Kenton Cool Scales Mount Everest Scaled for the Eleventh Time

Mount Everest is the world’s highest mountain with a peak of 8,848 metres (29,029 ft.) above sea level.  British mountaineer Kenton Cool has conquered Mt Everest for a record-breaking 11th time.

Mt. Everest is located in the Himalayas, on the border between China and Nepal.  The expanse of mountains include neighboring peaks, Lhotse, 8,516 m (27,940 ft.); Nuptse, 7,855 m (25,771 ft.) and Changtse, 7,580 m (24,870 ft.).  Kenton Cool has reached Nuptse as well, and will later attempt Lhotse, to complete a climb of three of the world’s highest peaks in 10 days, a feat never before accomplished.

Although many are turned away because of altitude sickness, weather, and extreme wind, Cool has succeeded in each of his eleven attempts.

Dorje Gylgen, Cool’s partner, said on his Facebook page that they “felt strong, and were going for it”.

Cool, who reached the summit of Everest at 02:00 local time, said online: “Dorje Gylgen and I took bare essentials and made it to roof of world in total darkness.

“Disappointment of being early and not seeing the sun rise was made good with the privilege of sitting alone in absolutely silence with my friend, just as I’ve always thought Hillary and Tenzing did.

“Dorje and I laughed at stupidity of our small head-torches beaming into nothing.”

There were doubts of achieving the climb of all three peaks, when on the face of Nuptse severe weather nearly tore their tent apart.

“The Western Cwm is one of the most magical places I have ever been to.  I’m hoping that I will be able to climb all three mountains without returning to base camp, but for that I’m going to need a bucket load of good luck and a heap of good weather.”

The first team to reach the summit occurred during the 9th effort by the British in 1953.  John Hunt led the expedition, and decided to create two pair of climbers.  The first pair, Tom Bourdillon and Charles Evans, came within 100m or 330ft. of the summit on May 26, 1953, before running into oxygen problems.

The second team, New Zealander Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay, a Nepali sherpa climber from Darjeeling, India, left two days later.  They reached the summit at 11:30 am local time on 29 May 1953 via the South Col Route. At the time, both acknowledged it as a team effort by the whole expedition, but Tenzing revealed a few years later that Hillary had put his foot on the summit first.  They paused at the summit to take photographs and buried a few sweets and a small cross in the snow before descending.

James Turnage

The Guardian Express

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.