The Walking Dead Marathon, which starts on Thursday July 4 at 1PM/12c and AMC is inviting fans of the show to tune into their Season 4 Preview Weekend and catch up on the series that has been hailed by USA Today as “one of the season’s best series.” Since we are quite excited about the marathon, we thought that we’d give you some ‘Walking Dead’ facts that you may not know.
Since the television series of The Walking Dead premiered on October 31, 2010, on the cable television channel AMC in the United States it has proved to be a favourite with audiences the world over. They are now moving into their fourth season of the show, which is filming in Atlanta right now. We think that the show has some interesting little tidbits that you just might find interesting.
10 Things you didn’t know about The Walking Dead:
1. Actor Norman Reedus loves his crossbow! The 44 year-old actor loves the crossbow that his character Daryl Dixon uses so much, that he takes it home with him after he’s finished shooting. It’s a $300 Horton Scout HD, in case you ever feel the need to buy a crossbow…
2. Staying on the Character of Daryl Dixon; he’s not even a character from the comic book that the show is based on! He is entirely a fictional creation of the television show’s writers, although he does feature in the 2013 video game of The Walking Dead along with his equally “made-up” brother Merle.
3. Another character who has been “changed” a bit from the comic book is Glenn Rhee, in the comic, he is only known as Glenn. He doesn’t appear to have a surname.
4. Out of the 17 deaths in season three, 14 were killed by other survivors and only three were killed by “walkers.”
5. While filming the shows, the survivors eat separately from the zombies (or walkers).
6. Actor Stephen Yeun who plays survivor Glenn Rhee can really sing and play guitar!
7. Executive Producer of The Walking Dead, FX meister Greg Nicotero revealed that before the show wound up on AMC, both NBC and HBO expressed interest in the show, but they both wanted the violence and “comic book” gore toned down. Fail!
8. In both the comic book and the TV series the ‘walking dead’ aren’t referred to a zombies very often, because according to the comic and TV show’s creators, in The Walking Dead world, no one has heard of zombies, because “zombie fiction” doesn’t exist. Which explains the names that the survivors use instead; Lurkers, Walkers, Floaters, Roamers, and Biters…
9. To date, on the television show, there have been 349 walkers killed. The “top three” survivors with the most walker counts are Rick Grimes (as the ultimate bad*ss) with a score of 86 kills; Daryl Dixon with his cooler-than-cool crossbow is second with 41 kills, and Andrea has a score of 22.
10. And last, but by no means least, the first episode of season three was watched by over 10 million viewers! That makes that episode the most popular of the entire series.
So there you have it! 10 things you didn’t know about The Walking Dead! Or maybe you did. But don’t forget to participate in our poll and vote for your favourite character and remember to set your timers for the fantastic AMC July 4 weekend marathon of The Walking Dead!
By Michael Smith