Massachusetts Child Last Seen in September, Reported Missing Last Week

Massachusetts Child Last Seen in September, Reported Missing Last Week

Jeremiah Oliver, age five, from the state of Massachusetts, was last seen by his family on Sept. 14, yet the young child was just reported as missing last week. Reports being released to the public state that Massachusetts police are looking into Jeremiah’s disappearance as a probable homicide investigation.

A commissioner for the Massachusetts Dept. of Children and Families has reported that a social worker who was assigned to Jeremiah’s family had not been conducting the required in-person welfare checks that were to be held with the family.

This specific social worker has been fired from the job, along with the social worker’s superior.

Meanwhile, the child’s father has stated he will never give up looking for his son. Masses of volunteers were out combing the streets of Fitchburg, Massachusetts, the town in which the boy lived in, in an effort to try and find him.

Jeremiah was last spotted in the fall. The boy’s mother Elsa Oliver, age 28, and a boyfriend of hers, Alberto L. Sierra Jr., age 23, have been accused with child abuse and are being held on these charges.

Oliver was found to be missing on Dec. 2, when a 7-year-old sister of his informed some school staff members, where she attended classes, that she was being abused by Sierra.

The search that was performed on Saturday was planned by social media outlets by members of the child’s family and numerous supporters. It was not endorsed by Massachusetts State or local police. However, there were quite a few Fitchburg Police Department officers on stand-by in case any possible evidence was discovered by the volunteers. Police had originally attempted to discourage the search; because they were fearful a hoard of inexperienced search party volunteers might disrupt, obscure or even possibly destroy valued and needed evidence.

Standing in a parking lot across the street from where his son lived, Jeremiah’s father, Jose Oliver, stated that he was holding out hope that his son would be found.

He said that his wife and her boyfriend did not own a car, so he believed that if they did something to the child, Jeremiah would be around the area, Jose explained. He was wearing a shirt that had the face of his son on it. The word “DADDY” was printed on the back. The elder Oliver added that he hoped they found something because he wanted to find his son.

He expressed much gratitude toward the roughly 75 volunteers who had shown up to help in the search. Most of them did not even know the family.

A judge had ordered Elsa Oliver to undertake a mental evaluation earlier in the week. But Jose Oliver stated he did not believe his wife was incompetent in any way.

He said that he has been married to her for eight years. She always made sure the kids went to school and were properly fed. Oliver also stated that Elsa was always playing with the children. He believes she is sane.

Volunteers said a prayer for the young boy, and then spread apart in the neighboring woods. They were poking at melting snow packs with broken branches. One group examined the culvert located inside a hill behind the family’s house. They did not find anything. Jeremiah’s uncle, Sandrino Oliver, ended up leaving the tunnel crying and screaming from anguish. Another search team walked along close by railroad tracks, pulling apart the heavy brush and also digging through piles of dead leaves and mud. They also found nothing.

Some of the Oliver family was upset at the Massachusetts State Police for not bringing in any search dogs to help the volunteers. Other volunteers were beginning to protest in anger. They held up signs and let out loud jeers when a State Police cruiser went by. One individual even threw a snowball at the car.

David Procipio, who is a Massachusetts State Police spokesperson, refused to give any comments on the case, but stated that state troopers to attempting to try and find the boy. He added the investigation is being worked around the clock. He also said that a State Police K-9 unit had already searched the region around Jeremiah’s house early Saturday morning and that State Police were sensitive to the volunteer search effort.

Many vehicles that went past the search parties honked horns to show support. Some stopped in order to leave stuffed toys, candles and flowers at an improvised memorial which was created.

After many hours of unsuccessful searching, the family reunited to compare where they all had looked.

Jeremiah’s uncle was listening quietly as his family spoke. It was obvious he was thinking hard about his young nephew, and the child only last seen by his family on Sept. 14.

By Kimberly Ruble


The Examiner

The Boston Globe

The Boston Herald

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.