According to IMDb, “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them” will open in theaters on Nov. 18, 2016. The movie is the first in a trilogy of films based on J.K. Rowling’s books. Rowling will make her screenwriting debut with this new film. David Heyman, the producer of the Harry Potter movies, will be returning to produce the new installation of the magical world in “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.”
The movie surrounds the adventures of writer Newton Scamander and a community of secret witches and wizards, in New York. In the film, he has been traveling the world since 1918, in search of magical creatures in order to conduct research. After all of Scamander’s research is done, in 1926 he released a masterpiece publication of Magizoology called, “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.”
Rowling brings her magical world of witches and wizards to the big screen along with non-magic people, Muggles or as they are called in the new movie No-Maj. The character named Jacob Kowalski, a No-Maj, accidentally disrupts Scamander’s magically expanding suitcase and frees dangerous magical creatures into the city.
Introducing Rowling’s New Characters
- Scamander works at the British Ministry of Magic and is Porpentina’s love interest. He is described as eccentric and introverted.
- Porpentina “Tina” Goldstein works for the Magical Congress of the United States of America (MACUSA) and it is the U.S. version of the Ministry of Magic. She fights for what is right and is known to have a grounded personality.
- Queenie Goldstein is Tina’s younger sister and they live together. She is known to be kind-hearted and free-spirited. It is said she can read minds and is beautiful.
- Jacob Kowalski is a No-Maj who works in a factory but aspires to be a baker. He is befriended by Scamander and is introduced to the magical world.
- Mary Lou is a small-minded woman who is also the leader of a group known as the Second Salemers. The group’s goal is to expose and kill witches and wizards.
- Credence is the adoptive son of Mary Lou, and he is described as troubled. Sources indicate he has a big role in the wizarding world.
- Percival Graves is the right-hand man to the president of America’s wizarding world. He is also given the task of tracking down Scamander.
- A girl haunted named Modesty can see deep into people.
- Seraphina Picquery is the president of MACUSA.
These are a few of the main characters in Rowling’s movie “Fantastic Beast and Where to Find Them.” Other sub-characters include Henry Shaw Senior, Henry Shaw Junior, Gnarlack, Mrs. Goldstein, Chasity, Lt. M. Young, Gilbert Bingley, and Laurence.
Introducing Rowling’s New Beasts
- The Niffler is a long-snouted creature who burrows and is native to Britain. This creature loves shiny things.
- A Swooping Evil has a large butterfly-ish body and is born from a small object.
- The Bowtruckle is a small twig-like being that guards wand-wood trees. They are said to be shy and peaceful until the guarded tree is threatened.
- A Lethifold is a very dangerous creature and looks like a rippling black cape. It attacks its prey at night and suffocates and digests them while they are in bed.
- A Billywig is a small, extremely bright sapphire insect. Its wings are on its head that allows it to spin as it flies. The bug’s sting is known to cause giddiness and levitation. The Billywig is good to use in some potions when it is dried.
- The Occamy is a winged creature with two legs and a serpentine body. Their wingspan can reach up to 15 feet. This being is known to be aggressive and very protective of its eggs, which are pure soft silver.
- The Demiguise is an ape-ish beast who is peaceful and can become invisible when it feels threatened.
- The Thunderbird can, at times, represent the soul of a witch or wizard. It is a beast that can conjure storms as it flies. A Thunderbird is known to like adventurous people.
- The Murtlap is a marine critter that looks like a rat. It has a growth on its back that looks like a sea anemone. It is said that the back of the Murtlap can be pickled and eaten to build a resistance to jinxes. If too much is ingested it can cause the growth of purple ear hair.
Rowling’s movie has excited Potter fans everywhere. According to Gizmodo, Warner Bros. is doubling down with their seemingly premature announcement of “Fantastic Beasts 2.” The expected release date is for Nov. 16, 2018. The studio has also confirmed that all of the actors/actresses in the first film will be coming back for the second one.
By Tracy Blake
Edited by Cathy Milne and Jeanette Smith
Gizmodo: The Fantastic Beasts Sequel, Written by J.K. Rowling, Officially Has a Release Date
IMDb: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
Pottermore: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
Featured Image Courtesy of Eddy Skidmore’s Flickr Page – Creative Commons License
Top Image Courtesy of Michelle Friswell”s Flickr Page – Creative Commons License