God – The World’s Most Prolific Mass Murderer

God The World's Most Prolific Mass Murderer

“[God is] a vindictive bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser, a misogynistic, homophobic racist, an infanticidal, genocidal, phillicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.”–Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion

God in the Old Testament is the most prolific mass murderer the world has ever known. In the Old Testament, God kills more people than any one single figure in real life. Even in literature it is hard to recall any character who kills so rapidly and in such tremendous numbers. God is also a mass murderer who is very quick to slay his victims. He can be provoked by something as simple as a complaint, such as in Numbers 16:41-49 when the Israelites tell God he is slaughtering too many of them. In this case, God responds by killed 14,000 additional people.

But God can also be incited to murder by the most minor infraction, such as in 2 Kings 2:23-24, when God sends a bear to disembowel children for teasing a prophet. Sometimes, God kills for seemingly no reason at all, like in Judges 16:27-30 when God imbues Samson with the ability to kill 3,000 Philistines just because Samson wants to. In 2 Kings 1:9-10, God burns 50 men to prove that he is, indeed, God.

In his book Drunk with Blood: God’s Killings in the Bible, author Steve Wells provides an estimate of the number of people murdered by God in the Bible, and says that by his calculations after careful study, God in the Old Testament kills a total of 2,821,364 people where numbers are actually stated directly; however, the number is much higher- 25 million people-when estimates in which no numbers are stated are tallied, such as in Deuteronomy 2:32-35:

32 When Sihon and all his army came out to meet us in battle at Jahaz, 33 the Lord our God delivered him over to us and we struck him down, together with his sons and his whole army. 34 At that time we took all his towns and completely destroyed[a] them—men, women and children. We left no survivors. 35 But the livestock and the plunder from the towns we had captured we carried off for ourselves.

There is no number given here, only “we took all his towns and…we left no survivors.” In cases such as this, where no exact tally is available, Wells used a book called the Atlas of World Population History to derive estimates of how many people would have been living in a similar town of that time period.

Wells goes on the point out that Satan in the Bible only kills ten people, and most of those were because God prompted him to do so. In his book, Wells provides a chart that shows each killing incident along with the actual biblical number or an estimate derived from the atlas to arrive at the totals.

An example of a killing incident in which a specific number-500,000- is given can be found in 2 Chronicles 13:15-18:

15 and the men of Judah raised the battle cry. At the sound of their battle cry, God routed Jeroboam and all Israel before Abijah and Judah. 16 The Israelites fled before Judah, and God delivered them into their hands. 17 Abijah and his troops inflicted heavy losses on them, so that there were five hundred thousand casualties among Israel’s able men. 18 The Israelites were subdued on that occasion, and the people of Judah were victorious because they relied on the Lord, the God of their ancestors.

But it’s not just the huge number of murders God commits in the Bible; it’s also his abundant boasting that makes an impression. God often reminds people of his all-powerful ways and lets them know he can kill anytime he wants to, inciting fear into his subjects at every turn. In this way, he is a tyrant, forcing his people to live in constant terror that they may be burned alive, crushed to death by rocks falling from the sky, torn apart by bears or slaughtered by an army to whom God has given the promise of victory. God also has a fetish for the smell of blood and burning flesh, and this is stated repeatedly in the Bible.

God in the Old Testament is a bloodthirsty mass murderer more reminiscent of a creepy killer in a Hollywood movie than a benevolent, loving father. It is almost surprising that God never asks someone to “put the lotion in the basket,” given his penchant for killing and specifically, the aroma of roasting skin.

The question is, do most people who consider themselves followers of the Bible realize God’s insatiable blood lust, or do they skip over these parts, cherry picking the things that make sense and not reading the unpleasant truths contained therein?

God is unquestionably bloodthirsty, so why is his character so revered? Is it because something in human psychology needs to exist in a state of constant fear? Or perhaps it is because the Bible verses that reveal God as the world’s most prolific mass murderer are conveniently ignored.

By: Rebecca Savastio

(Op-ed)

Source 1

Source 2

9 Responses to "God – The World’s Most Prolific Mass Murderer"

1. Gene Ivie   March 13, 2016 at 3:57 pm

God may have killed 25 million people, but their lives were His to take. If He hadn’t given them life in the first place, He couldn’t have killed them. What about the billions He gave life to that He didn’t kill?

2. Mike   July 27, 2014 at 1:31 pm

If you believe that the bible is true, then you know that God gives life and takes it away. There is no sadness in the loss of life on earth, only the loss of a soul to hell. If you don’t believe the bible, then what does it matter how many people are to have died in it?

3. GODLOVESYOU7   January 13, 2014 at 1:21 pm

Jesus Christ, the Son of God loves you! As a matter of fact He loved you soooo much that He came to Earth and lived a sinless life and died on the Cross for your sins and if you Repent of your sins and accept Him as Lord and Savior, then you will be saved. Jesus Christ loves you! 🙂

4. D   December 10, 2013 at 3:25 pm

After living the past 14 years solely by the Spirit and Truth it is extremely hard and difficult to understand God. Even by understanding my human capacity comes to refuse it. Deliverance is long and suffering and most times I want to leave this walk and go on with what is left. I came to this web site because I am so tired of serving a cruel God. I long for peace, justice, and righteousness but it is constantly in my face that it’s not even close. I live with vexation and the horrible reality of a prison type life. I live with watching lawless men always destroying this world. So, I blame God for it. I blame him for the suffering of animals which is the closest to my heart. I blame him for the destruction of this land and the bloodthirsty men killers that exist in America. So, I find this reading somewhat parallel to the horrible things I know. If he did not spare his son, why would he spare anything else? Deliverance the Christians understand is a delusion. And so today I asked…what am I being delivered to?….eternal life?…and more of the same? Guess what folks…we have no choice at all. Either eternal life or hell. I do know all the deceiving lies that have been fed to the Christians…and they swallow them up and go on with their day. Oh well. I can’t forgive God for the horrible things that he calls “trials”…which have ended in death. I have lived the past 6 years in a pit hole of a town and red-neck men on everyside with all of their guns and all of their dogs and all of their hell…literally coming at me. Hell is here not somewhere else…and white men especially have totally destroyed this land, it’s creatures, trees, and the natives who were here before they came. Why does God love suffering so much? Why did he exterminate 11 million people (6 million jews) in the Holocaust without remorse? In a humans soul it is impossible to understand the penalty of sin…but I agree…why did he make it this way? Why does he boast when we must be humble. Why does he kill when we are commanded not to. Why does he bring evil men against me when all I am is…sorry. Why does he bring an orphaned animal into my life, give it a home, love, and food…only to have them killed later? Christian’s will someday wake up when the horror is in their backyard…call on God, and find out he is not there. Why do Christians believe in peace while holding their guns? OXYMORON There is no peace, and God does not bring it. So why and what is this walk for when most of the time I am extremely unhappy, vexed, and like Job…wishing I was never born, and praising the dead.

5. Chelo Aestrid   September 23, 2013 at 2:45 am

God, the truth, the universe, your reality…is all what you make it. The Bible is at the very least an interesting read, but I can barely remember the last time I used it to guide my life. The Old Testament in particular was written thousands of years ago, in another part of human history that was only able to teach different generations through oral tradition, which has been known to not carry facts well. “God only knows” what really happened back then. The one take away is simply the Golden Rule. If we all live by this, we’d already be a better human race.

6. Dallas Holmes   September 16, 2013 at 9:24 pm

There are college courses that study the God of the Old Testament with the New. The God of the New, Jesus Christ, delivered a clarified message: Love means self-sacrifice and the golden rule. Hope of fair judgements and a better tomorrow. Faith that God will lead us in the best direction if we believe, are willing to work hard, and will always do the right thing. Peace means we will support the non-violent solution to problems except for self-defense. Forgiveness means that we will forgive and forget when another regrets a transgression, but the transgresser must pay the criminal penalty. And, good character includes obeying Gods laws such as the old Ten Commandments and behaviors of honesty, trustworthyness, kindness, generosity, sympathy, impathy, diligence, tenacity, decipline, respect, courtesy, integrity, and loyalty. I suggest that you study and show the contrast between the old and the new. 🙂

7. Rebecca Savastio   September 9, 2013 at 12:58 pm

@Lynn: The numbers are not arbitrary. All you need to do is read the Old Testament. The 2 million plus number is offered very freely among the passages if you add them up. 2 million is a lot of people to kill. The 25 million number is based on estimates of towns from the time period. The character of God is bloodthirsty serial killer. That fact is indisputable. Whether or not someone wants to overlook that fact is entirely up to them, but it seems a rather significant fact to overlook.

8. Lynn Shufritz Schultz   September 9, 2013 at 11:58 am

If we can credit God with the “bad” things, can we credit him with the “good” also? I am not afraid of HIM. If I blame God for all the bad things in my life, then I need to thank HIM for all the wonderful things He has given me also. And you must also believe in Him if you are acknowledging that He has the power to do all these things. Also, I think your numbers are pretty arbitrary. Somebody has WAY too much tie on their hands.

9. vic   September 9, 2013 at 6:29 am

there are no “truths” in the bible unpleasant or otherwise.