Don't like to read?
Curly hair can be both a blessing and curse. As individuals with naturally wavy or curly hair have discovered, there are tips to managing their hair care regimen and certain hair care techniques that work better than others. Nonetheless, personal grooming is a basic need and very much individualized. Each individual has their own preferences and desires about their appearance and how they want to be groomed. That being said, here are 10 tips for managing curly hair care.
1. Hair Brushing and Combing Technique–When brushing or combing curly hair, a person should begin from the ends and work backwards toward the roots. The logic of this technique lies in the fact that it is much easier to brush or comb through knots at the ends first.
2. Prevent Plumbing Issues–Before detangling the hair, it is recommended that someone covers the drain or sink with Saran Wrap. If plastic wrap is not available, paper towels, napkins, or several rags would also do the job. This stop-gap measure should end clogged drain concerns related to hair care.
3. Enough of the Brush–Instead of brushes, people with wavy or curly hair should use their fingers or a wide-tooth comb to prevent breakage and preserve the shape of the curls. This natural approach can be quite therapeutic for the scalp.
4. Give Hair More Body–In order to add body and improve control of the hair, try applying conditioner and tuck hair into a shower cap before stepping into the shower or tub. Then, shower or bathe before washing one’s hair as normal. The steam from the shower will help lock in moisture and give the hair more body, as well as volume and control.
5. Help Control Frizz–After showering and while still in the shower, try liberally applying conditioner to the hair and comb it through the hair thoroughly. This technique should help reduce frizz and is an essential tip for curly hair care.
6. Dry Hair Care–If a person has extra-dry hair, try omitting shampoo entirely and use conditioner alone once a week or as needed to prevent fluffy hair. If someone lacks moisture or oil in their hair, they do not need to use shampoo on a regular basis.
7. Leave Some Conditioner Behind–When washing one’s hair, avoid rinsing out all the conditioner. Contrary to what many may believe, it is OK to leave some conditioner in the hair when washing and rinsing it. Curly hair ends need the extra moisture and this technique will not harm the scalp.
8. Avoid Towel Drying–Instead of towel drying, try using a T-shirt instead to prevent frizz and tangles. This is because towels absorb too much water and moisture out of the hair, which causes frizz and leads to tangling of the hair. Moreover, the smooth material of a T-shirt will also help prevent matting of the hair and enhance the curls.
9. Moisturize and Air-Dry–For added texture, try combining gel or cream with leave-in conditioner to moisturize the hair while also sculpting the curls. Simply work the product into damp hair and style or air-dry as normal.
10. Tame Temperamental Hair–For days when curly hair is mercurial, try spraying a mixture of equal parts leave-in conditioner and water on the ends to enhance the curls. Then, style or use hair accessories as usual. This is a great technique for temperamental hair, problem days, and/or in between washes.
As individuals with naturally wavy or curly hair know, it can be both a blessing and curse. It is temperamental and mercurial by nature. However, there are several tips to managing curly hair care. Some individuals are quite particular about their hair care regimen and certain hair care techniques work better than others, depending on the individual. This is because personal grooming is a basic need and very much individualized. Hopefully, this article will aid readers in their efforts to manage curly hair care while maintaining their own preferences as well as desires about their appearance and how they want to be groomed.
Opinion Written and Edited by Leigh Haugh
Personal Experiences and Observations of the Curly Haired Author
Fashionista–Fashion Insiders Offer Tips on Managing–and Loving–Your Curly Hair
Top 10 Home Remedies–Home Remedies for Managing Curly Hair