Your iPhone May Physically Shock You

shock

Most products today have their own power supply that needs to be charged with electricity to keep your phone enabled to complete tasks. Your phone may deliver a shocking result when in use. There have been few cases lately of people being physically shocked by their iPhone.

In the latest Australian incident, a woman in her 20s, from the Sydney suburb of Chatswood, was taken by ambulance to the Royal North Shore Hospital after allegedly receiving a shock from her iPhone. Luckily, she received minor injuries and was in stable condition. It is not known whether the phone was plugged into the charger during the incident. A spokeswoman  for the hospital stated paramedics had responded to a number of shocks from mobile phone chargers this year.

New South Wales Ambulance has attended to 232 emergency calls for iPhone electric shocks in the first six months of this year, Sydney’s Daily Telegraph reported. The spokeswoman said mobile phone users should keep an eye on their phone’s connection. “If the appliances are dusty, they should be given a vacuum clean,” she said, suggesting that dust could get into the terminals and cause a short circuit.

Inspector John Brotherhood of the ambulance service warned that a slight shock could cause serious health problems. “It takes only a small shock to interfere with your heart. Basically, if the jolt moves you, if it takes your breath away, or if it’s at all a cause for concern, you need to get it checked out.”

Earlier this month, air stewardess Ma Ailun was killed by an electric shock when she answered a call on her iPhone 5 while it was charging. News of the death of the 23-year-old was posted on the Internet by her sister, prompting criticism of Apple among the country’s millions of iPhone users. “I want to warn everyone else not to make phone calls when your mobile phone is recharging,” her sister wrote.

Miss Ma, who was due to marry in August, was said to have bought her iPhone 5 in December from an official store in her hometown in the Xinjiang province. Her brother told a Hong Kong newspaper the phone had been handed to Chinese authorities for examination. Miss Ma’s brother, Yuelun, told Apple Daily that the family believes she died from an electric shock while answering a call. In addition, to the phone the accessories and charging units have been handed over to Chinese authorities.

Apple, immediately replied advising they had launched a “thorough investigation” adding, “We are deeply saddened to learn of this tragic incident and offer our condolences to the family. We will fully investigate and co-operate with authorities in this matter.”

This warning also comes after Chinese man Wu Jiantong reportedly fell into a coma after suffering an electric shock as he plugged in his iPhone 4 to charge. He collapsed at around 10p.m. on Monday after connecting his iPhone 4 to a charger at home in Beijing. He owned the phone for two years.

“He shouted ‘electric shock’ and then fell to the floor,” Wu’s sister told the Xinhua news agency, adding that she felt a slight shock herself when she tried to unplug the faulty charger, which she said was not official Apple hardware.

An Apple spokesman said: “It was with great sadness we learned through press reports that a Beijing customer was injured while using a ‘knock off’ or counterfeit charger, and we are looking into this further. Our customer’s safety is very important to us, and we have carefully designed all Apple products to meet government safety standards. We recommend our customers only purchase Apple products from Apple or authorized Apple resellers.”

Make sure that your accessories are certified from Apple.  If you purchase a universal or generic charger, there is now the higher risk, of electric physical shock. It might just be good practice to turn your iPhone off during charging, and avoid making a call while it is do so. In addition, unplug the unit first from the wall and then remove the charging USB before powering on the iPhone.

Forrest L. Rawls

Source 1 2

3 Responses to Your iPhone May Physically Shock You

  1. Divebus December 9, 2013 at 3:39 pm

    Apple: “It was with great sadness we learned through press reports that a Beijing customer was injured while using a “knock off” or counterfeit charger”. There you go.

    Reply
  2. J.Potucek October 30, 2013 at 10:06 am

    Stupid people who try to use a phone,while it’s charging!

    Reply

We will read your comment immediately so leave a remark!

RSS Guardian Express

  • Nokia Halts Lumia 2520 Tablet Due to Faulty Chargers April 17, 2014
    Nokia has halted the sale of its new Lumia 2520 tablet due to faulty chargers. Those who currently have the tablet are being warned to stop using the AC-300 charger right now. There are fears that the fault could lead to electric shocks. The good news is there are no confirmed incidents yet. The news […]
    Alexandria Ingham
  • J.K. Rowling Continues Potterverse With Ginny Weasley April 17, 2014
    J.K. Rowling has continued her Potterverse with articles written by Ginny Weasley, under her married name Ginny Potter. The Harry Potter author is continuing with works that she knows will make her money, and focusing on the Quidditch World Cup. It seems like she cannot get enough of her fictional world, and who can blame […]
    Alexandria Ingham
  • Brett Favre and the Green Bay Packers, Can They Reconcile April 17, 2014
    Everyone in Packer land has an opinion on what happened between the Green Bay Packers and Favre. Thompson, Executive Vice President of the team, and Brett Favre were unable to come to an agreement after the 2007 season. The deal left a bad taste for a lot of fans, wondering why Thompson would let their […]
    Jabar Morarend
  • Republican Party Backs Cory Gardner at Colorado State Assembly April 17, 2014
    Last weekend Colorado Republicans held their State Assembly in Greenwood Village to gear up for an ever more closely contested election to be held in November.  The Assembly showed just how strongly the Republican Party backs current U.S. House Representative Cory Gardner within state ranks as their candidate for the available Colorado seat in the […]
    Joseph Porter
  • Bottle of Wine Is NSW Premier’s Undoing April 17, 2014
    Red, red wine, goes to your head, sang UB40 back in the eighties. “Makes you forget..” It certainly had a potent effect on Premier of New South Wales, Barry O’ Farrell’s memory. The NSW premier completely forgot he had been given a bottle of the most expensive wine ever produced in Australia, the legendary Penfold’s […]
    Kate Henderson

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 627 other subscribers

Quantcast