Denise Saldate, a 7-year-old girl from California, died on April 6, 2019, after she had an allergic reaction to a new toothpaste she was using, given to her by prescription from her dentist. She was seven years old.
Saldate’s mother, Monique Altamirano, said her daughter was allergic to dairy products. Altamirano had never seen dairy products listed on the labels of the toothpaste she had bought in the past and admitted she did not check the label of the new prescription toothpaste.
In an interview with Allergic Living, Altamirano said that as a mother, she feels as if she failed her daughter despite what everybody is telling her.
She said since her daughter was a one-year-old, she has been seeing an allergist, and labels were always read.
On April 4, the little girl was brushing her teeth next to her teenage sister with the new prescription toothpaste, and the label was not checked.
Saldate said that she thought she was allergic to the toothpaste, as her lips began to turn blue. Altamirano continued telling Allergic Living, that she picked her daughter up, placed her on the bed and ran to the living room, grabbed the EpiPen and told her daughter to call 911.
Altamirano said she used the EpiPen and gave her daughter an inhaler. The operator at 911 told her to start CPR. Sadate was transported to the hospital where she died.
Altamirano alleged her daughter used MI Paste ONE toothpaste. The toothpaste did have a warning label on it stating there was milk protein as an ingredient, but the family did not see it.
Altamirano warned others always to read labels and do not get comfortable, even if you have been using a product for years. Never be embarrassed to ask questions about ingredients, and as a parent, you must be your child’s advocate.
Written by Barbara Sobel
Fox News: Girl, 7, dies after severe allergic reaction to toothpaste ingredient, family says
Featured and Top Image Courtesy Of Marco Verch’s Flickr Page – Creative Commons License