Autism – A Leap in the Evolution of Consciousness?

Austism a leap in the evolution of consciousness?
One out of every 38 children born today is said to have autism. Autism, as it has been experienced by many, is an overwhelming condition which no doubt, takes a lot of attention and energy from parents and family.  Could autism be more than a neural development disorder which inhibits social interaction and ‘normal’ growth? What if autism was ahead of it’s time and instead of a disorder, a signal to a great leap in the evolution of consciousness?   Rev. Noel McInnis, diagnosed with a mild case of autism himself a number of years ago, author of numerous philosophical and spiritually based books and writings muses in this direction.

In one of Noel’s blogs titled “Autism’s Ultimate Cause: An Evolutionary Make-over” he begins:

I intuitively feel that the ultimate cause of autism is an emerging subjective evolutionary makeover of an outmoded, non-sustainable order of consciousness with which we objectify people, animals, the environment, and reality in general.  In other words, autism may be a NEW and SUBJECTIVE order of consciousness that cannot accommodate the prevailing old DISorder of consciousness that tends to totally objectify our experiencing of reality. Accordingly, it is so-called “neuro-normalism” that tends to be disordering of our consciousness, while autism is an evolutionary correction thereof – a re-education of our human sensibilities.

A re-education of our human sensibilities – wow.  Ponder that for a moment. Rev. Noel McInnis is not alone in his view of autism.  Lori Shayew, creator of ‘The Gifts of Autism’ website asks a very similar question – “What if the autistic state of mind and way of viewing the world represents, not a defect that we must correct, but an evolutionary step up? What if millions of autistic individuals are here to show us neuro-typicals a different way, a way of living that can potentially be more spiritually satisfying, more deeply connected, more co-creative and profoundly meaningful than we can imagine?”

And from Shayew’s up-coming book of the same title:

I can no longer see Autism as a disability. My perception has evolved. I now know that the condition of Autism is here with us in such great numbers as a gift. If we are willing to look, our autistic brothers and sisters can give us a glimpse into our future – into a possible world where we are not so driven by our personalities and egos. We might see a world of beauty, connection and artistry, rather than our world of self-consciousness and commerce. We might see the possibility of Spiritual communication with each other, of reverence for each moment, of the healing power of unconditional love.

If you have ever known or interacted with an ‘autistic’ person, you know there is something special about them, you can feel it.  They draw you into the present moment in a way no one else can and lure you away from the troubles of your mind into a space of joyful freedom.  Challenges present themselves with those who are ‘autistic’ when you try and impose upon them the regulations and limitations of our agreed upon reality.  However, if you relinquish attachment to ‘how things ought to be’ and simply allow the moment to happen as it wishes to unfold, these beautiful beings will lead you into a space far greater than the one you currently reside in.

I am not saying that many of us do not live in a beautiful reality, I can say I do – largely.  For most of us it seems, however,  that we waver in and out between the ‘blissful’ and the ‘ordinary and mundane’, hoping to find more blissful than ordinary in any given day.  For those who are named ‘autistic’, there isn’t that choice – they simply exist in a reality that is set – the fluctuation comes in our interaction with them and our response.

Sometimes these beings get frustrated, no doubt.  Just like a baby who can’t talk yet will throw a fit – and you know that if they could just communicate what they feel, all would be okay, but they can’t.  Autism lends itself to this same type of challenge.  Yet, what if they are experiencing a more advanced version of reality than we can see – and it is us who is not getting it – how maddening it would be to look from their shoes?

What is conscious evolution?  What do these amazing ‘autistic’ beings have to show us?  As Noel McInnis quotes in his blog:

Homo sapiens, the first truly free species, is about to decommission natural selection, the force that made us. … Soon we must look deep within ourselves and decide what we wish to become.” ~Edward O. Wilson in Consilience, The Unity of Knowledge.

Mankind is on the verge of an evolutionary leap in consciousness, to a whole new way of thinking and being that will put us as far above our present concept of “man” as modern man is above our stone age ancestors. Until roughly the present time, the forces of evolution have been external to mankind. Whether we think of these forces as essentially physical/biological, or essentially spiritual, in either case we have not consciously directed the course of our own evolution. This is simply where the journey has brought us.  But no more. From this point forward we will consciously participate in the direction of our own evolution. We will become what we choose to become. ~visionary Gregory Ellison

We must choose which direction we go, but as in all times of change, there are those who are the way-showers, the ones who lead the way, could the autistic people be them?  Is autism merely a difficult and disruptive disorder that we must seek to ‘cure’ or is it the signal of an evolutionary leap in consciousness here to show us the way?

Written by: Stasia Bliss

Sources: Rev Noel McInnis Blog; Noel Blog more; The Gift of Autism; National Health Stats report

38 Responses to "Autism – A Leap in the Evolution of Consciousness?"

1. loans no credit check unsecured   March 10, 2019 at 1:52 pm

I respect the reasoning in this article, however I hope to see additional info from you in time.

2. Lina Sypher   March 8, 2019 at 4:59 pm

I haven¡¦t checked in here for a while because I thought it was getting boring, but the last few posts are great quality so I guess I will add you back to my everyday bloglist. You deserve it my friend

3. Lee   January 29, 2018 at 4:32 pm

Going through my own spiritual journey I have experienced higher levels of consciousness as I move and continue to grow as well expand my thinking. Speaking with my high functioning daughter about Pokémon, I realized the creator has also probably reached a certain level of consciousness, essentially these pokemon things evolve and gain different perspectives and attain different powers.. I thought to myself looking at her “maybe her “disability” is truly not one and only our ego and belief systems says it is. Perhaps her level of consciousness is just more advanced” Google the creator of Pokémon. Turns out he is autistic. I’m definitely starting to see a connection here and its why I was brought to this article.

4. Angelia Zilio   December 14, 2016 at 10:28 pm

Autism is an umbrella term for something that is much more complex then what this article interprets.

The developing brains of children have been influenced by the 1st world’s reliance on bubble wrapped physical developmental play, social isolation, and Visual stimulation through Phones, TV, and Games. These kids do not truely have autism and are developing differently. It is a adaption and different evolutionary process for those kids that shares mild characteristics of Autism. It is not real Autism.

REAL AUTISM however is not a gift at all it is a curse. I say that as someone with years of personal research, community involvement, birth defects, and having high functioning autism myself. Growing up was a nightmare for so many reasons. It was like my own body was torturing me and I was right it was.

Most cases of Autism are not caused by vaccines.They are caused by genetic birth defects like mine that affect all sorts of things from the tissue in the brain, the spinal cord, to the nervous system and other parts of the brain. Let me make this perfectly clear REAL AUTISM IS BRAIN DAMAGE. The re-wiring is simply the brain trying to cope with something that was never properly birthed to function correctly in the first place.

The biggest contributor to genetic birth defects around the planet is pollution and war. We are not evolving we are being forced to devolve. The genetic code of humanity could even be in jeopardy. 4 Major events that contributed to the raise in birth defects around the world are : The Abomb, Depleted Uranium used in the middle east, The Vietnam war where Napalm and Agent Orange were deployed, the forth is when agriculture in the west had been taken over by Monsanto the ones who caused birth defects in Vietnam. They spray watered down Agent Orange on crops. Vaccines are a nice distraction from the real problems.

The list of genetic birth defects I am most familiar with that result in Autism are : Fragile X, Prader will syndrome, Angelman syndrome, Williams syndrome, Ehler’s Danlos Syndrome, Marfan syndrome, Deletion/Duplication disorders, Orphan diseases, etc.

Many of these particularly the connective tissue related birth defects affect the nervous system, and also puts people at risk of Chiari Malformations. Problems with the brain and spinal cord are rampant in people with these genetic defects at birth. I was no exception. People with real Autism often struggle with a huge list of other health problems. We are often permanently disabled many of us want to commit suicide. The health problems of people with Autism range from severe mental illnesses to severe chronic physical pain. People with Autism are more likely to be bullied or abused. We are more likely to have a poor quality of life, lowself esteem, and difficulty having meaningful relationships with other people. We are more likely to have digestive problems, BRAIN FOG, brain damage, and seizure disorders. Only a rare few posses “GIFTS” Savant-ism or Synesthesia from the brain re-wiring. People with REAL are horribly disabled. That’s reality and it is absolutely horrible.

THIS IS NOT EVOLUTION THIS IS NEEDLESS DESTRUCTION OF PRECIOUS HUMAN LIFE!

• JLG   January 2, 2017 at 7:34 am

I’m autistic – and while it was hellish to grow up in an evangelical family that tried to use harsh and unholy physical force of all sorts to “make me normal,” as a middle aged woman I would not want to be any other way. I assume that if I could have “gotten in line” and marched to the beat of that drum I would have – but autism made it impossible no matter how hard I tried.

Well thank God for that! I do indeed live in a happy space that is often “contagious” for those around me. I honestly cannot “see” the limits that so many people claim they’re under – the world looks like a swarm of shadow boxers to me so often.

2015- 2016 were pivotal years for me. I saw so many social patterns that were clear and obvious long before my colleagues did, even when I expressed them quite clearly and logically. I was well prepared not to be shocked at the outcomes of 2016, which gave me peace in the storm of this past fall, which my friends seem to appreciate.

I’ve always valued some of my autistic “gifts” very much (I’m never bored!) yet I felt they came with a big “But…” that made it impossible for me not to wish hard at times to be Neuro-typical in social terms. However, recently I came to see my autistic wiring as I like to say, as a blessing for the first time in my life, and I’ve embraced it. I’m aware that I have unique viewpoints, I pretty much always have, but I no longer think of myself as “odd” – especially in light of the irrationality displayed all around me in a supposedly rational society. I now assume that as the world could use more out-of-the-box thinking, I have a solid place in this society. More to give than I had realized.

Blessings on your autistic journey. Let it be a good one. Your autism won’t be any less “real” when you learn to embrace its gifts without resistance (resistance = brain fog for me) – it’ll be your greatest gift in your enlightenment.

5. Bee   July 20, 2016 at 10:54 am

No one ever got anywhere from closing their mind. I agree 100% with the writer’s idea of what this difference or “autism”actually could be. Society is threatened by anything different, therefore try to “cure” by making cookie cutter kids and wrapping them up all nicely in a little box!

6. Kat   April 2, 2016 at 8:23 am

I love this! I’ve reached the same conclusion, more or less. 🙂

7. Michael B   March 26, 2016 at 6:59 am

The story teller is trying to persuade viewers with autism to accept their negative conditions as “the future”, even though they are all curable directly with amino acids and minerals from food sources, most of which reduce stress and improve brain function (B vitamins, Zinc – particulary for men, Magnesium, Vit C, Selenium – thyroid | immune system | social aspiration, Lithium in lemons, Molybdenum/copper balance), as well as removing anti-social people from their lives. After trying so hard with a compromised system for years, improving these put brain performance off the chart. HEALTHY is beyond evolution.

8. Paul Ziolo   March 26, 2016 at 4:17 am

The latest version of the ‘New (Dark) Age” fantasy that some “quantum leap in human consciousness” is just round the corner.

So we’re all going to wake up one Monday morning all “loving each other”?

I don’t think so.

9. Samual Smith   March 23, 2016 at 10:56 am

Fruit Cake

10. Fiona Gregory   September 7, 2015 at 4:06 pm

Not everyone who is autistic has a larger head than normal. They are quite often blonde though and wonder if this gave rise to the blonde jokes about women.