Levi Aron pleas guilty to the abduction and gruesome dismemberment of an 8-year-old boy

NEW YORK – Levi Aron entered a guilty plea Thursday in perhaps the city’s most gruesome abduction murder kidnapping in more than a decade. The plea will result in a sentence of 40 years to life in prison. The guilty plea means he abducted and dismembered an 8-year-old boy from a tight-knit Orthodox Jewish community

Brooklyn District Attorney Charles Hynes made the arrangement in close consultation with the family of the boy, Leiby Kletzky.

The plea, to charges of second-degree murder and kidnapping, guarantees a sentence of 40 years to life for Levi Aron, a 36-year-old hardware store clerk. He originally had faced a first-degree murder charge.

The family was “eager to see this concluded and grateful to D.A. Hynes,” Assemblyman Dov Hikind, who’s acted as a family spokesman, said in a statement before the plea. “The last thing they want is to relive the horror of losing their child.”

Leiby’s mother is expecting a baby in about six weeks, Hikind said.

One of the city’s most gruesome crimes in recent memory began with a chance encounter last summer on the streets of Borough Park, home to one of the world’s largest Hasidic communities outside Israel.

The victim got lost on his walk home from a religious day camp and asked Aron, whom he met on the street, for help, prosecutors said. It was the first time the little boy was allowed to walk alone, and he was supposed to travel about seven blocks to meet his mother but missed a turn.

According to court papers, the defendant himself provided authorities a disturbing narrative of what happened next.
During an interrogation after his arrest and in a written confession, Aron recounted how the boy first asked for a ride to a book store. But “on the way, he changed his mind and wasn’t sure he wanted to go.”

The defendant described deciding to take the boy to a wedding upstate. He said when they returned, they watched television before the boy fell asleep. Leiby remained there the next day while Aron went to work.

Kletzky’s disappearance sparked an all-out search by New York City police and a block-by-block search by up to 5,000 Orthodox Jewish volunteers from New York and other states coordinated by the Brooklyn South Shomrim volunteer civilian patrol. The alleged murderer was located after examination of videos from surveillance cameras along the boy’s route showed him meeting with a man outside a dentist’s office and then apparently getting into his car.

The medical examiner’s office said that before the boy’s death he was given a cocktail of prescription drugs.

Detectives’ notes also outlined statements by Aron about how he carved up the body with knives and disposed of body parts, including the severed feet found wrapped in plastic his freezer. A cutting board and three bloody carving knives were found in the refrigerator.

The rest of the boy’s body was discovered in bags inside a red suitcase in a trash bin. His legs had been cut from his torso.

Aron said he planned to return the boy to his family but when he saw the missing child posters the next day, he said he “panicked”, returned to the apartment, and smothered the boy with a towel.

Aron claimed that after the killing he was hearing voices telling him “to take his own life for what he did,” according to court papers.

As the interrogation wore on, detectives said Aron made clear he was aware of his own notoriety.
“I’m famous,” he said.

There was no evidence that the victim had been sexually abused. The suspect was unknown to the boy before meeting him on the street. Child abductions by strangers are extremely rare in New York State, with none of the 20,000 children who went missing in 2010 having been taken by a stranger, according to state statistics.

Contributor: D. Chandler

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.