GTA V Online Multiplayer Lost Characters Could be Player’s Fault

Rockstar say that some character loss is players fault.

Over the weekend the GTA V Online Multiplayer patch title updates for PS3 and Xbox 360 were made available for downloading. Despite promising that the patch would fix most common issues, there are still a number of players experiencing problems. Most noticeably the character loss problem, which Rockstar are now saying could be the player’s fault.

Since there are still server issues with the Online mode, gamers are getting increasingly frustrated at the problems encountered when they attempt to play multiplayer missions. Rockstar Games have stated on their support page that they are aware of the server problems and are working to sort them out.

But on the same page, Rockstar warns that some of the lost characters, items, and money can occur because of certain gamer actions. These are:

When players exit GTA Online, they need to pause the gameplay and then choose the single player option. This action will automatically save the game and make sure that any progress from the last autosave is saved. Purchasing items just before turning off the console or exiting via the console system menus can result in the loss of everything you just purchased.

If the error message “Rockstar Cloud Servers Unavailable” appears don’t use the Retry button. This action can result in the loss of all your character data. If you get this message, exit to the GTA V Story Mode and attempt to re-enter GTA Online via the Story Mode’s pause menu. Rockstar have said that they are attempting to release another title update that will fix this issue.

If the Rockstar Cloud Server is not available, when players take the option to play online with the disc content, instead of R* Cloud content, they are asked to confirm that they wish to play a temporary character. This character will not be saved and if you choose the temporary option, your old characters will not be available for that session. If players want to save characters that they have created they must not enter GTA Online when the R* servers are not available. If the servers come back up during gameplay; when you end the session the character will be lost. To keep your temporary character go back to Single Player and re-enter GTA Online and you can load your old – not temporary – characters and go back to GTA Online; you can then save your progress.

There are still a large number of players who cannot access the Online mode and others are complaining of lost game progress, money and property, on top of characters being deleted. The news that Rockstar have said that the lost character issue experienced on GTA V Online Multiplayer mode could be the players fault may cause even more gamer dissatisfaction with the game.

Rockstar said on October 6, that they are attempting to determine why this is happening and they are trying to minimize the damage while they find a “permanent fix.” The support page also relayed that they had not forgotten about the requests to restore lost items, characters, and levels. The company have explained that they are working on options to fix the issues still being experienced by players.

The last update on the support page stated that further update information would be posted when it was available. Since the issue of the GTA V Online Multiplayer characters is ongoing, they attempted to explain how some players could be at fault and how to avoid the problem. A large number of players are becoming disenchanted with the game because of all the online gaming problems.

By Michael Smith
United Kingdom

Source

Source 1

61 Responses to "GTA V Online Multiplayer Lost Characters Could be Player’s Fault"

1. Greenfield18   February 7, 2014 at 5:05 pm

This really suck I was on level 51 then came back wasn’t there had start rank 1 again please fix it it’s crap

2. Young   October 20, 2013 at 3:27 pm

It is soooo annoying i’ve been saving my character through the start menu(PS3) and quiting the GTA V ONLINE it even said “Progress will be automatically saved”. when i got back my character wasn’t there on SLOT 1, so i tried to do it again , the tutorial (The Race, the Drug dealing mission, buy clothes, Hold up a store, got Insurance for my car & Have 1 deathmatch) This honestly took me a while and so i wanted to play with my friend so i Quit GTA V ONLINE using the Start menu, and Got back online pressing the “Invite only Session” and when it went to the Character screen MY CHARACTER WASN’T THERE, So I DID THE TUTORIAL AGAIN!!!!……….. Its been my 11th time doing the Tutorial & i have to say “i hate this game!”

But if you guys have any solutions please let me know i will keep trying to make it work
    P.S. I do not get any errors like “Could not connect to Rockstar blah blah blah” never received that error ever!. Yeah so i’m pretty pissed off

• Young   October 20, 2013 at 11:29 pm

I FIXED IT, When you finish all the tutorials go to join a new session. and you should be able to load it in a new session

• Xboxlivepsycho@hotmail.com   February 22, 2014 at 11:40 am

Are u sure ?

3. Atrin   October 20, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Ok so i was level 19 i got tired i changed to story mode and saved the game and now that i loaded the game and i was level 15 and i lost my guns money and my cloth wtf??!!!please fix this it sucks.

4. DALE MILES   October 17, 2013 at 5:22 am

The game is a joke twice I have had my character deleted. ROCKSTAR NEED TO FIX UP

5. Mitchell Haskell   October 13, 2013 at 4:35 pm

Ya i was lvl 43 and my xbox got disconnected and i lost everything wtf????!!!???

6. Slappedthechief   October 9, 2013 at 2:49 am

Okay, So the game crashes after finishing an online mission for over 30 minutes, I turn off my console come back on and my character has been lost, and that is my fault? I only spent a few hours but I dont get much time to play and was level 10. I’ve created a new character in the same spot and now won’t get it back? I personally like the game but its online gameplay is frustrating.

7. GamerBob   October 8, 2013 at 7:31 pm

Players fault? come on, that’s a load of BS. if they don’t want you to hit the “retry” button, then why put it in. That makes no sense. The game is a pure abortion, lost several characters due to the game being trash, not my fault. Single player campaign was reset to the first mission after many hours of play. Im guessing that was my fault too, because I turned on my XBOX and the game loads by itself, but im sure that’s somehow my fault. The game is a complete failure, im not going to ivest anymore time in the game because it will more than likely fail again. I will NEVER buy another Rockstar game again, I would have got more for my money if I would have flushed it down the toilet instead of purchasing an untested game.

8. John Gilbert   October 8, 2013 at 2:27 pm

It’s not the player’s fault that Rockstar doesn’t have a product that’s doing what it supposed to do. Also, because we press retry, we lose our data, that’s not our fault the damn retry deletes your stuff, I already lost my character twice, first was lvl 11, 2nd was lvl 32. Blaming the consumer using options that are readily available but do not work correctly is absolutely ridiculous. Whoever wrote this article needs to actually think and know something about the subject before writing. Go do reviews on kid’s books, it seems more like something up your alley.

9. Dan   October 8, 2013 at 10:48 am

How bout this instead off pissing and moaning lets try and see if there’s some solution

10. Mats   October 8, 2013 at 4:22 am

Find it funny how so many complain, did nobody really think that they might have problems at launch. for me, I could not connect until the third, I thought that was quick since rockstar makes a AAA game like every 3 years, unlike others that releases 5-6 big online games per year and the servers are down first 3-4 weeks per game. And I have had no other problem with GTA online exept the first 2 days that I could not connect.

11. Joe   October 7, 2013 at 11:19 pm

It feel im the only one on Rockstars Side, They Have released a Online Experience which is buggy, but in all fairness to them all online games that get released are buggy, now to the extent of character deletion is terrible. As i study ICT i understand that if people try and access data when the servers are down it can corrupt them, this is what rockstar are trying to say.

12. Gusbus   October 7, 2013 at 7:41 pm

To avoid character deletion why not just save the character to the hard drive on the xbox instead of the cloud like every single game save from every single game in history. When you go online it uploads the character Or at least a back up on the hard-drive.

13. Shepard   October 7, 2013 at 6:49 pm

OP, don’t you dare pin this disaster on the player. The worst launch in Gaming History, was not the fault of the player, but the creator. GTA:Online is by far, one of the worst launches in the history of gaming.

• Mitchell   October 8, 2013 at 1:31 am

You obviously haven’t played many games have you, just recently Rome 2 total war came out look at that game if you want a total disaster of a launch, i however have had no character issues and am level 31.

• Joe   October 8, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Hes clearly a console gamer, as am I, however i know all about the worst launches in history. Diablo 3 and Sim City were by far the worst launches. So much so, people still cant play and enjoy their games and its been like a year.
      This is R*’s first rodeo in online gaming. Never mind that they warned you ahead of time that the game will be buggy. Never mind the patch that fixed multiple problems 4 days after launch. It is indeed your fault that your character got deleted, you are clearly over writing your save data when you create a new character every 15 minutes. Or hit retry 47 times every ten minutes. Im not surprised. Me and all of my friends i play with have lost nothing. When the server is down and you cant save, YOU DONT PLAY

14. Rob Robuck   October 7, 2013 at 6:29 pm

Why the hell are those options in the game? Why would people invest time and money just to be dooped into choosing options put there by Rockstar?

15. Rob Robuck   October 7, 2013 at 6:21 pm

There is only one thing worse than losing all your progress,and that is somehow being blamed for it. How is that for gratitude toward your customers.

16. brandon   October 7, 2013 at 6:19 pm

Its rather upsetting that they are blaming the player for character deletion. I payed 60 bucks for a broken product. Take responsabilty, dont displace it.

17. Will   October 7, 2013 at 5:52 pm

“To keep your temporary character go back to Single Player and re-enter GTA Online and you can load your old – not temporary – characters and go back to GTA Online; you can then save your progres”

^
    This literally makes NO sense

18. Dawit   October 7, 2013 at 5:22 pm

LOL How TF is it our fault for Rockstar’s mistakes? No where in the Game Manual does it say that we shouldn’t go on GTAO at certain times in the day, no where does it say that I must never press the ‘Retry’ choice when trying to connect when it is something they put into the game? Were they trying to trick us? If not then how in the world is it our fault FFS? This is just ridiculous at this point. We wait 5 years then an extra 2 weeks for this BS. Come on Rockstar…

19. Aleecia   October 7, 2013 at 4:26 pm

Me and my brother made characters and we saved and everything. Woke up the next morning and they disappeared. So we made new ones so we played and so what then saved. Next morning our characters were there but I had about 22,000 and it said I had 100 and my vehicle was destroyed. So no money to get it out, and plus I couldn’t play online before that for many days. Its beginning to become very frustrating. Now I’ll just wait until it becomes completely fixed then delete my character and make a new one because I don’t have time for this ranking up and stuff for nothing.

20. Will   October 7, 2013 at 2:56 pm

LOL, Love How They Are Blaming There Mistakes On Us… Yhea Cause We Automatically Know That We Would Lost Characters For Doing Options That Are Given To Us… They Could Put A Notice To Everyone Online, Warning Us, But NOOOO. They wait till its Too Late, THEN, Blame It On Us… YOU BETTER GET THIS FIXED OR I WILL NEVER PLAY ONE OF YOUR GAMES AGAIN!!! And I’m Sure Alot Of People Will Agree With Me…

21. damob351   October 7, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Maby it was deleted cuz of the patch that they made for tommorrow my guy was deleted at level 20 with a appartment. And 75k I’m pist its not my fault its urs my guy guy delted while I was playing

22. Madmax   October 7, 2013 at 2:10 pm

i lost my lev40 with 400k apartment n 140k in bank, i played it all weekend, and got stuck in loading screen on mission , lost everthing. im not played hard like that till they fix it, still playing thow. im lev9 now boo rockstars fault.

23. Anthony   October 7, 2013 at 1:01 pm

I lost a level 30 with the 80k apt, all guns (without mods mostly), had 150k or so in the bank that stayed, i probably would have not started again if that would have disappeared, this was yesterday, today, i check the social club to see my new character with 64k, i ended last night with 350k, started the game to find my bank is 64k SHORT, at 250k, i think the social club info is screwing up, all this would have been saved if they would have just told us it was a beta, and yes it is OUR FAULT……for buying the game 🙁

24. Jay   October 7, 2013 at 12:48 pm

They owe us a huge dlc.

• Joe   October 8, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Since they warned you about the bugs before launch, and are periodically updating their site as new news happens, and the fact that you got a 40+ hour single player game that you played for two weeks prior to the online launch, its pretty damn clear they owe you nothing. I like the attitude though.

25. Alex   October 7, 2013 at 12:42 pm

I agree Ben

26. Alex   October 7, 2013 at 12:40 pm

My character disappeared last night and I want it back please r*

27. Crazy Night Boy   October 7, 2013 at 11:54 am

I Want My Rank Back. and i rang rock star and he told me there should be an update to morrow to get it back and he said if u don’t have it back by then ring as up and we will do some think for you. now if they were lieing to me im going to report this.

28. Rayno Keith Tulppo   October 7, 2013 at 11:42 am

If you people actually read what Rock Star said: “Rockstar warns that some of the lost characters, items, and money can occur because of certain gamer actions.”
    Because of certain actions… not that its YOUR fault.. they are aware of it and trying to fix. this is the most ambitious undertakings in Online Multiplayer history and you people are whining that it wasnt perfect out of the gate?

29. hermit   October 7, 2013 at 11:39 am

Anyone else notice we all lost our characters last night

• Alex   October 7, 2013 at 12:49 pm

I lost mine at about 10:30 to 11 o clock England

• Dalton xbox   October 8, 2013 at 12:50 am

Same here 1030 11 it froze

• angel   October 7, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Im pissed I cant play I want my guy back

30. Wish it would work   October 7, 2013 at 11:11 am

i lost my charicter at level 24 with a 80 grand apartment and 40 k spending cash sort you crap out rockstar

31. Mutt   October 7, 2013 at 10:49 am

I’m done with R*. This entire debacle has been mismanaged from the start and now they have the arrogance to blame the players. The paying customers. Well guess what R*? Now you’re one paying customer short. I’m done with this garbage and will never purchase anything that comes from R* again. Companies need to realize that the first 2 – 4 weeks of release is not for BETA testing. Shame on us, the consumers, for allowing them to do it. Well….not me anymore.

32. Rob Shepherd   October 7, 2013 at 10:24 am

Anyone else find it strange that a so called glitch that allowed people to earn quick money in a short time was fixed but the character deleting has not even been addressed. seems coincidental that you can purchase gta$ and that gets fixed before a key issue that removes all a players online info. This is in no way our fault as customers, its there fault for not using the five years to make sure things are correct. If they wanted us all to be beta testers then i want my wage lol. Bf4 beta demo is out atm with less issues and better stability compared to this supposed final release.

33. steve   October 7, 2013 at 10:20 am

Lost my character at LVL14, still got my money left on my bank but still.. It’s really frustrated but I dont mind starting over again but who can make sure my character wont disappear again.

34. bad   October 7, 2013 at 10:12 am

Could be Player’s Fault. Could be Player’s Fault . Could be Player’s Fault .Could be Player’s Fault . Could be Player’s Fault. Could be Player’s Fault. Could be Player’s Fault. Could be Player’s Fault……….No it’s not the players fault. Please stop trying to be a journalist.

35. SealBeachDude   October 7, 2013 at 10:10 am

Talk about blaming the victims. I hope the Rockstar execs get car jacked driving out of the parking lot at work or, punched in the face by a mugger.

• Mutt   October 7, 2013 at 10:52 am

LMAO. While I don’t wish physical violence on them I do hope that whoever is in charge of public relations is at their desk putting all their belongings in a cardboard box.

36. Todd   October 7, 2013 at 10:06 am

Wait , so it’s my fault for pressing a button that the game has available ? You’ve gotta be kidding me.

37. Dave   October 7, 2013 at 9:59 am

Yes if you quit early its understandable you lose what you done in that session, not the whole saved data! Put 20+ hours in just to start at square one. If they cant sort this out or offer some sort of compensation for the lost time, for example a sum of in game cash to purchase what you had before and a lump of xp and skills points, i really doubt I’ll ever get any of that back. In which case i will never purchase anything to do with rockstar again which I’m sure many others will do too. Also I will make sure i tell everyone i know not too either, and get them to say the same too everyone they know. I think this will be the started the end for rockstar. I’m going to try get a refund as I cant bring myself to sell this worthless game to another victim. All us gamers play games to progress, don’t want to switch on after a week of flat-out grind to find it will take you a week just to get back to where you was :/
    So all of you don’t give rockstar any more of your time. Try Call of Duty a proper game with a dedicated team that know how to meet deadlines and still get it right!

• John Doe   October 8, 2013 at 7:47 am

i agree with most of what u said …….. but really have u played black ops 2 ? it’s a broken piece of azz , worst call of duty ever , i been ranked in the top 50 on every cod but i refuse to play that and every other cod before that has invisible guys killing u over n over even mw3 that’s the newest modern warfare , cod companies don’t give a flying monkeys about it . Anyways i been reset at level 13 twice both times with around 64k , both times my character got deleted but i kept my cash and stats like kd . As of now im level17 with 124k , few gun mods haven’t played since last night . i got a few friends that are levels 34 , 25 , 32 n they say when u go online n your character isn’t there go back to story mode n wait for a while don’t create another character n try again, this technique has worked many times for them , ill try this if mine disappears n let u know .

38. Keidi   October 7, 2013 at 9:49 am

What an absolute joke…..

39. Stuart   October 7, 2013 at 9:46 am

Feeling slightly nervous about my game saving via the cloud I was always very careful to leave GTA online via the menu’s (Common sense). Occasionally the game crashes when joining mission lobby’s etc which is not the players fault.

Also pressing the retry button would only be the players fault if it had a warning next to it ie, Retry (Warning this may delete character data).

It’s a great and ambitious game but it leaves a very sour taste to have approximately 30 hrs of gameplay to go down the drain after finding my character deleted last night. That’s 30 hours of my life completely wasted.

I’ve played some dodgy games at launch (BF3 anyone?) but never before have I experienced outright character deletion. This is the worst possible thing that can happen to an online game and is simply unacceptable.

What really annoys is the patronizing updates from Rockstar almost putting the blame on the players.

Rockstar Please answer our questions 1.) Will we get our characters back? 2.) If not, when will it be safe to play without this happening again.

Many thanks
    Stuart

40. Zach   October 7, 2013 at 9:38 am

My character got deleted last night. Two whole days of grinding and racing and shooting and fun just *POOF*. It was… absolutely horrible.

41. JB   October 7, 2013 at 9:32 am

now thats rockstar trying to cover their own ar%@ because on any other multiplayer game you can just dashboard it and your data will automaticly save, so for them to say its the players faults is rubbish, if that was the case that you do have to exit the game a certain way or not click retry when prompted then maybe they should have told us about this on the release of gta v multiplayer ??? its soo wrong what they have done they have had more than enough time to sort this out they even launched the game before multiplayer so they cant say they didnt know that the servers would be over loaded its just rubbish im never buying a game made by rockstar again.

42. Muli   October 7, 2013 at 9:22 am

complete BS. I lost my characters because the game got stuck while trying to get out of a mission back to freemode. And since when are customers at fault. You never heard that the customer is always right?

43. somers23   October 7, 2013 at 9:03 am

I hate this game. I did all them races to unlock upgrades for my car. Like bs you have to come in 1st. Why didn’t I lose my character earlier, I made it to rank 14 then deleted. I think you guys did something.

44. Drae   October 7, 2013 at 8:40 am

I just wish they fix the game. I know a lot of people who have lost their characters and it has discouraged them from playing the game. I have pressed that retry button at least 5 times and not once did I lose my character (knock on wood). I just want to enjoy killing people and stealing stuff with my friends !

45. Marcus Suridius   October 7, 2013 at 8:38 am

This is the first an last time I will ever read this joke of a newspaper, how is it the players fault?

Where and when did Rockstar blame the players?

Since the game is based on a cloud and constantly saving how are the players meant to know about having to exit the game a certain way?

Rockstar never stated this prior or during the launch.

If its the players fault, why do we still at times have our money but all other things are gone?

46. Teo   October 7, 2013 at 8:22 am

IF IT SAYS HIT X TO RE-TRY ITS ROCKSTARS FAULT. NOT OURS. It’s YOUR FAULT the character is gone, so FIX IT

• dude really   October 7, 2013 at 9:01 am

dude stop with the caps. if the game messes up for you put it down and go outside for a bit. Don’t you think R* are trying their best to fix the problem.

• mike   October 7, 2013 at 10:45 am

Its r* fault I have my char and I hit retry like a hour at a time,I never turn a game off right power button works fine and still got my. Char

They said they was waiting two weeks after the game to fix it I paid to play not to go outside u ****hole

• ac13farmy   October 7, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Exactly. “Don’t you think R* are trying their best to fix the problem.” Really? So your saying that it’s ok to not give any kind of answers on what’s going on besides “its the players fault for playing our game”? I’ve had multiple character deletes and seen my friends characters deleted. Why should we put faith in a company who has not been at least giving answers or info to the consumers? Ifruit app is bs, but oh well, that’s just a game for chop and license plates. But this is more than just a little app. This was one of the selling points for the game, the “all new everything” multiplayer. Soo yeah, of course people will be getting upset about this. You go outside and play instead of posting comments like a moron…

47. Jon Biles (@Redswipe)   October 7, 2013 at 8:11 am

Strange headline considering none of this is actually the players fault and that Rockstar never suggested it is.

48. ben   October 7, 2013 at 8:08 am

Fact is it’s rockstar’s fault, not ours, when you switch character, it clearly states that it WILL automatically save. Therefore it’s rockstars fault if it doesn’t save.