2016 at 3:46 am

The article is interesting. I have heard other anecdotal stories. One man began to crave chili and beer. After a few days driving past a roadside diner, he stopped in and ate chili and drank beer. He later learned learned the donor had been a regular at the diner. He’d loved chili and beer.
    Re: Sylvia Browne- that woman is a quack who works with demons. Do not even bring one of her books into your home, read a page in the bookstore, or watch her on the Internet.

2. mc   November 29, 2015 at 1:49 am

my bf had a kidney transplant and now his personality has changed a little,it is creeping me out.and i dont know what to do about it,he has become mean and disrespectful towards me,he was never like that before,and he is lazy now, he used to be so intelligent and driven and out going,and he loved the out doors and golf,now all he does is sit in his chair and watch TV. he doesn’t talk to me unless he wants something,we used to be so close we were best friends and did everything together ,now he acts as if i don’t exist.

3. sandra Newchurch   December 17, 2014 at 4:53 am

My partner has had 3 liver transplants in 8 years, the first 2 were within 6 weeks of each other. After his 2nd transplant he was waking up screaming, feeling the pain from the donor, not physical but emotional, his food preferences changed dramatically as well. suddenly he didn’t like food he had previously eaten for years. His 3rd transplant just 8 months ago has again changed his likes & dislikes with food & he is noticeably calmer within himself. I have witnessed these changes first hand & truly believe that f the donor must somehow connect with the recipient. For my partner it’s great to be alive.

• roslyn   June 11, 2015 at 6:45 pm

Wow, I think this is fascinating!!! in a lot of there is no way legally you or anyone could ever locate their donors?

4. Brian   November 7, 2014 at 5:20 am

Sounds plausible. There are many things we know nothing about when it comes to the human body. Perhaps some research facility will spend some money and investigate this.

5. Adam   October 27, 2014 at 10:06 am

Anecdote and Hearsay don’t do it for me. If anyone has empirical data about this phenomenon I would be interested.

6. Justice   June 11, 2014 at 10:17 pm

bill: This article is NOT written by Janet Grace Ortigras. She plagiarized this from a nut by the name of Pearsall.

7. LTsuki   May 27, 2014 at 4:03 am

To anyone who reading this and has had personality changes after a transplant… If you would be willing to speak to me I am doing a study on the phenomenon and really would love to hear your story. All details will be kept anon I have set up a mailing address where we can speak or you can ask me questions about myself before we do anything.
    Just in short though:
    I am a 24 year old Integrated Medicine student going into my 3rd year, I am training in Western, Chinese Traditional and Five Element Medicine. I have also been a sufferer of poor health and had my Kidney removed at the end of 2012.

I would really love to speak to anyone who feels they can help me discover/theorize the reasons for these changes much like the article above! I will make no financial gain from this.

The mailing address is:
    [email protected]

Many Thanks for your time 🙂

8. Kelly Hie   February 12, 2014 at 9:50 pm

My daughter had two liver transplants and after the first one would only drink grape juice something she hated prior. Now after the second transplant she loves seafood something she really hated, and now craves it

9. Venecia Williams   January 26, 2014 at 5:48 am

A good book to read about cell memory is: “Past lives, future healing” by: Sylvia Browne.

10. Bette Luksha-Gammell   January 23, 2014 at 1:37 pm

I grew up on seafood- after my double lung transplant I could not stomach even the smell of seafood. I still craved it,but no matter how I tried just could not touch it.
    After my 2nd lung transplant I now crave it 24/7 and it is once again my favorite !
    Someof you can say this is ridiculous, however just because it didn’t happen to you does not mean it doesn’t happen to others.

11. Kitty W.   January 21, 2014 at 6:49 pm

I received a kidney 7 months ago. It was a deceased donor that I have no information about. Two months ago, I began eating whole wheat crackers which I NEVER did before. Not only do I eat them, but I eat half a box a day. So my craving can’t be from what I knew about the donor. Something changed after my transplant.

12. bill   January 13, 2014 at 9:15 am

I know modern writers are in a hurry and crank out a dozen stories a day; but for the love of god please edit your article before publishing. Half the story doesn’t make sense.

13. Matt P   December 16, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Not necessarily “horse hockey” Steve Cain. I had a kidney transplant 7 weeks ago, and for the past 3 weeks I have began to develop a bizarre craving for chocolate. I am unaware if the donor craved chocolate, only that she was a smoker and was 4 years older than me. Pre transplant I enjoyed the odd chocolate, but this was quite rare and not at all like my recent experiences. I guess I’d rather inherit my donors love of cocoa than her love of tobacco.

14. JoAnn Haji   December 15, 2013 at 3:34 pm

I never had a name for this phenomenon. In 2008, I had a kidney transplant. I though I was losing my mind. I wanted to drink beer like my donor and gatorade. Can’t stand either but I later learned they were my donors favorites. Freaky maybe. True yes.

15. Ted   December 3, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Wait, whose heart did the 47 year old man receive? I think the author is making this up as they go along.

16. Bob   July 29, 2013 at 9:56 pm

I believe this to be true! A lot of times, I fund myself thinking with my little head!

17. Steve Cain   June 22, 2013 at 9:26 am

Anecdotal, unsubstantiated horse hockey! The above article simply shows that some people will believe damn near anything. Evidence from properly controlled, repeatable studies? Oh, that sounds too sciencey and hard! Their soft, under worked brains can’t handle that, so we’re left with….my cousin’s work friend has an uncle who’s neighbors, brother-in-laws grandmother had…(fill in the blank with your favorite tripe).

18. David Barless   June 12, 2013 at 2:18 pm

I had a kidney transplant in 2009 (got one from my mom), and now I can’t tolerate caffeine anymore. She is highly sensitive to caffeine, and I used to be able to drink more than a few cups of coffee without feeling it. Now if I have one I shake and sweat like crazy…interesting….