Shooting at Chicago Nordstom

On Black Friday, the busiest shopping day of the year, a shooting occurred at the Chicago Nordstrom that resulted in death of two individuals. The store, located at the “Magnificent Mile” in the downtown Chicago district, was riddled with holiday shoppers when a man entered the store and shot his ex-girlfriend. He then turned the gun on himself. The ex-boyfriend, Marcus Dee, was pronounced dead at the scene. His ex-girlfriend and target of the shooting, Nadia Ezaldein was critically wounded, and would later be pronounced dead at Northwestern Memorial Hospital.

The murder-suicide began late in the evening on Black Friday. Around 8:30 pm, the gunman entered the Nordstrom store on a mission as he continued up to the second floor of the store. The gunman’s target, Ezaldein, was busy working the cosmetic counter, unaware of the upcoming turmoil. Minutes later, shots rang out as the gunman began firing at the unaware victim. As the victim fell over behind the cosmetic counter, the shooter turned the gun on himself, firing one fatal shot. People threw their bags, frantically running out of the store after hearing the first gunshot, one customer stated. “I heard shots and the next thing I knew I was screaming,” another customer stated.

At 10:23 p.m., the gunman was pronounced dead on the scene by authorities. The victim of the Chicago Nordstrom shooting, who received shots to her head and neck, was taken to the nearby hospital where she was said to be in critical condition. The woman, a seasonal employee of the retail chain, passed away at the nearby hospital early the following Saturday morning.

Shortly after the shooting, Nordstrom officials came over the loud speaker, saying “code red, everyone please exit the store quickly and safely.” Once everyone had exited the store, the store was closed down. The store remained closed down while officials conducted their investigation. The store is set to reopen on Sunday morning at 11 am.

The shooter, 31-year-old Marcus Dee and the victim, 22-year-old Nadia Ezaldein, began dating in August of 2012 after being introduced to one another by Ezaldein’s roommate. Their relationship lasted through December of 2013 and ended because of constant mental and physical abuse at the hands of Dee, Ezaldein’s sister stated. After the breakup, Dee continued to call Ezaldein, threatening to kill himself and Nadia, her sister also stated. Ezaldein’s family claims that Dee, whose parents are both police officers, continuously harassed Nadia since the breakup, causing her to fear for her life.

According to court records, Dee had attempted to get a restraining order against Ezaldein earlier in the year for stalking; however, that petition was denied by a Cook County Judge. The very next day, the victim of the shooting’s sister went to the courts trying to get a similar petition against the shooter which was also denied because the victim’s sister was not the victim of the alleged stalking and abuse.

The shooting at the Chicago Nordstrom was a terrible tragedy and our hearts and prayers go out to the victim of the shootings family, states Nordstrom officials. “We are doing everything we can to take preventative measures and to be sure our customers feel safe.”

By Kelli Patterson

Huffington Post
Chicago Tribune
Fox News
Fox 32 News
Photo courtesy of Scott L. Flickr- Flickr License

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.