Religion to Disappear By 2041 Claims New Study

Religion to Disappear By 2038 Claims New Study

Author and noted biopsychologist Nigel Barber has completed a new study that shows Atheism is most prevalent in developed countries, and, according to his projections, religion will completely disappear by 2041. His findings are discussed in his new book “Why Atheism Will Replace Religion.” A new study that clarifies his earlier research will be published in August. His findings focus on studying trends within countries around the world and the fact that “Atheists are heavily concentrated in economically developed countries”-

In my new study of 137 countries (1), I also found that atheism increases for countries with a well-developed welfare state (as indexed by high taxation rates). Moreover, countries with a more equal distribution of income had more atheists. My study improved on earlier research by taking account of whether a country is mostly Moslem (where atheism is criminalized) or formerly Communist (where religion was suppressed) and accounted for three-quarters of country differences in atheism.

His main thesis stems from the phenomenon of religion declining as personal wealth increases. He cites the reason as people having less of a need for supernatural beliefs when the tangible, natural world is providing for their needs. He says the majority of the world will come to view religion as completely irrelevant by 2041.

Political Scientist Eric Kaufmann holds the opposite view, citing the fact that Atheists have fewer children than religious people. He thinks this could indicate the religious mindset will proliferate due to religious folks simply breeding more than Atheists. But what is the significance of the prolific breeding of religious people?

Biotechnologist Thomas Rees poses this question in his essay “Will the Religious Inherit the Earth?” In this piece, he discusses Kaufmann’s research and comes to the conclusion that the breeding aspect could tip the odds in favor of the religious purely due to fertility and childbearing rates among them.

Barber, however, dismisses the breeding-related evidence, saying “…Yet, noisy as they can be, such groups are tiny minorities of the global population and they will become even more marginalized as global prosperity increases and standards of living improve.”

He also says that as women become more integrated into the workforce, they will have fewer children, even if they are members of a religious fundamentalist group: “Moreover, as religious fundamentalists become economically integrated, young women go to work and produce smaller families, as is currently happening for Utah’s Mormons,” he says.

If a recent PEW study is any indication of a solid answer to the question, Kaufman may be correct. The study, performed by PEW in 2012, indicates a huge upswing in Atheism, with 20% of Americans now identifying as Agnostic, Atheist or “Unaffiliated” with a religion. This number represents the largest percentage of people in PEW’s history of polling who identify as non-religious.

It is clear that the growth of Atheism or “unaffiliated” people is growing at an incredibly rapid rate in the United States, but it seems that being non-religious is also exploding globally. The UK’s Daily Mail reported an extensive 2010 study that showed unaffiliated individuals as the “third largest global group” behind Christians and Muslims, placing the unaffiliated ahead of Hindus, Buddists, Jews and all other religious affliations.

Related Articles: Roman Catholic Church Being Deconstructed – Declared Criminal; Pope Francis Admits a Top Secret Vatican ‘Gay Lobby’

By: Rebecca Savastio

Source: Huffington Post

Source: Sci Blog

Source: Epiphenom

Source: The Blaze

Source: Daily Mail

201 Responses to Religion to Disappear By 2041 Claims New Study

1. Charles B. December 5, 2013 at 7:45 am

Eventually, humans will come to the end of their childhood, and all the fantasy creatures of that period will come to be known as products of our imagination. It happens with Santa, the Easter Bunny, the tooth fairy, and all the other characters of myth and legend- all of the gods in history have eventually come to nothing. Mankind will evolve past the need.

• KC December 5, 2013 at 8:08 am

Well stated. Let me go on to say… Christianity and other religions wouldn’t even exist had our EARLY ancestors understood meteorology and astrophysics.

2. River November 7, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Eric Kaufmann hypothesis does not make any sense, most of our predecessors did come from a religious background and CAN give birth to children who turn out to be atheists. I for one was raised in a religious family, taught Sunday school, sang in church choir all of that stuff, yet when I became an adult I realized that was not my belief, I only did what my parents asked of me. I gave my kids a choice I had 3, I married a religious man, had my kids went to church and I let them formulate their own belief system. They are all atheist. So my friend. I just multiplied myself by 3 what do you think of that. He is full of BS.

3. qilin November 7, 2013 at 11:41 am

Jolly good news, isn’t it? We’ve only to manage that all people in the world are provided for their needs naturally by 2041, then they don’t need supernatural consolation any more.
    And if they still should do so, it doesn’t matter that much. Having their needs fulfilled, they can wait for the great, noble goal a trifle longer…

4. Jack November 6, 2013 at 12:38 pm

While I do see religion eventually disappearing, I think 2041 is way too soon. Especially in places like the U.S. and much of the Middle East.

5. Eoin August 22, 2013 at 6:30 pm

I think forcing children into specific religious belief is inhumane and barbaric. I’m constantly amazed that religious people strip their children of informed decision making and free choice, just to justify their own fantastical beliefs! Are you so scared that your intelligent children will realise religion is myth that you deem it necessary to brainwash them when they are unable to defend themselves? Shocking self justification and narrowmindedness.

• Mejece October 1, 2013 at 12:29 am

You know, when you point one finger, there’s three pointing back at you. :)

• Eoin October 1, 2013 at 4:08 pm

Sigh, if the best you can do in this discussion is quote cliches, it’s obvious you don’t have any valid points to add. Perhaps I should lay down some overused cliches, oh wait I actually have a point to make…. Honestly it’s a discussion not some 2 bit sermon where cliches and vagueness are proffered rather than intelligent conversation. Nice job being brainwashed there lady…..

• Russ December 4, 2013 at 8:10 am

Being brainwashed from childhood can be a hard thing to overcome for some people like Mejece

• MM November 4, 2013 at 8:41 pm

I’m glad syllogisms are your choice of logic

Quantcast