A site called Dual Pixels has posted a rumor stating that the next Pokémon games to be released will be called Pokémon Plus and Pokémon Minus. This information, they say, comes from a source named “Geno” who previously leaked information about other games, such as Castlevania: Mirrors of Fate and the Kingdom Hearts HD Remix, as well as information about the E3, an annual trade fair for the computer and video games industry.
Dual Pixels does make the admission that not all of Geno’s rumors have been proven true, but they add that a large number of key predictions have been accurate. The site also notes that just because a rumor doesn’t become reality, this doesn’t mean it is false. The nature of the gaming industry is such that game plans could change, they point out.
The site also states that there will be more updates on the current rumor from this same source, but the following is some of the information that they have been given so far:
- The two new Generation VII games have been given the codenames Pokémon Plus and Pokémon Minus, but these could be the final names as well.
- The theme for the games will be “Old Tradition vs. New Exploration.”
- The new games could be made for the Wii U.
- GameFreak, which was one of the first development studies within Nintendo to get Alpha-Prototype hardware, has now been upgraded to Beta-Prototype. The “Pokken Fighters” render that went out as a teaser was running Alpha-Prototype hardware, but the new Beta-Prototype hardware will have advance cell shading, giving it a very detailed “living anime” appearance.
- The new battle system has been completely redone and made simpler.
- More traditional gameplay will occur on the Handheld controller, while there will be a new aspect to gameplay on the Terminal unit.
- The new as-yet-unnamed region is based upon Southeast Asia and may have a large peninsula and many islands. It currently has a few areas mapped out, but there is a lot of concept art which is being shuttled back and forth. Routes between islands will be connected by water bridges and underwater tunnels. In keeping with the Southeast Asia theme, there will be a “Stone Slowking” statue which is a parody of the Reclining Buddha at Wat Pho, Thailand.
- GameFreak is trying out many new ideas that they’ve been holding onto for awhile.
- The three new starter pokémon have not yet been named, but they include the following: a Water type that evolves into Water/Steel and is a teardrop-shaped humanoid with a jar on its head which gets filled and grows as it evolves, necessitating another set of arms to hold it; a fire type which evolves into Fire/Fairy that is a tiny goat with fire escaping from its horns who eventually develops a look like a cross between a ram and a hot rod as it reaches its final evolution; a Grass type who evolves into Grass/Electric and goes from being in the form of a face with a root-like body to an electrical palm tree with multiple flower-petal faces.
- The main legendary pokémon in Pokémon Plus will be a Psychic/Ground type with multiple faces who looks somewhat similar to a Shi Foo Lion. The main legendary for Pokémon Minus will be a Ghost/Fairy type that has two dashes for eyes and many hurricane-like arms.
- Many pokémon from the Hoenn and Sinnoh regions will make an appearance.
- There will be a new type of pokémon that are similar to shinies. There were no other details given about this new type by the source, other than that they will “change the game significantly.”
- The new villains have been described as being like “Sohei Zealots” who have learned that the player’s best friend is a reincarnation of a type of person with special abilities–such as creating mega evolutions without using a mega ring–who is only reincarnated every 100 years. They believe in an old system where people are assigned a pokémon egg and stay with that pokémon for their rest of their lives. Under this system, the person’s role in society is controlled by the function of the pokémon. They do not agree with the modern system where pokémon trainers capture multiple pokémon. Because of this clash between their beliefs and the modern way, they are going on a journey to ask the legendaries to return things to the way they once were. They will keep the player away from their friend, saying that he only loves pokémon and not humans. It will eventually be revealed that the friend must die to wake up the legendaries.
- There are a variety of Pokémon Gyms, including one that has a mail system that uses flying type pokémon and focuses primarily on sky battles. Another uses only baby pokémon and yet another uses Ghost and Dark pokémon. One Gym will have a military-style leader who uses Fire and Steel types.
- The gameplay with Gym Leaders and the Elite Four can be played entirely on the Handheld and can be blown up on the Terminal for home play.
- The “Mainland” is an MMO-like environment that is only available on the Terminal. It is shared by both versions. Players worldwide can chat, trade, mingle and experience updated story lines in this area.
- Pokémon Band is an experience which is intended to give people who do not battle an opportunity to interact together by having their pokémon dance and make music in order to achieve a high group score.
- The Mainland and Handheld areas of the game will have actual Pokémon Banks where people can import pokémon from Pokémon X and Pokémon Y.
Although Dual Pixel’s source appears to have supplied a lot of convincing details about future plans for a new generation of games called Pokémon Plus and Pokémon Minus, it is unclear at this point just how true this rumor is. Whatever the case may be, it has given hungry Pokémon fans food for thought as they anticipate where the games series might venture to next.
By Nancy Schimelpfening