Does the second amendment support assault rifles and handguns?

USE YOUR BRAIN, AND FACE REALITY

By James Turnage:

A few days ago, DiMarkco Chandler wrote an intelligent and logical article about changes in our gun control laws, and about the reality that we are a gun crazy country.  I wrote a lesser article about the same subject.

The facts cannot be denied by the NRA, and gun enthusiasts everywhere.  We are freekin crazy for our guns. Tonight, on the local Reno news, a report stated that one individual was going to the movies tonight, and wanted to purchase a gun to protect himself.  What idiocy is this?  Law enforcement, in addition to military individuals, have analyzed the Aurora, Colorado incident, and agreed that nothing could have been done to stop this atrocity, even if everyone in the theatre had been armed.

People kill people, aided by the guns and the enormous amounts of ammunition they can purchase.  No other country in the world has a number that is in close proximity to the United States in reference to innocent people murdered by assault rifles and handguns.  Deaths by guns of any type are rare in the United Kingdom, and Australia, where guns are virtually outlawed.  Arguments that areas of our country that have the weakest gun laws have the least crimes, is, plainly put, bullshit.

Like every other person in our country, I am crying for the victims of an obviously warped individual.  We may never know the exact reason why he murdered so many innocent individuals.  But, for Romney to say that the gun laws in this country are just fine, and that the man who committed these heinous acts was breaking the law, which was obvious, and gave no rational, told me he has no logical thought, no basis in the reality of life.  Mormons love guns.

The fact is, that most guns sold in the U.S. are designed to kill people.  Guns sold for hunting or recreational purposes are a small part of sales.  The bottom line is “nuts with guns kill people”.  The second amendment is very important to me, but it does not support assault rifles and handguns.  When will intelligence surpass radical emotion?  Sadly, I have personally known friends who were killed by guns.  They were not at war, not defending their homes or their family, they were killed by family members, neighbors, and by people they never knew.

I shouldn’t even be writing this.  If we were an intelligent, educated country, we would see that money trumps good judgment.  The NRA and gun manufacturers make billions of dollars a year waging scare tactics.  I, for one, am more afraid of them than I am of going to the movies.

Sun Valley, Nevada

6 Responses to "Does the second amendment support assault rifles and handguns?"

1. Jim   July 30, 2012 at 1:22 am

The 2nd amendment does not say what the arms are. Therefore arms mean everything, from matchlocks to .50 Cal BMGs, and beyond!

2. BHirsh   July 27, 2012 at 11:54 pm

James, give it up.

Our right to arms isn’t about hunting, it is about personal safety and maintaining a free republic.

The Second Amendment, as properly recognized in the D.C. v. Heller decision, protects the keeping and bearing of arms “in common use . . . that bear some reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well-regulated militia.” While that includes hunting rifles, it doesn’t limit the right to those weapons. Semi-auto military-pattern rifles and pistols (and their magazines) are unarguably “in common use”, and have been for over a century. It is equally unanswerable that they bear “some reasonable relationship” to militia use.

Translation: YOU CAN’T BAN THEM. Thus saith the Supreme Court of the United States.

Get over it.

3. Tiger of Reno   July 27, 2012 at 10:19 pm

James, I’m truly sorry that we “Gun totin’ Bible thumpin’ Bitter Clingers” do not rise to your desired level of indoctrination.. er.. Education and Intelligence.
    Exhaustively reading the Federalist Papers as a way of determining our Founder’s original intent while framing the Constitution, must be the crutch of the weak minded, in YOUR world.
    I don’t carry a gun to kill people; I carry a gun to keep from being killed. I don’t carry a gun to scare people; I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a scary place. I don’t carry a gun because I’m paranoid; I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world.

4. Sean   July 27, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Quick answer, from Americas’ 65 million gun owners, who did not harm anyone yesterday. If you try to take our guns, we will kill you.

5. RLEmerysgt   July 27, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Yet this idiot infers it is the law abiding gun owners and not the career criminals/gang members and suiciders, both responsible for over 92% of illegal deaths by firearm use each year, what a moron!

6. Ko I   July 27, 2012 at 11:01 am

Yes. After the Constitution and Bill of Rights were penned, another law was written that, had it not unfairly penalized the poor, would have required every male adult landowner to own a rifle just like the military uses. Fully automatic, and everything. At that time, the most powerful weapon system in the world, the galleon, was virtually exclusively civilian owned.