Autism – A Leap in the Evolution of Consciousness?

Austism a leap in the evolution of consciousness?
One out of every 38 children born today is said to have autism. Autism, as it has been experienced by many, is an overwhelming condition which no doubt, takes a lot of attention and energy from parents and family.  Could autism be more than a neural development disorder which inhibits social interaction and ‘normal’ growth? What if autism was ahead of it’s time and instead of a disorder, a signal to a great leap in the evolution of consciousness?   Rev. Noel McInnis, diagnosed with a mild case of autism himself a number of years ago, author of numerous philosophical and spiritually based books and writings muses in this direction.

In one of Noel’s blogs titled “Autism’s Ultimate Cause: An Evolutionary Make-over” he begins:

I intuitively feel that the ultimate cause of autism is an emerging subjective evolutionary makeover of an outmoded, non-sustainable order of consciousness with which we objectify people, animals, the environment, and reality in general.  In other words, autism may be a NEW and SUBJECTIVE order of consciousness that cannot accommodate the prevailing old DISorder of consciousness that tends to totally objectify our experiencing of reality. Accordingly, it is so-called “neuro-normalism” that tends to be disordering of our consciousness, while autism is an evolutionary correction thereof – a re-education of our human sensibilities.

A re-education of our human sensibilities – wow.  Ponder that for a moment. Rev. Noel McInnis is not alone in his view of autism.  Lori Shayew, creator of ‘The Gifts of Autism’ website asks a very similar question – “What if the autistic state of mind and way of viewing the world represents, not a defect that we must correct, but an evolutionary step up? What if millions of autistic individuals are here to show us neuro-typicals a different way, a way of living that can potentially be more spiritually satisfying, more deeply connected, more co-creative and profoundly meaningful than we can imagine?”

And from Shayew’s up-coming book of the same title:

I can no longer see Autism as a disability. My perception has evolved. I now know that the condition of Autism is here with us in such great numbers as a gift. If we are willing to look, our autistic brothers and sisters can give us a glimpse into our future – into a possible world where we are not so driven by our personalities and egos. We might see a world of beauty, connection and artistry, rather than our world of self-consciousness and commerce. We might see the possibility of Spiritual communication with each other, of reverence for each moment, of the healing power of unconditional love.

If you have ever known or interacted with an ‘autistic’ person, you know there is something special about them, you can feel it.  They draw you into the present moment in a way no one else can and lure you away from the troubles of your mind into a space of joyful freedom.  Challenges present themselves with those who are ‘autistic’ when you try and impose upon them the regulations and limitations of our agreed upon reality.  However, if you relinquish attachment to ‘how things ought to be’ and simply allow the moment to happen as it wishes to unfold, these beautiful beings will lead you into a space far greater than the one you currently reside in.

I am not saying that many of us do not live in a beautiful reality, I can say I do – largely.  For most of us it seems, however,  that we waver in and out between the ‘blissful’ and the ‘ordinary and mundane’, hoping to find more blissful than ordinary in any given day.  For those who are named ‘autistic’, there isn’t that choice – they simply exist in a reality that is set – the fluctuation comes in our interaction with them and our response.

Sometimes these beings get frustrated, no doubt.  Just like a baby who can’t talk yet will throw a fit – and you know that if they could just communicate what they feel, all would be okay, but they can’t.  Autism lends itself to this same type of challenge.  Yet, what if they are experiencing a more advanced version of reality than we can see – and it is us who is not getting it – how maddening it would be to look from their shoes?

What is conscious evolution?  What do these amazing ‘autistic’ beings have to show us?  As Noel McInnis quotes in his blog:

Homo sapiens, the first truly free species, is about to decommission natural selection, the force that made us. … Soon we must look deep within ourselves and decide what we wish to become.” ~Edward O. Wilson in Consilience, The Unity of Knowledge.

Mankind is on the verge of an evolutionary leap in consciousness, to a whole new way of thinking and being that will put us as far above our present concept of “man” as modern man is above our stone age ancestors. Until roughly the present time, the forces of evolution have been external to mankind. Whether we think of these forces as essentially physical/biological, or essentially spiritual, in either case we have not consciously directed the course of our own evolution. This is simply where the journey has brought us.  But no more. From this point forward we will consciously participate in the direction of our own evolution. We will become what we choose to become. ~visionary Gregory Ellison

We must choose which direction we go, but as in all times of change, there are those who are the way-showers, the ones who lead the way, could the autistic people be them?  Is autism merely a difficult and disruptive disorder that we must seek to ‘cure’ or is it the signal of an evolutionary leap in consciousness here to show us the way?

Written by: Stasia Bliss

Sources: Rev Noel McInnis Blog; Noel Blog more; The Gift of Autism; National Health Stats report

35 Responses to "Autism – A Leap in the Evolution of Consciousness?"

1. Angelia Zilio   December 14, 2016 at 10:28 pm

Autism is an umbrella term for something that is much more complex then what this article interprets.

The developing brains of children have been influenced by the 1st world’s reliance on bubble wrapped physical developmental play, social isolation, and Visual stimulation through Phones, TV, and Games. These kids do not truely have autism and are developing differently. It is a adaption and different evolutionary process for those kids that shares mild characteristics of Autism. It is not real Autism.

REAL AUTISM however is not a gift at all it is a curse. I say that as someone with years of personal research, community involvement, birth defects, and having high functioning autism myself. Growing up was a nightmare for so many reasons. It was like my own body was torturing me and I was right it was.

Most cases of Autism are not caused by vaccines.They are caused by genetic birth defects like mine that affect all sorts of things from the tissue in the brain, the spinal cord, to the nervous system and other parts of the brain. Let me make this perfectly clear REAL AUTISM IS BRAIN DAMAGE. The re-wiring is simply the brain trying to cope with something that was never properly birthed to function correctly in the first place.

The biggest contributor to genetic birth defects around the planet is pollution and war. We are not evolving we are being forced to devolve. The genetic code of humanity could even be in jeopardy. 4 Major events that contributed to the raise in birth defects around the world are : The Abomb, Depleted Uranium used in the middle east, The Vietnam war where Napalm and Agent Orange were deployed, the forth is when agriculture in the west had been taken over by Monsanto the ones who caused birth defects in Vietnam. They spray watered down Agent Orange on crops. Vaccines are a nice distraction from the real problems.

The list of genetic birth defects I am most familiar with that result in Autism are : Fragile X, Prader will syndrome, Angelman syndrome, Williams syndrome, Ehler’s Danlos Syndrome, Marfan syndrome, Deletion/Duplication disorders, Orphan diseases, etc.

Many of these particularly the connective tissue related birth defects affect the nervous system, and also puts people at risk of Chiari Malformations. Problems with the brain and spinal cord are rampant in people with these genetic defects at birth. I was no exception. People with real Autism often struggle with a huge list of other health problems. We are often permanently disabled many of us want to commit suicide. The health problems of people with Autism range from severe mental illnesses to severe chronic physical pain. People with Autism are more likely to be bullied or abused. We are more likely to have a poor quality of life, lowself esteem, and difficulty having meaningful relationships with other people. We are more likely to have digestive problems, BRAIN FOG, brain damage, and seizure disorders. Only a rare few posses “GIFTS” Savant-ism or Synesthesia from the brain re-wiring. People with REAL are horribly disabled. That’s reality and it is absolutely horrible.

THIS IS NOT EVOLUTION THIS IS NEEDLESS DESTRUCTION OF PRECIOUS HUMAN LIFE!

• JLG   January 2, 2017 at 7:34 am

I’m autistic – and while it was hellish to grow up in an evangelical family that tried to use harsh and unholy physical force of all sorts to “make me normal,” as a middle aged woman I would not want to be any other way. I assume that if I could have “gotten in line” and marched to the beat of that drum I would have – but autism made it impossible no matter how hard I tried.

Well thank God for that! I do indeed live in a happy space that is often “contagious” for those around me. I honestly cannot “see” the limits that so many people claim they’re under – the world looks like a swarm of shadow boxers to me so often.

2015- 2016 were pivotal years for me. I saw so many social patterns that were clear and obvious long before my colleagues did, even when I expressed them quite clearly and logically. I was well prepared not to be shocked at the outcomes of 2016, which gave me peace in the storm of this past fall, which my friends seem to appreciate.

I’ve always valued some of my autistic “gifts” very much (I’m never bored!) yet I felt they came with a big “But…” that made it impossible for me not to wish hard at times to be Neuro-typical in social terms. However, recently I came to see my autistic wiring as I like to say, as a blessing for the first time in my life, and I’ve embraced it. I’m aware that I have unique viewpoints, I pretty much always have, but I no longer think of myself as “odd” – especially in light of the irrationality displayed all around me in a supposedly rational society. I now assume that as the world could use more out-of-the-box thinking, I have a solid place in this society. More to give than I had realized.

Blessings on your autistic journey. Let it be a good one. Your autism won’t be any less “real” when you learn to embrace its gifts without resistance (resistance = brain fog for me) – it’ll be your greatest gift in your enlightenment.

2. Bee   July 20, 2016 at 10:54 am

No one ever got anywhere from closing their mind. I agree 100% with the writer’s idea of what this difference or “autism”actually could be. Society is threatened by anything different, therefore try to “cure” by making cookie cutter kids and wrapping them up all nicely in a little box!

3. Kat   April 2, 2016 at 8:23 am

I love this! I’ve reached the same conclusion, more or less. 🙂

4. Michael B   March 26, 2016 at 6:59 am

The story teller is trying to persuade viewers with autism to accept their negative conditions as “the future”, even though they are all curable directly with amino acids and minerals from food sources, most of which reduce stress and improve brain function (B vitamins, Zinc – particulary for men, Magnesium, Vit C, Selenium – thyroid | immune system | social aspiration, Lithium in lemons, Molybdenum/copper balance), as well as removing anti-social people from their lives. After trying so hard with a compromised system for years, improving these put brain performance off the chart. HEALTHY is beyond evolution.

5. Paul Ziolo   March 26, 2016 at 4:17 am

The latest version of the ‘New (Dark) Age” fantasy that some “quantum leap in human consciousness” is just round the corner.

So we’re all going to wake up one Monday morning all “loving each other”?

I don’t think so.

6. Samual Smith   March 23, 2016 at 10:56 am

Fruit Cake

7. Fiona Gregory   September 7, 2015 at 4:06 pm

Not everyone who is autistic has a larger head than normal. They are quite often blonde though and wonder if this gave rise to the blonde jokes about women.

8. hiding   April 20, 2015 at 10:04 pm

I know this is probably meant to make auties feel better about themselves, but it just makes me feel more depressed about not fitting in or being able to function like everybody else does. I don’t want to be special or highly evolved, I want my family to not think i’m weird and include me in their activities instead of avoiding me.

• Michael B   April 26, 2015 at 1:08 am

I know what you mean.

When I was much worse, life was bascially:

Outside the home in public – a full time actor
      Around friends – a full time psycho-analyst
      By myself – a full time philosopher/monk, trying to keep it together

You need quite a lot of love to aspire to anything at all and to follow your dreams…

Improving the immune system really helps (big surprise)….

-Lithium foods are probably the greatest all time improver. eg 2 fresh squeezed lemon drinks/day
      -Selenium foods, also improves thyroid, metabolism, neuro aspirations, reduces sulfites, lets you eat gluten, and helps the gut. Eg. Brazil nuts
      -Eggs.. B2, molybdenum, Cysteine, amongst other things, helps the gut and immune system
      -Spinach.. B6, Zinc, folinic acid (real folate) improves the adrenals, dopamine (happiness), focus, can also compeltely remove depressive and anxiety disorders.
      -Fructose/Sugar.. the major reducer of the neurotoxin (in excess) glutamate.

There are people that mean well but say the wrong thing. And there’s people that don’t mean well and say the wrong thing…

9. Berthajane Vandegrift   March 18, 2015 at 11:04 am

Autism, and for that matter most of what we label mental illness, may merely be part of nature’s attempts to organize adaptations to our changing environment. Random mutation and natural selection eliminates gross errors, but doesn’t create anything. Novel adaptations are organized by a creative intelligence innate to life itself, and like all creative processes, is imperfect. I prefer to think of myself as an active participant in an imperfectly-created, evolving universe, rather than an impotent observer of an indifferent, mechanical reality. Thus, my thoughts and actions matter, as I strive to change and adapt – and make my small contribution to the growth of this great responsive, living complexity. And if my contributions seem limited, they are enormous when compared to what I might enjoy under the concept of genetic determinism.
    Berthajane Vandegrift

• Sharne   April 25, 2015 at 7:25 am

I believe the human mind and brain is evolving therefore Autistic people are the product of evolution that is evolution of the homo sapien species, one can often wonder if there are different species of humans walking the planet there has been evidence of this thousands of years ago so why not now ??are Autistic people a different species altogether that’s why the spectrum is so far and wide and why there is no cure no answer not one specific gene or gene mutation not one external or environmental factor. People with the best brains in the world are said to have Autistic behaviours thus reinforcing the idea of the human brain evolving and being able do new or advanced things msinstream people cannot. The Autistic brain thinks differently we can also see from evidence Autistic people have larger heads than norm thus may have a larger brain is this similar to Homo Erectus and Homo Sapiens?? Homo Erectus were stronger and more physically capable than homo Sapiens but the brain of the Homo Sapien was larger it developed use of frontal lobe aquireing language thus communicating with each other and in climate change think of ways to adapt and find food so they survived and Homo Erectus Died out. Taking a scientific perspective as to why autism is increasing you would say it is apart of evolution evolution of the mind for humans to move forward as a species our brains need to increase capacity and ability as I said some of the great minds of the world are Autistic and a lot of psychics claim to be on the spectrum , as With anything the quest for perfection comes at a price so with that evolutionary process of the mind will produce some beings that were not able to adapt to this new information in the brain therefore causing the being to be impaired by the overwhelming changes that are evolving . Some adapt and produce things that normal minded people could never do or dream of doing which moves us forward as species thus the mind is evolving and Autism is a product of evolution

• g   October 9, 2015 at 1:47 pm

You are right. ..different species

10. me   March 10, 2015 at 9:49 am

I’d suggest not that autism is the evolutionary advance as posed by the author, but rather the symptom of an incomplete evolutionary advance that requires an expanded neural gateway to process stimulation. Hence the anecdotal “twice gifted” children who show the promise of heightened awareness being held back by an overload of information.

11. Michael B   February 23, 2015 at 3:09 am

Autistic people are much more sensitive because they have no amino acids proceeding to the adrenal system to feel strong, focused and to stand up for themselves, they instead get paranoid. They also have sensitivities to light and sound because of a B6 block restricting Cysteine (also creating sulfites, and draining the thyroid Selenium levels), and homocysteine recycling for the adrenal system (methylation). It’s an autoimmune disorder. Please do something about her health. She is coping thanks to god, but it is the devils work.

12. Tiffany twidwell   February 22, 2015 at 9:29 pm

I agree 100% I have prayed and asked God many questions about this and without any studies of my own just listening and spending hours upon hours with my daughter she has shown me so many spiritual things, things I never learned from preachers, teachers, prophets or evangelist! There is definitely something changing and our father in heaven has it amen

13. Michael W   February 19, 2015 at 7:02 am

Michael Boag, do you personally have a loved one diagnosed? You would not understand the evolution theory at all if you do not. I do understand and found this because of my gutt feelingly alone. My son has special abilities that I could discuss with you for hours. He would laugh at your comments because you surely do not understand and of course you don’t. You are not capable.

• Michael Boag   February 19, 2015 at 7:15 am

I have it myself, and I’m trying desperately to improve my immune system and get on with my life and improve my social skills. Don’t belittle others. Stick to facts of the argument. If you think your son is special or unique in some way, that’s no reason to wish harm on the world. Help him and fix his immune system up, and he will be even smarter, wiser, happier, and will enjoy the things in life others do.

14. Nate LaChae   January 28, 2015 at 3:57 pm

It would help is Michael Boag would give some references to support his opinion.

15. Michael Boag   December 14, 2014 at 8:52 pm

Big surprise autism is on the rise when Folic Acid supplementation after the first few weeks of pregnancy is proven to mechanically increase the chances of autism!!!

Folic acid supplementation is MANDATORY in wheat products in most western countries under the pretense of birth defects, so people use more. It’s Pteroyl-l-glutamate. Glutamate/MSG and mercury products mechanically drain the immune system and create methyltrapping, destroying CBS pathways, creating gluten intollerance, retarding social and mental development. YEAH THIS IS PROGRESS!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Berthajane Vandegrift   September 24, 2014 at 4:42 pm

Autism is said to have increased dramatically in recent years. Some people speculate that autism is an aspect of evolution, a response to our change in lifestyle. We used to call inheritance of acquired characteristics Lamarckism. We now call it epigenetics and acknowledge that lifestyle can influence biology over multiple generations. Some species may have achieved stasis and stopped evolving, but humans appear to be in the process of dynamic change. The way children spend their childhoods has changed profoundly. What could be a more dramatic change than children spending hours a day looking at symbols on paper and transcribing them into abstract thoughts? Maybe our persistent emphasis upon reading and learning is eroding some of our intuitive abilities, and we are all becoming less conforming. Some autistic children have savant abilities, and appear overwhelmed by super-sensitivities, such as sight or hearing. Like all creative processes, Nature’s ability to devise adaptive change is tentative and imperfect – sometimes producing partial results. Not all of Nature’s innovations are successful; just some of them. Are we labeling Natures incomplete adaptations mental illness?
    Berthajane Vandegrift
    A Few Autistic Questions about Freud, Marx and Darwin

17. Amy   August 29, 2014 at 12:30 pm

I have Asperger’s, and this article is absolutely ridiculous.

18. rvx   August 12, 2014 at 9:56 am

Good article. So we need another big treatment to Mother during pregnancy?

19. vicky gleitz   August 4, 2014 at 7:48 pm

I am Autistic and I believe that autism being evolution as basically the only hope for the inhabitants of this planet.

20. Sheogorath   July 28, 2014 at 7:34 pm

One out of every 68 children born today is said to have autism.

FTFY. As the CDC says, “About 1 in 68 children has been identified with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) according to estimates from CDC’s Autism and Developmental Disabilities Monitoring (ADDM) Network.”

21. Berthajane Vandegrift   February 24, 2014 at 2:24 pm

Could autism be an incomplete, imperfect, experimental adaptation to a rapidly changing environment? Our environment has changed dramatically in the past few centuries. Children spend their childhoods sitting at desks, stressing their brains. If you believe evolution is driven by purposeful adaptations, rather than random mutations, you would expect Man to be in the process of change. Many of those adaptations might be tentative and incomplete.
    Mine is a personal story about a time when psychoanalysis for mother was the treatment for autism.
    Berthajane Vandegrift

• Sheogorath   July 28, 2014 at 7:36 pm

I see you subscribe to the discredited ‘refrigerator mother’ theory. Or should I say hypothesis since it was never adequately proven.

22. hessiafae   September 1, 2013 at 1:00 am

My sentiment exactly!

23. nikki   August 12, 2013 at 11:33 pm

” Is autism merely a difficult and disruptive disorder that we must seek to ‘cure’ or is it the signal of an evolutionary leap in consciousness here to show us the way?”
    It is neither I believe. I have full understanding for the tendency of young aspies on their forum to take a rather bold and proud view of themselves but this text takes it to a new level. the ‘chrystal children’ theory is anything but new but instead of accepting differences, now a whole spiritual approach is pushed upon us with some sort of evolutionary claim.. What is an acceptable defence mechanism against discrimination and inequity becomes suddenly an elitist idea?
    I don’t think the parents that struggle with their children’s meltdowns, those distressed children themselves, the teenagers and young adults that fall into depression and are unemployed or institutionalized, not to mention the many adult autists that have never been diagnosed and are isolated and forgotten, will find much consolation in the hypothesis that they may well be some sort of ‘chosen ones’ to show everybody the way..

• hessiafae   September 1, 2013 at 1:12 am

It gives me a great deal of consultation to feel that I have a purpose. It’s not an elitist thing, I believe it takes all kinds. It’s not a magical thinking/religiousity thing, it’s nature. I could not see any clear purpose or meaning to my life, or have any faith in my abilities before realizing my diagnosis. Also, I carried a lot of guilt around for past behaviors. It does not excuse, but it does explain. This is a starting point for healing.

24. Jose Marquez   June 19, 2013 at 11:07 am

“Autism bridge is being built in the Earth and Heavenly Higher Dimensions. Have only a few at this time understanding the sacred Higher Mysteries of Autism. Learning these mysteries is under teachers given that role. That is the first step. Awakening under these teaching is the role of autism families.” Lyrica Mia Marquez..AWEtism: A Hidden Key To Our Spiritual Magnificence..

25. Brandy N.   June 18, 2013 at 10:51 am

I can definitely see possibilities here with this line of thought. I was diagnosed with high functioning autism in 2010. In my dealings with others on the spectrum (from low functioning to high and everything in between) I find an honesty, a directness, a type of connection with others and with the earth and all its inhabitants I had not seen nor experienced before. What a relief! Even spending a bit of time in online communities comprised of mostly those on the autism spectrum such as wrongplanet.net, the game playing and bullying simply does not exist for the most part, but what does exist is answers and solutions. In the state of our world today, I don’t think we have time for more games, egotistical competition, and disregard for our inner and outer worlds. Lets get solutions. The autistic brain can’t help but see solutions. Even the non-verbal child can tell us without using words how the environment is affecting us as a whole. Listen with all of your senses.

26. Maxautism   June 18, 2013 at 10:11 am

This type of dialogue is dangerous . The best way to not find an answer is not to look for it.

• Cornelia Niebuhr   October 19, 2013 at 2:13 am

DANGEROUS is anything concerning the feeling to be special…think… do whatever makes you happy without disturbing anyone or anything else that feels just right the way he/ she is and acts that way.This is my statement. If you want to be part of the evolution 🙂 spread your genes, not your maybe genious :-))))…BEING HAPPY is important , survival of the fittest happens while you are thinking about it :-)….said by a nonautistic person with a notsospecial brain looking at the world

27. Lenny Schafer   June 18, 2013 at 8:11 am

“I can no longer see Autism as a disability.” Shayew can spout this nonsense from his fantasy world as much as he likes, it will not change autism as a disability. People who attempt to trivialize autism to promote as something less than a disability are doing harm to the disabled. It is immoral to exploit the disable so. But please feel free to distort Asperger’s syndrome, which is not a disability and not on the autism spectrum.