Unique Stem Cell Therapy for MS Patients

Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Approved

Unique Stem Cell Therapy for MS Patients

Multiple sclerosis.net reports that doctors have been exploring the possibility of stem cells to treat and possibly cure Multiple Sclerosis (MS). Lisa Emrich, with Multiple sclerosis.net, gives an overview of this new therapy on the organization’s website.

In the past few days, reports Emrich, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved a brand new path involving the employment of stem cells as an Investigational New Drug (IND).

This clinical study is being used to analyze the protection and efficiency of autologous mesenchymal stem cells, neural derived antecedent cells, in treating progressive MS in patients.

The neural antecedent cells are the cells which become neurons and alternative system cells. The oligodendrocytes have been shown to inspire neural repair as well as the regeneration of neurons, as experimented with mice in 2012. Mesenchymal stem cells are derived from adult bone marrow, which may be differentiated into alternative varieties of cells, such as neural antecedent cells. The mesenchymal stem cells are obtained from human, or animal, bone marrow.

Researcher at the Tisch MS center, conjointly referred to as the Disseminated Sclerosis Center of New York, Saud Sadiq, MD, and Violaine Harris, PHD, have recruited nearly twenty patients with progressive MS. These patients have been chosen from an existing list compiled by the International Multiple Sclerosis Management practice located in Manhattan. These patients are within the outlined path, however the enrollment has not been transfer as yet.

Each patient participating in the path will have their bone marrow from the MSC-NPs isolated, dilated, and tested before the injections during this trail period. Over the six month trial period that has been sketched out, each patient will be given up to three rounds of injections of the stem directly injected into the cerebrospinal fluid. Each participant in the study will have a follow ups until the end of the trial 27 months after the final injection.

Despite the fact that there are similar studies being done in the United Kingdom, Dr. Saud A. Sadiq suggests the United States is the primary country to participate in this path due to the amount of injections of stem cells directly into the cerebrospinal fluid of MS patients.

The trail’s main objective is to work out the protection of autologous MSC-NPs in MS patients who meet the criteria after the baseline screening. Another objective of the trial is to look at trends in effectiveness over the course of the three year study.

This path does not involve the simultaneous administration of high-dose chemotherapeutical medication in order to lower the patient’s immune system before stem cell transplantation. This is in contrast to the ongoing High-Dose Immunological Disorder and Autologous Transplantation for Multiple Sclerosis Study conducted by the National Institute of Health. This trial conjointly involves multiple intrathecal, instead of endovenous, injections of stem cells to directly target regenerative mechanisms within the central nervous system.

Researchers at Tisch MS center are excited to move forward with this run which represents ten years of somatic cell analysis. The analysis has been delayed for about three years due to regulatory problems, though the study was initially approved by the International Cellular Drugs Society (ICMS), which is an Institutional Review Board (IRB), in November 2011.

By Landi Bezuidenhout

Source 1

23 Responses to Unique Stem Cell Therapy for MS Patients

1. rosemarie scribner November 9, 2013 at 1:17 pm

I FEEL THERE IS STILL HOPE FOR ME BUT THE CLINICAL TRIAL I AM IS NOT GIVING ME THE DRUG.SO I AM JUST WASTING MY TIME.I NEED SOMEONE TO HELP ME BEFORE I BECOME DISABLED!! THE TRIAL IS OCRELIZUMAB I HAVE BEEN IN IT FOR OVER 1 YEAR,YOU WOULD THINK THEY WOULD START GIVING ME THE DRUG SO I CAN START LIVING AGAIN
    Rosemarie

2. STUART August 31, 2013 at 7:10 pm

I had the same theray 5 yrs ago and i have ppms. I truly believe it has helped me tremendously. I rec’d 72 million cells in a 28 day period. It was done in Costa Rica, but it was done the Chinese way.
    I also observed people that came in and coulnt walk and after the treatment left on crutches, a kid with Autism that after the treatment seemed totally different. In a good way

• peg court September 2, 2013 at 3:44 pm

I have ppms x 5 years. Am interested.

3. STUART August 31, 2013 at 7:05 pm

4. Alice August 31, 2013 at 6:18 am

Go to http://www.imsmp.org to find out more about Dt.Sadiq’s practice.

5. ann August 30, 2013 at 5:14 pm

There are a number of studies of multiple sclerosis and stem cells recruiting participants on the US government web site, http://clinicaltrials.gov/

6. Abby Green August 30, 2013 at 4:43 pm

I have PPMS Would this do me any good? I read they are in process of making a medicine which could heal certain lesions on brain and spinal cord is that true??

7. teresa August 30, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Thank you I had MS and these shot every 3 day’s really starting to hurt really bad

8. Avis Liza Gonzalez August 30, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Im willing to try , this illness is hungry and is eating me.

9. Landi Bezuidenhout August 30, 2013 at 11:47 am

Follow the above links, there is always updates on MS. This has been really hard for me and my family, as my father was perfectly healthy before March this year, just all of a sudden, his life turned around just like that, in and out of hospital, always worried what’s going to happen, when is the next attack…There is not a day that goes past, that we do not stop stressing and hoping that there will be a cure soon.

10. RS Mallory August 30, 2013 at 11:16 am

Argghhhh, MORE toxic meds from BIG PHARMA! Human Beings are made with THEIR OWN Stem Cells (responsible for GROWING a baby to adulthood) and they can be Awakened and Nourished so that they can help rebuild, repair and rejuvenate your own body and whatever is wrong with it. Read more about your own body’s abilities at http://budurl.com/WhyFeedYourCells

11. Donna M. Ball August 30, 2013 at 10:56 am

Could you tell me if this procedure could help people with Transverse Myelitis, as my granddaughter has. Thanks you if there is any kind of studies going on for this.

12. Cheri Carter August 30, 2013 at 10:21 am

My mother and my brother have MS….it has taken its toll on my mother and she is ready to die she says…..please help her and my brother.

13. judy August 30, 2013 at 9:38 am

I want to sign my son up for this study. He was just told that is relapsing/remitting has progressed after 15 years..

• Alice August 31, 2013 at 6:12 am

Judy, lookup Dr.Sadiq practice on Facebook to find out how .Also, they have website http://WWW.IMSPM.ORG

14. roxanne chesebro August 30, 2013 at 9:27 am

How do we apply?

• debannholt August 30, 2013 at 9:37 am

If we are unable to participate in the trials is there at least a way for us to be up to date on the results as they occur?

15. gary August 30, 2013 at 7:33 am

this sounds to good to be true, I have ppms,, would this work for me

We will read your comment immediately so leave a remark!

RSS Guardian Express

• Giancarlo Stanton Slam Gives Miami Win: Marlins Matters April 19, 2014
    Giancarlo Stanton hit a dramatic ninth inning walk-off grand slam to send the Miami Marlins to victory over the Seattle Mariners by a score of 8-4. The walk-off four-run homer was the fifth in Marlins history; the second by Stanton. Stanton’s home run may not have occurred, were it not for an overturned call that […]
    Robert Pannier
  • Gwen Stefani Will Replace Christina Aguilera for Season 7 of The Voice April 19, 2014
    Gwen Stefani of No Doubt will be joining Pharrell Williams as a judge in Season 7 of The Voice, replacing Christina Aguilera, who is pregnant, according to multiple sources. She has reportedly signed on for the upcoming seventh season of The Voice, which will begin taping this June, though there’s no word yet if she’ll […]
    Douglas Cobb
  • Carolina Panthers First Round Review: NFL Draft Daily [Video] April 19, 2014
    The Carolina Panthers had one heck of a season. Carolina made the playoffs for the first time since 2008, and it was their first division title since then as well. Cam Newton was consistently better at not turning over the ball as much in years past, and the defense put mediocrity aside for a season; […]
    Justin Huffman
  • Giancarlo Stanton Turning Into Most Feared Power Hitter in MLB April 19, 2014
    With one more titanic swing of the bat from Giancarlo Stanton’s hulking 6’6″ frame, the Miami Marlins slugger buried the Seattle Mariners 8-4 with a walk-off grand slam on Friday. It was the second walk-off slam in Stanton’s young career, and the fifth in Marlins’ history. The right fielder now leads the majors with six […]
    Justin Hussong
  • MLB Guardian Liberty Voice Power Rankings: Atlanta Braves on the Warpath April 19, 2014
    With the second best record in baseball, the Atlanta Braves find themselves in first in the Guardian Liberty Voice Baseball power rankings for week 3 of the MLB season. The Atlanta Braves have clearly been on the warpath, crushing the Washington Nationals last weekend in sweeping them, then taking two of three from the Philadelphia Phillies. […]
    Robert Pannier